Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|4|19 miles|94 miles|week 6 as I've started from a bit lower level|
    Vagga|5|37 miles|100 miles||
    shels4ever|7|58|not sure|easy week next week and a race.|
    Bally8|3|15.42 miles|55.6 miles|Missed a 3 mile easy run. Will do better next week:)|
    Nules10|4|18|99|Really didn't think i would manage my runs this week|
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|4|21.89 miles|39.08 miles|week 2 of novice 2 done though went further on the LSR as felt good and misjudged the loop|
    Concerned2|6|36.96 miles|206.43 miles|weeks total includes 2 races & a 12 mile LSR. Just finished week 7 of my training plan|
    cr17|||||
    Rider|5|23m|113m|11 miles on Sat. That was hard. It was very warm! Managed to do a XT session on Sun too!|
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|23|43|week 2 completed|

good week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Bally8|3|15.42 miles|55.6 miles|Missed a 3 mile easy run. Will do better next week:)|
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|4|21.89 miles|39.08 miles|week 2 of novice 2 done though went further on the LSR as felt good and misjudged the loop|
    Concerned2|6|36.96 miles|206.43 miles|weeks total includes 2 races & a 12 mile LSR. Just finished week 7 of my training plan|
    cr17|||||
    Rider|5|23m|113m|11 miles on Sat. That was hard. It was very warm! Managed to do a XT session on Sun too!|
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|23|23|first week down 3 sessions @ 8 , 5 and 10 mile's (+ 2 evenings of Tag rugby)|

Hope the table works. had a nasty cold during the week and two evenings were taken up with taq rugby ( .....speed sessions??:cool:) so only managed 3 sessions this week. milage was there though. Looking forward to this weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Duckee|||||
    cr17|5|26.3 miles|51.1|Week 2 of HH Intermediate 1 complete. Feeling good|
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|||||
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|23|23|first week down 3 sessions @ 8 , 5 and 10 mile's (+ 2 evenings of Tag rugby)|

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Duckee|||||
    Househunter|||||
    Mr Abbey|4|16|31|HH Novice 1 Week 2 Complete - Nice n Easy and no problems |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    [/QUOTE]

LSR question: I am hoping to do sub 4 hour. thats 9:09 minute miles. What sort of pace should the long slow runs be at? I did almost bang on 10 minute miles yesterday, seem right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

LSR question: I am hoping to do sub 4 hour. thats 9:09 minute miles. What sort of pace should the long slow runs be at? I did almost bang on 10 minute miles yesterday, seem right?

Yes, that's perfect.

btw, you should aim for 9 minute miles, rather than 9.09. You won't follow a perfect racing line on the day, so you'll end up running more than 26.2 miles. If you run 26.4 miles @ 9.09 you'll be outside 4 hours.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, that's perfect.

btw, you should aim for 9 minute miles, rather than 9.09. You won't follow a perfect racing line on the day, so you'll end up running more than 26.2 miles. If you run 26.4 miles @ 9.09 you'll be outside 4 hours.

ah yes of course very sound advice. I must buy a watch , my timing method is looking at the clock in the car before i go and when i come back (1h:41min for 10 miles yesterday by pure luck.)

Cant really fork out for the garmins though. Ill get a stop watch and use map my run or something and work out a few markers along the way. Not ideal but i am sure it'll be ok.
    what did people do before the garmins came along?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Duckee|||||
    Househunter|4|35.5|70.8|tough 13 miles with 8 at PMP yesterday|
    Mr Abbey|4|16|31|HH Novice 1 Week 2 Complete - Nice n Easy and no problems |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||

Nice running house what time you aiming for?

Cant really fork out for the garmins though. Ill get a stop watch and use map my run or something and work out a few markers along the way. Not ideal but i am sure it'll be ok.
    what did people do before the garmins came along?

A lot of parks have distances marked out in them,from Sli na Slainte, or running clubs that use the park, you might find some intervals there. But don't worry too much about it, its also good to just run by feel.

• Advertisement

Nice running house what time you aiming for?

I assume you mean me :) ?
    Its my first but I'd like to do it in less than 4 hrs. If yesterdays PMP run was anything to go by I'm not sure I will, but my pace was a bit faster than it should have been so if I do it right the next time I'll see where I am then. The thoughst of running yesterdays pace for 26.2 miles is a bit scary

If yesterdays PMP run was anything to go by I'm not sure I will, but my pace was a bit faster than it should have been so if I do it right the next time I'll see where I am then. The thoughst of running yesterdays pace for 26.2 miles is a bit scary

Plenty of time left
    (that's what I keep telling myself, because my PMP run was much worse than yours :rolleyes:)

If yesterdays PMP run was anything to go by I'm not sure I will, but my pace was a bit faster than it should have been so if I do it right the next time I'll see where I am then. The thoughst of running yesterdays pace for 26.2 miles is a bit scary

Plenty of time left
    (that's what I keep telling myself, because my PMP run was much worse than yours :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I guess so. Those PMP miles better get easier!

I assume you mean me :) ?
    Its my first but I'd like to do it in less than 4 hrs. If yesterdays PMP run was anything to go by I'm not sure I will, but my pace was a bit faster than it should have been so if I do it right the next time I'll see where I am then. The thoughst of running yesterdays pace for 26.2 miles is a bit scary

Ya Sorry:) ,

I am looking to do the same (sub 4hr) but havent really thought about including long stints of PMP running maybe i should...? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Count me in.

Been running for a year and a half now, my first marathon. Won't be able to give it my full attention until after Gaelforce on Aug 20 but in the meantime I'll at least get the LSR done each week. I'll be substituting some of the shorter runs with cycling or mountain running (or a combination).

I intend to do it in 3.40 at worst and I might start thinking about 3.30 if it's going well. OK, tbh I'm already thinking about 3.30.

I did the Achill half last week end in 1.40, and I've been improving my times quite a bit this last while. Am I too ambitious?

BTW, to those discussing measureing their runs, there are good deals for Garmins on pixmania right now. I got a 305 delivered last week for €148.
    Also, if you have gps on your phone you can download an app such as Endomondo or Nokia sportstracker.

Good to have you on board. The Achill half is hilly, so a 1.40 there could see you do a 3.30 in Dublin, but you'll have a better idea closer to the day.
    (You should have gone to Amazon for your Garmin though)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

hi folks,

1st time marathon for me this year and was just looking for some advice.

Was out tonight for 1st run of the week, which I always use for speed work. Session planned was 1 mile warm-up, 6 miles at 30 sec or so quicker than PMP, and 1 Mile cooldown. In short it was a disaster, I had to stop after mile 2, mile 3 & mile 4 :o Body felt like it was running on empty for the first half & even though my HR was not high & at what I would I expect it to be I still felt like crap. The back 4 miles I was fine, still felt like I had nothing in the tank but managed to do quite a quick pace.

My head wasn't really in the right place for it tonight either & I was just wondering what is the right thing to do in a situation like this.

How rigid should I be in sticking to the training plan, I mean if this happens again should I just abandon the planned session and do a nice slow run?

I place alot of faith in my HRM and generally stick to it like gospel esp for long runs, not so much when doing speedwork but as I said earlier my HR was fine but the body & head weren't feeling up to it all. Should this have been a case of listening to the head & not the heart? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

antomagoo

What plan are you following ?

Whats your PMP pace ?

Whats your most recent 10K or greater time ?

What was your average weekly mileage prior to starting marathon training ?

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Hi Ger,

The session was suggested to me by another very experienced runner as run up to the 5 mile this weekend. It takes me ages to get going on the short faster distances and so he suggested this session as a workup to Saturday?

PMP pace is going to about 8:20-8:30

Most recent Half Marathon time is 1:43

Average mileage has been about 20+/- per week before starting marathon training

Not completely green when it comes to running but it is the 1st time I've decided to step up to marathon distance

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tjmer

Hi All,

I am new to this thread but am thinking of doing the Dublin Marathon in October. The problem I have is that I am limited in the amount of training I can do. I had a baby last October and started back running when she was 3 weeks old (so end of October last year). At the moment I get out 3 - 4 times a week. (mostly 3 times a week). The mid week runs are 4 - 6 miles each time and the weekend run (saturday morning) is 8 - 10 miles. I get out for a walk (with baby) on a Sunday morning too if that counts? I have done a couple of 10k races and have signed up for the 5 mile, 10 mile and half marathon in the pheonix park. My plan is to build up my weekend runs to the 20 mile point and do the athlone 3/4 marathon and then the Dublin Marathon. Is this possible? Any advice?

• Advertisement

antomagoo wrote: »
    How rigid should I be in sticking to the training plan, I mean if this happens again should I just abandon the planned session and do a nice slow run?

I wouldn't read too much into one bad run - everyone has them now and again.
    If you have trouble with that run again, ask yourself what could be causing it. Is that pace one that you should be able to handle? (30 seconds faster than PMP, I would say yes) Is it a session too many, or on the wrong day of the week - are you recovered enough to be running this? Are you running at a different time of day than usual, have you eaten enough/too much...

antomagoo wrote: »
    Hi Ger,

PMP pace is going to about 8:20-8:30

Most recent Half Marathon time is 1:43

Average mileage has been about 20+/- per week before starting marathon training

Your pace seems okay for the run so I go along with Ray and only start to worry if it occurs repeatedly.

A lot of calculators will spite out a time of 3:37 ish for you on a marathon. On your first marathon you wont get near the predicted time unless your half marathon time given is soft. I would easy the PMP back to 8:30-8:40 and then reaccess after the 10 mile and half marathon races if you are doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat_1977

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but could do with a bit of advice please!

I've signed up for Dublin this year and it will be my second go at it. I'm not particularly fast, I plodded along last year and got in in 4.42.

I have two new issues I'm faced with this year. The first is that I'm doing most of the training, pretty much on my own this year. Last year I trained with a friend and am only now realising what a difference it makes to have someone to chat to along the way and motivate me to get out. TBH, there may be very little anyone on here can do about that. I just have to man up and get out there!

My second issue is that I'll be in Sri Lanka for work for the first 3 weeks or so in Sept. I've been told that Colombo isn't exactly the type of place one would go out running on on their own, especially a woman, so I'm obviously worried about training. I will have access to a treadmill but doing 18-20 miles on a stationary machine is just not an option for me - i get bored after 2 mins!

My initial plan was to work up to maybe an 18 or a 20 before I go. Spend my 3 weeks there doing short 3-6 milers on the treadmill a few times each week, and then on my return, get in another couple of 18s and a 20 before tapering off for the last couple of weeks.

I know it's not ideal but I feel it's the best plan I have come up with. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions. I'm open to anything except "don't do the marathon" as I've a friend coming over from Barcelona to run it with me! Anyway, I'm all paid up now and want another shiny medal!

C x

TjMer I see no problem in you getting to Dublin prepared for the full given your approach. Have a look at the Novice Plan from the first post, or follow rays weekly schedule. If you can get the 4 days a week all the better.
    You will be bringing the mid week run upto 6-8 miles at some stage during the cycle so try and factor in the extra time needed for it.
    The walk can act as a recovery so long as its not over 40 mins and is relaxed.

cat_1977 You cannot really change the order of the LSR's in the plan, You will have to do the plan as designed on the treadmill when in Sri Lanka.
    As you have already completed a marathon before you will probably get the same benefit from ~3 hours running as you will from a 18-20 miler, and doing 2-2.5 hours for the other runs in the plan. So this may cut back the time spent on the Dreadmill without compromising your training too much.
    I always find that I need to set the incline to 2-3% to simulate road/outside running.

ger664 wrote: »
    cat_1977 You cannot really change the order of the LSR's in the plan, You will have to do the plan as designed on the treadmill when in Sri Lanka.

Well, that would be ideal, but an alternative would be to build up to peak distance before going away, doing as much maintenance as possible on holiday - tempo runs rather than just easy running - and then doing a couple of long weeks again at the end of September. It's not as good, but if long runs really aren't an option in those weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tjmer

Thanks ger664- I'm delighted to hear I have a shot at it. Getting the mud week runs up to 8 miles won't be a problem I will make sure I can fit them in. The Sunday walk is normally about 30-35 mins so that's great to know I can count that in the training. I'm pushing the baby so it's not too fast. The plan then us to build up the Saturday run to the 20 mile mark in time for the athlone 3/4 and then taper the training back until the big day. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out both plans you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 U41

hi guys- new to the running game but v. eager! want to run the marathon this year, and i'm gonna.

alas, i've pulled my glute and it couldn't have happened at a worse time seeing as the Irish Runner 5 Mile is this sat.

Would i be foolish to run this?
    What sort of warm ups/warm downs should i be doing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

U41 wrote: »
    hi guys- new to the running game but v. eager! want to run the marathon this year, and i'm gonna.

alas, i've pulled my glute and it couldn't have happened at a worse time seeing as the Irish Runner 5 Mile is this sat.

Would i be foolish to run this?
    What sort of warm ups/warm downs should i be doing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated***
    If your aim is the marathon I wouldnt risk missing to much time with an injury at this point, if you have pulled the glute already you might only make it worse by running this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 U41

ha! jus what i didnt want to hear:) your right tho, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat_1977

Well, that would be ideal, but an alternative would be to build up to peak distance before going away, doing as much maintenance as possible on holiday - tempo runs rather than just easy running - and then doing a couple of long weeks again at the end of September. It's not as good, but if long runs really aren't an option in those weeks...
    Thanks Ray - this is what I had in mind as I know myself and the work well enough to know that 18 milers on a treadmill simply won't be happening! 12 Miles on Sunday so! Bring it!

Advertisement