Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

davidjkent wrote: »
    The toe rags has sawn through the cycle rack (sometime before) and taped the cuts with silver masking tape (be wary/vigilant of any bike rack with tape). Taken between 9am and 5pm from a campus with security!

Lock and bike taken, it would have to have been lifted into a van/car as wheels were locked to the frame with ABUS u-lock.

Ba$tards. That's not the first time they've done that in the same business park AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

davidjkent wrote: »
    Gutted...my 2012 Felt F5 was stolen from East Point Business Park on the 14th of March. The toe rags has sawn through the cycle rack (sometime before) and taped the cuts with silver masking tape (be wary/vigilant of any bike rack with tape). Taken between 9am and 5pm from a campus with security!

Lock and bike taken, it would have to have been lifted into a van/car as wheels were locked to the frame with ABUS u-lock.

Link to bike here http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360064880/F5-105-2012-402-0101.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

Any sightings please PM me....looking on usual buy & sell sites.

Sorry to hear that, thanks for the tip about the tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ccd1 wrote: »
    Hi There,

My bike was stolen from the front garden of my friend's house on Sth. Circular Rd. on Thursday 13th March between 7.30pm-11.00pm (They cut the lock and took it from beside front door)

I was a Dawes ladies Mojave same colour as pic below.

I has a slightly dented front basket, cateye lights front and back and a kickstand. There are tape marks on the handlebars from where a light used to be sellotaped on (mcgyver eat your heart out).

I reported the theft to the guards at Rathmines and have put details on bikeregister.ie. I'll keep an eye on adverts, donedeal etc etc too.

Just thought there'd be no harm in shhhhticking it up here too.

Thanks a mil!

MojaveLds_zps0ce4bd32.jpg

Years ago I interviewed some car thieves about how to steal a car. They told me that if there were furry dice in the car you took them out; if there weren't, you put some in. If there was racing tape (I think it was called) making stripes along the car, you took it off; if there wasn't, you put some on. You changed any characteristics like that.

They said people describe their car in terms of the additions they've made, and these are the very things that car thieves immediately change.

So if you're describing your bike, maybe bear that in mind - I'm sure the same is true of bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

They said people describe their car in terms of the additions they've made, and these are the very things that car thieves immediately change.

So if you're describing your bike, maybe bear that in mind - I'm sure the same is true of bicycles.

I did not recognise my stolen bike when I first saw it, I just remember thinking, hey, it's the same model as the one I lost, so if I buy it it will be easy to get used to...

It was stolen from Jervis St and I found it days later in the second hand, open-air, bike shop on Parnell St. (Mods, no need to worry about libel, the seller at that site pleaded guilty to passing stolen goods and was convicted in court).

The following had been removed/replaced from the bike:
    Rear wheel, chain guard, bell, light brackets, lock holders, most stickers, childseat mount, serial number (ground off). I only recognised it as mine from some tiny stickers they had missed, and had to show photographic proof to the Garda so he could be sure enough to proceed safely.

So - pro tips for you people - you do need photos of your bike, AND the serial number AND it needs to be reported to Gardai before they can act. Otherwise you further reduce your tiny chance of getting your bike back and possibly join the rank of people who can't ID their bikes:-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/ & http://www.bikeregister.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I know which bit of the cnut those cutters should be used on.

To start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Never too far from a scum bag in Dublin, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Was just about to post a picture of that little scumbag. Seen it on twitter. Unfortunately nothing will happen to him and he'll be out soon enough to rob again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

MB Lacey wrote: »

I vote to cut this thugs balls off with the bolt cutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I was shocked at the violence of the comments on Broadsheet, and am shocked at the same here. I love my bike, and would instinctively love to give any bike thief a swift boot in the hole; however, we maintain our society through law, community and co-operation.
    Well done - *very* well done - to the Gardaí on Operation Spoke, which has picked up many bicycle thieves. May it continue until this nuisance crime - gateway to larger crimes, what's worse - is wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I loved the comments on Broadsheet.ie, hilarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tcarnus

Hi,

56cm kelly's IRC, 2009 model (grey and dark, not white, with ritchey carbon forks) was stolen from backyard in Glenageary, DL this evening. The freehub is shot on it so this bike is going to turn up at a bike shop. It also has a cateye yoke on the handlebars and spd pedals.

Any info pm me thanks.

Tim

I was shocked at the violence of the comments on Broadsheet, and am shocked at the same here. I love my bike, and would instinctively love to give any bike thief a swift boot in the hole; however, we maintain our society through law, community and co-operation.
    Well done - *very* well done - to the Gardaí on Operation Spoke, which has picked up many bicycle thieves. May it continue until this nuisance crime - gateway to larger crimes, what's worse - is wiped out.

I agree entirely, except for the 'shocked' bit.

In the Old West, a varmint would hang fer stealin' a man's horse!

Giant Escape 2 Hybrid taken from underground carpark in Belfield Business Park
    yesterday during the day. Black frame, white handlebars, black and red panniers (most probably i a bush somewhere by now, along with my football boots :(....)

Only just finished paying for it last month from BTW scheme too :((((((

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

a few years ago some guys drove in with a van and took all the bikes from the bike cage in the underground car park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

yesterday during the day. Black frame, white handlebars, black and red panniers (most probably i a bush somewhere by now, along with my football boots :(....)

Only just finished paying for it last month from BTW scheme too :((((((

:mad: Oh I am sorry for you, really sucks! Bloody bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aidanring45

Aw man snoopsheep, my sympathies, i know the feeling, my last payslip covering the bike came last thursday and it got nicked straight out of my house the following monday night, it stings pretty bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aidanring45

And also I'm Aidan,

The bikes of myself and my brother were stolen out of the side passage of our house on St. Lawrence Road on the evening of Monday 07/04/14 just gone.

Mine: Voodoo Marasa hybrid, twenty inch black and gold frame with some pretty cool trippy gold lettering, front and back mudguards, Kryptonite U-Lock attached to frame, 2 empty brackets for lights on the saddle bar and front handlebars.

My brother's: Yellow Carrera TF1 racer, that's all I know.

I would have loved to catch that assh*le doin it!

Get onto me with any info,

Thanks, PM pnly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

And also I'm Aidan,

The bikes of myself and my brother were stolen out of the side passage of our house on St. Lawrence Road on the evening of Monday 07/04/14 just gone.

Mine: Voodoo Marasa hybrid, twenty inch black and gold frame with some pretty cool trippy gold lettering, front and back mudguards, Kryptonite U-Lock attached to frame, 2 empty brackets for lights on the saddle bar and front handlebars.

My brother's: Yellow Carrera TF1 racer, that's all I know.

I would have loved to catch that asshole doin it!

Get onto me with any info,

Thanks,

Just keep looking at adverts and done deal for bikes that look like yours. thats how i got my own back :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: PM only, no phone numbers, for your own good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Noticed this while unlocking my bike this morning outside our apartment on Merrion Rd.

Was a Trek road bike - not sure who the owner is but was a bit of a heartbreaker to see it none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Noticed this while unlocking my bike this morning outside our apartment on Merrion Rd.

Was a Trek road bike - not sure who the owner is but was a bit of a heartbreaker to see it none the less.

Saw a girl carrying her wheelless bike in Dublin City centre on Thursday last. She was dressed in commuting gear so looked like she parked her bike and two wheels were whipped. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

RunRoryRun wrote: »

Terrible for the owner alright and the fault is firmly with the thief etc etc but that is a spectacularly bad way to secure a bike. The helpful landlord riveting those brackets to the wall wasn't very helpful - the thief will probably be back for more easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

The only saving grace for the racks is that they are 10ft from the front door of the building - facing them directly. Unless it's a very quick grab and go, their location is a deterrent. In the last 18 months since I've been there, this is the first theft as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

All you have to do is pop a back wheel off - even with an allen key bolt that's 10 second's work. At the same time, I suppose most thieves wouldn't bother nicking a junker without the back wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Bike stolen from Drury street car park a few weeks ago. Got a new bike and a lock that's worth almost as much and continue to use that car park. I was told by security my bike was in a blind spot so CCTV was useless. The blind spot is right in the centre of the car park in direct view of the camera in case anyone is wondering.

But anyway I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done to make that car park a bit safer. According to reports from the guards it's a regular occurrence. It's obviously a gold mine for people going in snipping locks daily. Surely it wouldn't take much for a quick patrol by the security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Expecting fat lazy good for nothings to do their job is a bit much in this day and age. The SUN won't read itself for God's sake.

this_time wrote: »
    Bike stolen from Drury street car park a few weeks ago. Got a new bike and a lock that's worth almost as much and continue to use that car park. I was told by security my bike was in a blind spot so CCTV was useless. The blind spot is right in the centre of the car park in direct view of the camera in case anyone is wondering.

But anyway I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done to make that car park a bit safer. According to reports from the guards it's a regular occurrence. It's obviously a gold mine for people going in snipping locks daily. Surely it wouldn't take much for a quick patrol by the security guard.

First step would be to use a lock that can't be 'snipped'.

Use two or three different style locks, and use them properly. A bike will still be nicked, but it probably won't be yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

endacl wrote: »
    First step would be to use a lock that can't be 'snipped'.

Use two or three different style locks, and use them properly. A bike will still be nicked, but it probably won't be yours.

You're right. I have a Kryponite U lock now that would require a serious tool to cut it which should be enough of a deterrent.

• Advertisement

this_time wrote: »
    You're right. I have a Kryponite U lock now that would require a serious tool to cut it which should be enough of a deterrent.

The scum are equipped with serious tools though! That's why you need a second lock. To beat the scummer who only brought a bolt cutter and left his grinder at home. Or vice versa.

I park up all over town, using a Krypto New York fahgeddaboutit and an Abus Bordo Granit Xplus. Plus a cable. That's nearly three hundred quids worth right there, but my bike's never been attempted, while others have been taken from the same stand. The locks are cheaper than a new bike, and can be used on another when I get one. A sound investment!!

Throw 'Hal Ruzal' into your YouTube machine to see some excellent and very entertaining vids on bike locks and locking technique.

Also, if you're wandering around town and see a busted lock lying on the ground, take a closer look. Betcha it was a crap lock, 9 times out if 10.

Advertisement