Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new speeds and cheaper prices. 25mb/50mb/100mb

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:29am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UPC are currently holding a press conference where they are announcing new BB products and cheaper triple play packages:

There entry level BB speed is now 25mb!!

Fibrepower Starter bundle: 25MB, Phone, Digital Value + and Home phone with Freetime world all for €60

For €5 more you can double your speed in the above bundle to 50MB

Fibrepower Ultimate: For those who want it all, 100MB, Digital Max + and Home phone with Freetime world all for €85

Watch this space for more updates as I get them.

BTW the UPC site hasn't been updated yet.

Available from May 9th and available to all customers including existing.

Data caps: 120gb for 25Mbs 250GB for 25Mb/s
    Unconfirmed, but tweeted by Adrian Weckler: 250gb for 50Mbs, 500gb for 100Mb.

Anyone on less then 25mb will automatically be upgraded to 25Mbs, but can also of course opt for higher speeds.

We are now hearing that people won't be automatically upgraded, but can request to be upgraded to new packages from Monday the 9th.

Standalone prices (I haven't confirmed this yet, they seem to include the €7.50 if you don't take a bundle with TV): 25Mbs €42.75, 50Mbs €52.75, 100Mbs €72.75

Upload speeds:
    25mb upload is 2.5mb
    50mb upload is 5mb
    100mb upload is 7mb

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

will these be applicable to current customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

without renewing your contract is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

going on past experience, you may have to request an upgrade initially (and get a new contract to boot) as with previous broadband speed bumps, but eventually they will likely upgrade everyone for free with no new contract.

i guess it depends on if you'd prefer the new speeds & a new contract, or you'd rather pay the same price for the old speeds till they (most likely, just guessing for now) upgrade everyone for free.

EDIT: not forgetting to mention that the upload will be increasing from 7mbps to 10mbps and the price for broadband only will be dropping to €65 per month. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

godtabh wrote: »
    will these be applicable to current customers?

Yes, it seems so, from May 9th.

Yes you probably need a new contract, but really 100mb BB, phone and TV for just €85 is outstanding value, so lets not complain too much.

I'd give my right arm to be able to get this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

only signed the contract about a month ago so wouldnt be to bothered if i had to signing a new one.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    I'd give my right arm to be able to get this.
    with 100mbps broadband and limitless amounts of HD pr0n, you might want to reconsider that and offer up your left arm instead! :pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    with 100mbps broadband and limitless amounts of HD pr0n, you might want to reconsider that and offer up your left arm instead! :pac:

he could be ambidextrous

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

See above for caps updates, etc.

maybe its different if you are an all in package ie tv phone and bb but i thought there was no limits on the bb?

20mb fiber bb currently has unlimted downloads.

is that changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Would prefer to hear them expanding into new areas tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Standalone prices (I haven't confirmed this yet, they don't really make sense): 25Mbs €42.75, 50Mbs €52.75.
    This only makes sense if it's inclusive of the standalone charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I wonder what becomes of the 30mb customers? Automatic upgrade to 50mb?
    It would keep it nice and neat for them :)

JDxtra wrote: »
    This only makes sense if it's inclusive of the standalone charge.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense otherwise, I'm trying to get confirmation from UPC at the moment, but no news yet.

UPC currently have (second price is including analog charge):
    10mb €25 €32.75 120GB cap
    20mb €34 €41.75 250GB cap
    30mb €42 €49.75 250 GB cap

New prices:
    25mb €42.75 120GB cap 250GB cap
    50mb €52.75 250 GB cap

This actually seems like bad news for a lot of UPC customers.

- 10mb customers forced to pay an extra €10 per month, even if they don't need the extra speed.
    - 20mb customers forced to pay an extra €1 per month, cap halved

More info, good news on the 10MB/s product to come Monday.
    25Mb/s seems will have a 250GB cap, so pretty good, €1 more gets you 5mb/s more downlaod speed and 1Mb/s more upload speed with the same cap.

Other unanswered question is will 50mb use DOCSIS 3, it better otherwise it will be a joke.

UPC have confirmed that 50Mb/s and 100Mb/s service will both use EuroDOCSIS 3 modems.

godtabh wrote: »
    maybe its different if you are an all in package ie tv phone and bb but i thought there was no limits on the bb?

20mb fiber bb currently has unlimted downloads.

is that changing?
    it's not changing, there's always been a 250gb limit per month on the 20mbps & 30mbps packages (since Jan 2009 iirc), they just don't call it a limit and hide it in their T&C's and call it an 'Acceptable Usage Policy' or AUP, or previously FUP, but someone decided that the word 'Acceptable' was less open to misinterpretation than the word 'Fair'.

Other unanswered question is will 50mb use DOCSIS 3, it better otherwise it will be a joke.
    from what I understand, both the sci. atl. epc2203 & the cisco epc2425 are euroDOCSIS2.0 compatible, so they should be good up to 55mbps down, although you most likely won't get the full speed as they don't appear to do the multilink/multichannel protocol (forget the actual name of it) like the newer thompson routers do, so the speed will be less of a constant than it would be with the thompson on the same line.

also, i've seen the thompson given out recently to new 10mbps customers though, so i think the cisco epc2425 is on it's last legs anyway (which is great news in itself).

from what I understand, both the sci. atl. epc2203 & the cisco epc2425 are euroDOCSIS2.0 compatible, so they should be good up to 55mbps down, although you most likely won't get the full speed as they don't appear to do the multilink/multichannel protocol

EDIT NOTE: UPC have confirmed that the 50Mb/s and 100Mb/s products will use EuroDOCSIS 3 modems :)

God, I hope not. EuroDOCSIS 2 is capable of 55.62Mb.s, however that is shared between everyone on you street. You would never really get anywhere near that speed. 30Mb/s is advised as the extreme max for DOCSIS 2, you really need EuroDOCSIS 3 to go over 30Mb/s.

If they are doing 50Mb/s on EuroDOCSIS 2, then it is nothing but a cynical marketing ploy where no one actually gets anywhere near this speed.

I suppose we just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Veles wrote: »
    Bye bye Eircom!

Whoa! You should have left them a long time ago! :)
    I wonder what becomes of the 30mb customers? Automatic upgrade to 50mb?
    It would keep it nice and neat for them :)

Sure, I went from 10Mb to 15Mb, then to 20Mb.
    It was also a mixture of SMS promotions I got telling me to power off the router, and also via link on Boards.
    If they are doing 50Mb/s on EuroDOCSIS 2, then it is nothing but a cynical marketing ploy where no one actually gets anywhere near this speed.

I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Ah, I doubt they'll do a con job on it. I really do, they are trying (IMHO) to clean up the image they once had: and with prices/deals like this they're not doing too shabby a job. I will await with anticipation.

It also would appear that those on existing packages get upgraded to 25Mb automatically and those higher get pushed to 50Mb automatically.

Update: "30MB customers will not be downgraded. They can opt into 50MB bundle if they wish" (UPC twitter)

it's not changing, there's always been a 250gb limit per month on the 20mbps & 30mbps packages (since Jan 2009 iirc), they just don't call it a limit and hide it in their T&C's and call it an 'Acceptable Usage Policy' or AUP, or previously FUP, but someone decided that the word 'Acceptable' was less open to misinterpretation than the word 'Fair'.

stupid t&c!

makes the change less worthwhile now. Would rather have the higher cap as the speed is fine.

can they force these change in terms on us? Is does that regulation 17 of some European directive apply here?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Does anyone would upc come out to move where the box is in your house or who would you contact?

Moving from 30 - 50 if I can but ive already blown two powerline plugs

• Advertisement

Get an electrician. They put my one in really badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Is the 100mb broadband available everywhere the 30mb is? That top deal sounds good value.

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Does anyone would upc come out to move where the box is in your house or who would you contact?

Moving from 30 - 50 if I can but ive already blown two powerline plugs
    i tried wireless bridges and powerline adapters before, but in the end i got fed up and just drilled a few holes in my external walls and ran a cable outside the house up the drainpipe and along the gutters to get a wired gigabit connection upstairs and haven't looked back since.

Is the 100mb broadband available everywhere the 30mb is? That top deal sounds good value.
    it should be yes, from may 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Can these changes be used to get out of contract? If the above changes are correct then this is a terrible deal for 20mb customers. Essentially you're paying €1 more a month to have your cap halved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Oh my. This new 100mb deal is coming to a house near me.

I'd imagine that if you're in a contract, you're stuck.
    Unless you've got a superb reason to why it is not fair/right, but I doubt it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Simi wrote: »
    Can these changes be used to get out of contract? If the above changes are correct then this is a terrible deal for 20mb customers. Essentially you're paying €1 more a month to have your cap halved!

Pretty s**tty deal for 10MB 'light' users too if the quoted prices are correct, an extra €10 per month for additional bandwidth you don't want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I got 20mb three weeks ago, am I forced into the new 25mb/€1 extra/120gb bracket? or is it optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Just been speaking to UPC and unless you ring in requesting to be changed you will stay on whatever package you are currently on. If you change its a new 12 month contract and you go to the new price for the package.

• Advertisement

All good questions, I've asked UPC, but I've yet to get an answer.

In case anyone from UPC is reading this, here is what people would like to know?

- What are the standalone (not in a bundle) prices for 25mb/50mb/100mb?
    - Do the prices include the extra fee if you don't take TV service?
    - What are the caps for the 25mb/50mb/100mb products?
    - What happens to existing 10mb/20mb/30mb customers?
    - If they are automatically upgraded, does that mean they are forced to pay more and what happens to their caps?
    - If you upgrade to 50mb, will you get a new modem?
    - Will the 50mb service be using a EuroDOCSIS 3 modem?

Lots of questions and UPC seem very quiet on all of these.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement