Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

According to rip.ie (an invaluable resource) no one died in Clonmel in the last week that would fit the poster's description.

cml387 wrote: »
    According to rip.ie (an invaluable resource) no one died in Clonmel in the last week that would fit the poster's description.

A lady died in the area the poster mentioned [Tipp FM death notices]..I am only posting that information,and not reading anything else into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

A lady died in the area the poster mentioned [Tipp FM death notices]..I am only posting that information,and not reading anything else into it.
    "Died peacefully in hospital" Doesn't sound like the circumstances described in the post, but maybe Tipp FM are describing a different woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Died of a sudden death. No foul play suspected. I suggest we drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

On another note can any1 help me on this 1...my son is going to high school,as regards buying the books is there any help school can give regarding cost..(yes his mother gets social grant but i m the 1 who pays she just keeps it)any help please as i m pretty crap with this stuff.(i m out of work by the way)Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

As far as I remember there was a book rental scheme there a few years back for people with medical cards. Might be worth a call to find out. I do know they recently had a fundraiser a few weeks back for a book rental scheme for everyone.

Best bet is to call the office and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

As far as I remember there was a book rental scheme there a few years back for people with medical cards. Might be worth a call to find out. I do know they recently had a fundraiser a few weeks back for a book rental scheme for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

The book rental scheme that they fund raised for is only for fifth years in September. It will eventually be rolled out for the whole school. However I think there is help available for people in difficult financial circumstances.

Thanks for that,i have been ringing office and called in a few times,i think must be off due to exams/holidays etc.

thanks for that i ll keep trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MrAnderson101

Any jobs going lads?...broke student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Do you know what might help? Actually giving some information on what kind of job you are looking for or what your skills are. Seriously. Did you expect that someone would go "yeah, sure, you can start Monday?"

You could look in the free paper for ads also. That might be a place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Was in KFC for a mini fillet today... they have a sign up looking for staff at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Do you know what might help? Actually giving some information on what kind of job you are looking for or what your skills are. Seriously. Did you expect that someone would go "yeah, sure, you can start Monday?"

You could look in the free paper for ads also. That might be a place to start.

Jaysus lighten up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Jaysus lighten up :-)

No, not really. I know this forum might be akin to chatting in a cafe or something but if I were looking for a job of any description I would err on the side of caution and ask about a job in a way that wouldn't show me up if a potential employer were to see my post.

So yeah, probably a bit less "any jobs going?" and a bit more,"Hi, 18 year old guy looking for part-time work. I am happy to consider all types of work. As I'm a student I haven't got a lot of work experience but I am hardworking and dependable." This or similar (I obviously invented the above) is a better approach in my opinion.

I hope the OP does find something and I hope all decent adults will take the opportunity to guide or advise a young person when they can. I understand so much of today's communication is becoming more and more casual but sometimes there is a time and a place and we might not realise unless someone points it out to us.

On a slight aside, the incident of that young fellow a month or so ago at that cycling race in Dublin. The vague details as I recall are that his cycling hero or someone important fell off their bike in the race. The young fan jumps out to take a selfie style pic of himself crouched down with the fallen cyclist. For me, this is pretty inappropriate, and I believe the youngster realised and apologised after.

Is there a law or rule about not doing it? Maybe about jumping the barrier as I presume that's what he had to do, but so many people have no measure for "appropriateness". It is subjective to a large degree but a little awareness doesn't hurt.

No, not really. I know this forum might be akin to chatting in a cafe or something but if I were looking for a job of any description I would err on the side of caution and ask about a job in a way that wouldn't show me up if a potential employer were to see my post.

So yeah, probably a bit less "any jobs going?" and a bit more,"Hi, 18 year old guy looking for part-time work. I am happy to consider all types of work. As I'm a student I haven't got a lot of work experience but I am hardworking and dependable." This or similar (I obviously invented the above) is a better approach in my opinion.

I hope the OP does find something and I hope all decent adults will take the opportunity to guide or advise a young person when they can. I understand so much of today's communication is becoming more and more casual but sometimes there is a time and a place and we might not realise unless someone points it out to us.

On a slight aside, the incident of that young fellow a month or so ago at that cycling race in Dublin. The vague details as I recall are that his cycling hero or someone important fell off their bike in the race. The young fan jumps out to take a selfie style pic of himself crouched down with the fallen cyclist. For me, this is pretty inappropriate, and I believe the youngster realised and apologised after.

Is there a law or rule about not doing it? Maybe about jumping the barrier as I presume that's what he had to do, but so many people have no measure for "appropriateness". It is subjective to a large degree but a little awareness doesn't hurt.

I'd doubt the op came in here for a lecture but however each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭bobster453

I'd doubt the op came in here for a lecture but however each to their own.
    Well if the op didnt they should have.Everything the previous poster stated is correct.IFirst impression is a lasting impression..good job on the cv cover note too.
    And yes i am an employer and do know what i am talking about before anyone asks

bobster453 wrote: »
    Well if the op didnt they should have.Everything the previous poster stated is correct.IFirst impression is a lasting impression..good job on the cv cover note too.
    And yes i am an employer and do know what i am talking about before anyone asks

So now we can tell that the op's cv cover note needs attention all from one post he made here. Climb down off the high horses lads.

But dd, I too am an employer, and I see CVs, cover letters, requests for work, all the time. And nothing will make me discount someone quicker than a lack of professionalism.

"Any jobs going lads?...broke student"

Firstly, I am not a lad, not that this matters, but if he/she is hoping that someone on here might have some work of some description (anyone's guess the person can do/can't do), then this casual approach isn't helping. Secondly that says to me, I'm a broke student, I need some money - don't we all, but what are you willing to do to get said money?? Obviously, from that post, not a lot - ergo, from this first impression, not a lot work-wise either.

My sister has a shop, and the amount of students (mainly school age to be fair, but still, they are learning this from somewhere), that stick their head in the door and go "any jobs going?" is unreal!!! And these people expect my sister to employ them!

I still gave a small bit of advice to look at the free paper for job vacancies, which is more effort than the original poster made.

But dd, I too am an employer, and I see CVs, cover letters, requests for work, all the time. And nothing will make me discount someone quicker than a lack of professionalism.

Firstly, I am not a lad, not that this matters, but if he/she is hoping that someone on here might have some work of some description (anyone's guess the person can do/can't do), then this casual approach isn't helping. Secondly that says to me, I'm a broke student, I need some money - don't we all, but what are you willing to do to get said money?? Obviously, from that post, not a lot - ergo, from this first impression, not a lot work-wise either.

My sister has a shop, and the amount of students (mainly school age to be fair, but still, they are learning this from somewhere), that stick their head in the door and go "any jobs going?" is unreal!!! And these people expect my sister to employ them!

I still gave a small bit of advice to look at the free paper for job vacancies, which is more effort than the original poster made.

My view of that post was a student wanting to know if anyone had heard of anyone hiring, eg Abbot, MacDonalds, etc. It was an informal request for info, not a formal application for a job.

• Advertisement

Still can't believe all the labels that are been stuck on the op from one post on here. Does anyone remember looking for their first job and how that felt.

Yes, I remember it vividly. I called into a shop and asked to see the manager and then asked if there were any summer jobs available. I didn't have a CV - didn't know what one was, but I outlined that I was used to helping out in my parent's shop and that I was a good worker and willing to learn. Got the job.

There are generally more people than jobs, especially in straightened times, so any advantage that one person can show over another will help them to be considered in favour of someone else. And I think that people who replied have given the OP some good advice actually: try the free paper, KFC have some vacancies, try giving a little more detail on who you are and what you can do/what you want to do, try to create a good first impression. All sound advice, which hopefully will help this broke student to get a job and set him/her on their way.

Yes, I remember it vividly. I called into a shop and asked to see the manager and then asked if there were any summer jobs available. I didn't have a CV - didn't know what one was, but I outlined that I was used to helping out in my parent's shop and that I was a good worker and willing to learn. Got the job.

There are generally more people than jobs, especially in straightened times, so any advantage that one person can show over another will help them to be considered in favour of someone else. And I think that people who replied have given the OP some good advice actually: try the free paper, KFC have some vacancies, try giving a little more detail on who you are and what you can do/what you want to do, try to create a good first impression. All sound advice, which hopefully will help this broke student to get a job and set him/her on their way.

Good for you but maybe the op's parents doesn't have a business for him to get experience in. It's tough for student to get a part time job these days unless they know someone. I too wish the op the best of luck in his search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Lucky you that your parents had a shop,I hope it stays fine for you lad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Christ lads lighten up, they were were only asking for any news of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Anyone know of a beautician in Clonmel that opens late on a Friday? Other than water lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Fiona O'Mara is open til 8 I think. They are very good in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

pooch90 wrote: »
    Fiona O'Mara is open til 8 I think. They are very good in there.

Thanks so much. Just checked their fb page, and that are. Will give them a buzz in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Has anybody ever used the zip yard on O'Connell street for alterations? I need a dress altered in the next few days and I'm looking for reviews or recommendations for anyone in Clonmel that would be able to help me with a dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Wellyd wrote: »
    Has anybody ever used the zip yard on O'Connell street for alterations? I need a dress altered in the next few days and I'm looking for reviews or recommendations for anyone in Clonmel that would be able to help me with a dress.
    We got a couple of things done in there,very good I have to say.

Advertisement