Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

Have to say shocked to see the way the town is going (and i know its not just clonmel) but its our town and its sad to see. ma ryans & polish bar closed, post house in receivership,chapmans, mayfair & kamboat closed down and md's chipper up for lease on donedeal. also i see the cafe at railway staion has closed down again. when will someone wake up to the problem of vacant units in town. I agree with a previous post abot running a market day in clonmel centre not out in dudley mills actually on the streets on a sunday and not a car boot sale, which would bring out a lot of people each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

LFC1 wrote: »
    Have to say shocked to see the way the town is going (and i know its not just clonmel) but its our town and its sad to see. ma ryans & polish bar closed, post house in receivership,chapmans, mayfair & kamboat closed down and md's chipper up for lease on donedeal. also i see the cafe at railway staion has closed down again. when will someone wake up to the problem of vacant units in town. I agree with a previous post abot running a market day in clonmel centre not out in dudley mills actually on the streets on a sunday and not a car boot sale, which would bring out a lot of people each week.

:eek: Really? Didn't know that, shame was always a nice Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

That's terrible news:(

on a lighter note, chapmans are opening under new management soon as My Cafe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nomonlyadics

LFC1 wrote: »

I thought the Kamboat was only closed for a few months, it had a message on the door about being closed for some portion of summer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very sad state of affairs in town. Not sure what can be done to turn things around, it looks like things could only get worse before they get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

The idea of a market more out in the street or in a more central open space sounds good. Dudley's Mills is a bit of a stretch even if the is (is there still?) a bus service there. And also, it just keeps up the decentralisation theme.

I remember there used to be a kind of farmers' market at/beside St Peter and Paul's school (the one between Dunnes and the High School). Is that still going or what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Think the market is still going at peter and pauls.
    Surprised MDs up for lease, thought they would have been very busy, they got loads of cash off us anyway, lovely pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi, well it seems there have been no objections to a "Clonmel Market", the main concern the well being of the town, which is brilliant.
    I guess the way to go is get the town council involved, they have the ultimate say in such things.
    I have been to london street markets, Petticoat Lane, East St and Plant and Flower market, most of the time they were so crowded you could hardly move, not that we have the population of London.
    The other point is the cost of rents and rates, time to bring them down, no doubt a cry will go up we will have less money for services, in fact if all the shops were open they would get more.
    Keep parking costs down, take a look at the greed of Kilkenny Council, people come to Clonmel and Carlow instead.
    What about street concert's, bands playing, marching band competitions, how about the Clonmel Skittles championship, Tipperary has the World skittles champion, make something special.
    You have Bulmer's in Clonmel, how about an annual Cider tasting, and of course you have one of the prettiest towns, do i see many flowers, no.
    You have so much make it work for Clonmel.
    When i was a kid I lived in london and an aunt and uncle lived in a house, it had a name, yes "Clonmel" I thought that's a strange name for a house and never dreamed one day I would actually go there, and in my small way encourage the town to shake off the despair of recession.
    Come on Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I have just noticed my own short sightedness re: indoor and outdoor markets. It's all well and good me saying an outdoor market would be nice but a stall holder who has bad sales because of a couple of weeks of rain or bad weather isn't going to think much of the quaintness of it all.

Anyone putting a stall and produce together of trucking things around will really not be able to have hit and miss sales because of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

The big problem with street markets is the cost of insurance. It was suggested at one time that the traders of O'Connell & Gladstone streets move some of their wares onto the pavement one day a month, but there were objections on health and safety grounds. Obstruction of footpaths and that type of nonsense. Clonmel is dying on it's feet and isn't being helped by mealy mouthed locals, who want things kept as they always were. I have news for them - Things will never be as they once were.

• Advertisement

Yes the locals who will not see farther than their preverbial noses are a pain in the you know where, there was a move to get Kilkenny High st traffic free, the council managed to do a one way thing, which a child could see was wrong, so we understand.
    Now insurance, is it a racket? Insurance is blamed for all sorts of things, the cost etc thje truth is could it be done without such high cost, a blanket charge covering all the traders, it might be only third party cover, do we need any more like product liability, food outlets need it for dodgy food, do ice cream vans and burger vans at various gatherings have cover?
    Lets face it insurers are in this as deep as the people so come on, come up with an enterprising idea.
    Make Clonmel work

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

I thought the Kamboat was only closed for a few months, it had a message on the door about being closed for some portion of summer?

Glad you corrected that as kamboat was one of my favourites, so hopefully thats all it will be closed for strange one though.,
    on another note i have to say the borough council need to ease up on struggling businesses, they want extra rates off them with planning permission if they as much puts a sign or table and chairs outside their business always hounding them for money and then they cant even park outside their own shop for 1/2 an hour while they do work without putting a ticket on car with all the rates their paying. In my opinion clonmel borough council are very money orientated with no spirit back to community, unless they benefit they dont want to know about it. by the way the expenses list that the councillors received that came out last week is nothing short of disgusting.

in truth I should not comment on this but this is another case where council officials are digging in the trough to get as much as possible.
    You need a committe and some legal advice to get rid of jokers like that, they are all over the country, take take and more.
    The government stated it was going to change things, yes they have made them worse than ever, we seem to have more pigs than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

Hi, well it seems there have been no objections to a "Clonmel Market", the main concern the well being of the town, which is brilliant.
    I guess the way to go is get the town council involved, they have the ultimate say in such things.
    I have been to london street markets, Petticoat Lane, East St and Plant and Flower market, most of the time they were so crowded you could hardly move, not that we have the population of London.
    The other point is the cost of rents and rates, time to bring them down, no doubt a cry will go up we will have less money for services, in fact if all the shops were open they would get more.
    Keep parking costs down, take a look at the greed of Kilkenny Council, people come to Clonmel and Carlow instead.
    What about street concert's, bands playing, marching band competitions, how about the Clonmel Skittles championship, Tipperary has the World skittles champion, make something special.
    You have Bulmer's in Clonmel, how about an annual Cider tasting, and of course you have one of the prettiest towns, do i see many flowers, no.
    You have so much make it work for Clonmel.
    When i was a kid I lived in london and an aunt and uncle lived in a house, it had a name, yes "Clonmel" I thought that's a strange name for a house and never dreamed one day I would actually go there, and in my small way encourage the town to shake off the despair of recession.
    Come on Clonmel
    many from clonmel go to kilkenny too

One would wonder why?

One would wonder why?
    i wouldn't kilkenny is a great city

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

But what can they get in Kilkenny that the couldn't get in Clonmel? Clonmel has alot of "City" stores like "Argos", "River Island" and "Menarys"

One of the problems with thread's is that people tend to go off in a tangent, we are not interested in Kilkenny, it is Clonmel that is important, and what we or rather you can do to save the town.
    There is an opportunity for everyone to work together for a cause, Clonmel is a very wheelchair friendly place, make it a theme, but do something.
    Come on clonmel

Menarys are gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

pooch90 wrote: »
    Menarys are gone....
    Gone with a couple of months now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pooch90 wrote: »
    Menarys are gone....

In other news, the Titanic has sank after hitting an iceberg :(

callaway92 wrote: »
    update: man has walked on the moon, one small post for man.....

update: man has walked on the moon, one small post for man.....

One giant leap for OFF-TOPIC.

I believe the latest rumor for town is the one of the town's Bar is in receivership. Not sure of how true that rumor is.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    One giant leap for OFF-TOPIC.

I believe the latest rumor for town is the one of the town's Bar is in receivership. Not sure of how true that rumor is.
    wasn't that rumoured here last week and no one named the bar? Can you pm me the name of the bar

heard there is cctv in O'Connell street now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

wasn't that rumoured here last week and no one named the bar? Can you pm me the name of the bar

Is it not named in post no 872 above?

archtech wrote: »

it is indeed, I never noticed that myself!

archtech wrote: »
    did not notice, thanks

callaway92 wrote: »

I was replying to this, but cheers for all the smart ass replies
    lockie1983 wrote: »
    But what can they get in Kilkenny that the couldn't get in Clonmel? Clonmel has alot of "City" stores like "Argos", "River Island" and "Menarys"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Kilkenny isn't a city its a large urban centre like Clonmel Portlaoise Dundalk etc. Read the local government act 2002 lad.

Advertisement