Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Not wanting to be a victim blamer but every day around town see expensive bikes locked either with worthless locks or good locks used so badly as to make them almost pointless. Its a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

endacl wrote: »
    The scum are equipped with serious tools though! That's why you need a second lock. To beat the scummer who only brought a bolt cutter and left his grinder at home. Or vice versa.

I park up all over town, using a Krypto New York fahgeddaboutit and an Abus Bordo Granit Xplus. Plus a cable. That's nearly three hundred quids worth right there, but my bike's never been attempted, while others have been taken from the same stand. The locks are cheaper than a new bike, and can be used on another when I get one. A sound investment!!

Throw 'Hal Ruzal' into your YouTube machine to see some excellent and very entertaining vids on bike locks and locking technique.

Also, if you're wandering around town and see a busted lock lying on the ground, take a closer look. Betcha it was a crap lock, 9 times out if 10.

the forghettaboudit is a serious piece of kit (and heavy!). I've one too backed up with a cheaper kryptonite series 2 to stop leveraging attacks and keep my wheels safe and two locks are a good deterrent. however, I'm curious why you're not at risk to a thief who only has a grinder. surely an angle grinder will cut through any of your locks with ease? also, I've seen videos online of u locks cut through with bolt cutters within seconds (sadly including the forghettaboudit :-( ). what locks are supposed to be only susceptible to one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

browsing wrote: »
    also, I've seen videos online of u locks cut through with bolt cutters within seconds (sadly including the forghettaboudit :-( )

Wow can you post them? Can't imagine a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit being cut by bolt cutters, must be some heavy duty bolt cutters :eek:
    Grinder will indeed cut through anything though unfortunately :(

Wow can you post them? Can't imagine a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit being cut by bolt cutters, must be some heavy duty bolt cutters :eek:
    Grinder will indeed cut through anything though unfortunately :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdugFzCi24
    new york fahgettaboudit went in just 11 seconds @7:34 :eek:

Granted it is a HUGE bolt cutters and it's not the D-lock but I presume with smaller ones you could do it in less than 30 seconds still to the d-lock version? I think you're better off than most with the fahgettaboudi, I think it's a huge deterrent because of its size. I'm usually quite confident when locking it in town there are weaker locks used around me. still scary though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What stops bike theft is the understanding that bicycles are not profitable things to steal and sell. The problem isn't locks, it's lack of prosecutions for bike theft coupled with the willingness of people to buy stolen goods (and lack of prosecutions for buying stolen goods too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Horrible to hear about all the bike thefts, something i found useful when trying to get a stolen bike back was to set up a google alert http://www.google.ie/alerts. You basically put the model of your bike in or similar keywords and set it to region Ireland and google send you an email when any of the key words are listed on a new web page.

That said, keep an eye on adverts etc as well. Find it so disappointing that so many people will buy a second hand bike without asking for proof of purchase. The more people who buy stolen bikes the more of a market there is! Anyway rant over, hope the google alert is of help to someone....

xalot wrote: »
    Horrible to hear about all the bike thefts, something i found useful when trying to get a stolen bike back was to set up a google alert http://www.google.ie/alerts. You basically put the model of your bike in or similar keywords and set it to region Ireland and google send you an email when any of the key words are listed on a new web page.

That said, keep an eye on adverts etc as well. Find it so disappointing that so many people will buy a second hand bike without asking for proof of purchase. The more people who buy stolen bikes the more of a market there is! Anyway rant over, hope the google alert is of help to someone....

That's a pretty interesting method, I'd never heard of that before.
    Would you walk away from a bike without a proof of purchase?
    I don't have a proof of purchase for my good bike which I bought new.

I didn't even think of asking for one when I bought my current trainer/commuter either. I did try to suss him out though, i.e. I met him in his house etc. and he was also selling it with cycling shorts/lock etc so it all seemed legit. I wonder how many would keep the proof of purchase. I suppose it'd help confirm it's not stolen alright.

[QUOTE=
    Would you walk away from a bike without a proof of purchase?
    I don't have a proof of purchase for my good bike which I bought new.

[/QUOTE]

I would walk away now (but that's after two stolen bikes) before I would have presumed all sellers were legit, unfortunately before that i would have trusted people a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Two bikes stolen overnight from the glasnevin area. one a black specialized langster with 105 brake calipers and the other a ridgeback genesis satin grey colour. I have no picture of the ridgeback but its similar to this one, except mine had a rear rack. A picture of the Langster is attached.

s640ridgebackgenesisday01grey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

The multiple locks strategy is just (for me) to slow em down. I figure they might not choose my bike, with three different style locks, because it will take more time, and just move on to whoever has only one down the line.
    I know it could still be stolen, and I still have an anxious feeling whenever I leave my bike locked in town for more than an hour or two, lol.

I suffer from post-traumatic-stolen-bike -stress syndrome ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

browsing wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdugFzCi24
    new york fahgettaboudit went in just 11 seconds @7:34 :eek:

Granted it is a HUGE bolt cutters and it's not the D-lock but I presume with smaller ones you could do it in less than 30 seconds still to the d-lock version? I think you're better off than most with the fahgettaboudi, I think it's a huge deterrent because of its size. I'm usually quite confident when locking it in town there are weaker locks used around me. still scary though.

Thats only the chain ffs,he didnt cut the lock.Good luck getting threw one without an angle grinder!even then you will nearly use a full cutting disk!

Thats only the chain ffs,he didnt cut the lock.Good luck getting threw one without an angle grinder!even then you will nearly use a full cutting disk!

It is the chain actually, I thought it was the lock! I presume you could get through the lock too though with a hefty bolt cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Hi folks, I am offering a reward for the return of a bike stolen from McBride station today. It is a red Felt Q820 mountain bike. Reported to Gardai, but not much they can do. Guys in train station currently going through CCTV. Bike was locked with two rope locks, locking both wheels and frame to the bike rack. One was cut and left, the other, a combo lock, nowhere to be seen.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My fathers bike was stolen in Dublin city center yesterday. If anybody spots it might give me a shout. Reward offered. Grey, folding model as below.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.halfway.2.city/11835/56817/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Our club chairman's 2006 Blur LT was stolen from Clane last night, aftermarket, one off paint job, syndicate decals, don't have much info on group set etc, but will edit post as soon as I have the info to hand.
    image_zps964f5038.jpg

image_zpsd9af37ad.jpg

Santa Cruz Blur LT, Red Hope M4 brakes, Gold Hope Hubs on 819s Intense Tyres 2.3, XTR group set with XT crankset, Fox Talas 150 silver, Thomson layback seat-post THE saddle, Black hope stem with blue face plate.
    If people can keep their eyes out for it, it's not easy to miss.

Just to update this thread, bike was recovered after being sold on adverts, bought by a lad in a lbs who when he saw the owners name engraved on the discs, recognised the name and returned it to him loosing his money and bike in the process. Even worked on it to repair damage that had been caused by the idiots who had it. Good to see things being returned to people thanks to the honesty of others.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I thought this would be a good place to post that the Garda Press Office have setup a Flickr page today of recovered items they hope to return to their original owners. There are a number of bikes featured, so may be worth checking out for anyone on this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157644383336951/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

delly wrote: »
    I thought this would be a good place to post that the Garda Press Office have setup a Flickr page today of recovered items they hope to return to their original owners. There are a number of bikes featured, so may be worth checking out for anyone on this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157644383336951/

Was gonna post a new thread on this some of the bikes are very distinctive

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/14027090976/in/set-72157644383336951/

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

2 bikes stolen from our shed in Dublin 7. One a ladies purple hybrid Cannondale quick womens 5. The other BH series silver sierra nevada mountain bike.

BYCDM4QUK5FMDPUR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Reported to Gardai, but not much they can do.

They could be doing this for a start.
    Guys in train station currently going through CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

IMG_20131101_151816.jpg

Bike: Trek 7.5 FX (either 17.5 or 20 in frame, i dont remember )
    Stolen from: Temple Bar, bike stand near rorys tackle shop, Dublin, approx 2 weeks ago, during daytime

Special markings:
    There is a major dent in the top tube (crossbar). In the picture its hidden where the pump is. You cant miss the dent.

Had 16 led lights in rear wheel, although these turn on only during night.
    695048241_285.jpg

Front wheel was changed to Botanger SSR. So rear wheel is black and front is silver with fewer spokes. $_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

IMG_20131101_152014.jpgIMG_20131101_151931.jpgIMG_20131101_151832.jpgIMG_20131101_151816.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

Would it be worth insuring a bike against theft,if anyone has done so,roughly how much would it cost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jobseek wrote: »
    Would it be worth insuring a bike against theft,if anyone has done so,roughly how much would it cost

It's purely personal, it's about 10% of the of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

jobseek wrote: »
    Your house insurance may cover it, but only up to €400 or so. I'm with BOI and that's what they do. Not great if your bike is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 W31rd0

Hello all,

Stolen bike - taken on Fri 2/5/2014 from 9pm to 1:15am
    From front of Bull and Castle (Dublin, Ireland), locked to bike stands there. Right beside smokers area. Just catching security camera a little. Might be a good chance someone saw the thief/thieves taking the bike.

Specialized hybrid Hardrock frame.
    Black, silver pedals
    2 new marathon tyres.
    Silver bell on left of handlebars,
    right gear shift plastic broken and fixed with clear plastic and black duct tape.
    Rear red light duct taped on with silver tape
    Gears and chain worn, need work. Brakes worn. Wheels worn.
    Light black carrier on back with green and yellow bungee, light mudguards front and back

Very slim chance of any news I know but please pass info on and keep and eye out.
    Thanks to staff in Bull&Castle Fri night and to the Gardaí.
    Thanks all!

James.

No Pants wrote: »
    Your house insurance may cover it, but only up to €400 or so. I'm with BOI and that's what they do. Not great if your bike is worth more.

My household policy covers my bike up to €1000. It's through a broker so not sure who the cover is with but they paid out with no issues on a previous stolen bike. It's worth shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

xalot wrote: »
    My household policy covers my bike up to €1000. It's through a broker so not sure who the cover is with but they paid out with no issues on a previous stolen bike. It's worth shopping around.

Aye - Liberty Insurance covered the full value of two stolen bikes (less an excess) for me, even though they were taken from a garden shed and were not listed on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoboRat

My Bike was stolen last Friday in Portlaoise, broke into the house and took it along with a few other things. Its a red and white 2012 Defy 4 (triple), size 4. Its pretty customised as I cmost of the gearing so now it has:

FSA Tempo, 30/42/52 Crank
    Shimano 105 5600 Triple 10 Speed STI Lever
    Shimano Ultegra 6600 10 Speed Road Cassette
    Shimano 105 5701 10 Speed Rear Mech - GS - Medium Cage
    Shimano 105 5603 Triple 10sp Front Mech - Braze On - Silver

It also has:
    Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Road Wheelset
    Armadillo tyres
    Red/ White carbon bottle holders

Might still have the cycle inn stickers on it and also cycle4life sticker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Corratec Dolomiti 105 (exactly as shown in image below)

i.imgur.com/QeZaW1f.jpg

(Cant post links/images as a new user but copy-paste above url to see the image. If mods could add image-tags it would be appreciated)

Stolen last night between monday/tuesday 5-6.5 from locked private underground car park at Dublin 9. Location is only accessible with either remote for garage doors or PIN-code for the door. Kryptonite Evo S4-locks that I used to anchor the bike to bikeloops (that are bolted securely to concrete) were cut off clean with angle grinder, no other bikes were stolen.

Will add more pics/info later on if it would help.

Advertisement