Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new speeds and cheaper prices. 25mb/50mb/100mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Nollog

fionny wrote: »
    But you never actually own the modem?! So why should we pay for it?

It's for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Smashing.

Wouldn't have minded an upload speed increase for my 100mb package though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

**** sake UPC why cant we get this down the country!!!? OR why hasnt the government give UPC money to lay fiber all over the country. I mean come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

So we recently had 20Mb broadband installed. If I read the first post correctly.. Our 20Mb can be upgraded to 25Mb for free.. and for €5 more it can brought up to 50Mb? :eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: Also, what charges should I be expecting for upgrades, if any?

Upgrades are always free, downgrades cost a tenner.
    This upgrade will likely have a 12 month contract requirement, if you count that as a cost.

• Advertisement

Well we literally just signed up to the contract anyway so thats not really a problem. But am I correct in reading that it will only cost €5 to double my speeds!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Been with UPC almost a year now and will gladly sign a new contract.

If I were to order the 100MB + Digital Max + and homephone with freetime world deal on Monday, how long would it takes to be installed? I download files 35-45GB+ fairly regularly and if it only takes 1 hour to download in total rather than 5 hours + I will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JamessyJ

Yes bb speeds are 25/50/100mb
    uploads are 7:100 ratio.

No customer will be upgraded unless they request it..

customers can double speed from 25 to 50 for only 5e
    or from 50 to 100 for 10e

All in all, the offers seem to be good and definately much faster broadband.

some great deals like 57e for 100mb bb, and freetime phone!
    considering 100mb bb is 65e +7.75e standalone i doubt too many ppl would turn down the phone!

prices come into affect on monday 9th.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Been with UPC almost a year now and will gladly sign a new contract.

If I were to order the 100MB + Digital Max + and homephone with freetime world deal on Monday, how long would it takes to be installed? I download files 35-45GB+ fairly regularly and if it only takes 1 hour to download in total rather than 5 hours + I will be happy!

All deals can be done on next day delivery except 100mb bb, that needs to be installed by technician normally takes 2-3 working days (monday-saturday)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

**** sake UPC why cant we get this down the country!!!? OR why hasnt the government give UPC money to lay fiber all over the country. I mean come on!

You need to contact your local TD's and shoot off emails to the Minister for communications about the lack of highspeed broadband in your area. I've been doing it non stop for the last year, I've had replies back from my local TD's and the Ministers secretary, the fact that Pat Rabbitte showed up and mentioned highspeed broadband and rural areas at the UPC press conference is NOT a coincidence. Here is Pat Rabbitte's email address.

Minister.Rabbitte@dcenr.gov.ie

My local TD has submitted a parliamentary question to the Minister in relation to broadband with specific reference to my area. I'm 400 meters away from the nearest UPC line, hopefully I've a chance of it coming to my estate as I need it as I'm self employed working from home in the software industry.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Here is what it looks like so far:

Download - Upload - Cap - Price - Price without TV
    25 Mb/s - 2.5Mb/s - 250GB - €35 - €42.75
    50 Mb/s - 5.0Mb/s - 250GB - €45 - €54.75
    100Mb/s - 7.0Mb/s - 500GB - €65 - €72.75

The cap on the 50Mb/s hasn't been confirmed yet.

Prices are correct, but there are a few things you can do to save money on standalone. Standalone is €7.75, you could get the basic phone for €6 and the remove standalone (new change).

There are also some great deals for phone and broadband and these are available to non tv subscribers too! The best by far is the 100mb bb and off peak phone for €57!! so miles cheaper to get 100mb bb and phone than to get 100mb on its own...

Thanks assuming 100mb bb is available to you, is available to 80% of cabled areas atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

DonJose wrote: »
    You need to contact your local TD's and shoot off emails to the Minister for communications about the lack of highspeed broadband in your area. I've been doing it non stop for the last year, I've had replies back from my local TD's and the Ministers secretary, the fact that Pat Rabbitte showed up and mentioned highspeed broadband and rural areas at the UPC press conference is NOT a coincidence. Here is Pat Rabbitte's email address.

Minister.Rabbitte@dcenr.gov.ie

My local TD has submitted a parliamentary question to the Minister in relation to broadband with specific reference to my area. I'm 400 meters away from the nearest UPC line, hopefully I've a chance of it coming to my estate as I need it as I'm self employed working from home in the software industry.

But isnt that just the biggest joke you have to annoy people to get off there ass to do something they should already be doing to push Ireland forward in the globel economy to stand out and say we have fast reliable broadband open your business here. email sent thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

An itneresting point I cant believe no one has made by the way.

UPC have a fairly hefty installation fee

The 100mb package costs €100 to have installed, and if its using now the same modem etc as the 50mb, your 50mb installation will now also cost €100 to have installed.

I contacted UPC last week ( not knowing of all this happening) to get the 100mb upgrade and when they quoted the installation price, and telling me whats installed I said no thanks, I'm not paying €100 for someone to plug in a new router and modem.

I'll be contacting them Monday, and if they have abolished that stupid fee then I'll grab the 100mb.

However if its still there it will effect both the 50mb and 100mb package and I'll be saying now, I'm currently on the 30mb package and very happy, but by this price scheme the 50mb will cost me like an extra 4 euro a month.

Just to make people aware, as I have not read it anywhere in the thread, there is a pretty hefty installation, fee. Unlike mentioned previously where someone said you pay for the router, according to UPC thats not an option. I asked for simply the modem and I would do the installation and they said that is not allowed as the installation is done by a third party company. Part of their contract is that ugrades to the 100mb line must be done by them at a €100 fee.

So I'm really not believing anything until tomorrow I ring and literally quiz for a while to get some straight answers. Its not so much UPC sending out mixed messages as is people on the internet mixing up messages.

As of Saturday 07/05/2011, there was a non negotiable €100 installation fee on the 100mb package, which according to the uPC agent I spoke too, and the floor manager, was not changing in the future, despite the new price changes. When I asked would the fee apply for the 50mb package since they will most likely use the same router etc, the manager said he could not confirm but he would imagine so.

Heres hoping it dissapears but literally nothing will be certain until I ring them tomorrow in my eyes anyway and get some proper facts.

Also I have to ask are these caps new? I'll be wanting to ask UPC what I'm on at the moment, I easily burst 250GB plus a month and enver heard a word from them, anyone know what the current 30mb package was?

Download caps are a serious load of junk in this day and age, but I'll be heavily inquiring into the catches before signing a new 12 month contract

And I guess also the price plans I see doesn't have a 30mb package, if I just stick around with my 30mb am I likely to be just upgraded to 50mb in time or ?

And what is happening to those on the lower packages? My partner is paying for a 10mb package in her parents home and there is a pretty significant price difference between that and the 25mb package if I'm not mistaken, and she definitely doesn't need 20mb and probably not able to afford a price increase.

I'll post back what I'm told tomorrow by UPC, I'll be giving them a ring first thing.

The install fee for 100mb is now €40, which cannot be done yourself, there will be a €20 discount for online orders.

And about anyone on lower speeds will not be upgraded unless they ask to be upgraded!

The caps are 250gb for 25mb and 50mb, which are extremely fair, even if you do go over it you will not be charged, you will get a warning letter then they upgrade the speeds which also upgrades cap. Barely any people would ever use over 250gb a month. The 100mb cap is 500gb once again very reasonable!

TheDoc wrote: »
    Will have to hear it from UPC themselves, quoted me €100 yesterday but if so I'll be greatful to hear as I was shocked to be quoted that price yesterday

Agents weren't allowed to discuss new prices until 9am tomorrow, ring anytime tomorrow and they'll sort it all out for you!

JamessyJ wrote: »
    The install fee for 100mb is now €40, which cannot be done yourself, there will be a €20 discount for online orders.

And about anyone on lower speeds will not be upgraded unless they ask to be upgraded!

The caps are 250gb for 25mb and 50mb, which are extremely fair, even if you do go over it you will not be charged, you will get a warning letter then they upgrade the speeds which also upgrades cap. Barely any people would ever use over 250gb a month. The 100mb cap is 500gb once again very reasonable!

Any idea what the installation fee is for 50Mb? I'm currently on 20Mb.. Wouldn't mind upgrading for €5 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Danger781 wrote: »
    Any idea what the installation fee is for 50Mb? I'm currently on 20Mb.. Wouldn't mind upgrading for €5 :rolleyes:
    Isn't it an €11 upgrade.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Isn't it an €11 upgrade.

Meant €5 per month :p What's the €11 about?

Danger781 wrote: »
    Meant €5 per month :p What's the €11 about?

ya its an upgrade, so therefore €11, €5 only counts if part of either a tripleplay pack or phone and bb pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

There are also some great deals for phone and broadband and these are available to non tv subscribers too! The best by far is the 100mb bb and off peak phone for €57!! so miles cheaper to get 100mb bb and phone than to get 100mb on its own...

Um Where did you get that info.... so phone and 100meg for 57 with NO extra charges and no tv?

Thats great value.

• Advertisement

Um Where did you get that info.... so phone and 100meg for 57 with NO extra charges and no tv?

Thats great value.

Info should be on the site from midnight...

Nope no additional charges other than €40 install and €15 for phone handset if needed!

Definitely getting the deal myself!!

Sweet, I hope your right on that one! Because lets face it UPC's tv is rubbish.

ya its an upgrade, so therefore €11, €5 only counts if part of either a tripleplay pack or phone and bb pack.

Ah we are on the triple deal :)

2vlobcn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Sweet, I hope your right on that one! Because lets face it UPC's tv is rubbish.

Why is it rubbish?i dont have it or sky.im just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Info should be on the site from midnight...
    it's not on there yet so far as i can see? still showing all the old (current) packages at the minute.

either way, i have a feeling upc are going to be busy come 9am. :D
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    Why is it rubbish?i dont have it or sky.im just curious.
    if you've never had sky+ then you'll probably find it fine tbh, but despite having many years to come up with something better than sky+, the upc tv yoke is very average by comparison and its hard to go backwards once you've used sky+ or skyHD for any amount of time.

to be honest, if it wasn't for the lack of a secondary output on the UPC HD box to run my upstairs telly off, i'd probably go for it as the sky box only gets used by the missus for watching a few home improvement & property shows, come dine with me and eastenders which i'm pretty sure the UPC box will cover as well.

mind you, if they drop the standalone charge for BB & phone only customers and the price comes down to €65 per month then that'll sweeten the deal just enough for the 100mbps i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I made the mistake of not signing up to a bundle initially. Their sale sline will not moe me and customer service will not wove me either.

**** sake I was looking to move over to the 100Mb package....AHHHHHH

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting moves here by UPC but I honestly couldn't be bothered with an increase from 20mb to 25mb for an extra €, all I'm interested in is a Cap increase and the move to 100mb costs too much, c'mon UPC lots of speed moves but no move in caps...:(

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Just rang, they are only hooking in new customers which is a right joke. Ive moved from 30meg to the 50meg connection for around 1.5 more then now.

They have sorted a swop out of the modem at my work place which is quite handy. The charge as suggested is 20euro.

Bit peeved that the 100meg isnt cheaper. Alas JamessyJ that price you had of 57 for phone and broadband was wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Still no update to their website and not answering any twitter questions:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement