Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There was to be a new cinema built down in the show grounds shopping centre but with that place in receivership I don't think it's gonna happen.

Yea it was the showgrounds I heard that rumour too. I didn't know the place was in receivership! :eek: When was that announced? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Yea it was the showgrounds I heard that rumour too. I didn't know the place was in receivership! :eek: When was that announced? :eek:

Back in Jan this year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/receiver-appointed-to-properties-180687.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Did anyone hear about the bar in the centre of town that's gone into receivership as of yesterday. I wont name it but 99.9% certain its true. Management left in the place but the owners are gone and the bank are in. Its seem the town is not capable of supporting many businesses. :(

Did anyone hear about the bar in the centre of town that's gone into receivership as of yesterday. I wont name it but 99.9% certain its true. Management left in the place but the owners are gone and the bank are in. Its seem the town is not capable of supporting many businesses. :(

Yes I have heard the same story but until it's confirmed it's prib best not to name the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can someone pm me the name of the Bar?

obv I'd say nothing, but cousins have investment in Mr Bumbles, I assume that's not it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

can someone pm me the name of the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

that's a real shame:( Can someone pm me the name of the bar also

Lads I don't think anyone wants to be implicated in rumours especially to people who we have no idea who they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lads I don't think anyone wants to be implicated in rumours especially to people who we have no idea who they are.

Agreed. Typical human nature tho people love gossip ;)

Does any know what happened last night during the shellikibookie performance in clonmel?

They put up an apology on their Facebook page?

Agreed. Typical human nature tho people love gossip ;)

As I said 99.9% sure, heard it from as near to the horses mouth as it can come.

The issue isnt just the pub itself but how much the town is struggling. Probably many more failures to come :(

• Advertisement

Fair point to make it's quiet obvious the town is struggling, but then again what town isn't struggling these days.

[QUOTE=lockie1983;

Does any know what happened last night during the shellikibookie performance in clonmel?

They put up an apology on their Facebook page?[/QUOTE]

I believe one of the sky lights blew a bulb suddenly which I'm turn tripped the generators running the whole show. Unfortunately projector bulbs have a very specific start up procedure and you can't just turn them on hence the wait. Unfortunate time to happen but that's showbiz.

The organiser I believe got an awful lot of stick over the matter which disgusted me. All the effort and money that was put into this show by everyone involved was trojan. Countless hours were put into the event and the freeloading Facebook warriors have the cheek to slate the organisers. When the show got going it was excellent.

Fair play to all involved. You done your town proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I was at the Riverberating event and I had probably the best view in the house.Thought it was brilliant TBH.
    As darragh says,the amount of time and effort that went in to the show was huge(and remember that this group is completely voluntary).
    So what if a few things went wrong?
    Anyone that never made a mistake never made anything.!!
    Would you have preferred to be sitting at home watching the TV on a lovely saturday night?
    If anyone out there feels that they could have done better on a shoestring budget,then by all means contact Shellikibookie,I'm sure that they will welcome you with open arms!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I believe one of the sky lights blew a bulb suddenly which I'm turn tripped the generators running the whole show. Unfortunately projector bulbs have a very specific start up procedure and you can't just turn them on hence the wait. Unfortunate time to happen but that's showbiz.

The organiser I believe got an awful lot of stick over the matter which disgusted me. All the effort and money that was put into this show by everyone involved was trojan. Countless hours were put into the event and the freeloading Facebook warriors have the cheek to slate the organisers. When the show got going it was excellent.

Fair play to all involved. You done your town proud.

Internet warriors. I know a few people involved in the set up and they put a tremendous amount of work in. I hate to see anyone abused like that.

what's the new chemist called that's on Mary St, beside the medical center?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Where PC wizard was? think it's Mc Cormacks

tippspur wrote: »
    Where PC wizard was? think it's Mc Cormacks

yeah that's the one, thanks

Now that the lads at Ma Ryan's lease has finished and they haven't opted to renew it, does anyone know if it's being renewed by anyone else or is it going to become another idle pub in town?

Now that the lads at Ma Ryan's lease has finished and they haven't opted to renew it, does anyone know if it's being renewed by anyone else or is it going to become another idle pub in town?

Be a pity if it was left empty, great little place but it had a lot to do with the lad that was running it. Hope he takes on another pub in town if he decides to stay in the business

Be a pity if it was left empty, great little place but it had a lot to do with the lad that was running it. Hope he takes on another pub in town if he decides to stay in the business

Yea Paul was really sound and had a great set up in the bar! Really enjoyed popping in their for a pint on a night out.

Not sure what he is up to next, just saw he posted on the Tug Ui Ruain's Facebook page that they weren't renewing the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I find it sad to read Clonmel is struggling, when we are there it always appears to have a buzz about it, with real people, not like Kilkenny with coach fazed tourists wandering around looking at chinese made souveniers of Ireland.
    We live in kilkenny but always shop in Clonmel, parking is never a problem, we do not have to pay unless one wants town centre.
    Whilst I would only go to PC World, it would be nice to have a computer store, perhap PC World could come.
    With a little imagination, one might just get more people into the town, a decent street market, not the Farmers Market rip off's, but nevertheless food seller's, encourage local people, give the place an identity.
    People flock to Car boot sales, mostly toot, why not Clonmel Market day?
    Where is there an antiques market?
    There is nothing like clonmel.
    Don't sit and winge about this and that, work for Clonmel, if the council can't vote for someone else who will.

I find it sad to read Clonmel is struggling, when we are there it always appears to have a buzz about it, with real people, not like Kilkenny with coach fazed tourists wandering around looking at chinese made souveniers of Ireland.
    We live in kilkenny but always shop in Clonmel, parking is never a problem, we do not have to pay unless one wants town centre.
    Whilst I would only go to PC World, it would be nice to have a computer store, perhap PC World could come.
    With a little imagination, one might just get more people into the town, a decent street market, not the Farmers Market rip off's, but nevertheless food seller's, encourage local people, give the place an identity.
    Don't sit and winge about this and that, work for Clonmel, if the council can't vote for someone else who will.

There was a market setup recently in Clonmel but I haven't ears much about it in recent times so I'm not sure if it's still operational. The big market in the area seems to be in Cahir on a Sunday, there's also a car boot sale in Fethard on Sundays too.

As for pc world they're not the same shop they used to be. Nowadays I find them fiercely overpriced and not very well stocked. For that kinda business I go online but at the same time keep it to Irish companies, works out a lot cheaper and keeps it Irish.

Yea Paul was really sound and had a great set up in the bar! Really enjoyed popping in their for a pint on a night out.

Not sure what he is up to next, just saw he posted on the Tug Ui Ruain's Facebook page that they weren't renewing the lease.

Nice fella alright. Hopefully they open another place in town but it must be remembered that the pub business as lucrative as it seems is not the profit generator it was a few years back. The overheads are seriously high and with a lot of people drinking at home, when they do get thier local they drink a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am 100% behind you on this.
    Local produce being consumed locally is going to be a big thing in the next few years. Clonmel should get ahead of the game and have a huge market on say O'Connell St or even Mary's car park (start one day a month) of artisan producers of cheese, beers, and other locally produced foodstuffs etc as there is in many small towns across Europe weekly.
    Make it attractive to producers they will come - if they come shoppers will come.
    Local money spent locally is vital - not people buying stuff from multinationals who ship the profits home. ( I know I am starting to sound like a broken record )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I passed by MK sports tonight and saw a 'closing down sale' sign up.

tippspur wrote: »
    I passed by MK sports tonight and saw a 'closing down sale' sign up.

:eek: Now that is a surprise. They are there yonks so I cant imagine they have a mortgage on the place at this stage

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Does anyone know is Dealz opening in Clonmel? I heard a few months ago they were and they had picked a location.

will.i.am wrote: »
    Does anyone know is Dealz opening in Clonmel? I heard a few months ago they were and they had picked a location.

Rumour had it they were to go into the O Connell Mall and work did start there but stalled soon after and haven't seen any developments since. I get the feeling the other shop that opened in the old tesco building may have put a stop to their plans.

It'd be nice to see the mall open again. I remember going in thier when every unit was full. Even remember Uncle Mike having a computer games shop in there long before he ever for into the pet shop business and going for lunch in the cafe. At the moment it's starting to become a bit of an eyesore as is a lot of vacant premises in the town. I thought the Menarys store would have been filled by now especially seen as its only recently refurbished.

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

I thought that they were meant to be opening before last Christmas with Holland and Barrett. Dealz seem to be opening in loads of other locations except Clonmel,

• Advertisement

:eek: Now that is a surprise. They are there yonks so I cant imagine they have a mortgage on the place at this stage

Even still they have other over heads and if they are not making enough revenue to meet those overheads they will have to close down. Shame I bought all of my Tipp gear from there over the years, very sad to see another stable store in Clonmel closing.

Advertisement