Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

susancork wrote: »
    Haven't been able to use Viber now for about 48 hours and really missing it :confused:Tried removing and reinstalling but discovered then that it seems to work on WiFi. Does that mean my carrier (Vodafone bill pay) is blocking it??

Hi,

We've been getting reports from other Irish users on Vodafone that Viber isn't working on 3G.

We would appreciate if you could specify:
    1. Do you have a data plan with Vodafone that should generally allow VoIP on their 3G network?
    2. Have you tried contacting Vodafone? What are they saying about this?

Lastly, please check this thread where a Vodafone representative can be found. It might be helpful for you to post a message there as well: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77789349&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post77789349

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

Is there any news on Viber for Blackberry? I just keep hearing coming soon. Does that mean a week, a month, or a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

jossul1179 wrote: »
    Is there any news on Viber for Blackberry? I just keep hearing coming soon. Does that mean a week, a month, or a year?

It will be out soon but there will not be a voice function - to me it is a disaster on their part, they have been speaking about this for over a year, saying it is coming soon, however when it finally does come it will do nothing new, as WhatsApp already does free messages in this way

By soon I mean that I would expect text only Viber in the next 3 months, but no voice until well after BB10 phones are out and running, I would be surprised to make a Viber voice call on BB in the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's text-only betas out today for Windows Phone and BlackBerry according to The Verge.

BlackBerry App World, Windows Phone Marketplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Viber for BlackBerry now available in beta:
    http://www.viber.com/blackberry

Hi everyone,

Following quite a lot of anticipating users' questions here on Boards.ie, we are now excited to announce that Viber for BlackBerry Beta and Windows Phone 7 have both been released today! These milestone lets BlackBerry and WP7 users connect freely with our 60 million Viber users, and is a major step towards the full versions, which will have our free HD-voice calling. Get it, you’ll like it.

We are here to collect your feedbacks, questions and ideas - feel free to let us know your thoughts at any time :)

Best regards
    the Viber Team.

Viber wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Following quite a lot of anticipating users' questions here on Boards.ie, we are now excited to announce that Viber for BlackBerry Beta and Windows Phone 7 have both been released today! These milestone lets BlackBerry and WP7 users connect freely with our 60 million Viber users, and is a major step towards the full versions, which will have our free HD-voice calling. Get it, you’ll like it.

We are here to collect your feedbacks, questions and ideas - feel free to let us know your thoughts at any time :)

Best regards
    the Viber Team.

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why not get mods to move the thread to mobiles and pda's forum seeing as this is not android only now.

Also for wp7 I can't seem to be able to connect to Facebook via settings. I log in, it says success and does nothing.

Otherwise everything is fine. Ye could also add some colour to the app. looks a bit boring in black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Ye could also add some colour to the app. looks a bit boring in black and white
    That's WP7, monotonous, oversized text mess.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Ye could also add some colour to the app. looks a bit boring in black and white
    That's WP7, monotonous, oversized text mess.

Mmm not really, metro design isn't just black and white. Atleast wp7 has a design, android just goes all over the place, now that's a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

Downloaded Viber for BlackBerry yesterday. It is just a texting app for now. Now sure how useful this is to BlackBerry owner who already have BBM. When will the voice call be available? isn't that the whole point of Viber VoIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 susancork

Hi,

We've been getting reports from other Irish users on Vodafone that Viber isn't working on 3G.

We would appreciate if you could specify:
    1. Do you have a data plan with Vodafone that should generally allow VoIP on their 3G network?
    2. Have you tried contacting Vodafone? What are they saying about this?

Lastly, please check this thread where a Vodafone representative can be found. It might be helpful for you to post a message there as well: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77789349&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post77789349

To answer your queries:

1) Yes, my Vodafone data plan covers this and Viber had been working perfectly for the last 4 months.
    2) I phoned Vodafone this morning and they are saying that they have no way of blocking Viber. I told her that all of my contacts using other service providers have no issues, its just my Vodafone contacts that are having difficulties. She simply said that because it was an app that they provide no support and I should simply uninstall and reinstall it! (I had already tried that to no avail).

Any update from Viber on this issue???

Thanks,

Susanconfused.gif

To answer your queries:

1) Yes, my Vodafone data plan covers this and Viber had been working perfectly for the last 4 months.
    2) I phoned Vodafone this morning and they are saying that they have no way of blocking Viber. I told her that all of my contacts using other service providers have no issues, its just my Vodafone contacts that are having difficulties. She simply said that because it was an app that they provide no support and I should simply uninstall and reinstall it! (I had already tried that to no avail).

Any update from Viber on this issue???

Thanks,

Susanconfused.gif

Oh they can block this if they want. They can block anything. Skype was if still not is blocked on Vodafone broadband, so them blocking Skype, Viber, Facebook Messengers, Whats App seems like something plausible.

@evolutionqy7 -
    About Viber for WP7's design - we tried to adapt Viber's GUI to the general feeling of Windows Phone's OS. We might make further improvements in the future :)

@jossul1179 -
    Releasing the beta version with messaging only is only the first step. We are working around the clock to bring the VoIP feature to our fans, and we hope to complete it within the next few to several months. We'll keep you posted with news.

@susancork -
    We can tell you that this is certainly not a Viber problem.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Viber, as the Vodafone representative recommended you to do, is not really a solution to such a problem ;)

As I explained above, an almost identical scenario occurred a few months back. Vodafone at first claimed it was nothing wrong, but then realized it was a problem in their configuration and the block was lifted after a few days. Seems like this isn't the case this time. You might want to contact a Vodafone rep. here on Boards.ie or talk to managers. If you're paying for a VoIP data plan, you should demand that you get your money's worth, no? ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I'm looking forward very much to seeing VIBER go into full use mode and i'm wondering what O2 will be able to do about it What might we expect from that shower ?

@evolutionqy7 -
    About Viber for WP7's design - we tried to adapt Viber's GUI to the general feeling of Windows Phone's OS. We might make further improvements in the future :)

The UI is fine, its just the colour scheme could be made a bit more cheerful. Have a look at couple of the apps on the marketplace, the most popular ones, not all of them run on black and white or vice versa. Most of the popular ones use Metro Design with their own colour scheme. Im sure ye could come up with some funky purple design :)

Have a look here http://www.telerik.com/products/windows-phone/getting-started/showcases.aspx?ShowcasesCatID=9711ea75-1ddb-4cd8-a328-a167826c3afd

Most apps you will see here a nice colouring scheme. They all have a nice consistent UI but the change in colours make them look like completely different apps with their own design :)

If you have any specific suggestions for Viber's scheme improvements, you are more than welcome to let us know :)

We invite you to enter our Feature Request page and post your suggestion there, or join an existing similar suggestion. The more people join on a request, the faster it will become reality :)

You can find it here: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php/Knowledgebase/Article/View/43/9/have-an-idea-for-a-new-feature

• Registered Users Posts: 6 susancork

@susancork -
    We can tell you that this is certainly not a Viber problem.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Viber, as the Vodafone representative recommended you to do, is not really a solution to such a problem ;)

As I explained above, an almost identical scenario occurred a few months back. Vodafone at first claimed it was nothing wrong, but then realized it was a problem in their configuration and the block was lifted after a few days. Seems like this isn't the case this time. You might want to contact a Vodafone rep. here on Boards.ie or talk to managers. If you're paying for a VoIP data plan, you should demand that you get your money's worth, no? ;)

Vodafone have just redeemed themselves for me - for today anyway ;) - a very nice person on a technical helpdesk (in Egypt!) resolved it for me - for some reason needed new internet settings to be input.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Downloaded Viber for BlackBerry yesterday. It is just a texting app for now. Now sure how useful this is to BlackBerry owner who already have BBM. When will the voice call be available? isn't that the whole point of Viber VoIP?

BBM is only available to Blackberry mobiles... If you have any friends using Android, Windows Phone or Fruityphone you'll be able to message them for free now as well, even if they're on the other side of the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 itchbee

Vodafone have just redeemed themselves for me - for today anyway ;) - a very nice person on a technical helpdesk (in Egypt!) resolved it for me - for some reason needed new internet settings to be input.
    hiya just wondering what settings did you change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

itchbee wrote: »
    hiya just wondering what settings did you change

Could be APN setting. settings->wireless and networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (active one will have a circle radio icon beside it).
    Mine is set to live.vodafone.com and I'm not seeing any issues with Viber.

Other APN settings (if you tap on it you can fully configure) are:
    Proxy: 010.024.059.100
    Port: 80
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 01
    APN Type: default, supl
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    All other settings not set

If you have an Xperia Android phone, you can go into Xperia menu in settings and tap Internet Settings and it will retrieve them for your phone and network. Not sure about other phones.

Also my phone from Vodafone came with Mcafee anti-virus on it. If you have that, I'd uninstall it if you can (bloody thing is like a virus) but as I did that, I can't say if that solved my problem. Avast anti-virus for Android is much better anyway and free though I just don't run any TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmar

Hi i have a samsung galaxy note and i have a problem in viber calls, when the viber call reaches aprox 2 minutes (from 1 min to 3 max) i can hear the one im calling but he doesnt hear me. I have a factory rom 2.3.6 LC1. Its a bit annoying because i cant make free calls...its a viber problem i guess because i ve used many wifi spots and 3g's...with earphones or not...can you please fix alla that problems?? When i had iphone 4 i didnt have that issues...so i suppose its androids viber problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

jmar wrote: »
    Hi i have a samsung galaxy note and i have a problem in viber calls, when the viber call reaches aprox 2 minutes (from 1 min to 3 max) i can hear the one im calling but he doesnt hear me. I have a factory rom 2.3.6 LC1. Its a bit annoying because i cant make free calls...its a viber problem i guess because i ve used many wifi spots and 3g's...with earphones or not...can you please fix alla that problems?? When i had iphone 4 i didnt have that issues...so i suppose its androids viber problem...

It is most likely a Samsung software issue. I find their software terrible but most of the best app developers work around the quirks due to the number of Samsung devices.

When is the update for iOS coming?

Are there some nice changes coming? You guys implemented any of the features I posted a couple of pages back?

@thebman -
    This issue has already come to our attention, and we're looking into it at the moment. Meanwhile, we would appreciate if you could report the details of the problem to our support team at: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0
    This will help us deal with the issue better.

By the way - you can try and run some tests to try and find the source of the problem:
    1. Make sure the other side of the conversation is connected to WiFi themselves.
    2. Try to make a Viber call right after a reboot of your Note
    3. There might be other apps colliding with Viber. Try shutting off all other apps running in the background, then try to make the call.

@CyberGhost -
    A big iOS new version is in the works these days (we still don't have exact release dates), and it contains many cool new features. We wouldn't want to ruin the surprise, but you can rest assured that at least some of our users' suggestions are implemented there ;)

Cool!

I love Viber!

Not you, the app

OK, you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Anyone having a problem sending messages today?

Have data connection but messages hang on sending for ages before not delivering.

flugel wrote: »
    Anyone having a problem sending messages today?

Have data connection but messages hang on sending for ages before not delivering.
    had that a week ago, got bored of it and went back to good old fashion sms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

had that a week ago, got bored of it and went back to good old fashion sms

Sending messages to people abroad so sms won't suffice for me in this instance unfortunately!

Never had an issue before myself. I'll see if it sorts itself out, just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing problems.

Edit: My message out hung on sending and I cancelled it but now got a reply to that message. Seems to be back working now

Advertisement