Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Their, as in that particular poster. Please read above for my reasons and take note I said some, not all.

For the record, there are Tw@ts in all professions that think they are better than you just because they are who they are.

I've had 50-50 experiences with gardai. Half the time you get a complete cockbag who doesn't want to help, and half the time you get a really pleasant capable person, who bent over backwards. That's 20 or so incidents in the past 20 years

That said, if I was in an industry where half the people were complete douchebags, I'd find another industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I've had 50-50 experiences with gardai. Half the time you get a complete cockbag who doesn't want to help, and half the time you get a really pleasant capable person, who bent over backwards. That's 20 or so incidents in the past 20 years

That said, if I was in an industry where half the people were complete douchebags, I'd find another industry.

So the percentage of "douchebags" would then drop after you left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

So the percentage of "douchebags" would then drop after you left.[/QUOTE

i just love gardai who are part time comediennes

So the percentage of "douchebags" would then drop after you left.

Well, a better idea would be to get rid of the douchebags who give gardai a bad name, but even the non douchebags don't seem to want to get rid of the other ones. They just cover for them and do their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

the general response to a robbery is a bit of lip service with the final word usually you will never see your stuff again as for the asssault surely a doctor would be a more welcome sight

Much good a doctor would be if the burglar returned!

Nice to see this thread has reached a new level of tit for tat between posters

Tayto lover is not a cop afaik so slagging him/her in a Garda bashing thread is a bit of a waste of time! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Which brings us back to the point of this thread. If you are currently in financial difficulty......

a) cutback on your expenses
    b) find a new career path that will accommodate you lifestyle

Which brings us back to the point of this thread. If you are currently in financial difficulty......

a) cutback on your expenses
    b) find a new career path that will accommodate you lifestyle

No one has managed to come up with any useful suggestions as to how our household should "cut back on expenses" in 45 pages of this thread

Other than whiteonion who said we should never have married or had kids :rolleyes:

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Much good a doctor would be if the burglar returned!

Nice to see this thread has reached a new level of tit for tat between posters

Tayto lover is not a cop afaik so slagging him/her in a Garda bashing thread is a bit of a waste of time! :rolleyes:

I've never really got this reasoning. If you've already been burgled, what's the point of em coming back if they've already nicked everything??

ps: i've been a victim of burglary.

I've never really got this reasoning. If you've already been burgled, what's the point of em coming back if they've already nicked everything??

In my case they didn't get everything
    He cleared out two rooms and then met me and got kinda side tracked
    I don't think finding me at home was part of his plan
    Neither was leaving a decent stereo, TV, Video, Laptop and PC (all were kept in bedroom)
    Come to think of it I doubt he intended leaving me alive either god knows he did his best not to
    For which he got 6 months suspended because his mammy was sick and needed him at home to mind her!
    The joys of our legal system! :(

No one has managed to come up with any useful suggestions as to how our household should "cut back on expenses" in 45 pages of this thread

Other than whiteonion who said we should never have married or had kids :rolleyes:

That's because a persons financial situation is their own responsibility. I have money troubles but that's my problem. The budget affected all not just guards.

If you've got 2 cars in one household, sell one! That's a saving on tax, insurance, petrol and repair costs. And the cash from sale could go against a debt owed.

• Advertisement

That's because a persons financial situation is their own responsibility. I have money troubles but that's my problem. The budget affected all not just guards.

If you've got 2 cars in one household, sell one! That's a saving on tax, insurance, petrol and repair costs. And the cash from sale could go against a debt owed.

I have already explained that my father pays for my tax, insurance, NCT, Tyres, maintenance, petrol etc etc for my car as I am pretty much his on call taxi service so that isn't a runner and the car costs me nothing
    My husband uses his car for work in the sticks so that is a non runner

Any other ideas?

go to www.mabs.ie, make an appointment with a financial counsellor, and go from there.

Has no one suggested that yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

There's loads of reasons

1) They know your alarm/locks/windows/doors/whatever has been compromised
    2) They know with this particular house they won't be beaten up, savaged by a dog, etc
    3) They know exactly what you have and where it is (+ new stuff you have replaced that they originally stole)
    4) The classic criminal "return to the scene of the crime" mentality
    5) Burglars aren't the most intelligent people in the world, and in a lot of cases extremely stoned or strung out during the burglary
    6) They might need some more burglars to come along next time to help with something big like a tv, computer, etc

go to www.mabs.ie, make an appointment with a financial counsellor, and go from there.

Has no one suggested that yet?

Pray tell what is MABS going to say that a qualified accountant (i.e. me) hasn't thought of already :rolleyes:

Besides did you even look at my figures? :cool:

In my case they didn't get everything
    He cleared out two rooms and then met me and got kinda side tracked
    I don't think finding me at home was part of his plan
    Neither was leaving a decent stereo, TV, Video, Laptop and PC (all were kept in bedroom)
    Come to think of it I doubt he intended leaving me alive either god knows he did his best not to
    For which he got 6 months suspended because his mammy was sick and needed him at home to mind her!
    The joys of our legal system! :(

I'm sorry to hear that and i'm sure you were distressed.

My sister was also burgled whilst herself, her husband and children slept upstairs. Like you not everything was taken. The police (she lives in London) dusted for prints, gave her a crime number and advised her on how to secure her home more effectively. They also advised that the probability of catching the thieves was slim to none.
    She never felt they would return and organised for an alarm system to be fitted the next day.

I'm sorry to hear that and i'm sure you were distressed.

My sister was also burgled whilst herself, her husband and children slept upstairs. Like you not everything was taken. The police (she lives in London) dusted for prints, gave her a crime number and advised her on how to secure her home more effectively. They also advised that the probability of catching the thieves was slim to none.
    She never felt they would return and organised for an alarm system to be fitted the next day.

I got the reg number of his car
    As someone else stated burglars aren't bright!

I have already explained that my father pays for my tax, insurance, NCT, Tyres, maintenance, petrol etc etc for my car as I am pretty much his on call taxi service so that isn't a runner and the car costs me nothing
    My husband uses his car for work in the sticks so that is a non runner

Any other ideas?

Apply for carers allowance for helping your father. I'm sure hubby doesn't work 24/7. He could do the grocery shopping on way home, or you could if he's on nights and you have access to car during day?

Pray tell what is MABS going to say that a qualified accountant (i.e. me) hasn't thought of already :rolleyes:

Besides did you even look at my figures? :cool:

Someone from mabs.ie might tell you that you're looking to everyone else to solve your problems, which doesn't seem to have occurred to you.

No, I didn't bother, because I'm not in financial trouble, you are.

Apply for carers allowance for helping your father. I'm sure hubby doesn't work 24/7. He could do the grocery shopping on way home, or you could if he's on nights and you have access to car during day?

I don't live with my father i only drive him everywhere as he is off the road (for medical reasons) my mother cares for him therefore not entitled to carer's allowance
    The grocery shopping is not an issue I use the hubby's car for that anyway cos the boot is bigger
    I need to have a car available to me 24/7 for my father (my mother does not drive)
    I cannot do that if I have no car and my husband is out in the sticks!

I also use my car for interviews for jobs!

Someone from mabs.ie might tell you that you're looking to everyone else to solve your problems, which doesn't seem to have occurred to you.

No, I didn't bother, because I'm not in financial trouble, you are.

Sarcasm duly noted

I am not looking for anyone else to solve my problems but everyone posting here has some crazy idea that all cops are living extravagant lifestyles that are way beyond their means and my financials prove that that is codswallop

The truth doesn't seem to matter in this thread however!

• Advertisement

I don't live with my father i only drive him everywhere as he is off the road (for medical reasons) my mother cares for him therefore not entitled to carer's allowance
    The grocery shopping is not an issue I use the hubby's car for that anyway cos the boot is bigger
    I need to have a car available to me 24/7 for my father (my mother does not drive)
    I cannot do that if I have no car and my husband is out in the sticks!

I also use my car for interviews for jobs!

As your mother doesn't drive you are the only link your father has to doctors, hospital appts and wherever else he may need to go. Therefore, you are his carer. Perhaps, if your mother is receiving carers allowance for him and, only one carers allowance is permissible (i'm unsure as to the rules), maybe your mother should relinquish her carers allowance and let you apply for it?

I hope that doesn't sound condescending, it isn't intended to be. But it may help your situation.

As your mother doesn't drive you are the only link your father has to doctors, hospital appts and wherever else he may need to go. Therefore, you are his carer. Perhaps, if your mother is receiving carers allowance for him and, only one carers allowance is permissible (i'm unsure as to the rules), maybe your mother should relinquish her carers allowance and let you apply for it?

I hope that doesn't sound condescending, it isn't intended to be. But it may help your situation.
    To qualify for carer's allowance you must be living with, or in a position to provide full-time care and attention to a person in need of care who does not normally live in an institution

Thanks for the suggestion though! At least you made a suggestion! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion though! At least you made a suggestion! :rolleyes:

Glad to be of help. Virtual bills in the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

Sarcasm duly noted

I am not looking for anyone else to solve my problems but everyone posting here has some crazy idea that all cops are living extravagant lifestyles that are way beyond their means and my financials prove that that is codswallop

The truth doesn't seem to matter in this thread however!

I never said that cops are living extravagant lifestyles. They have suffered a reduction in salary and the whiny press releases from public sector unions are getting tiresome and let down their members.

The same unions know that if instead of the monthly moan, they started to look at improving efficiencies in their organisation, one casualty might be their own jobs. An efficient organisation polices (ha!) itself and doesn't really need a union.

Public Sector Unions- Stop Whining!

stop your internet connection and sell your computer

stop your internet connection and sell your computer

But how would I waste my days (and nights) then? :rolleyes:

I use the internet for job searches and the PC is 3-4 years old at this stage so its probably not worth much

g_moriarty wrote: »
    There's loads of reasons

1) They know your alarm/locks/windows/doors/whatever has been compromised
    2) They know with this particular house they won't be beaten up, savaged by a dog, etc
    3) They know exactly what you have and where it is (+ new stuff you have replaced that they originally stole)
    4) The classic criminal "return to the scene of the crime" mentality
    5) Burglars aren't the most intelligent people in the world, and in a lot of cases extremely stoned or strung out during the burglary
    6) They might need some more burglars to come along next time to help with something big like a tv, computer, etc

its ok or last goverment have made it clear that your best bet would be to kick them round the place for an hour or use a weapon if you can get your hands on one a lot more effective than the gardai and a lot less likely to come back

But how would I waste my days (and nights) then? :rolleyes:

I use the internet for job searches and the PC is 3-4 years old at this stage so its probably not worth much

true

its ok or last goverment have made it clear that your best bet would be to kick them round the place for an hour or use a weapon if you can get your hands on one a lot more effective than the gardai and a lot less likely to come back

As well as being totally & completely illegal

Didn't know Boards supported the notion of vigilanteeism these days :eek:

• Advertisement

As well as being totally & completely illegal

Didn't know Boards supported the notion of vigilanteeism these days :eek:

did dermot aherne not bring in legislation that you where allowed use approriate force to protect yourself in your own house

Advertisement