Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I hope you can have more than one of each player on a team, I would like to see how a team of Sean O' Brien's would get on against the rugby world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

part1.jpg
    part2.jpg
    part4.jpg
    part6.jpg
    part7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

ajeffares wrote: »
    part1.jpg
    part2.jpg
    part4.jpg
    part6.jpg
    part7.jpg

For those that dont know as ajeffares didnt mention it.
    Those are the achivements for RWC2011 and not RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Rugby Challenge seems to have been seriously rushed out the door, never before have I heard of a game being dated for release a week after the announcement, even Amazon.co.uk doesn't have a listing for it yet. That being said, RWC 2011's derth of features in indicative of it not exactly getting a huge development time either.

And the saddest part is that I'm looking forward to getting my hands on both more than any other games right now. The long wait has me willing to accept almost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Syferus wrote: »
    Rugby Challenge seems to have been seriously rushed out the door, never before have I heard of a game being dated for release a week after the announcement, even Amazon.co.uk doesn't have a listing for it yet. That being said, RWC 2011's derth of features in indicative of it not exactly getting a huge development time either.

And the saddest part is that I'm looking forward to getting my hands on both more than any other games right now. The long wait has me willing to accept almost anything.

RC said they were trying to get the game out before the competition, but decided that this was unlikely and so they were going to hold off until they were satisfied. They may have seen RWC2011 and said "Well, we're comfortably better..."
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Here's a list of achievements Tolosenc your going to love one in particular !

I don't get it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

tolosenc wrote: »
    RC said they were trying to get the game out before the competition, but decided that this was unlikely and so they were going to hold off until they were satisfied. They may have seen RWC2011 and said "Well, we're comfortably better..."

In all honestly that sounds like marketing double talk - they had to, for financial reasons alone, release the game no later than early September and indeed for events like the FIFA World Cup or the Olympics the prevailing thought seems to be that the optimum time to get a tie-in game out is a month-and-a-half to two months before the event.

I would have preferred if EA had stuck with rugby and kept most of the licences together rather than letting HB Studios go it alone, partly because Rugby 08's system of play is like second nature to me now, but it'll be interesting to see how Rugby Challenge alters the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I'm hoping that if Rugby Challange does as well as I think it will that the sequel will have a much easier time of getting distribution. Sidhe seem to have done very well for such a small company though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

The reports from people playing the game seem to say that RC is going to be brilliant. Now to find someone in NZ.......

Curtasy of: http://forums.sidhe.co.nz/showthread.php?44609-Rugby-Challenge-Hard-Mode-Review-Madhatter9

Ireland Line Up: The players they match up to arnt certinties just what it appears to be to me.

15. Ferris - Kearney
    14. Buckley (rating 88) - Bowe
    13. B. O'Connor (rating 94) - BOD
    12. Danaher - Darcy
    11. Elgoyhen - Earls
    10. Stowers - Sexton
    9. Ronan - Reddan
    8. Humphreys - Heaslip
    7. Waqaseduadua - Wallace
    6. O'Donohoe - SOB
    5. O'Gara - POC
    4. D. O'Connor - DOC
    3. Hagan - Hayes
    2. Bowe - Best
    1. Hirashima - Horan (i know i know these should be the props but i have a feeling they are the players they have been based on as it seems in general the Inatials match the real players)

on the bench (only one i have spotted on the official forums as listed on the bench.

21. Rhys Keogh (rating 85) - O'Gara

got the ratings from a seperate thread. Anyone not rated means they are not rated as 85 or more in game.

So that settles the ROG/sexton dabate. Rog is better but sexton starts xD

Oh and LOL at 1 and 7 default names xD

Just a heads up for anyone getting the rugby world cup game, hmv in dundrum are selling it for €43 and are giving a free world cup guide, seems decent on first flick through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone getting the rugby world cup game, hmv in dundrum are selling it for €43 and are giving a free world cup guide, seems decent on first flick through!

Just read a review of it on IGN, and it sounds terrible. They say it's basically the EA sports game from 4 years ago, stripped of some features, with a slight graphical update, and no licenses for half the teams so its full of random named players.

Oh yeah its gonna be terrible, but **** it its a rugby game. It will do till RC comes out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ktulu123 wrote: »

Is that for xbox or ps3 or both? :)

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Possible changes here

15. Ferris - Kearney - Fitzgerald
    14. Buckley (rating 88) - Bowe
    13. B. O'Connor (rating 94) - BOD
    12. Danaher - Darcy
    11. Elgoyhen - Earls
    10. Stowers - Sexton
    9. Ronan - Reddan
    8. Humphreys - Heaslip
    7. Waqaseduadua - Wallace
    6. O'Donohoe - SOB
    5. O'Gara - POC
    4. D. O'Connor - DOC
    3. Hagan - Hayes
    2. Bowe - Best
    1. Hirashima - Horan (i know i know these should be the props but i have a feeling they are the players they have been based on as it seems in general the Inatials match the real players)

on the bench (only one i have spotted on the official forums as listed on the bench.

21. 22. Rhys Keogh (rating 85) - O'Gara - Rob Kearney

odd that they would have put Fitz as starting FB. but the inatials match.

EDIT:
    Asked a guy with the game to do a lil checking on the munster squads youngsters for me, ones that mightnt be in game.

this is the results
    jovu55 wrote:
    Felix Jones - Yep, overall rating 56
    Danny Barnes - Yep, overall rating 59
    Connor Murray - Can't find him in the default Munster team
    Simon Zebo - Nope
    Ian Nagel - Can't find him in the default Munster team
    Mike Sherry - Can't find him in the default Munster team
    Peter o'Mahony - Yep, overall rating 57
    Tommy o'Donnell - Yep, overall rating 57
    Paddy Butler - Can't find him in the default Munster team

**I didn't see some in the Munster team but not too sure if they may be scattered elsewhere.

so only looking at having to create (or edit made up rookie that are in game) 5 players to really finish off munsters squad updates.
    Defo gonna have to get a connor murray made for the Irish squad aswell as the munster one :P

BDJW wrote: »
    Is that for xbox or ps3 or both? :)

I would say both but I got it on Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Picked up the WC game this morning in HMV, the free guide is a nice bonus. As expected it's Rugby 08 all over again, it's not bad, but it's not brilliant either. Player likeness is ok, Earls looks like he's been starved for 6 months for some reason.

I'll end up trading it in against RC when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 leon.healy

Picked up the WC game this morning in HMV, the free guide is a nice bonus. As expected it's Rugby 08 all over again, it's not bad, but it's not brilliant either. Player likeness is ok, Earls looks like he's been starved for 6 months for some reason.

I'll end up trading it in against RC when it comes out.

Bought Mine there while on lunch break. Can't wait to test it out. I had to buy it....we're not as lucky as the soccer fans. We barely ever get new rugby games.

I will also buy the challenge game.

Does anyone know of any games I am missing?

I have....

Jonah Lomu Rugby PC
    EA sport Rugby PS2
    Rugby 06 PS2
    Rugby 08 PC
    Rugby world cup 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Will the RC thats available in NZ now, be different to the RC we will get? I have family in NZ and am trying to decide whether to wait for it to come out here, or get a copy sent over

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Will the RC thats available in NZ now, be different to the RC we will get? I have family in NZ and am trying to decide whether to wait for it to come out here, or get a copy sent over

Same thing with slightly different packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Played Rugby World Cup last night and was seriously disappointed. here's what I took from it after a few games

1. Graphics are muck, every player looks the same when you're in normal gameplay, impossible to tell if you're giving the ball to Jamie Heaslip or Mike Ross off the edge of a ruck.

2. Player likenesses for Ireland at least are atrocious. Sean O'Brien looks like a skinny schools player and has a really long neck, sexton looks nothing like himself, Darcy is just a generic brown haired average height bloke, even think Paulie might have brown hair in it.

3. Squads are way off too. No Flannery or Boss in the extended World Cup squad, I can understand not having Murray or Ryan as the squad was only named in the last week but those other guys should be in it.

4. Ferris is black, no idea how that was allowed happen. In a soccer game you might excuse that mistake for a team of Ireland's calibre but in rugby we're top 5 or 6 in the world, you couldn't imagine FIFA having Nicolas Anelka running around as a short white dude. Big c**k up and points to their lack of real effort here.

5. It's the same game as Rugby 08 only worse. Less teams, no customisation.

6. There doesn't seem to have been much effort to make the player stats accurate. O'Brien didn't break a single tackle and even got dumped by Ben Foden at one point. Rory Best flies around the place like an NFL running back.

7. On the version I played at least, when you play friendlies you can't wear the official jerseys just these awful looking versions that look like the kind of thing you'd pick up in Carrols.

8. The backs seem to line up in a very odd way, in a 10 minute game I played I only got the ball to outside centre once, most of the time the 10 gets the ball to inside centre then the next man out is the openside winger. When I finally got the ball to Drico, Miles Harrison shouts out "Excellent running from Mick O'Driscoll", what???

9. Overall this is a shoddy game. I'll hang on to it until RC comes out then either offload it to one of my younger cousins who won't notice how pants the whole thing is or trade it in.

Really disappointed in this game as a whole. Feel like almost every element of the game, graphics, gameplay, customisation, depth, was better in Rugby 08.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Rugby Challenge Munster team and there ratings thanks to madhatter 9 on the official RC forum.

1 Buckley 70
    2 Flannery 63
    3 Hayes 62
    4 O'Callaghan 75
    5 O'Connell 80
    6 Ronan 66
    7 Wallace 84
    8 Leamy 78
    9 O'Leary 80
    10 O'Gara 77
    11 Earls 84
    12 Tuitupou 76
    13 Mafi 65
    14 Howlett 78
    15 Jones 56
    16 Murphy 68
    17 Varley 58
    18 Horan 64
    19 O'Driscoll 65
    20 Quinlan 78
    21 Stringer 73
    22 Warwick61
    23 Dowling 65
    24 Archer 45
    25 Barnes 59
    26 Coughlan 58
    27 Deasy57 (deasy better then felix jones :D this team will need a lil work xD)
    28 Gleeson 61
    29 Holland 61
    30 D. Hurley 59 dennis i assume
    31. D.Hurley 43 ??? darragh i assume
    32. O'Donnell 57
    33. O'Mahony57
    34. D. Ryan 63 Donnacha i assume
    35. D Ryan42 ??? Twoo D.Ryans ?? Dave i assue
    36. Williams 52
    37. Du Preez 51

Rugby Challenge Munster team and there ratings thanks to madhatter 9 on the official RC forum.

1 Buckley 70
    2 Flannery 63
    3 Hayes 62
    4 O'Callaghan 75
    5 O'Connell 80
    6 Ronan 66
    7 Wallace 84
    8 Leamy 78
    9 O'Leary 80
    10 O'Gara 77
    11 Earls 84
    12 Tuitupou 76
    13 Mafi 65
    14 Howlett 78
    15 Jones 56
    16 Murphy 68
    17 Varley 58
    18 Horan 64
    19 O'Driscoll 65
    20 Quinlan 78
    21 Stringer 73
    22 Warwick61
    23 Dowling 65
    24 Archer 45
    25 Barnes 59
    26 Coughlan 58
    27 Deasy57 (deasy better then felix jones :D this team will need a lil work xD)
    28 Gleeson 61
    29 Holland 61
    30 D. Hurley 59 dennis i assume
    31. D.Hurley 43 ??? darragh i assume
    32. O'Donnell 57
    33. O'Mahony57
    34. D. Ryan 63 Donnacha i assume
    35. D Ryan42 ??? Twoo D.Ryans ?? Dave i assue
    36. Williams 52
    37. Du Preez 51

OUTRAGEOUS!!

Dave Ryan in there?! Du Preez only 51?! FURIOUS GEORGE!

leon.healy wrote: »
    OUTRAGEOUS!!

Dave Ryan in there?! Du Preez only 51?! FURIOUS GEORGE!

Why wouldnt Dave Ryan be in there? what props would be ahead of him that arnt already featured?

and There is a reacurring theme in all the teams of props getting low ratings. but that is down to the formula that they use to calculate things from the players stats (which are fully customizable)

The team will need tweaking to get it more acurate. im prepared to put a lil time into that. not too much though :p
    Poor saffers

Why wouldnt Dave Ryan be in there? what props would be ahead of him that arnt already featured?

and There is a reacurring theme in all the teams of props getting low ratings. but that is down to the formula that they use to calculate things from the players stats (which are fully customizable)

Ah you're dead right. What I am most irate about is the poor ability ratings.

Also since this game is not even released yet surely they coyuld have added botha/keatley left out quinny warwick mushy ryan etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

How come all the NZers are entering the ruck through the gate and on their feet and none are over-running the ruck taking out defenders illegally???

Thet's puss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Those ratings seem pretty fair apart from some of the young players who are fairly unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

While the commentary seems a bit iffy, it really does look like a great game, I hope it gets monster sales so they'll continue with the franchise.

leon.healy wrote: »
    Ah you're dead right. What I am most irate about is the poor ability ratings.

Also since this game is not even released yet surely they coyuld have added botha/keatley left out quinny warwick mushy ryan etc

all squads are based on last season because they had to create the players and have them oked by all the licence parties involved and stuff. all teams rosters can be edited from a core though so a lil bit of time and a sheet of transfers (theres one knocking around here thats from TRF i think) and it will be up to date. can just concentrate on updating the teams you will play as/against.

Also on the ratings - they have a formula that calculates the overall rating based on the stats (speed, accrelation, strgenth etc)
    Props often arnt the best players in the loose with certain exceptions.
    So good scrummagers but weak feild props will have reduced ratings. but they might still win scrums and such.

also explains how buckley is rated 6 points better then bull. because his ball carring is decent and his passing is very much above average for a prop. that boosts his overall rating.

Edit:
    Agreed on the youngsters needing a stat boost but that is completly understandable considering they are only breaking through now. Ill probly give them a lil boost if i feel they are better then their rating (felix jones for example) and then wack them into my munster starting team :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

shoutman wrote: »
    While the commentary seems a bit iffy, it really does look like a great game, I hope it gets monster sales so they'll continue with the franchise.

I like the bit in the replay when one of the NZ players is celebrating and walks right through the 2 lads on the ground :D

To be fair, it does look pretty good, but it's bound to have some bugs/quirks. Hopefully not so many that it detracts from the game

Advertisement