Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I don't charge ..........much !

Dude your creeping me out now, I was always suspicious of people that work with kids but this takes the biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Offy wrote: »
    Dude your creeping me out now, I was always suspicious of people that work with kids but this takes the biscuit!

You can bring your friend Dresden8 too. No extra charge. I can cure heal of you and before long you two will have great time for the boys in blue and every other profession.

You can bring your friend Dresden8 too. No extra charge. I can cure heal of you and before long you two will have great time for the boys in blue and every other profession.

I'll stick with women, thanks!

I'll stick with women, thanks!

See that, you are starting to mellow already. I didn't think my internet counselling skills would work so fast. I'm better than i thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

gurramok wrote: »
    Err, I have provided facts about it and you will remember that from a few months ago in our discussions. You compared an unemployed couple to a working singleton in the struggling stakes, that is just outrageous.

Have you read the thread at all?

To state again, the posted declared a health expense of 3k a year for a single person, now kindly explain how a person on 40k a year can obtain that for himself? (millionaires subscribing to the Mater Private ruled out)

Im sorry I shouldnt but this is getting daft.

gurramok. I did not tell you I was single. You presumed It. It didnt say I was looking for a wife on the internet or CFJ. I was asking for your suggestions to find a wife that would share the bills. It was a joke do you not understand this.

This is what you said to me.

3k on Medical Aid. How many other people are you paying for? No wife around to help the bills??

This is what I answered

"Ill take your other suggestion on board. Get a wife to help with the bills. Any ideas where id find one of these. Internet, Copper face jacks, etc"

So now gurramok you can now be happy in the knowledge that I am married. What is your point now that you have this great nugget of information.

By the way I also quoted a mortgage/rent of €9000. Im obviously not paying mortgage and rent. I picked this as a figure of what people may be paying not me. Why dont you argue about how low it is. Its definitley below average.

• Advertisement

See that, you are starting to mellow already. I didn't think my internet counselling skills would work so fast. I'm better than i thought !

I disagree, back to the point:- coppers are public servants that generate no real income other than securing government fines. There is not enough money to be made from that so they do not help build a society like other professionals. They do however make more of a contribution than teachers. Either way any coppers that cannot survive on $40k in this economic environment gets no sympathy from anyone. If they cannot survive on $40k then they need to learn to manage their budget, nothing more than that. Yes they do provide an essencial service but it doesnt generate much, it protects whats already there. We need generation more than protection at the moment. Expenses have to be reduced and income has to be increased. Cops cant do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Im sorry I shouldnt but this is getting daft.

gurramok. I did not tell you I was single. You presumed It. It didnt say I was looking for a wife on the internet or CFJ. I was asking for your suggestions to find a wife that would share the bills. It was a joke do you not understand this.

This is what you said to me.

3k on Medical Aid. How many other people are you paying for? No wife around to help the bills??

This is what I answered

"Ill take your other suggestion on board. Get a wife to help with the bills. Any ideas where id find one of these. Internet, Copper face jacks, etc"

So now gurramok you can now be happy in the knowledge that I am married. What is your point now that you have this great nugget of information.

By the way I also quoted a mortgage/rent of €9000. Im obviously not paying mortgage and rent. I picked this as a figure of what people may be paying not me. Why dont you argue about how low it is. Its definitley below average.

Yes, much later on, you stated you were married. So do tell where the 3k Medical aid expense comes from. As a couple, you have to take account of your wife's earnings instead of using a single salary for both as a single barometer of your income and expenses.

I disagree, back to the point:- coppers are public servants that generate no real income other than securing government fines. There is not enough money to be made from that so they do not help build a society like other professionals. They do however make more of a contribution than teachers. Either way any coppers that cannot survive on $40k in this economic environment gets no sympathy from anyone. If they cannot survive on $40k then they need to learn to manage their budget, nothing more than that. Yes they do provide an essencial service but it doesnt generate much, it protects whats already there. We need generation more than protection at the moment. Expenses have to be reduced and income has to be increased. Cops cant do this.

Well now if your engineering project was prevented from being completed by a gang of yobbos who invaded your site and prevented you from working, how would you get it finished. If it was costing millions by being held up and the "coppers" cleared the site of yobbos then their worth might have been more important than yours. Each to his own !

And so to bed. Nite nite.

Yes, much later on, you stated you were married. So do tell where the 3k Medical aid expense comes from. As a couple, you have to take account of your wife's earnings instead of using a single salary for both as a single barometer of your income and expenses.

Much later on then what. Man your noyt the fcuking revenue. I dont have tyo declare my expenses to you.

Tell me are you just pretending to be stupid or can you really not understand what Im saying.

read this again, your just getting annoying now
    Sorry mate. I was asking where would I get a wife to help with the bills. Big difference.

At least you've given up on the motoring costs.

Anyway your still missing the point. These were not meant to be a breakdown of my expenses although they are similar. These are expenses that every working person MAY have. When you take them into consideration with other deductions, 50 grand doesn't be long disappearing. And before you jump in on me again neither does 40grand, or 30grand. By the way you want me to declare my entire household income on here and yet you have no intention of letting us know what you work at

Much later on then what. Man your noyt the fcuking revenue. I dont have tyo declare my expenses to you.

Tell me are you just pretending to be stupid or can you really not understand what Im saying.

read this again, your just getting annoying now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71814490&postcount=263 . Here you stated(which you later said was a joke) that you were seeking a woman in CFJ. You had stated a single persons salary and a couple's expenses as a Garda without mentioning you had a spouse in the expenses.

You're original post had fantasy expenses of 7k for a car per year plus 3k 'Medical aid' for a single earner which is simply false.

Now, you give out that you do not have to declare such expenses but you originally contributed a list of income and expenses to back up how its tough on 40k so excuse me if I decide on behalf of the truth to seek out the correct figures.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71814490&postcount=263 . Here you stated(which you later said was a joke) that you were seeking a woman in CFJ. You had stated a single persons salary and a couple's expenses as a Garda without mentioning you had a spouse in the expenses.

You're original post had fantasy expenses of 7k for a car per year plus 3k 'Medical aid' for a single earner which is simply false.

Now, you give out that you do not have to declare such expenses but you originally contributed a list of income and expenses to back up how its tough on 40k so excuse me if I decide on behalf of the truth to seek out the correct figures.
    You couldn't make this up.

I taught you had picked up the bit about the car

Good man. Now I now your having a laugh. You had me going. Fair play. Good night

Good man. Now I now your having a laugh. You had me going. Fair play. Good night

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Ive just read all the posts on this thread and whats it seems to show is nothing but old fashioned begrudgery.I am a hard working YES hard working public servant for the last 24 years .I am sick **** of feeling that I must apologise for this and am made to feel that i must be grateful for having a job, a job whos wages have dropped hugely in the last 18 months ,ONE question for all of you anti public servants out there Why is it that when the CELTIC tiger was roaring nobody complained about our wages, It was all fine that you ENGINEERS fleeced us with hughly increased charges and we werent able to complain or whinge about same, NOT 1 of you out there suggested that us PS be given a rise to match the huge wage you were coming home with!!!! Oh no there was no moaning back then but now that you private sector workers especially those in the building trade ar being effected by your greed we all of a sudden are the targets!!! AMAZINGLY enough during the celtic tiger the amount of applicants for jobs in the PS dropped by a huge amount I wonder why that was .?? Any of you smart intelligent people care to take a guess??? Well done angel by the way you have defended your corner well but sometimes the truth just is not enough for SOME !!!!!!

So good you posted it twice!

So you have no comeback, speaks volumes indeed. Sleep tight and don't let the beg bugs bite :)

cordub wrote: »
    Ive just read all the posts on this thread and whats it seems to show is nothing but old fashioned begrudgery.I am a hard working YES hard working public servant for the last 24 years .I am sick **** of feeling that I must apologise for this and am made to feel that i must be grateful for having a job, a job whos wages have dropped hugely in the last 18 months ,ONE question for all of you anti public servants out there Why is it that when the CELTIC tiger was roaring nobody complained about our wages, It was all fine that you ENGINEERS fleeced us with hughly increased charges and we werent able to complain or whinge about same, NOT 1 of you out there suggested that us PS be given a rise to match the huge wage you were coming home with!!!! Oh no there was no moaning back then but now that you private sector workers especially those in the building trade ar being effected by your greed we all of a sudden are the targets!!! AMAZINGLY enough during the celtic tiger the amount of applicants for jobs in the PS dropped by a huge amount I wonder why that was .?? Any of you smart intelligent people care to take a guess??? Well done angel by the way you have defended your corner well but sometimes the truth just is not enough for SOME !!!!!!

You got benchmarking through the Tiger years without productivity improvements and also got and still receive increments based on how many years you have served. Your wages may have dropped recently but they are still massively ahead of the private sector due to said benchmarking and increments and no I am not a building engineer. I am a concerned taxpayer.

If you find it bad going on crap wages(LOL), try getting a job in the private sector on such wages, prepare yourself for the shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

You got benchmarking through the Tiger years without productivity improvements and also got and still receive increments based on how many years you have served. Your wages may have dropped recently but they are still massively ahead of the private sector due to said benchmarking and increments and no I am not a building engineer. I am a concerned taxpayer.

If you find it bad going on crap wages(LOL), try getting a job in the private sector on such wages, prepare yourself for the shock.
    Yes we got benchmarking all of which has been almost taken back from us, but even with bench marking we never ever earned half as much as say anyone in the building trade as was often pointed out to me by my affluent builder neighbours at the time !!! I have always payed tax UNLIKE lots of trades men who work reguarly for CASH . dont know what area of the PS your talking about but theres no lots of produtivity in crime believe me , Im doing the same job with less staff and more work thats what I call productivity :rolleyes::rolleyes: with no improvements looking likely due to the current embargo on recruitment:(:(

Yes we got benchmarking all of which has been almost taken back from us, but even with bench marking we never ever earned half as much as say anyone in the building trade as was often pointed out to me by my affluent builder neighbours at the time !!! I have always payed tax UNLIKE lots of trades men who work reguarly for CASH . dont know what area of the PS your talking about but theres no lots of produtivity in crime believe me , Im doing the same job with less staff and more work thats what I call productivity :rolleyes::rolleyes: with no improvements looking likely due to the current embargo on recruitment:(:(

Most of those builders are unemployed/emigrated now. Maybe you should inform your manager/team leader if you feel you are being overworked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

For what I do €40k is poor pay, thats just the way the world turns baby.

For what i do, €40k is poor pay but that doesn't mean I'd be stupid enough to turn down a job in the middle of a recession that was offering €30k
    That's called REALITY
    As opposed to the fantasy land you appear to live in :rolleyes:

I disagree, back to the point:- coppers are public servants that generate no real income other than securing government fines. There is not enough money to be made from that so they do not help build a society like other professionals. .....blah blah blah....

Is accountancy not a profession then?? :eek:
    Just incase that isnt clear:
    Upper middle class. Professionals with a college education, and more often with postgraduate degrees like MBAs, Ph.D.s, MDs, JDs, MSs, etc. (e.g., doctors, engineers, dentists, lawyers, bankers, corporate executives, head teachers, university professors, scientists, pharmacists, airline pilots, ship captains, actuaries, high level civil servants, politicians, and military officers, architects, artists, writers, poets, and musicians).
    Lower middle class. Lower-paid white collar workers, but not manual laborers. Often hold Associates or Bachelor degrees. (e.g., police officers, fire fighters, primary and high school teachers, accountants, nurses, municipal office workers and low to mid-level civil servants, sales representatives, non-management office workers, clergy, technicians, small business owners).
    Taken from:
    Thats the way of the world! So as you can see we engineers ARE worth more than coppers or accoutants.

Do you have a PHD (or whatever the engineering equivalent is) in engineering?
    If not then take yourself down off your pedestal you are no more qualified than I am I am not a "lower paid" white collar worker I earned 100k in 2009 (my last full financial year in employment) in what fantasy land do you consider 100k to be "lower paid"???? :rolleyes:
    OK you mentioned the H&S act 2005 plus the WTD the Traffic corp are to enforce these laws both on bus&truck drivers the H&S act applies to your work place/station(excuse the pun) so I find it ironic that an officer of the law would be in breach of breaking these while enforcing them.;)
    As for running a house I do at present havent had a holiday in over four years not unless you include a weekend in Waterford when I stayed at a friends house.
    Ok mate I gotcha now
    The gardai have to enforce the H&S legislation but they are not in breach of it while doing so because the legislation does not apply to them
    Gardai & the army are exempt from the protection of employment legislation
    As for the house running comment I made, it was meant for Offy not you sorry I should have quoted him properly to make it clearer!
    K-9 wrote: »
    It's 62 years old. The article then goes onto list newer models that has Accountants as middle class.

It's from a time Accountants were seen as book keepers. Nowadays CEO's are usually Accountants.
    OFFY please take note!!!!!! (and thanks K-9) :D
    Maybe but we do provide a better service than coppers and teachers and accountants :p
    Oh yeah that's right engineers are perfect.... in your fantasy land maybe but in reality.... mmmm.... not really!
    Well done angel by the way you have defended your corner well but sometimes the truth just is not enough for SOME !!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, (takes a little bow)

I like nothing better than a good argument
    Then again this is nothing LIKE a good argument (with a few exceptions) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

You realise our country is broke, don't you?

People are annoyed with over-paid public servants because the public pay their wages, essentially.

You think you should be paid more than others because you work for the public service?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Do you have a PHD (or whatever the engineering equivalent is) in engineering?
    If not then take yourself down off your pedestal you are no more qualified than I am I am not a "lower paid" white collar worker I earned 100k in 2009 (my last full financial year in employment) in what fantasy land do you consider 100k to be "lower paid"???? :rolleyes:

I take it you are unemployed then, that would hardly give you an upper class standing, unless you have a trust fund.

Wondering what your current status is to be honest, 2009 was not exactly last week.

• Advertisement

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    You realise our country is broke, don't you?

People are annoyed with over-paid public servants because the public pay their wages, essentially.

You think you should be paid more than others because you work for the public service?

Why do people always say "we pay your wages"
    Do they not realise that public servants pay PAYE/PRSI/USC as well and that their deductions the same as deductions from private sector workers go into the pot at the department of finance from which lots of things are paid for including roads, school buildings & wages

The "I pay your wages" comment doesn't really wash

On that basis can you sack or discipline a Garda? Or tell them what jobs to do or not do? No you cant because your not their boss

I take it you are unemployed then, that would hardly give you an upper class standing, unless you have a trust fund.

Wondering what your current status is to be honest, 2009 was not exactly last week.

Explained this previously but anyway....
    Worked last full year in 2009
    Got laid off in May 2010
    Currently seeking employment

Even as a person currently out of work I'd like to think I rate higher on the social scale than someone who won't get their ass out of bed for less than 40k! :rolleyes:

Explained this previously but anyway....
    Worked last full year in 2009
    Got laid off in May 2010
    Currently seeking employment

Even as a person currently out of work I'd like to think I rate higher on the social scale than someone who won't get their ass out of bed for less than 40k! :rolleyes:

Social scale?

You're unemployed and you are talking about social scale to others that are in employment.

Your PHD is useless if you don't have the employment to put it to use.

I know there are a lot of people unemployed, but your conceited view on this does really help your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Do they not realise that public servants pay PAYE/PRSI/USC as well and that their deductions the same as deductions from private sector workers go into the pot at the department of finance from which lots of things are paid for including roads, school buildings & wages

On that basis can you sack or discipline a Garda? Or tell them what jobs to do or not do? No you cant because your not their boss

Angelfire your going get a load of that thrown at you yes the PS/CS/Gardai also pay taxes my oringinal post that I quoted you on was where you could be based,I have mates who have lived in Dublin all there lives and are still based here although not in their local station.
    It's like that f**king average wage crap with the ESB another media witch hunt everyone is struggling at present be it private or public sector and the print media love it as it sells papers etc.
    But for the likes of the AGSI to come out with statements like the above is only going to piss more people off,I know in some private sector companies there rubbing the aul hands together at the profits they will make at the cost of their so caled trusted employees,Take one major international company who won a contract from my old company their paying the staff half the amount yet the tender was in and around the same price.
    Over in the politics forum some dope said we should have someone like Pinochet in charge of us,I wonder how much Colm Mc Carthy gets paid as a UCD lecturer.

Social scale?

You're unemployed and you are talking about social scale to others that are in employment.

Your PHD is useless if you don't have the employment to put it to use.

I know there are a lot of people unemployed, but your conceited view on this does really help your argument.

I am not so conceited that I would refuse to get out of bed for anything less than 40k a year
    Nor am I so conceited as to state that my profession (and yes despite my current lack of employment I am still an accountant) is better than everyone else's
    Please take some time to read the posts by Offy before commenting on my replies to them
    Let me give you some examples to help:
    An accountant is worth far more than a copper imo. Look the facts remain, coppers get paid to much, the service they provide is crap and they are power hungry bullies. Like coppers accountants dont create jobs, tax income (not anywhere on the same level as engineers anyway) and in social stratification where do they stand? We engineers are up on top with doctors, ahh look just click on this link, Ive made it easy for you!
    Upper middle class. Professionals with a college education, and more often with postgraduate degrees like MBAs, Ph.D.s, MDs, JDs, MSs, etc. (e.g., doctors, engineers, dentists, lawyers, bankers, corporate executives, head teachers, university professors, scientists, pharmacists, airline pilots, ship captains, actuaries, high level civil servants, politicians, and military officers, architects, artists, writers, poets, and musicians).
    Lower middle class. Lower-paid white collar workers, but not manual laborers. Often hold Associates or Bachelor degrees. (e.g., police officers, fire fighters, primary and high school teachers, accountants, nurses, municipal office workers and low to mid-level civil servants, sales representatives, non-management office workers, clergy, technicians, small business owners).
    Taken from:
    Thats the way of the world! So as you can see we engineers ARE worth more than coppers or accoutants.
    Im not taking the piss as it happens, engineers are worth more than coppers and thats the way it is, get over it!
    Im simply pointing out that as an engineer with 10+ years experience I wouldn't lift my ass for €40k
    For what I do €40k is poor pay, thats just the way the world turns baby.
    Coppers are still overpaid and thats that.
    Teachers are overpaid too. Roll on IMF.

and in response to this:
    sillybird wrote: »
    so are engineers :P
    Maybe but we do provide a better service than coppers and teachers and accountants :p

I am in no way conceited
    I studied for 8 years to get my qualifications and yes I am proud of them but I don't make out that I am better than everyone else because of that!
    (like others I could mention) :rolleyes:

Angelfire your going get a load of that thrown at you yes the PS/CS/Gardai also pay taxes my oringinal post that I quoted you on was where you could be based,I have mates who have lived in Dublin all there lives and are still based here although not in their local station.
    It's like that f**king average wage crap with the ESB another media witch hunt everyone is struggling at present be it private or public sector and the print media love it as it sells papers etc.
    But for the likes of the AGSI to come out with statements like the above is only going to piss more people off,I know in some private sector companies there rubbing the aul hands together at the profits they will make at the cost of their so caled trusted employees,Take one major international company who won a contract from my old company their paying the staff half the amount yet the tender was in and around the same price.
    Over in the politics forum some dope said we should have someone like Pinochet in charge of us,I wonder how much Colm Mc Carthy gets paid as a UCD lecturer.

Agreed
    But in relation to your mates in Dublin they could be moved next week you never know ;)
    You can only turn down a transfer once as far as I know

My dad was stationed in 7 different stations that I can remember (during the 20 something years I was alive while he was in the Gardai)
    My hubby has been transferred twice during our marriage (10 yrs)

We do pay their wages, they provide a service that cost tax money, what do they generate in fines? We pay the rest! Without us they dont exist. We come first so we are more important, get over it!

I am not so conceited that I would refuse to get out of bed for anything less than 40k a year
    Nor am I so conceited as to state that my profession (and yes despite my current lack of employment I am still an accountant) is better than everyone else's
    Please take some time to read the posts by Offy before commenting on my replies to them
    Let me give you some examples to help:

and in response to this:

I am in no way conceited
    I studied for 8 years to get my qualifications and yes I am proud of them but I don't make out that I am better than everyone else because of that!
    (like others I could mention) :rolleyes:

Ah be honest now, you are conceited. I bet your raging that you got into a rubbish profession unlike engineering which is great! We rule........How do accountants help people? Look at the computer you use, we designed it, look at the car you drive, we designed it, look at the house you live in, we designed it, look at the cooker you use to prepair you dinner, we designed it, look at the pen you write with, we designed it, look at the tools your doctor uses to save your life, we designed them, look at the handcuffs the cops use to protect us, we designed them. What have you done for us? Every single human benifits from engineers, but accountants? coppers? See the point? We are the best, better than all the rest!!!!!!!!! Tina get out here! ok Im done now

Ah be honest now, you are conceited. I bet your raging that you got into a rubbish profession unlike engineering which is great! We rule........How do accountants help people? Look at the computer you use, we designed it, look at the car you drive, we designed it, look at the house you live in, we designed it, look at the cooker you use to prepair you dinner, we designed it, look at the pen you write with, we designed it, look at the tools your doctor uses to save your life, we designed them, look at the handcuffs the cops use to protect us, we designed them. What have you done for us? Every single human benifits from engineers, but accountants? coppers? See the point? We are the best, better than all the rest!!!!!!!!! Tina get out here! ok Im done now

If you hadn't made so many posts I would seriously consider you to be a troll!

I can almost GUARANTEE you that when you go working for the company that you think will be paying you €40k that company will have an accountant
    Depending on the size of the firm the accountant may be responsible for administering your pay and doing the payroll, sending the P30's and P35's to the Revenue and giving you your P60 every February
    The company's accountant will also do the VAT returns and send out invoices to customers, they will be responsible for paying suppliers and getting payment from customers (a function without which the company would not survive)
    At the end of the financial year the accountant will prepare the accounts (trading, profit & loss and balance sheet) which will then be audited by an external accountant and a decision/recommendation will be made by that auditor as to whether the company should or should not continue trading into the following year
    Along the way the accountant will have produced budgets for projects, and projections for the companies directors, they will more than likely have done cost benefit analysis on company projects and where projects have failed to meet the financial targets as identified by ENGINEERS the accountant will be able to say why

But accountants are not the subject of this thread and we are going totally off topic

Does society benefit from having Gardai? Of course it does
    Without a police force you would have anarchy

A Garda enforces prevailing laws, attempts to prevent crime, and generally looks out for the health and safety of a community. The exact job requirements are actually quite diverse, depending on the division in which he or she works and the exact position in which they are is employed. Some are work the beat for example, patrolling a regular route to look out for infractions of the law, while others specialize in dog handling, drug units, CAB etc etc

Many people primarily think of Gardai as the people who hand out tickets and speeding fines. However, this job is actually much more complex. Gardai work to prevent lawbreaking by patrolling, offering youth education, and coordinating community efforts like neighborhood watch associations. They also respond to complaints ranging from noise complaints to emergency calls for help, and they investigate crimes, collecting evidence and arresting people of interest in criminal cases. Most Gardai also have to testify in court at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Taken from:

The training course to join the Gardaí is a level 7 HETAC degree which fits in there right along with you engineer friends.
    OK you mentioned the H&S act 2005 plus the WTD the Traffic corp are to enforce these laws both on bus&truck drivers the H&S act applies to your work place/station(excuse the pun) so I find it ironic that an officer of the law would be in breach of breaking these while enforcing them.;)
    As for running a house I do at present havent had a holiday in over four years not unless you include a weekend in Waterford when I stayed at a friends house.

I think you misunderstand. They are not in breach of the legislation. It simply does not apply to them. They don't have the benefit of it.

Advertisement