Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    Concerned2|||206.43 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|19|62|legs felt it this week|
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|15|46|Looking forward to seeing how longer lsrs go now!|
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

RayCun wrote: »
    Week 4
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|4 m/6.5k + 4*100m strides|3 m/5k|rest|9 m/15k|cross

Strides again in midweek, and the LSR gets a bit longer again.
    For the strides, remember that the important thing is to have good running form. You should be relaxed all through the distance - faster,but relaxed. Don't worry so much about the distance you cover. When it starts to become hard work to maintain the speed, you should slow down again, no matter if you've run 40m or 150m because your form will suffer then anyway.
    And on the LSR, as always, take things easy.

Hi Ray, haven't been doing or considering any strides so far. Thinking being just to let mileage build up slowly with less chance of problems or niggles, as I've started from a fairly modest mileage base. What is the importance or idea of these and how important are they to a beginner.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Hi Ray, haven't been doing or considering any strides so far. Thinking being just to let mileage build up slowly with less chance of problems or niggles, as I've started from a fairly modest mileage base. What is the importance or idea of these and how important are they to a beginner.
    Thanks.

They're not necessary. They aren't in the Hal Higdon plan, and you'll get around without them.
    But, they should improve your running form. The more efficient a runner you are, the less energy you use, so improvements in running economy will help you over long distances. And the strides are low impact - as I said above, you should be relaxed all through them and if they start to become hard work its time to slow down again. So you should be able to include them in one run a week without increasing the risk of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have signed up for the race series but i'm just wondering about taking the leap up to the DCM. My aim would beto complete the DCM in sub 4hr so 3:59:59 would be perfect.

I completed the 5 miler on saturday in 41:09 at the end of a training week of 25miles with a 10 miler LSR on Wed. I have been following Hal Higdon novice plan for 3 weeks with a few modificiations for speed work thrown in so is a sub 4hr realistic or should i put in some more training and aim for next year??

Thanks
    Kev.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kevgaa wrote: »
    I completed the 5 miler on saturday in 41:09 at the end of a training week of 25miles with a 10 miler LSR on Wed. I have been following Hal Higdon novice plan for 3 weeks with a few modificiations for speed work thrown in so is a sub 4hr realistic or should i put in some more training and aim for next year??
    Honestly? 4 hours would be a huge ask if your 5 mile PB is 41.09. 4:15-4:20 would probably be more realistic. My shorter-distance PBs would be on the very slow end of what is needed to break 4 and my 5 mile PB is 40.13.

Yeah, I was about two minutes faster than that at last year's 5 mile, and finished the marathon in 3.58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Is it too late to start training for this ? I've been running 4 x 5km runs a week for the past two weeks, prev to that was doing 2 x 5km every week for 4 months. ? doing the extra running is harder than I thought but whats the best way to progress ?

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Is it too late to start training for this ? I've been running 4 x 5km for the past two weeks, prev to that was doing 2 x 5km every week for 4 months. ? doing the extra running is harder than I thought but whats the best way to progress ?

As I said in the first post
    DON’T DO IT
    Seriously, don’t enter Dublin this year. Too many people start running and go straight into running marathons. It’s a bad idea. You are much better off spending a couple of years running shorter distances.
    First, because shorter distances have their own challenges and rewards. ..
    Second, because marathon training is hard.

The people who have already started following the programme have been running over 30k a week for a while now, and are doing a longest run of 15k this week. You don't have any running base built up, you don't have any endurance, and training for a marathon this year is just asking for trouble.

I hear you but I'm going to call it when it comes closer to the date, I actually ran 5 x 5km last week with no issues PB 5km is 32.45, is that not a good base. I do a forest loop run which is extremely hilly and on gravel, does running hills/gravel help with preparation? sorry if it sounds silly I've only been running a couple of years (on and off) and never entered a race before.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Thanks Folks,

Yeah that was my first race ever and I was probably a bit green about a few things and I reckon there is more in the legs. Wanted sub 40 and started off on a comfortable 8 min mile pace for first 4 miles in 32 mins but didnt relaise the hill was so steep and long at the end and in hindisght I could have ran quicker at the beginning to make up for the climb.

I'll continue with my training program and then decide after the half if a sub 4hr is relaistic this year or put in some more work and go for it in 2012.

One last question I do my LSR at about 9:30 pace as I heard I should be doing them slower than PMP is that correct? and why not do them at PMP?

Thanks
    kev.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I hear you but I'm going to call it when it comes closer to the date, I actually ran 5 x 5km last week with no issues PB 5km is 32.45, is that not a good base. I do a forest loop run which is extremely hilly and on gravel, does running hills/gravel help with preparation? sorry if it sounds silly I've only been running a couple of years (on and off) and never entered a race before.

It's not the speed you run your 5k at, it's that you haven't run any further than 5k. The people on this thread will be running at least 15k this coming weekend. 15k would take you about 2 hours to run (because you couldn't run at your 5k pace). Your legs are used to running for 30 minutes, running for 2 hours will put a whole different set of demands on them. And it's not just this week, it's every weekend, running for 2 hours, 2.5.. over 3 hours as we go on, along with 8-10k runs during the week.

Its not impossible, but it would be exhausting, and very possibly lead to an injury. You would be much better off building up your running distances slowly over the coming year, maybe enter a few races at shorter distances, and do the marathon next year.

kevgaa wrote: »
    One last question I do my LSR at about 9:30 pace as I heard I should be doing them slower than PMP is that correct? and why not do them at PMP?

Because you'd be wrecked!
    The purpose of the long runs is to build your time on your feet, and help your body adapt to the demands of running long (eg, by becoming better at burning fat, and recruiting other muscles)
    For those purposes, it doesn't really matter if you're running at PMP or a slower pace, you'll get more or less the same benefit.
    But running at PMP is much more demanding than running at a slower pace. So as the weeks go on, and the distances increase, the long runs will take more and more out of you. If you are running at an easy pace, its not too hard, your body has time to recover for the other training days, and hopefully get stronger each week. If you run at PMP you'll put too much stress on your body, and you'll run out of energy. Instead of getting stronger over time you'll get weaker because you won't be able to recover from your 14 mile run completely before doing your 16 mile run, and you'll be further in the hole the next week when you try to run 18 miles.

Good advice there, I'll see what I can enter around the 10km and go from there..

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

Hi GUys
    Im training for Dub again this year. 10 mile lsr done at de weekend..I hope you dont ind me hopping on board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|44|114.8|did the 5 mile in the park but decided to take it easy - my legs thanked me yesterday after 14 mile LSR|
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    cr17|3|15 miles|66.1 miles|Game of 5 a side during the week destroyed me for 2 days, knew the risks, step back week anyway so no major damage done |
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|44|114.8|did the 5 mile in the park but decided to take it easy - my legs thanked me yesterday after 14 mile LSR|
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    CR

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    cr17|3|15 miles|66.1 miles|Game of 5 a side during the week destroyed me for 2 days, knew the risks, step back week anyway so no major damage done |
    Rider|||113m||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

=cr17;73352850]
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    PDCAT|4|14|48| On holidays, low mileage
    TomD101|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Finished the 15 mile race in 2.11 got a new half marathon pb off 1.51. The last two miles were very tough. Starting training now for the marathon but might wait until Wednesday to start legs are fairly sore. Just wondering what kind of time should I aim for or just go and enjoy my first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Finished the 15 mile race in 2.11 got a new half marathon pb off 1.51. The last two miles were very tough. Starting training now for the marathon but might wait until Wednesday to start legs are fairly sore. Just wondering what kind of time should I aim for or just go and enjoy my first marathon.

well done on the 15miles dave. great going there

You could take 4 hours as a target time, just for working out training paces (that would give you a planned marathon pace of 9 minute miles),but wait until closer to the day to pick your real target time. And make that target a bit soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Thanks Nules. RayCun thanks for that. I was a bit disappointed with the time I was hoping for a 1 45 half marathon I had put a good bit of training in the last few weeks. Found starting so high up on the Ring very hard on my breathing(asthma). So had a bad first six miles. Sorry for all the questions. But where would I find all the info on paces. Need to buy a garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Hello All!

Great to see so many people training for their first marathon too!
    Realise I'm joining up here a little later than I should have but could do with some help/support etc :)
    I have been following this plan since July 4th: http://athlone3quarter.com/schedule.php

* Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5km 12th June 2011: 27:07
    Clontarf 5 mile 3rd July 2011: 45:10
    Irish Runner 5 mile 16th July 2011: 45:31
    (Really could have done better here spent the first 2km trying to overtake walkers who placed themselves at the start of wave two....)
    Did my best 10km last week at 59:52 (Woo-hoo broke the hour! )

* Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Need? No.... sometimes I would though on hard days or when I do a route that includes a tough hill.

* How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I am following the plan that I linked above, under the easiest one "Completion" as time means nothing to me as it's my first marathon.
    I also do a strength / weights workout twice a week (30min each)
    I run 6 days a week, on my allocated Rest day I usually just do a quick 5km to and home from work.

Did that 8km in Phoenix Park on sat and a recovery jog of 6km yesterday and felt like I could have done a 10 / 12km today no bother, no aches or pains or tiredness..... must be a good sign?

* What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Time means nothing, just want to complete it.

* How many days a week can you train?
    6 days.

* Why are you running this marathon?
    Ambiton, test my limits, achievement, fitness.

I am wondering if my training will get me over the line in Oct as I feel like I could be doing more.

Oh, forgot to say, I use MapMyRun / Runkeeper app during runs.
    I've done 190km over 19hours 50mins since May 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Concerned2

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Concerned2|5|31.84m|238.27 miles|Missed 1 planned session.|
    Rider|||113m||
    PDCAT|4|14|48| On holidays, low mileage
    TomD101|||||

But where would I find all the info on paces. Need to buy a garmin

You don't need to worry too much about pace on the Higdon plan. On pretty much all of your runs, you should be going slow enough to carry on a conversation and it doesn't really matter exactly how fast that is.

If you do want to track your pace, the cheapest thing is to follow a route that has known distances (maybe from mapmyrun, or maybe using markings in a park) and use a stopwatch. If you have a smartphone, there are various apps you can get for tracking your run, or you can get a Garmin for about 100 quid from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Need? No.... sometimes I would though on hard days or when I do a route that includes a tough hill.

Try and get out of this habit. The marathon is a test psychologically as much as physically and if you stop to walk once on the day, you'll do that several times. No matter how tired you are on the long runs, keep running!
    I run 6 days a week, on my allocated Rest day I usually just do a quick 5km to and home from work.

This sounds dodgy to me also. Experienced runners can run 7 days a week; in your case you're working on building a running base and this includes some time off your feet to let the legs recover. If you want to do something on the rest day then go for a swim or a cycle, but don't run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

macinalli wrote: »
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

Try and get out of this habit. The marathon is a test psychologically as much as physically and if you stop to walk once on the day, you'll do that several times. No matter how tired you are on the long runs, keep running!

This sounds dodgy to me also. Experienced runners can run 7 days a week; in your case you're working on building a running base and this includes some time off your feet to let the legs recover. If you want to do something on the rest day then go for a swim or a cycle, but don't run!

Swimming one day a week it is then (less chance of injury!)

You are right about stopping to walk - I HATE when I do it and really do not want to make a habit of it.

Looking forward to my 12km this weekend :)

Advertisement