Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Gravale wrote: »
    What's even more interesting is the fact that when I made enquiries with Hibernian Aviva about house insurance (I'm already a customer of theirs since 1986) they said 'No' as Davis Row is on their flood risk list - and no, not simply Davis Road, but Davis Row.
    alexmcred wrote: »
    You'll find a lot of Clonmel is considered a flood risk. I live in Thomas Street and unable to obtain quotes from Quinn and Aviva generally look for a ridicules amount.

You think that ye are bad,I have a friend that lives out beyond Abbott and he was told that he was living on a flood plain when he tried to insure the house.
    (and his name isn't even Noah)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I've just been looking at the Office of Public Works Flood Hazard website and it clearly shows Davis Street (and Davis Row) in the flood hazard area (click on the first link below).

I also saw photographs from 2000 which clearly show Davis Row with the flood waters half way up the gardens (click on the other links). One guy told me that they've put 4-foot walls along the river behind Barlo's so that should solve the problem. That remains to be seen!

Flood.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003260.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003261.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003262.jpg

Would anyone consider me wise to reconsider buying a cottage in Davis Row?

OPW Flood Hazard photos: http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/FloodPhotosAndVideos.aspx?Type=Photos&FloodId=3793

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Gravale wrote: »
    I've just been looking at the Office of Public Works Flood Hazard website and it clearly shows Davis Street (and Davis Row) in the flood hazard area (click on the first link below).

I also saw photographs from 2000 which clearly show Davis Row with the flood waters half way up the gardens (click on the other links). One guy told me that they've put 4-foot walls along the river behind Barlo's so that should solve the problem. That remains to be seen!

Flood.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003260.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003261.jpg

opm_ph_tg_0000003262.jpg

Would anyone consider me wise to reconsider buying a cottage in Davis Row?

OPW Flood Hazard photos: http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/FloodPhotosAndVideos.aspx?Type=Photos&FloodId=3793

T o be fair its a personal opinion for yourself to make, personally I wouldnt buy there. The photos you showed are back in late 80's early 90's as barlos were selling tractors, at that time the greyhound track used to flood badly as did dunnes stores but that has all changed now for that area its well built up ,ok it does now cause problems further down towards kilganey. I dont know the house your looking at but i know someone who used to live in davis row a while ago and they are damp houses anyway but as i said that was a long time ago probably treated by now. the problem getting insurance, the cost of the insurance if you do get it and the sleepless nights when its milling out of the heavens wouldnt make it a happy home for me you will always be on edge. only you can decide on weather its the right move for you but will prob see this on boards again in the future when you are trying to sell and someone else is worried about it.

Thanks, Royco, I appreciate your frankness.

I'll be doing further investigations regarding the flood defences and how far they go on the river, especially if they are on the river section behind Barlos. Towards that end I'll be dropping into the Town Hall in Parnell Street soon.

The photos are from the flooding in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Have a look at the flood maps in the draft development plan. They're the latest OPW maps . You'll find them on www.southtippcoco.ie . I'll post an exact link tomorrow when I'm at my PC

• Advertisement

Much obliged, Archtech.

See the Flood Defence plan here (page 86):

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/newplanninghome/en/media/10.EnvManagement.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Royco wrote: »
    T o be fair its a personal opinion for yourself to make, personally I wouldnt buy there. The photos you showed are back in late 80's early 90's as barlos were selling tractors, at that time the greyhound track used to flood badly as did dunnes stores but that has all changed now for that area its well built up ,ok it does now cause problems further down towards kilganey. I dont know the house your looking at but i know someone who used to live in davis row a while ago and they are damp houses anyway but as i said that was a long time ago probably treated by now. the problem getting insurance, the cost of the insurance if you do get it and the sleepless nights when its milling out of the heavens wouldnt make it a happy home for me you will always be on edge. only you can decide on weather its the right move for you but will prob see this on boards again in the future when you are trying to sell and someone else is worried about it.

Flood Defences went in at Kilganey, Poulboy etc (basically the last parts of the plan in the link above) last year and the old bridge is open so I presume the work is complete now. Impossible to know what the water will do now. Any house in an area listed on the South Tipp plan as having been protected (Marlfield, Convant Road, Old Bridge, Quays, Kilganey Poulboy etc etc) should be OK as the defences they put in seem to far exceed any flooding that has occurred. But if I was living in a low lying area ajoining any of these protected zones I'd be sweating any time heavy rain was forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

The flood defences will protect certain areas. But with all flood defences they will create NEW flood plains. It remains to be seen where these might be!

Mother Nature sometimes doesn't cooperate with our clever plans. :)

Refer to page 168 of the Draft Development Plan which indicates that the area in question in Flood Risk Zone A. While the property may not get flooded, insurance will look at the map and decide otherwise in terms of providing insurance cover. A financial institution may also be slow to provide a mortgage on a said property.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Archtech. I think that should be page 158 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Gravale
    Davis Road is a good area of town to live in; central yet close to the river walk and the park with all settled good areas around it.

If you feel you are getting a good deal on the house then do not get over stressed about the flooding issue. Their is unknowns about the flooding however we believe a lot of this is resolved plus if it historically never flooded then chances are you will be fine. Best to talk to old residents within the area.

I lived on the quay for years, the river right outside my door in the worst flooding I have seen the water was just outside my door it never entered my premises and I never had an insurance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I see they're working on Chrissie's pub this evening.

What does that mean?

that it is probably reopening,

It's due to open before Christmas from what I gather . Heard the restaurant is been removed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

archtech wrote: »
    It's due to open before Christmas from what I gather . Heard the restaurant is been removed

Shame, the steaks there were lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Their pub and off licence are due to open before Christmas.

The plan is that the restaurant will re-open early-to-mid 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

What's the bonfire situation in Clonmel tonight?? Is there any even aloud anymore due to what happened the guard a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone been to the reopened Mayfair yet ?
    What's it like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

What's the bonfire situation in Clonmel tonight?? Is there any even aloud anymore due to what happened the guard a few years back?

I'm sure there will be one in elm park, they usually have one. Unfortunately the days of bonfires seem to be over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I'm sure there will be one in elm park, they usually have one. Unfortunately the days of bonfires seem to be over :(

Well you can't have one in Clonmel anyway, they just attract the worst sort of scum. It's no harm that they have been done away with imo, with the crowd they attract decent people couldn't go enjoy them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I t was started but nipped in the bud very very early and nothing happening now,glad they are done with these days,troublesome things

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

RobAMerc wrote: »
    What's it like ?

Not great in my opinion - now known as the Verona and just tried it there.......

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    What's it like ?

my opinion of it is lovely
    i really like their chips and very clean in there, was introduced to the owner and shes seems a very nice person, i wish her the best of luck too many people to quick to put new businesses down theres always teething problem in every business, think they will be fine there its a very good location

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well you can't have one in Clonmel anyway, they just attract the worst sort of scum. It's no harm that they have been done away with imo, with the crowd they attract decent people couldn't go enjoy them anyway.
    Agree,they're nothing but trouble wherever they take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Opinions on the "improvements" to the roundabout near the petrol station as you head up for the Cahir road ???

I think they are fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It looks like they are finding anything they can to spend money on.

The measures on the Haywood Hill from the By-Pass is going to cause more congestion in that area and thus block up the By-Pass even further.

alexmcred wrote: »
    It looks like they are finding anything they can to spend money on.

The measures on the Haywood Hill from the By-Pass is going to cause more congestion in that area and thus block up the By-Pass even further.
    they just made a complete balls of it,all the money they spent on it they could of put a roundabout there and made it safer,all the cars coming from Abbott still turn right at the end of the hill and by the way i saw the cops turning right there numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Cerbera wrote: »
    Opinions on the "improvements" to the roundabout near the petrol station as you head up for the Cahir road ???

I think they are fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.

I know their was one death on that road in the past 5 years, a tragic motorcyclist died however the road has generally been fine so I am in agreement with you on that..

Advertisement