Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new speeds and cheaper prices. 25mb/50mb/100mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just text in asking Matt to challenge her on the standalone charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

UPC head coming on Last Word on Today fm in a moment so get those questions/ comments in!

Didnt spend too long on the broadband. Matt says everyone interested in the TV offering :rolleyes:

EDIT: ppl obviously texting in about broadband he now says people are interested in broadband. She said existing customers will get SMS with regards to phased upgrade of speeds. No mention of price

I wonder would it be legit to challenge them on the standalone charge with comreg or whatever regulatory body exists for them.

Its pretty much false adversiting to say 100meg is 65euro then say actually no we lied is 72.75 because you dont take our rubbish tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

I swear UPC set out to confuse people I asked on Twitter will the 30 meg be upgraded to 50 meg, got not automatically but can be requested as part of the bundle

now on the last word they said phased upgrade and SMS

can they just not give a straight answer to simple questions

Shin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Am tempted now. €3 more for an increase of 20MB.

Same here.
    €3 for 20MB - *your avatar is how I feel about that*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

F1ngers wrote: »
    Same here.
    €3 for 20MB - *your avatar is how I feel about that*

lol

Just waiting for news on the cap before i fully decide.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Damo9090 wrote: »
    lol

Just waiting for news on the cap before i fully decide.

I asked by DM on twitter and was told 250GB and was given a link to the AUP page that says nothing about 50MB. http://ow.ly/4NY72
    So, same cap with 20MB increase for €3 is good enough for me.

F1ngers wrote: »
    So, same cap with 20MB increase for €3 is good enough for me.

I suppose 20MB for €3 is a good deal, it just means i will hit the cap much faster than normal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the cap for the 50Mb package gets increased I'll upgrade to that no bother but otherwise I might be looking to downgrade to the 25Mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Does this mean that UPC have now removed their entry level broadband product/price (€32.75)?

That's a total joke if its true

• Advertisement

Does this mean that UPC have now removed their entry level broadband product/price (€32.75)?

I think there is more news coming on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Bloody upgraded to the 30MB two days ago. Would have stayed with the 20Mb if I knew this was moving to 25MB. Will be charged a €10 downgrade fee now to move to the 25MB. arse

Ah, I'd say they might shift off that. UPC have been very good to me in the past with things and I've been on their tails many a time. They're not too bad: mention how you're a long term customer, yadda yadda yadda...
    UPC head coming on Last Word on Today fm in a moment so get those questions/ comments in!

Anyone got a link to the playback of the show? It's not on the website.
    Or, is it not worth listening to?

They won't, they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Anyone got a link to the playback of the show? It's not on the website..

[Here]
    Matt Cooper, Part 1, 13 minutes in

[Just to be aware you only have 7 days from today to listen back before it's replaced]

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

As a fairly recent Vodafone customer I rarely even got 5mb broadband for 49 euro a month so if UPC are asking me to another 5mb to my current 20 for an extra euro I'll say err yes please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Not sure if to pay the extra for the 50 (currently on the 30Mbit package) as I've never got constant speeds over 20Mbit during peak hours, so if I get the new modem will this mean that they will not be hit by congestion issues due to Docsis 3.0 modem and the way that works?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not sure if to pay the extra for the 50 (currently on the 30Mbit package) as I've never got constant speeds over 20Mbit during peak hours, so if I get the new modem will this mean that they will not be hit by congestion issues due to Docsis 3.0 modem and the way that works?

You are far less likely to get hit by congestion at 50Mb/s on DOCSIS 3 then 20MB/s on DOCSIS 2

The reason being DOCSIS 2 has a total of 56Mb/s of bandwidth shared between you and all of your neighbours. In other words, 3 people using 20Mb/s at the same time will max it out.

DOCSIS 3 on the other hand has a total of 224Mb/s of bandwidth to share between you and all your neighbours. In other words, it will take 4.5 people to max it out at 50Mb/s and 11 people to max it out at 20Mb/s.

But that doesn't take into account the general rule that the more bandwidth you have the better congestion is handled. Think of it this way, you will download the file over twice as fast at 50Mb/s then 20Mb/s thus freeing up the full bandwidth to be used by others in your neighbourhood twice as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Would I be correct in saying, going from 30Mb to 50Mb you get a new modem?

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying, going from 30Mb to 50Mb you get a new modem?

Apparently yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

Costs you 40 euro for the modem.
    Self-installing the modem is free though.

But you never actually own the modem?! So why should we pay for it?

• Advertisement

Just spotted this on twitter to further confuse things... I think in general is they dont know what the pricing will be :p
    @davidconde Standalone charge may not apply to everyone. We would have to confirm with team that charge will apply to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

fionny wrote: »
    Just spotted this on twitter to further confuse things... I think in general is they dont know what the pricing will be :p

They probably just mean it won't apply to the people with tv.

I don't know why they just don't call the damn fee line rental. Everybody pays it, its just inclusive on the tv package. If they separated it out it would make everything much less confusing.

It was in response to a guy who was angry about it not being shown so there is a glimmer.... maybe they wont charge it on top level packages... i hope!

If I can get 100meg for 65euro im but if its actually 72.75 they can fly.

Just got DM back from them:
    Standalone charege will apply €52.25 per mth for 50MB, €72.25 for 100Mb, + activation charge for modem, (1/2)

-€40 for tech install, €20 for self install – self install not available for 100Mb. Plz let us know if you have any Qs (2/2)

Looks like ill just go for thr 50meg then see as its pretty much what im paying for the 30meg anyway.

I am getting confused by all this , i have 2 HD box's with them , i have a 30 meg broadband. Do i get upgraded to 50 meg without charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

still, €40 for an engineer install of the 100mbps is a lot better than the €80 install they were charging initially for it during the trials.

and the standalone charge seems to still apply unless you have the triple play "phone, tv & bb"? you'd think they'd knock it off considering how much you're paying for the 100mbps broadband, compared to someone with just the very basic triple play who they drop it for?

i'd be tempted by the tv if they had managed to make it a proper alternative to sky+ or skyHD, but its just not up to scratch imho. :(

having said that, i'd be tempted to drop sky altogether if i had 100mbps and 500gb per month to use up on downloading and/or streaming tv & movies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I am getting confused by all this , i have 2 HD box's with them , i have a 30 meg broadband. Do i get upgraded to 50 meg without charge ?
    it looks like you can request an upgrade initially at the monthly charge fionny mentions in the post above, but be subject to a new 12 month contract, or wait a few months for them to upgrade you automatically like they did when they moved everyone from 20mbps to 30mbps a year or two ago (i forget when exactly it was. :)).

vibe666 wrote: »
    it looks like you can request an upgrade initially at the monthly charge fionny mentions in the post above, but be subject to a new 12 month contract, or wait a few months for them to upgrade you automatically like they did when they moved everyone from 20mbps to 30mbps a year or two ago (i forget when exactly it was. :)).

Will they charge for that ? I was on the verge of ordering a 100 meg line anyway. But they were Charging me 100 for the upgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ok i am horribly confused by all of this, currently in the house i live in were getting 30meg broadband and the max tv package costing around €90 a month, could i request an upgrade to that all inclusive package for €85 a month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

bk wrote: »
    You are far less likely to get hit by congestion at 50Mb/s on DOCSIS 3 then 20MB/s on DOCSIS 2

The reason being DOCSIS 2 has a total of 56Mb/s of bandwidth shared between you and all of your neighbours. In other words, 3 people using 20Mb/s at the same time will max it out.

DOCSIS 3 on the other hand has a total of 224Mb/s of bandwidth to share between you and all your neighbours. In other words, it will take 4.5 people to max it out at 50Mb/s and 11 people to max it out at 20Mb/s.

But that doesn't take into account the general rule that the more bandwidth you have the better congestion is handled. Think of it this way, you will download the file over twice as fast at 50Mb/s then 20Mb/s thus freeing up the full bandwidth to be used by others in your neighbourhood twice as fast.

And more false advertising by UPC.

"Fastest congestion free Fibre Power Broadband in Ireland."

Just under broadband at a glance:
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement