Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

chris2008x wrote: »
    Kilkenny isn't a city its a large urban centre like Clonmel Portlaoise Dundalk etc. Read the local government act 2002 lad.

Would this be the 2001 Act by any chance ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Yeah typo sorry. Nothing against Kilkenny but Clonmel is a great town. Not just saying that because i was born there but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

Just to give a bit of a boost to the thread, didn't Clonmel do well in the Tidy Towns.

Gold Medal and a mention which puts us in the same standard as Ennis, Letterkenny,Klikenny,Ballincollig,Tralee Carlow and Malahide.

I have seen a lot of unsung hero volunteers out cleaning for the last few months.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Just seen on the news there now that Clonmel won a silver medal in that flower competition (the one with the french name:o)fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

tippspur wrote: »
    Just seen on the news there now that Clonmel won a silver medal in that flower competition (the one with the french name:o)fair dues.[/Quote

Yeah, fair play. A gold would have been great but considering the borough council are skint it was a great result on a limited budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

another pub gone today,VJ's(gerry brennans)closed it's doors last night so no where to have a pint and a game of snooker,sad for a big town like clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

snipey wrote: »
    another pub gone today,VJ's(gerry brennans)closed it's doors last night so no where to have a pint and a game of snooker,sad for a big town like clonmel.

Shocked by this sudden closure, few pubs empty now want to be mad in head to go into pub business in this day and age, only family owned pubs will survive this recession leased pubs are too risky

That's unreal,things are gone fair bad.:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very sad day indeed. Especially with the passing of Vinny (the V in VJ's) 6 months ago, to be fair to two lads they tried their best to keep it going but the pub trade in Ireland is on its knees. Which is very upsetting when you think of how popular and important Public Houses were in the tradition of being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

For the locals this must be dire news, I am not a pub person so I never understood the need, however do you not think we have moved on from the traditional town pub, do customers or would be, require more than somewhere to sit and sup a pint.
    I gather the cost of a pub pint is much dearer than the same thing at the local supermarket, with the recession it does matter, but having said that the publican has to make a fair profit.
    This is in my opinion another come up with some suggestions how to improve the situation and not lose any more pubs.
    I understand the problem with country pubs, driving, which in all fairness we do not want drunk or over the limit drivers on our roads, by the way can you be banned from cycling over the limit?
    I am told most intoxicated cyclists usually fall off their bikes.
    So what do bars need to stay open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Nomonlyadics

I hope people will enjoy the 10 day closing of the bridge by the train station for roadworks for the extension of the bridge. >.>

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hope people will enjoy the 10 day closing of the bridge by the train station for roadworks for the extension of the bridge. >.>

Yep that won't be a nightmare traffic wise at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That's a pity. I never went there myself, but hadn't it just reopened < a year ago :confused:

Must have been dead quiet.

No one has mentioned one problem with bars closing, have publican's priced themselves out of the market? When one can buy the same drink for considerably less in the supermarket, drink it at home watching the programme you want to watch, can wander up to bed whenever, no worry of driving, parking etc.
    We are moving at a very fast rate, we no longer need telephone kiosks, cigarette shop's, newspaper shops, we can shop on-line, for food and other items.
    Is it any wonder that what was the norm twenty years ago is no longer, and if we all get electric cars, who will need petrol stations.
    I am a believer in bull it gives or may do, wings

Have they priced themselves out of the market? Not really when you factor in the cost of buying the alcohol, licenses, staff costs, esb, heating, entertainment and the upkeep of the bar, do you not think the pubs would lower the price of drink if they really could?

I know some pubs where the owners/directors are no longer taking any profits from, some are taking a wage less than minimum wage just to keep the bar at float.

On positive news it's good to see the Posthouse bar is advertising for new staff and advertising a full line-up of bands playing there over the next few weeks indicating they are going nowhere anytime soon! :)

You have really answered your own problem, anyone not taking a reasonable profit from a business is really fooling themselves and putting off the evil day. No one runs a business at a loss or without profit, however they have line up of bands you say, now that transforms the old fashioned watering hole into another dimension, equally making the bar into a restaurant come bar does the same thing, we are not talking pig in the poke food, the real thing or nothing.
    Face it the old day's have gone, nothing to do with recession's, the world, Ireland, Clonmel have changed, whether it is for the better no one can say, old people will say no, the future generation who knows.
    But whatever the answer one has to move with the times, i read Clonmel got a silver medal for flower's, unless one read the post's who would have known?
    Will it bring more tourist's, will those who live within distance say let's go and see the flower's in Clonmel?
    Think about it where is Clonmel going?

You have really answered your own problem, anyone not taking a reasonable profit from a business is really fooling themselves and putting off the evil day. No one runs a business at a loss or without profit, however they have line up of bands you say

To be fair my response was to your comment about Pubs pricing themselves out of the market which to be fair they haven't.

Did I state that running a pub for little to no profit was good business practice? No. I was clearly pointing out that they have not priced themselves out of the market. There are plenty of other costs attributed to the price of drink other than the cost of the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

@lockie- where are they advertising for staff for Posthouse?

Facebook, their facebook page had an update only yesterday advertising the upcoming bands and looking for their new staff asking people to send their CV's into the Posthouse. I expect there will be an ad in the South Tipp Today when its out as well.

Well my friend how come there so many empty pubs? How many have gone completely, I see no new ones.
    I will say it again with a few exceptions Pubs/Bars are becoming a thing of the past, unless there is entertainment, meals, they are a dieing breed, sorry but that is the state of play.

• Advertisement

Well my friend how come there so many empty pubs? How many have gone completely, I see no new ones.
    I will say it again with a few exceptions Pubs/Bars are becoming a thing of the past, unless there is entertainment, meals, they are a dieing breed, sorry but that is the state of play.

I agree pubs are becoming a thing of the past and they are going out of business fast but it's because of changes in personal taste and consumer trends not because they priced themselves out of the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

You mean the bank are looking for new staff in the Post House,because it's after been taking over plus there's talk of a restraunt(asian)going upstairs,so with a bit of luck it might stay open.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I agree pubs are becoming a thing of the past and they are going out of business fast but it's because of changes in personal taste and consumer trends not because they priced themselves out of the market!
    I actually do think pubs have priced themselves out of the market,people were deserting pubs long before tougher drink driving laws and the smoking ban came in and the reason was the high price of drink.Publicans and brewers put up the price any time they felt like it,the attitude was 'ah sure they'll drink it no matter what price it is' they're suffering for that attitude now and I for one have no sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Have they priced themselves out of the market? Not really when you factor in the cost of buying the alcohol, licenses, staff costs, esb, heating, entertainment and the upkeep of the bar, do you not think the pubs would lower the price of drink if they really could?

I know some pubs where the owners/directors are no longer taking any profits from, some are taking a wage less than minimum wage just to keep the bar at float.

On positive news it's good to see the Posthouse bar is advertising for new staff and advertising a full line-up of bands playing there over the next few weeks indicating they are going nowhere anytime soon! :)

Its good yes but remember that the Posthouse are in receivership and are been run by the banks.

I was only made aware of the situation a few weeks ago but judging by this site it happended at the tail end of last year. > http://www.businessbarometer.ie/FreeIrishCompanyReport?companyNumber=325220&companyName=HICKEY+GAVIGAN+DALY+LIMITED

I hope it pulls through as the town needs more than one alternative to O'Keeffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I see the Mayfair is getting ready to open up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Always fond of the Mayfair's chips, nice alternative to Lyons'.

Sad to see MK Sports closed down. I was talking to a chap in there and he was telling me they lost the license to sell Tipperary match tickets to Super Valu. That hurt their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Also seen a bit of work going on in two places in irishtown yesterday, Ma Ryan's pub which closed recently and the corner deli. Whether this means they're reopening I don't know but it looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Just in hope that it belongs to a boardie. Found a very friendly Collie cross dog last night. He has a red coller on with dog oaw studs in. Anyone knowing his owner let me know, will keep him till tomorrow then take him to Paws in Mulinahone. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Mayfair is due to reopen within the next week or so.

Completely new owners, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Listening to that debate last week on Joe D about the town of Naas dying and the thought struck me that Clonmel is dying every bit as much as Naas. The parking and the shops shutting and the big supermarkets are all doing a percentage damage to the small retail shops of our town.

Advertisement