Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I think that it is just getting a bit of a spruce up before the judging in the "Entente Forale" which takes place next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Vizzy wrote: »
    I think that it is just getting a bit of a spruce up before the judging in the "Entente Forale" which takes place next week

They wouldn't be doing inside for that though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

rumor doing the rounds that the borough council were going to get it on to the derilect sites register and take control of it. So maybe the owners are doing something to head this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I walked past it today and saw / heard nothing going on there.

Personally I doubt if anything will happen with it.

The building was in a poor state of repair before it closed and will certainly be in a worse state by now.

It's very unlikely that someone with the kind of money needed to put the place back together to a good standard would be spending their money there where they would be virtually guaranteed to lose it.

Any work I've seen there over the last few weeks seemed to be just cosmetic.

Cerbera wrote: »
    I walked past it today and saw / heard nothing going on there.

Personally I doubt if anything will happen with it.

The building was in a poor state of repair before it closed and will certainly be in a worse state by now.

It's very unlikely that someone with the kind of money needed to put the place back together to a good standard would be spending their money there where they would be virtually guaranteed to lose it.

Any work I've seen there over the last few weeks seemed to be just cosmetic.

As a hotel yes there would be a lot of money lost but as a bar only well there could be some scope there. I know if my numbers come up in the euro millions this week that's what I'd be doing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

As a hotel yes there would be a lot of money lost but as a bar only well there could be some scope there. I know if my numbers come up in the euro millions this week that's what I'd be doing :)

You seem to have the perfect recipe to make a small fortune there ..... start with a big fortune and buy a bar.

;)

:)

Seriously though, the actual structure of that place can't be in great order at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

What's the story on the Bridge Bar ? Heard that it's for demolishing ?
    OMG....how can they do this to the most frequently flooded pub in Ireland ?
    That place made history !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

The foundations have been wrecked due to the flooding. It's not safe in there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great music around the Town today for the Busking festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Great buzz around town yesterday and last night with the Busking Festival. Dublin City Ramblers in Mulcahys were great .... what was the story with the lack of taxis though?

Walked the whole way home in a monsoon :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Meathlass wrote: »
    Great buzz around town yesterday and last night with the Busking Festival. Dublin City Ramblers in Mulcahys were great .... what was the story with the lack of taxis though?

Walked the whole way home in a monsoon :-(

All the taxis were prob busy cause of the bad weather. And it depends on what time you go looking for one, anytime after 1.30am and its near to impossible to flag a taxi down in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Really? I always see a taxi rank outside McDonalds that's fairly active after 1.30? But admittedly that's of a Saturday and not Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

hiya folks, I've heard a rumor that supermac's are coming to clonmel, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not sure but I have heard rumours from a long time ago that they were opening up in the vicinity of Tesco's but that seems to have dissipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Heard that rumour a long time ago, they were supposed to have bought GBM garage across from Tesco, and were to make it a drive through, but nothing since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deminiman wrote: »
    Heard that rumour a long time ago, they were supposed to have bought GBM garage across from Tesco, and were to make it a drive through, but nothing since.

Heard the exact same rumour. But that's exactly prob what it is just a rumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

The old GBM building is up for lease again (there was a sign saying sold, now it's a sign for lease).
    There is PP sought for a takeaway and drive through across the road where the old co-op building was.

On another topic altogether, there are a lot of civil defence personnel around town this evening.Are the flood barriers going up?

cml387 wrote: »
    On another topic altogether, there are a lot of civil defence personnel around town this evening.Are the flood barriers going up?

There is a Boil Water Notice for a part of the town( check the Borough Council website for more detail) and the Civil Defence lads are handing out leaflets to the households affected.
    They might be putting up the flood defences 2 moro though,given the weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

these are the affected areas according to South Tipp Co Co website

Areas Affected

•Town Centre/Davis Road area- Joyces Lane in the West to Dunnes Stores on the Davis Road in the East; Cuirt an Ri/King Street on the North side to the River Suir on the South side
    •Mountain Road Area (This notice does not apply to other areas and water schemes in Clonmel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Really? I always see a taxi rank outside McDonalds that's fairly active after 1.30? But admittedly that's of a Saturday and not Sunday.

I usually never have a problem getting taxis around the 3-4am mark but this time I walked out towards the showgrounds thinking there'd be lots of traffic coming back into town but nothing. In future I'll stick to O'Connell st for taxis. Shoes still aren't dry after all the rain on saturday night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/unemployment-focus-day-3--tipperary-signs-of-downturn-painfully-visible-204160.html

Big article in the Examiner about Tipperary and employment/unemployment

I remember a thread a good while ago about Shepherds Pie and I didn't know what it was about

I don't know this man from Clonmel but I dislike him already!

Depressing article but it's well written and covers the town and the county

That article is a great read, very depressing but it hits home just how bad things are. There's not a scratch of work in Clonmel,Tipp or even the South East these days.

I had to move to Dublin to get work and even that's a temporary contract. It's tough leaving your home town and it's very sad seeing Clonmel struggling so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

mikemac1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/unemployment-focus-day-3--tipperary-signs-of-downturn-painfully-visible-204160.html

Big article in the Examiner about Tipperary and employment/unemployment

I remember a thread a good while ago about Shepherds Pie and I didn't know what it was about

I don't know this man from Clonmel but I dislike him already!

Depressing article but it's well written and covers the town and the county
    Mr Shepherds pie has some great ideas hasn't he :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

tippspur wrote: »
    Mr Shepherds pie has some great ideas hasn't he :rolleyes:

I know the author a long, long time and I have to admit - the only thing he is not short on is confidence. This lad took a very good business, built from scratch by his Dad and all but destroyed it because of his own arrogance and greed, and I might add by behaving in a manor that his father would never have done.
    he is now going around writing books about how to handle being in hock to the banks for millions. Part of me admires him, he has always been utterly convinced he is right despite the obvious, and I think this book just proves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I know the author a long, long time and I have to admit - the only thing he is not short on is confidence. This lad took a very good business, built from scratch by his Dad and all but destroyed it because of his own arrogance and greed, and I might add by behaving in a manor that his father would never have done.
    he is now going around writing books about how to handle being in hock to the banks for millions. Part of me admires him, he has always been utterly convinced he is right despite the obvious, and I think this book just proves it.

Nail on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Great talk from a man who was too lazy to deliver letters as a post man,so he burned them.Pure greed put him in bother.

I am seriously considering putting a deposit on a car down in Mordaunts.
    Taking a test drive and not coming back.
    When George comes looking for his car I'll takethe advice that he is currently peddling and politely( or maybe not so politely) tell him to fcuk off.

Love to see his smug puss then.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I am seriously considering putting a deposit on a car down in Mordaunts.
    Taking a test drive and not coming back.
    When George comes looking for his car I'll takethe advice that he is currently peddling and politely( or maybe not so politely) tell him to fcuk off.

Love to see his smug puss then.

What about your deposit? I believe the going rate is a grand :( but too much to loose to see his smug. Would have to be seething unshiftable something like a 4.0 litre petrol X5 all 70 grand of it, a tug boat wouldn't even shift that yoke!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

DT100 wrote: »
    Great talk from a man who was too lazy to deliver letters as a post man,so he burned them.Pure greed put him in bother.
    and the guy who lied when the dogs in the street knew his business was going down the tubes by telling the local paper there ws no truth in the rumour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

you should check him out on facebook he speaks alot of sence.

Advertisement