Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

@TireeTerror thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Guys I'd appreciate if you could keep an eye out for a friends bike that was nicked during the week

Hi all can we keep an eye for one of our members bikes please, it was stolen from the "lock up" at her apartment

It's an Avanti Giro 3 - below is a picture of her bike outside a shed and the other is a better pic for viewing!
    The only difference is it now has black bar tape on it! It's actually a mans bike.

312138.jpg

312139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How many months has it been since any bike was recovered in this thread?

Just noticed a load of damage around the keyhole of my orange Kryptonite Evolution today, not sure when it happened but looks like someone was trying to jam a screwdriver in there and cracked the plastic rain cover, probably not a professional.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thargor wrote: »
    How many months has it been since any bike was recovered in this thread?

Just noticed a load of damage around the keyhole of my orange Kryptonite Evolution today, not sure when it happened but looks like someone was trying to jam a screwdriver in there and cracked the plastic rain cover, probably not a professional.

Think there was one or two this year that posted back to say it was recovered.

Hard to know though, most people probably wouldn't bother posting back if it was recovered.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mine wasn't recovered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I had a bike stolen AND recovered in the same post a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Nick from Belfield Office Park Clonskeagh , Beaver row this afternoon 12:47 to be precise from a colleage of mine - let me know if its spotted anywhere

only 6 days old:

311589.JPG

It is quite the hotspot around Clonskeagh isn't it?It's obviously been seen as easy pickings and the thieves are being kept informed; I'd say by someone working there.
    A few hidden cameras wouldn't go amiss. Either way every company around there should get together and do something about the level of bike theft.
    It is ridiculous.

It is quite the hotspot around Clonskeagh isn't it?It's obviously been seen as easy pickings and the thieves are being kept informed; I'd say by someone working there.
    A few hidden cameras wouldn't go amiss. Either way every company around there should get together and do something about the level of bike theft.
    It is ridiculous.

Yep 4 last week I believe - infairness the company I work for provides a locked cage for bikes - not sure why he didn't use it - culprit was caught on 7 different cameras with no good stills of him whatsoever - either way I've added a ABUS Granite X-Plus to my arsenal - that and a Oxford squarecut hardened chain should stop them in their tracks.

Doubt there is an inside man - I always see great bikes parked with pound shop locks up there about the placce - shocking really

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brian.geekboy

the bike in the picture was mine.... reason I did not use the bike cage (that day) was its been overloaded and has been impossible to get a space in there, so was forced to put it into a common area. Having seen the footage of the criminal steeling it - its clear he is a professional . Very quick to bolt cut away the lock (80euro BTW) and confidentially cycle away without raising his head at any camera. as a matter of interest he had a distinct t-shirt and backpack. I don't expect to hear from the garda - despite prints being on the sh&&t box he cycled in to take mine on and leave behind.

the bike in the picture was mine.... reason I did not use the bike cage (that day) was its been overloaded and has been impossible to get a space in there, so was forced to put it into a common area. Having seen the footage of the criminal steeling it - its clear he is a professional . Very quick to bolt cut away the lock (80euro BTW) and confidentially cycle away without raising his head at any camera. as a matter of interest he had a distinct t-shirt and backpack. I don't expect to hear from the garda - despite prints being on the sh&&t box he cycled in to take mine on and leave behind.

hope you get some luck getting it back Brian - seems to be too common nowadays, unfortunately a friend of mines bike was taken during the week - my second post in this thread in a week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

the bike in the picture was mine.... Very quick to bolt cut away the lock (80euro BTW) and confidentially cycle away without raising his head at any camera. as a matter of interest he had a distinct t-shirt and backpack.

What lock were you using? It's always worth reiterating that any cable type lock should NEVER be used as a primary lock as they are too easily overcome by small tools. I think bike shops should advise strongly against these locks for people buying new bikes.

Sadly it was the poor lock in the picture of the trek 7.4 there. I had been using a decent u lock for years and decided to go with this new one.

Ive emailed facilities in work today to ask them to explain how manned security, cctv and an underground carpark with barriers seems to be no deterrent to consistently successful bike thieves out here in beech hill in clonskeagh

I might suggest that they forget about security and the expense thereof and just insure our bikes for us- at least we'd get something that way.

I had hoped that the company would send out an email to the staff and alert them to the fact bikes are being stolen.
    Ive emailed facilities in work today to ask them to explain how manned security, cctv and an underground carpark with barriers seems to be no deterrent to consistently successful bike thieves out here in beech hill in clonskeagh

I might suggest that they forget about security and the expense thereof and just insure our bikes for us- at least we'd get something that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skuldintape

Hi guys, couldn't find a stolen bike thread so I hope this is in the right place.

My bike was stolen yesterday outside my workplace in Damastown, just past Blanchardstown. I bought it yesterday, it was a replacement after I got hit by a car 2 weeks ago which wrecked my previous bike. I'm really upset, as you can imagine. If anybody spots it around or sees it on adverts or donedeal could they please let me know. It's a brand new Giant Rapid 4, black and white with cages on the pedals.

I can't post pictures of URLS because I'm a relatively new user but if you google Giant Rapid 4 you will see it.

Thanks for looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LeBrique

Hi,

My beloved Peugeot Perthus Pro was stolen from my home in Rathfarnham last night. I am absolutely devastated at the loss of this bike.

The bike is very distinctive and is probably the only of it's kind in the country. It has yellow tyres, a grey frame with yellow and orange decals, chrome forks, toe clip pedals and quick release wheels.

If anybody can give any information please contact either myself:

<snip>

or Rathfarnham Gardai

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

check_six wrote: »
    What lock were you using? It's always worth reiterating that any cable type lock should NEVER be used as a primary lock as they are too easily overcome by small tools. I think bike shops should advise strongly against these locks for people buying new bikes.

Stolen bikes generate more sales as they need to be replaced.......I'm maybe just a bit cynical.

Anybody got any advice of shops to check for a stolen bike?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeBrique wrote: »
    Anybody got any advice of shops to check for a stolen bike?
    If anyone has, do not post any details here - suggesting that someone may handle stolen goods is not permitted here. Take your suspicions to the Gardai.

Any questions PM the mods - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

Sorry about that, wasn't actually what I meant.Was actually just wondering if anybody knew any shops who dealt in second hand bikes, I wasn't implying that the shops were at fault.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

My grey Jupiter Tuscan was taken from Maynooth Train station last night.
    Bike was left there over night, unfortunately!
    Bike is almost identical to this one:
    Stolen139S.jpg

Looks like other bikes may also have been stolen as there were bits of broken locks on the ground that werent part of my lock.

I had only recently purchased one of these locks as there was a failed attempt to rob it a couple of weeks ago.
    211-3228_PI_TPS1025029?wid=170&hei=170&$Offers$Via Velo Combination Lock (12mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

don't want to be a dick, but if you're going to lock a bike, use a real lock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RayCun wrote: »
    don't want to be a dick, but if you're going to lock a bike, use a real lock.

MOD VOICE: But yet you achieved it with minimal effort, read rule #3, post no.1, before posting again

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

My bike was stolen yesterday at Glencairn Luas stop, bike was a Carrera Zelos 2014 LTD. Bike was locked with an Abus I would appreciate any information on this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 John56

My bike was stolen from stairs of The Bay,elmpark,Dublin4 on Thursday 10th of July between 4.30 pm 9.00 am.
    The bike was Silverfox ,red and silver colour with hydraulic disc brakes.
    Theft was reported!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

hi my bike was stolen today thursday the 10-july outside swn leisure centre between 1215-1345 its a giant tcx cycle cross blue/black with white writing.. if any info please contact me or rathmines gardai thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Out of curiosity, what's the law about reclaiming a stolen bike after thirteen years? I've no intention of doing so but I had a bike stolen in summer 2001 and reported it to the Gardai at the time. I've seen it in the same place on a number of occasions over the last few weeks so obviously the current owner works in the area. It's a fairly unique looking bike and I'd be happy enough it's the same one due to other distinctive features although I didn't have a serial number to be fair.

If I went to the guards, would I be within my rights to get the bike back or is there an equivalent of squatter's rights given the amount of time that has passed. I'm just glad to see it's still getting some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Worth talking to the Guards about it but without something to prove it's yours like a receipt then you probably haven't got much legal right to claim it? Is the shop you bought it from still open, you could contact them and ask for a copy of your receipt and they might even have a record of the serial number?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MOD VOICE: Lets not advertise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I saw this last night by Bull and Castle, i.e. not my bike. The thief has tried to snap the lock by using the bike as a lever (like this) but the lock was stronger than the frame. It makes me think it would be safer to just lock through the back wheel inside the triangle, rather than also through the frame. That's actually what the Sheldon Method says ("A U-lock should go around the rear rim and tire, somewhere inside the rear triangle of the frame.") though I've always locked through the rear wheel and seat tube.

186fLb6l.jpg

Advertisement