Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles/km This Week|Comments
    RayCun|4|31.3km|two club sessions, two recovery runs|
    meijin|4|28.5km||
    Vagga|3|24 Miles|Being careful with an injury limited me to 3 runs|
    shels4ever|6|54|Mostly easy runs, 1 long run and one steady run|
    Bally8|4|20.85 miles|This is my second week of Novice 2. Got an easy run, a PMP, a easy run with strides and a 9 mile lsr in. Out on the kayaks twce this week too. Happy days!|
    Nules10|4|21.52 miles|On week 5|
    Duckee|4|24.4km|week 1 down. 1 long run, 3 easy. Trying to learn how to run slow on mid-week runs|
    liamog|3|27.64km|Week 1 finished, a 5km BHAA Race and then two more runs to round it off|
    Concerned2|5|27.17 miles|Missed 1 planned session, legs currently have loads of aches|
    cr17|5|24 miles| |
    Rider|4|17m|This is the 3rd wk of HH plan so quite easy. Didnt do a XT this week|
    Househunter|4|35m|First week of P&D, 1 long, 2 slow, 1 tempo|
    Mr Abbey|4|15 miles|Week 1 HH Novice 1. Nice & Easy No problems|
    PDCAT|4|15.65 miles|No major issues|

BobMac104 wrote: »
    hey guys

I am new to these boards, I am looking to do dublin this year (my first) and will probably go with HAl higdon novice2 plan. but with 16 weeks to go where should i start from do you reckon?.

You could do week 2, Wednesday (the 5 mile run) today, and continue from there.
    You're probably close to the sub-4 border - it depends on how you adapt to the longer runs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

RayCun wrote: »
    You could do week 2, Wednesday (the 5 mile run) today, and continue from there.
    You're probably close to the sub-4 border - it depends on how you adapt to the longer runs really.

Hi Ray
    thanks for the advice! and thanks for moving the post. I didnt even see this thread! it's great

I did 14k on monday and a tag match last night so they should be still in legs to get the benefit out of the 5 miler tonight. looking forward to it now!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Hey Ray,

How do I edit the table?

Last three days:
    7km Monday
    8km Tuesday with 10x 100m sprints
    Duathlon Wednesday Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Hey all, first time marathon runner here too. I've been a casual runner for the last few years, getting out 2 or 3 times a week doing between 5k and 10k. I've only done one race before, the Dundalk 10k which I finished in 50:30, reckon I could have gone quicker as I took it very easy for the first few km.
    I started training a few weeks ago and am following the HH novice plan. I also signed up for the race series so have the 5 mile race on the 16th, just wondering how to approach the race, should I do it at LSR pace or try to post a good time? I ran 7 miles the week before last in 62mins and plan on doing another 7 this weekend so the race will be on a step back week.

• Advertisement

TomD101 wrote: »
    How do I edit the table?

Quote the message with the most recent table. Remove the quote tags at the beginning and end of the message, but leave the table tags alone.
    Easiest way to add a new line is just copy someone else's line, and overwrite with your details.

dylbert wrote: »
    I also signed up for the race series so have the 5 mile race on the 16th, just wondering how to approach the race, should I do it at LSR pace or try to post a good time?

I always think that if you're going to enter a race then you might as well race the damn thing. You can do a few easy recovery miles the next day to make up some distance, if you like.

(But by the same token, don't enter too many races during marathon training. Try to stick to no more than one a month. Race too often and your training will suffer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

quick question. Next week i have the 5miler in the park on Saturday. But i am also due to do an LSR of 12 miles that weekend. I could get my LSR done mid week on the Wednesday and move my mid week run to the the Saturday of the race. What would be best to do??

Nules10 wrote: »
    quick question. Next week i have the 5miler in the park on Saturday. But i am also due to do an LSR of 12 miles that weekend. I could get my LSR done mid week on the Wednesday and move my mid week run to the the Saturday of the race. What would be best to do??

Sure, if you can do the LSR midweek it would be good. Then take it easy on Thursday and Friday, so you can run well on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles/km This Week|Comments
    RayCun|4|31.3km|two club sessions, two recovery runs|
    meijin|4|28.5km||
    Vagga|3|24 Miles|Being careful with an injury limited me to 3 runs|
    shels4ever|6|54|Mostly easy runs, 1 long run and one steady run|
    Bally8|4|20.85 miles|This is my second week of Novice 2. Got an easy run, a PMP, a easy run with strides and a 9 mile lsr in. Out on the kayaks twce this week too. Happy days!|
    Nules10|4|21.52 miles|On week 5|
    Duckee|4|24.4km|week 1 down. 1 long run, 3 easy. Trying to learn how to run slow on mid-week runs|
    liamog|3|27.64km|Week 1 finished, a 5km BHAA Race and then two more runs to round it off|
    Concerned2|5|27.17 miles|Missed 1 planned session, legs currently have loads of aches|
    cr17|5|24 miles| |
    Rider|4|17m|This is the 3rd wk of HH plan so quite easy. Didnt do a XT this week|
    Househunter|4|35m|First week of P&D, 1 long, 2 slow, 1 tempo|
    Mr Abbey|4|15 miles|Week 1 HH Novice 1. Nice & Easy No problems|
    PDCAT|4|15.65 miles|No major issues|
    TomD101|4|16.2 miles|Week 1 HH Novice 1. 1 sprint triathlon, 1 duathlon, 1 receovery run, 1 high tempo run|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Nolanbry

All - I found a great tip for doing some slow/recovery runs get a heart rate monitor even a cheep one or get a loan of one this way you can see how hard your body is working. Its working for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

The main reason I do LSR on Mon/Tues when doing a training plan. Deaths, Births, Marriages and races at weekends don't interfere as much.

If you are ahead in your plan moving things around is okay so long as you leave 2 days rest/recovery after race and after LSR youll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

ger664 wrote: »
    The main reason I do LSR on Mon/Tues when doing a training plan. Deaths, Births, Marriages and races at weekends don't interfere as much.

If you are ahead in your plan moving things around is okay so long as you leave 2 days rest/recovery after race and after LSR youll be grand.

I've have started and been planning to do my weekly runs on tues/wed/fri with LSR on sunday morning, leaving just one day rest after LSR! Thinking being that I wanted to split up the 3 days in a row with a rest (after longish mid week run). Is this ok to do if I take tuesday run at easy pace, thus being a rest/recovery day?? Surely as mid week longish run gets longer this strategy should make sense?

Mr abbey wrote: »
    I've have started and been planning to do my weekly runs on tues/wed/fri with LSR on sunday morning, leaving just one day rest after LSR! Thinking being that I wanted to split up the 3 days in a row with a rest (after longish mid week run). Is this ok to do if I take tuesday run at easy pace, thus being a rest/recovery day?? Surely as mid week longish run gets longer this strategy should make sense?

I would be inclined to split it the other way - Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sunday.
    The last midweek run should be short and slow, a recovery run from the day before. It will get you used to running on tired legs, but also train you to keep it slow on recovery days.

Sure, if you can do the LSR midweek it would be good. Then take it easy on Thursday and Friday, so you can run well on Saturday.

Ok had a look and i am thinking of this. I won't be doing any running sat or sun this weekend. So if i do 3 miles Monday, my LSR of 12 miles on tuesday, recovery run of 3m on wed, thurs and fri rest and the race on sat.
    or am i best to do the lsr on wed and the two 3 miles on mon and tues :confused:

Ok had a look and i am thinking of this. I won't be doing any running sat or sun this weekend. So if i do 3 miles Monday, my LSR of 12 miles on tuesday, recovery run of 3m on wed, thurs and fri rest and the race on sat.
    or am i best to do the lsr on wed and the two 3 miles on mon and tues :confused:

Much of a muchness :)

Much of a muchness :)

:) ok i will go with how i am feeling when i wake up so. Thanks Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

I would be inclined to split it the other way - Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sunday.
    The last midweek run should be short and slow, a recovery run from the day before. It will get you used to running on tired legs, but also train you to keep it slow on recovery days.

Ok thanks Ray, makes sense. Is it ok to leave only one day after LSR though?

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Ok thanks Ray, makes sense. Is it ok to leave only one day after LSR though?

Yes, but take that Tuesday run easy.

Week 3
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|4m/6k (2m/3k @ PMP)|3 m/5k|rest|5 m/8k|cross

This is a stepback week, so the long run is down to only 5 miles (8k). But your midweek run is getting a little longer to compensate, and this week you're going to do some of this run at Planned Marathon Pace - PMP. Run the first mile (2k) at your normal speed, then speed up to PMP for the next 2 miles (3k), and then slow down again for the last mile/kilometre.

Maybe you don't know how fast your PMP is? Then start your run at the same speed you ran the previous midweek run, and go one minute per mile faster for the PMP section.

Let me know how you get on with this one...

• Advertisement

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||||
    Vagga|||||
    shels4ever|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

New column in the table - your Total so far. That's your total distance since you started your marathon training plan. If you started two weeks ago, your total in the last two weeks. If you started early, three or four (or more) weeks ago, put in your total since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

meijin|||||
    Vagga|5|37 miles|100 miles||
    shels4ever|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

meijin|4|19 miles|94 miles|week 6 as I've started from a bit lower level|
    shels4ever|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

7 miles yesterday. A bit faster that I really wanted... 6.17/km; HR 143

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

shels4ever|7|58|not sure|easy week next week and a race.|
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

shels4ever wrote: »
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|23 miles|43m|week 2 completed|

i have been following the thread but only adding to the table now.
    i'm going to give the DCM a go along with yous.

Bally8|||||
    Nules10|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|23|43|week 2 completed|

=RayCun;73225900]Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Bally8|||||
    Nules10|4|18|99|Really didn't think i would manage my runs this week|
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|||||
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

I am sorry if i mucked up the table :o

Oh my god i managed to do the table thingy .... huge achievement for me

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Concerned2

Bally8|||||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|6|36.96 miles|206.43 miles|weeks total includes 2 races & a 12 mile LSR. Just finished week 7 of my training plan|
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Bally8|3|15.42 miles|55.6 miles|Missed a 3 mile easy run. Will do better next week:)|
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||||
    Concerned2|6|36.96 miles|206.43 miles|weeks total includes 2 races & a 12 mile LSR. Just finished week 7 of my training plan|
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Bally8|3|15.42 miles|55.6 miles|Missed a 3 mile easy run. Will do better next week:)|
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|4|21.89 miles|39.08 miles|week 2 of novice 2 done though went further on the LSR as felt good and misjudged the loop|
    cr17|||||
    Rider|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

Advertisement