Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

uggybear wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the bridge bar like as a pub?

I assume you mean the bridge bar on the way from the centre of clonmel to the old bridge ?

If you do, this bar is closed for a number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Vizzy wrote: »
    I assume you mean the bridge bar on the way from the centre of clonmel to the old bridge ?

If you do, this bar is closed for a number of years.

Didn't know that, thanks for letting me know! You'd think that kind of info would be up on the web, which is why I come on here to see what's happening in Clonmel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There's a facebook page called, "Things you miss in Clonmel" and it's after exploding in memebers over the past week, over 2 weeks ago there was only 236 memebers now there are over 1,200 members.

Some funny stories on it and good memories too. Amazing thinking to Clonmel the way it used to be and remembering the old pubs, remember The Jagged Edge and The Vault!

Loughc wrote: »
    There's a facebook page called, "Things you miss in Clonmel" and it's after exploding in memebers over the past week, over 2 weeks ago there was only 236 memebers now there are over 1,200 members.

Some funny stories on it and good memories too. Amazing thinking to Clonmel the way it used to be and remembering the old pubs, remember The Jagged Edge and The Vault!

Think the idea of setting up a group like that is great alternative for people who don't want to or feel strange having to send an actual "friend request" to clonmel stories which should've been set up as a fb page in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Possibly people gutting it to get it ready for its new owners.

Actually I just checked the Facebook page. Friday was the last night it was opening. They just had their official closing down party last Saturday as more people could attend. It's definitely closed now.

It's open for another week apparently.Passed down last night and the barman said they were told to keep it open till next weekend but that it has been sold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

maryfred wrote: »
    It's open for another week apparently.Passed down last night and the barman said they were told to keep it open till next weekend but that it has been sold.

They're prob keeping it going until most of the stock is sold and until the new owners are in a position to fully take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

They're prob keeping it going until most of the stock is sold and until the new owners are in a position to fully take over.

The barman we were talking to said that he was told it was going to be used as some type of medical facility but he didn't know if that meant a doctors practice, physio centre etc. The outside of it will remain the same which is the most important thing, it's one of the nicest facades in Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

does anyone have any insight on how to go about getting council to install crash barriers ?am i looking at a long drawn out affair?the problem outside my house is steadly getting worse over the last year ,this weekend had two crashes in two days both drove away.any info as to best approach.before i contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

whitelight wrote: »
    does anyone have any insight on how to go about getting council to install crash barriers ?am i looking at a long drawn out affair?the problem outside my house is steadly getting worse over the last year ,this weekend had two crashes in two days both drove away.any info as to best approach.before i contact them.

Whether or not they will install crash barriers will depend on a good number of factors so you are best to contact the Senior Engineer in the Clonmel/Cahir Municipal District who are based in the Civic Buildings, Emmett Street, Clonmel.
    I presume that you have informed the Gardaí about the accidents and have taken photos .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

thanks for that info,will be my first port of call.they happened at night got no reg numbers so didnt call gardai,took photos next morning of tyre marks and so forth.living approx 4 miles outside clonmel have not had much statifaction with gardai responding to previous insidents...i know it should't stop me calling but if no one is hurt they dont seem interisted ,but its only a matter of time.huge increase of 'boy racers' out this way.complaints of this danger and noises rarely get patrol sent out.usually get the 'we have only so many cars on tonight' excuse.anyway will defo call to emmett street and get the ball rolling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I remember the Post House as a book shop, think there was still a post office counter there, I first came to Clonmel in 1995. I think it was messy enough, books on the floor ... Maybe it was changing use at the time.
    There was a gorgeous teeny coffee shop near it, I think it was the Mary Rose, or something with Rose, Red Rose café maybe, with a lovely lady who served the best ever Irish breakfasts.
    Never been in the pub !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

whitelight wrote: »
    thanks for that info,will be my first port of call.they happened at night got no reg numbers so didnt call gardai,took photos next morning of tyre marks and so forth.living approx 4 miles outside clonmel have not had much statifaction with gardai responding to previous insidents...i know it should't stop me calling but if no one is hurt they dont seem interisted ,but its only a matter of time.huge increase of 'boy racers' out this way.complaints of this danger and noises rarely get patrol sent out.usually get the 'we have only so many cars on tonight' excuse.anyway will defo call to emmett street and get the ball rolling!

Funny you should say that, but I've noticed,out cycling recently, a large amount of tyre tracks indicating doughnuts being executed by boyracers.
    The most alarming of these was up by the old slate factory near Glenpatrick where the tyre tracks wandered back and forth across a solid white line coming up to the bends opposite the picnic site.
    Now bad enough if they kill themselves and whoever is stupid enough to be in the car with them, but an inncocent driver could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bargain hunt

just wondering if anyone knows where i can get beef hearts . straight from the factory or something because it seems butchers always have a low supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Think the idea of setting up a group like that is great alternative for people who don't want to or feel strange having to send an actual "friend request" to clonmel stories which should've been set up as a fb page in the first place!
    where is facebook things you miss in clonmel. search leads back here

GoodLord wrote: »
    where is facebook things you miss in clonmel. search leads back here

here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/606266852746951/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

will pass on thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Saw Pictures on Facebook of a Turkish barbers after opening in town looks like it's on the narrow street, is that four hairdressers now on that street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Saw Pictures on Facebook of a Turkish barbers after opening in town looks like it's on the narrow street, is that four hairdressers now on that street?

Well if they are anything like the new Turkish (or at least I'm told he is turkish) lad in Walsh's? the original barber on the Narrow street, they wont be around for long. He doesnt seem to have a word of English. Just grunts or jestures and everyone, no matter what they ask for, comes away with the same Number 4 all around he has himself and clearly likes. He even takes some sort of a mini flame thrower to the back of your neck to burn off the hair rather than spend the time to shave it off. No way in hell I'm going into a shop full of those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

See the things missed around clonmel thread has been taken down from fb...shame that a few comments then got completely out of hand and link gone

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    See the things missed around clonmel thread has been taken down from fb...shame that a few comments then got completely out of hand and link gone

A new FB page called all things Clonmel was created tonight to replace the old page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What sort of comments JK?

What sort of comments JK?

Thanks loughc ref the new link? Glad that a new one has been started up.

Clonmel 1000 the original comments were about a well known celebrity from the town. Things then got out of hand...

Does anyone on here know if Carey's pub have a Setanta sports subscription?

Does anyone on here know if Carey's pub have a Setanta sports subscription?

Yep

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Yep

Thanks for replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭BloodThirsty

Does anyone know what photographers would have been in Clonmel in late sixties? Maybe Emmet street or Market street?

Does anyone know what photographers would have been in Clonmel in late sixties? Maybe Emmet street or Market street?

Boland? That name seems familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Willie Boland, Market Street. He has still has lots of family in town.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

My father was into photography back in the sixties and he was friendly with a pro in Clonmel at the time. I believe the name was Keating. hth

Advertisement