Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Coming from Ardfinnan it would be Applegreen on the Wood Road
    Coming from Cahir it would be Dillon's Texaco garage just down from the Poppyfield, on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Cool. Thanks, cml387.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I notice that there is no bottle bank in Tesco, Clonmel. Tesco is a 24/7 store and no doubt sell the most alcohol in the town. A bottle bank is badly needed here as there is none on the link road which is 4km (approx) from the Cahir Rd. roundabout to the Waterford Rd. roundabout.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

While there are is an excellent hackney service in Clonmel which is operated by many fine individuals, I think it is time there was a taxi service in the town. Can you understand the apprehension of visitors to the town of not being able to avail a clearly signed "Taxi" ? Can anyone tell me of a similar sized town in Ireland where a taxi service does not exist?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Noticed a new noodle place is opening in Irishtown in the old corner deli place, anyone know anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Xenophile wrote: »
    I notice that there is no bottle bank in Tesco, Clonmel. Tesco is a 24/7 store and no doubt sell the most alcohol in the town. A bottle bank is badly needed here as there is none on the link road which is 4km (approx) from the Cahir Rd. roundabout to the Waterford Rd. roundabout.

But Tesco cant sell alcohol 24/7,so you couldnt say they sell the most alcohol on that basis.I agree with the bottle banks comment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

4km approx, I think you mean 4 miles approx. The Cahir Rd-Waterford Rd Roundabout is about 8km

4km approx, I think you mean 4 miles approx. The Cahir Rd-Waterford Rd Roundabout is about 8km

Maybe you are right, I am out of town for a while, maybe someone can confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Maybe you are right, I am out of town for a while, maybe someone can confirm.
    I drive the rd every day and run it every other day and believe me that stretch of rd isnt 4km:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd say you're about right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

He should have had a helping of Humble Pie along with his Shepherds Pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

While there are is an excellent hackney service in Clonmel which is operated by many fine individuals, I think it is time there was a taxi service in the town. Can you understand the apprehension of visitors to the town of not being able to avail a clearly signed "Taxi" ? Can anyone tell me of a similar sized town in Ireland where a taxi service does not exist?

Couple of issues with getting taxis in the town. First of all the town council never went ahead and developed a proper taxi rank probably due to the cost and space and secondly with the hackneys who act like taxis in Clonmel i.e queuing for business and allowing themselves to be open to business by just hailing them passing by why would anyone choose to get in a taxi with a sign on the roof when the hackneys cost a set five to six euro no matter where you go in town.

Is there not? I thought there was some in the left hand corner as you headed out of the car park or is that just a clothes bank?

Couple of issues with getting taxis in the town. First of all the town council never went ahead and developed a proper taxi rank probably due to the cost and space and secondly with the hackneys who act like taxis in Clonmel i.e queuing for business and allowing themselves to be open to business by just hailing them passing by why would anyone choose to get in a taxi with a sign on the roof when the hackneys cost a set five to six euro no matter where you go in town.

Is there not? I thought there was some in the left hand corner as you headed out of the car park or is that just a clothes bank?

With all due respect the cost and space are nor issues, plenty of money around in the boom years. Space has been created in every other town so why not Clonmel. Clonmel has three fine wide streets in the centre of the town. Imagine a total stranger getting of a Bus or Train in Clonmel and wanting to go to Minella or Lisronagh it would be a lot more reassuring to see a cab with a Taxi sign on the roof.

Just a clothes bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

With all due respect the cost and space are nor issues, plenty of money around in the boom years. Space has been created in every other town so why not Clonmel. Clonmel has three fine wide streets in the centre of the town. Imagine a total stranger getting of a Bus or Train in Clonmel and wanting to go to Minella or Lisronagh it would be a lot more reassuring to see a cab with a Taxi sign on the roof.

Just a clothes bank.

There's a bottle bank beside the Clonmel ParkHotel (at the extreme left hand side of the Poppyfields buildings).

As to why there is to taxi service in Clonmel,it seems a strange one.
    Is there some darker reason? There is no right of parking for hackneys outside MacDonalds yet they are all there, double parked at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I could be wrong but I though there used to be a bottle bank in Clonmel Og ???

And in Dunnes Stores, Oakville and Davis Road and the Gashouse carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

DT100 wrote: »

George is to busy in Turkey at an ITAA conference to be home bothering with defending such trivial matters and its fallout!!

George is to busy in Turkey at an ITAA conference to be home bothering with defending such trivial matters and its fallout!!
    What's the Turkish equivalent to Shepherds Pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

DT100 wrote: »
    Scandalous treatment,shows him up for what he really is.

• Advertisement

A lot of locals knew this already just gone public now. My question is will she ever get the 72K? Their are loads of cases of employers ignoring the ruling and the individual having to go to court and get judgements then maybe the sheriff.... and end up with nothing.

Will George pay?

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    What's the Turkish equivalent to Shepherds Pie?

Doner Kebab?

George did the business no favours with his pathetic snipe at Shepherds Pie. Those who regularly have no choice but to eat it, wouldn't darken his door again!

solerina wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I though there used to be a bottle bank in Clonmel Og ???

Used to be but the club terminated it a few years. For me the club did not show much community spirit.

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    George did the business no favours with his pathetic snipe at Shepherds Pie. Those who regularly have no choice but to eat it, wouldn't darken his door again!

Wonder will his buddies in the media turn on him? Will he still get the Frontline front row tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Will George pay?[/QUOTE]

He can trade in his english reg Jag to pay some of what he owe's her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I agree with the aspect that it would be more reassuring to a visitor but in order for a taxi business to survive you need the locals to use it on a regular basis and a taxi could not compete with the five/six quid currently charged by Hackneys.

Lets not even get onto how much the council could spend on consultation, plannings and overruns on the installation of a taxi rank in the town if they so wished to go ahead with it. The only two place in the town centre that would even be looked at would be were the Hackneys currently tout for business, McDonalds and outside O'Keeffe's at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

snipey wrote: »

Will George pay?

He can trade in his english reg Jag to pay some of what he owe's her.[/QUOTE]

Jaysus if he was lucky enough not to have it seized by customs first. I can't understand how he hasn't had the car taken off him sooner, any normal person would have come under scrutiny by now.. In fact they prob would have had the car seized within a month of it appearing around the place, Georgey Boy is driving that Jag with nearly a year now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

He can trade in his english reg Jag to pay some of what he owe's her.

Jaysus if he was lucky enough not to have it seized by customs first. I can't understand how he hasn't had the car taken off him sooner, any normal person would have come under scrutiny by now.. In fact they prob would have had the car seized within a month of it appearing around the place, Georgey Boy is driving that Jag with nearly a year now.....

He can drive it on trade plates as long as it's in relation to his garage business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

alexmcred wrote: »
    He can drive it on trade plates as long as it's in relation to his garage business

Anytime I've seen that jag there has never been a trade plate on it. Plus I'm 100% sure trade plates don't cover personal use otherwise every car dealer in the country would be driving high end imports. Business use is fairly limited too.

Advertisement