Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Any one hear that the polish/morans pub in Irishtown is opening again soon.It was said to me yesterday,lets hope it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Heard the same myself last night but that it had been open a couple of days already? Must have a wander down there later in the week - Butlers from Carrick have taken it over

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

It was open the weekend anyway when I drove past. Different name on it now. Sad to hear abbot are letting 150 workers go before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yeah being run by the Butlers, the deli across the road is reopening too in the near future as is the Mayfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

THe Abbot workers were on temporary contracts and there was never really any possibility that they'd be kept on. They've known for months their contracts weren't being extended. Still sad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Not entirely true Meathlass, up to the last renewal they were told it looked quite positive. Some of them were reliably informed about the contracts ending a fortnight ago.

I was down in the showgrounds shopping centre yesterday.The big shoe shop that was there is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

any one know the story with the cafe in railway station closed down again, he didnt last long the fellow that had it?
    surely cie wouldnt allow someone in and out that fast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

DT100 wrote: »
    I was down in the showgrounds shopping centre yesterday.The big shoe shop that was there is now closed.
    I bought a pair of shoes there a few weeks ago in a sale,didn't think they were going to close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Royco wrote: »
    surely cie wouldnt allow someone in and out that fast

What do you mean?

If they weren't making money how could they be expected to stay?

• Advertisement

Its a while since I ventured out in Clonmel on a Saturday night,it was like a ghost town..no one in Devannes,Butlers,posthouse,morans in Parnell street was empty as well.Careys in Irishtown had a decent enough crowd.I thought I was maybe missing something on Saturday nights.I visited all these places just to contribute something to the thread,and not because I wanted a pub crawl:D Ok,maybe the last line was a lie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

tippspur wrote: »
    I bought a pair of shoes there a few weeks ago in a sale,didn't think they were going to close up.
    They seemed to have a sale on any time i was in clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Was surprised to see Paul Byrons close down - however a mate of mine went for an interview there for the manager job and she was advised at the time that if successful then would be employed on a 16 week trial period at more or less minimum......their shops seem to be busy up in Mayo and Roscommon though?(they are based in Roscommon town)

DT100 - nearly all the pubs in Clonmel are quiet enough on a Saturday night aside from 3 or 4 with a regular local crowd(Eldons/Phil Carrolls etc)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

did you see our famous car dealer on the front line,i wonder did he get his shoes in Paul Byrons before it closed down.For a lad that can only afford Shepard''s Pie he's well shod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Its a while since I ventured out in Clonmel on a Saturday night,it was like a ghost town..no one in Devannes,Butlers,posthouse,morans in Parnell street was empty as well.Careys in Irishtown had a decent enough crowd.I thought I was maybe missing something on Saturday nights.I visited all these places just to contribute something to the thread,and not because I wanted a pub crawl:D Ok,maybe the last line was a lie:D
    And now Diagio are putting up the price of all their beers,that's really going get more people out into the pubs isn't it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

snipey wrote: »
    did you see our famous car dealer on the front line,i wonder did he get his shoes in Paul Byrons before it closed down.For a lad that can only afford Shepard''s Pie he's well shod.

Pissin myself here:D
    And look at our local TD making a fool of himself now.

I'd say they car pooled,in the Jag.

Cerbera wrote: »
    What do you mean?

If they weren't making money how could they be expected to stay?

Well by that I mean if they let you in on a lease how can you just walk away, I fully understand that if your not making money you can't proceed but its just a friend of mine looked into that a while back before present guy and cie wanted a lease for 4 yrs and 9 mths, what good is going through with expense of solicitors for a lease if it can be broken like that, ok my main argument here was that I'M a frequent traveller on buses and trains and Clonmel AGAIN has no cafe or toilet services which in this day and age is a complete joke

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

tippspur wrote: »
    And now Diagio are putting up the price of all their beers,that's really going get more people out into the pubs isn't it.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately in order for companies like Diageo to continue to employ hundreds of people they need to increase revenue by increase in price as sales levels have dropped dramatically. I think I'd rather see a small increase in price of drink rather than a few 100 people out of work just before Christmas.

But don't get me wrong you are right in what you are saying, it won't help get people to the pubs to buy their drink but it seems to be a vicious circle. No matter what we look at things we need to accept the pub trade is a dying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Supposedly NAMA are the holdup their, as they want to move to the unit beside them and they are delaying signoff. That is what a member of staff told me only last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I don't know if I should be posting this elsewhere so do let me know if I am. It's quite important so I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm considering the purchase of a cottage on Davis Row in Davis Street and am about to put a deposit down. It's in front of Barlo Motors. My solicitor however has made me aware of the flooding issues in Clonmel which I was totally unaware of. Would anyone know if this part of Davis Road has been the prone to flooding in the past? I notice from the map that it's only 300m from the River Suir. Thank you.

if your interested i have a 12 ft rib for sale, 30 hp engine on the back,

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Gravale wrote: »
    I don't know if I should be posting this elsewhere so do let me know if I am. It's quite important so I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm considering the purchase of a cottage on Davis Row in Davis Street and am about to put a deposit down. It's in front of Barlo Motors. My solicitor however has made me aware of the flooding issues in Clonmel which I was totally unaware of. Would anyone know if this part of Davis Road has been the prone to flooding in the past? I notice from the map that it's only 300m from the River Suir. Thank you.

The area directly across barlo motors does not flood. The last major flood flooded the davis road from just outside Mordaunts to just past the Shell Garage (that is not closed and never opened since the last flood). You should be fine.

Call into the town corporation in parnell street (not County council) and ask to see the flood maps for the area, I believe it costs nothing, and that should confirm what I am saying.

I should also note that their is new flood relief scheme just completed that has not really been tested, that is suppose to eliminate this flooding issue anyway.

Thanks, Andrew. Much appreciated.

the houses you refer to don't flood but some parts of davis rd do so therefor with davis road as your address you'll find it hard to insure for flooding as well as your insurance will be a bit higher than other areas of town just something to be aware of

Thanks, Royco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

The area directly across barlo motors does not flood. The last major flood flooded the davis road from just outside Mordaunts to just past the Shell Garage (that is not closed and never opened since the last flood). You should be fine.

Call into the town corporation in parnell street (not County council) and ask to see the flood maps for the area, I believe it costs nothing, and that should confirm what I am saying.

I should also note that their is new flood relief scheme just completed that has not really been tested, that is suppose to eliminate this flooding issue anyway.

It won't eliminate the flooding issue. It will just make areas that were previously prone to flooding (Old Bridge, Quays, etc) safer. But the water still has to go somewhere. The next big flood will be interesting to see where the water moves to. The fact that work was done on both sides of the river may mean Clonmel becomes a bottleneck with the water backing up towards Ardfinnan (where they have also done some flood relief work) or it may just push through what are now in effect raised banks through the town and then flood on the other side.

If I were you I would examine the flood relief maps and the old flood zones. What was done on the Clonmel side of the river down by Davis Road? It's hard to tell because buildings block the view of the river down there. But on the other side of the river (Waterford county side) the new raised banks seem extend all the way down to roughly level with Bulmers. If similar work has been done on the Clonmel side you should be fine on the Davis Road. If not I would be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

touts wrote: »
    It won't eliminate the flooding issue. It will just make areas that were previously prone to flooding (Old Bridge, Quays, etc) safer. But the water still has to go somewhere. The next big flood will be interesting to see where the water moves to. The fact that work was done on both sides of the river may mean Clonmel becomes a bottleneck with the water backing up towards Ardfinnan (where they have also done some flood relief work) or it may just push through what are now in effect raised banks through the town and then flood on the other side.

If I were you I would examine the flood relief maps and the old flood zones. What was done on the Clonmel side of the river down by Davis Road? It's hard to tell because buildings block the view of the river down there. But on the other side of the river (Waterford county side) the new raised banks seem extend all the way down to roughly level with Bulmers. If similar work has been done on the Clonmel side you should be fine on the Davis Road. If not I would be cautious.

There are berms (or levees or whatever) on the Clonmel side behind Dunnes, Lidl etc. as well.

I agree about it being interesting to see where the water will go.

What's even more interesting is the fact that when I made enquiries with Hibernian Aviva about house insurance (I'm already a customer of theirs since 1986) they said 'No' as Davis Row is on their flood risk list - and no, not simply Davis Road, but Davis Row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

What's even more interesting is the fact that when I made enquiries with Hibernian Aviva about house insurance (I'm already a customer of theirs since 1986) they said 'No' as Davis Row is on their flood risk list - and no, not simply Davis Road, but Davis Row.

You'll find a lot of Clonmel is considered a flood risk. I live in Thomas Street and unable to obtain quotes from Quinn and Aviva generally look for a ridicules amount.

Advertisement