Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This thread was quit for a while. What's going on recently...?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Are there other sites than adverts.ie and donedeal.ie to keep an eye on just in case the bike might pop up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hauki wrote: »
    Are there other sites than adverts.ie and donedeal.ie to keep an eye on just in case the bike might pop up?

Buy and sell.ie, gumtree.ie then the English ones if there is reasonable value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Strange one for you all: my son got his bike stolen yesterday, but then it was put back.

I got home from work with everyone in a flap because the bike had been swiped from an onstreet bike rack. After a bit of investigation I discovered that the bike had been locked beside the rack, but not to it, so obviously someone had wheeled the bike away to work on the lock. (This would not be a locking technique I would recommend!).

I went down to the local Garda station to give the details of the bike in, and on the way I had a poke around the spot where the bike was taken from. There was the bike, back in the rack. The lock had been attacked with a bolt cutters, but it had not been overcome.

We have been trying to speculate as to why the bike was put back. I'm starting to think that it was local kids that took it, and someone told them to put it back.

Needless to say, we are delighted to have recovered the bike, and I now have a good excuse to upgrade the lock. Very odd series of events though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

On last Thursday (08.05.2014) between 8am and 6pm a new bike got stolen from outside the restaurant at the Bioscience Institute on UCC campus.

The case is reported UCC security and the local Garda.

Please PM me if you can help to find it (it's not my bike)

306827.jpeg

• Advertisement

PrzemoF wrote: »
    On last Thursday (08.05.2014) between 8am and 6pm a new bike got stolen from outside the restaurant at the Bioscience Institute on UCC campus.

The case is reported UCC security and the local Garda.

Please PM me if you can help to find it (it's not my bike)

306827.jpeg

I'd only say this as you've stated that it's not your bike. I'm really not having a go. For the benefit of others who might stumble on this thread though, I have to say that the picture shows a nice bike locked about as badly as a bike can be locked, with about the worst lock that money was ever wasted on.

Perhaps you might pass on that message to the owner? In gentler terms of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

endacl wrote: »
    I'd only say this as you've stated that it's not your bike. I'm really not having a go. For the benefit of others who might stumble on this thread though, I have to say that the picture shows a nice bike locked about as badly as a bike can be locked, with about the worst lock that money was ever wasted on.

Perhaps you might pass on that message to the owner? In gentler terms of course.

Thanks, I will do it. Especially that the used-to-be-a-bike-owner believes that the bike was securely locked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was gonna say the same thing but Endacl got there ahead of me.

I presume those wheels are quick release too so what's stopping someone nicking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I could be wrong, but the bike in the photo doesn't actually look like it's locked. It looks like the lock has just been 'locked' around the top tube as a sort of storage. Maybe the owner just didn't have the bracket for it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could be wrong, but the bike in the photo doesn't actually look like it's locked. It looks like the lock has just been 'locked' around the top tube as a sort of storage. Maybe the owner just didn't have the bracket for it?
    That type of lock, get a tight grip use a wall for leverage and yank like hell, probably pop the lock on the first or second attempt, roughly 10 seconds work with no tools.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    That type of lock, get a tight grip use a wall for leverage and yank like hell, probably pop the lock on the first or second attempt, roughly 10 seconds work with no tools.

Or, if you want to go tooled up, bring a scissors.

No joke. I had to demonstrate to somebody before what they shouldn't bother with their five quid Aldi lock. Got through it with a scissors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

guys if you spend over 500 euros on a bike why not considering to implement some more serious def fence mechanism such as spybike gps tracker system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I had a bike stolen from my back garden this past Friday night/Saturday morning. I live in Inchicore. It's a Specialized Crosstrail and I had it for a few years and always kept it in the back garden. The bike is black and grey and had a New York Giants sticker on the bar that runs from the handlebars to the seat.

We have high stone walls around our back garden with glass shards on top so we usually don't have people climbing over the wall and you can't see into the back garden from behind the house. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a picture of it or register the bike. If anyone finds a bike matching this description please let me know. I've also reported this to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

My friends bike was stolen from the car park in his apartment complex in Northwood Santry Dublin 9 sometime between the evening of Wednesday 14th may 2014 and morning of the 15th may .
    The bike in question is a Giant Rapid 4(see picture). It was Locked with a kryptonite u-lock and also a thick circular type lock.it has been reported to the Guards. If anyone has any info about it or sees it for sale it would be greatly appreciated if u can let us know. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

My friends bike was stolen from the car park in his apartment complex in Northwood Santry Dublin 9 sometime between the evening of Wednesday 14th may 2014 and morning of the 15th may .
    The bike in question is a Giant Rapid 4(see picture). It was Locked with a kryptonite u-lock and also a thick circular type lock.it has been reported to the Guards. If anyone sees has any info it or sees it for sale it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Am in the area, will keep eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Am in the area, will keep eyes peeled.

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I had my bike stolen from work today. Must have been between the hours of 9:30 and 5:30. Work is in Clonskeagh.

It was a black Giant Defy 4, with white handlebars like the one in the link below, except it had black plastic attached mudguards. It was bought at P+K cycles

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2011/Defy-4-Triple.jpg

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

My bike was stolen from work at Clonskeagh today between 8.00 and 5.00. Locked in what I thought was a secure underground car park.
    Bike was a Silver Giant Defy 5 with black carbon fork, SPD pedals, rear mudguard and lights. Only started cycling a few weeks ago, gutted.

What's going on in clonskeagh?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

endacl wrote: »
    What's going on in clonskeagh?!?

I was thinking the same thing. I used to work around there, and most of this type of crime originated in Beech Hill estate.
    It might be worth hanging out around there and you might see your bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hi all,

My girlfriend had her Giant Avail 3 stolen from Mount Street last night. It's a 2011 model, Shimano Sora triple groupset with a couple of defining features.

1. It was fitted with white NS Bikes flat mtb pedals.
    2. It was fitted with 2 elite bottle cages in pink.
    3. The rear tyre was a Continental Gatorskin in 23mm, the front a Giant PSL1 tyre in 25mm.

If anyone sees anything matching that description, please let me know.

Thanks.

156899.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

My friend from Edinburgh (in fact on her very first stop of a 4-5 week cycle tour from Cork/Roscoff down to San Sebastian) had her bike stolen between 5-10pm on Sunday 18th from where it was locked up on Stephen St Lower. Of course (similar to earlier posters on this thread) the only thing she did wrong was have a fairly-decent bike in contrast to more rickety thief-proofed bikes around it :-(

The bike was a 17 Inch Nishiki XC3 Ladies 21 Speed Black, originally shipped over to Scotland from Sweden in 2012. A Black hybrid bicycle with Nishiki written on the lower crossbar. Google search with "Inch-Nishiki-Ladies-Speed-Black" will bring up a picture as the first hit (I'm a fairly new poster on boards.ie so can't add a direct link)

If anyone could help us locate the bike (or knows where they sell the bikes on), we would really appreciate it. It's a lousy way to start a cycle tour ...

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Hi all,

My girlfriend had her Giant Avail 3 stolen from Mount Street last night.
    Where on Mount Street? Actually on the road or from a car park. Was it Upper or Lower? Asking as I sometimes leave a bike around there.

Where on Mount Street? Actually on the road or from a car park. Was it Upper or Lower? Asking as I sometimes leave a bike around there.

Outside 60 mount Street, roughly opposite howl at the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Outside 60 mount Street, roughly opposite howl at the moon.

There's some notoriously dodgy characters a couple of doors up from there...

Seriously though there should be CCTV all over that part of Mount Street, worth asking Howl at the moon and FF HQ if they caught anything.

There's some notoriously dodgy characters a couple of doors up from there...

Seriously though there should be CCTV all over that part of Mount Street, worth asking Howl at the moon and FF HQ if they caught anything.

Good idea. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jessie1973

Hi Folk, last night some low life stole my 3 bikes from my shed in Thomastown in Kilkenny. Bike 1 was a 2014 Giant Defy 1 Advanced, Matt black, size 54. Bike 2 was a Specialized Roubaix, size 54.8 2013, red & white. 3rd bike was my sons Treck 1.2 Alpha size 54, blue & white. Reward offered for any information leading to the recovery of these bikes, thankyou !

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Check adverts.ie, gumtree.ie and donedeal.ie

You would be surprised how many of those toe-rags put the bikes up for sale right after stealing it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Jessie1973 wrote: »
    Hi Folk, last night some low life stole my 3 bikes from my shed in Thomastown in Kilkenny. Bike 1 was a 2014 Giant Defy 1 Advanced, Matt black, size 54. Bike 2 was a Specialized Roubaix, size 54.8 2013, red & white. 3rd bike was my sons Treck 1.2 Alpha size 54, blue & white. Reward offered for any information leading to the recovery of these bikes, thankyou !

A few ideas for you. Check the garda website. They have a list of recovered bicycles. If you have some photo if might help people know what to look out for. Might be worth checking the various classified ad website to see if anyone has tried to flog any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moved to stolen bikes thread

Advertisement