Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

lovely run this evening however half way through i saw a magpie and ten minutes later a small bird flew out of a ditch and poo'd down the front of my t-shirt. So, do i come out on-top in terms of good luck or do they just cancel each other out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Hi lads if any of you are going for sub 4 hours ill be pacing that pace band this year. Should be good crack:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

BobMac104 wrote: »
    lovely run this evening however half way through i saw a magpie and ten minutes later a small bird flew out of a ditch and poo'd down the front of my t-shirt. So, do i come out on-top in terms of good luck or do they just cancel each other out?

Dunno!! do the lotto this weekend and see what happens. You should have your answer by 8pm Saturday evening. let us know how you get on :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are there many people planning on doing the race this Saturday. I am, and hope to be running around 38 mins. Did 5k in 22:41 at the DCC BHAA race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Nules10 wrote: »
    Dunno!! do the lotto this weekend and see what happens. You should have your answer by 8pm Saturday evening. let us know how you get on :D

excellent plan! illl pay for your entry to the marathon if i win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Hi lads if any of you are going for sub 4 hours ill be pacing that pace band this year. Should be good crack:D

Good stuff! Will be aiming to keep an eye on you for a while in anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are pace groups this year at 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15, and 4.30, so most people should be able to find a group to run with, if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

What's that rhyme: 1 for sorrow, 2 for joy........?

If you only saw 1 magpie then it sounds like a warning for what was coming down the line;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Oisin11178 wrote: »

And for those who cant keep up I'll be pacing behind in the 4:30 band.

ger664 wrote: »
    And for those who cant keep up I'll be pacing behind in the 4:30 band.
    That will be me.... since i could not find the "i just want to finish alive" pace band :o

• Advertisement

excellent plan! illl pay for your entry to the marathon if i win.

Excellent i will keep my fingers crossed for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Lads quick question,

What exact foods should you be eating before a run and how long before the run do u consume them..

I dont mean protein, carbs but exactly wat you eat to make you feel fresh and energised for your run..

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

smurph10 wrote: »
    Lads quick question,

What exact foods should you be eating before a run and how long before the run do u consume them..

I dont mean protein, carbs but exactly wat you eat to make you feel fresh and energised for your run..

Thanks

Depends in the length of the run to be honest and hydration is just as if not more important.

For anything under 10 miles i'll just eat my normal days food.

But if over that i'll eat pasta with lean meat and veg the night before and always porridge for breakfast the morning of that run, never less than 2 runs before........food goes through everyone differently but i can't eat too close to a run.

This week so far i have

8.5 miles on monday
    6.25 miles on tuesday

Tomorrow 5 miles in the park and sunday is 3 mile race with 5 miles afterwards.

That will leave me with a total of 25.75 this week.

Next week i will get out 3 times with a 14 mile LSR on the friday !

Planning on doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone on Oct 2. Hilly course and ideal to get ready for DCM.

Generally, slow release carbs are good for longer runs - that could be porridge, bread, something like that. It should be something easy to digest, but that is different for different people - some people don't like fruit the morning of a run, or have to wait two hours after eating before they can run.

I have muesli for breakfast most days anyway. If I'm doing a long/hard run I'll leave it at least an hour before I go out. You really have to experiment with a few things yourself.

Lads quick question,

Thanks

Everyone is going to be completely different in this regard. I can eat my dinner and 30 mins later go and do a 14 miler. Other people will find that they cant eat anything hours before a long run or they are jumping a hedge. It is a thing you will have to experiment with yourself.

Also as with hydration, nutrition should become part of daily life rather then day of or just before your long run.

ger664 wrote: »
    Everyone is going to be completely different in this regard. I can eat my dinner and 30 mins later go and do a 14 miler. Other people will find that they cant eat anything hours before a long run or they are jumping a hedge. It is a thing you will have to experiment with yourself.

Also as with hydration, nutrition should become part of daily life rather then day of or just before your long run.[/QUOTE]

+1

Also nutrition after a run is also important to get the body going and repair and refill those muscles with energy.

I find i can't eat at all after a run of over 10 miles. I can stomach something small like a snickers but other than that its nothing for a few hrs.

I find i can't eat at all after a run of over 10 miles. I can stomach something small like a snickers but other than that its nothing for a few hrs.

Try eating immediately after your run - when I get in I have a glass of water, then banana, chocolate milk, cereal bar... whatever. But it has to be very soon after I stop running, leave it too long and I'll lose my appetite.

RayCun wrote: »
    Try eating immediately after your run - when I get in I have a glass of water, then banana, chocolate milk, cereal bar... whatever. But it has to be very soon after I stop running, leave it too long and I'll lose my appetite.

Yeah i use the chocolate mik, fluids aren't a problem. Its just solid food of any size i can't face !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Hey all,
    Just wondering if it's too late to jump on board and join in on the training. For the last month I've been running 20-24 miles per week. My running pace is roughly 8.30 min per mile. I ran a half marathon end of April (great limerick run) and completed it in 1h 48m. Would love to run the DCM as a IMO it would be an amazing personal achievement.
    Just wondering what ye think? Do-able or not?
    Thanks!!
    Oh i probably should mention that I didn't run at all last week (long complicated story!!)

• Advertisement

mazken wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if it's too late to jump on board and join in on the training. For the last month I've been running 20-24 miles per week.

You should be okay in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Just back from the Race Series 5 mile, had a really good race, was aiming for 40min but reckon i done a 38:29. My split times where,
    8:09
    7:40
    7:34
    7:31
    7:33.

Just checked McMillan and its predicting a 3:46:23 marathon time, how realistic is it that I could do that time? was originally planning to get as close to 4 hours as I can but would be over the moon if I went sub 4.

Just noticed the date they have on the t-shirts is wrong, oops....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

dylbert wrote: »
    Just back from the Race Series 5 mile, had a really good race, was aiming for 40min but reckon i done a 38:29. My split times where,
    8:09
    7:40
    7:34
    7:31
    7:33.

Just checked McMillan and its predicting a 3:46:23 marathon time, how realistic is it that I could do that time? was originally planning to get as close to 4 hours as I can but would be over the moon if I went sub 4.

Just noticed the date they have on the t-shirts is wrong, oops....
    Mcmillan is dependant on alot of things mate. My mcmillan times are very even from 5k to marathon but it wasnt like that when i started running marathons. it had me down as good for a sub 3.30 marathon judgeing on 5k and 10k times but i was delighted to get 3.40 in my first one. Its very easy to get excited but my advise to you is keep plugging away and get your long run up and decide nearer the time what your goal will be.

dylbert wrote: »

The majority of novice runners are not going to get near their McMillan time first time out. If you start at that pace you run the risk of blowing up around mile 20 and its a long 10K to the finish when that happens.

A better predictor of your Marathon time on your first marathon would be 5 times your 10K time. Again as previously stated, decide on your goal finish time nearer the race and keep it realistic. It is great to have a goal time but be honest enough to adjust it on the day if things are not going right.

I have said this before your main goal is to finish the race, and you will have a better idea of your marathon finish time around the 20 mile mark on the day. If you make your goal time as well then all the better.

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    Concerned2|||206.43 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||

How's everyone getting on? Did everyone get to do som Planned Marathon Pace miles this week? How many of you did the Irish Runner 5?

Week 4
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|4 m/6.5k + 4*100m strides|3 m/5k|rest|9 m/15k|cross

Strides again in midweek, and the LSR gets a bit longer again.
    For the strides, remember that the important thing is to have good running form. You should be relaxed all through the distance - faster,but relaxed. Don't worry so much about the distance you cover. When it starts to become hard work to maintain the speed, you should slow down again, no matter if you've run 40m or 150m because your form will suffer then anyway.
    And on the LSR, as always, take things easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

May as well start adding to this too, seeing the miles add up will help keep me going.

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|19|62|legs felt it this week|
    BobMac104|||23||

• Advertisement

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|19|62|legs felt it this week|
    BobMac104|||23||

Advertisement