Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

thanks pinch flat, i'm spreading the word through all avenues.. keeping the eyes peeled for peeling paint....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Hi guys, DKIT and OFI had few backpacks and bikes stolen today. Few more bikes were stolen last week also. It happened around 2:30PM today, 3 kids came in with hoodies and wire cutters and drove off within seconds.
    One of bikes was mine - Gray Trax TR.1 with yellow/black text on it. Additionally I had installed low profile long mud guards, gray frame bottle holder and there were 2 clippings installed on a seat tube - one to hold blinking light and second one to hold a safety chain. Clippings are quite obvious.
    The kid who drove off with my bike had blue hoodie was captured on camera and was recognized as one of previous ofi students.

I know that bike does not cost that much, but it took me a lot of savings to afford it.
    Guys/Girls, if you know anything at all, please contact me trough PM or garda, any additional information would be super helpful.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Nightmare, will keep an eye out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

111 pages of stolen bikes:eek:. Jesus wept.
    It begs the question and I'm not trying to be smart in anyway, are the gardai making any effort to stop this? I happen to work in town and the amount of junkies wandering about with high end bikes is unreal.

raymix wrote: »
    Hi guys, DKIT and OFI had few backpacks and bikes stolen today. Few more bikes were stolen last week also. It happened around 2:30PM today, 3 kids came in with hoodies and wire cutters and drove off within seconds.
    One of bikes was mine - Gray Trax TR.1 with yellow/black text on it.
    The kid who drove off with my bike had blue hoodie was captured on camera and was recognized as one of previous ofi students....

Update:
    I was called out to garda station in the morning, they have found a red/silver bike that was lying on a field, its chain was rusted. They thought it was mine, but my bike is only 2 weeks old or so. Wanted to share if any of you are missing one.

Got a second call few hours later and YES! they have indeed found my bike!!! It was recovered last night together with few other bikes from some house. If any of you or your friends (or kids) got their bikes stolen in campus recently, check in with Garda.

Also they had parking lot full with BMX and lots of kid-sized bikes, various brands. Again - if any of you are missing a bike, go check it before they get auctioned.

The bike is now home safe and sound, looking online to get some real good lock this time that can't be cut with bolt cutters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hi guys, DKIT and OFI had few backpacks and bikes stolen today.
    The kid who drove off with my bike had blue hoodie was captured on camera and was recognized as one of previous ofi students.

Google tells me that DKIT is Dundalk Institute of Technology, but what's OFI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ofiach college im guessing its on the same campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I came across this video through twitter, thought it gave some decent advice on keeping your bike safe; http://www.dublincycling.ie/AvoidTheThief

moonshadow wrote: »
    Ofiach college im guessing its on the same campus.

You are guessing correct, campus is simply split with a small metal fence. O'fiaich is a college for younger peeps, but they also do fetac 5 courses in separate building for adults who aim to get into DKIT.
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    I came across this video through twitter, thought it gave some decent advice on keeping your bike safe; http://www.dublincycling.ie/AvoidTheThief

Found that one too, the particular lock he is showing can be cut with proper bolt cutters or even opened by a BIC pen (as revealed by youtube). Most of orange ones also getting bad reviews of them getting jammed after few uses
    Think I'll be getting the newest Kryptonite model - yellow ones, altho ironically they cost almost the price of my bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Our club chairman's 2006 Blur LT was stolen from Clane last night, aftermarket, one off paint job, syndicate decals, don't have much info on group set etc, but will edit post as soon as I have the info to hand.
    image_zps964f5038.jpg

image_zpsd9af37ad.jpg

Santa Cruz Blur LT, Red Hope M4 brakes, Gold Hope Hubs on 819s Intense Tyres 2.3, XTR group set with XT crankset, Fox Talas 150 silver, Thomson layback seat-post THE saddle, Black hope stem with blue face plate.
    If people can keep their eyes out for it, it's not easy to miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 adser

Hello Everyone My 54 inch Black and Gold Kite bike made by create was stolen from my house on friday in the Kilmacud area if anyone sees it please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hi all,

My Felt qx was stolen from my garden last night in Clondalkin. Snipped the lock.

Reported to Gardai and gave the serial and photo, also had my name and number engraved underneath.

Whats the chances of getting it back? Heard its something like 90% of stolen bikes are never found. Anyone got any tips on trying to track it down?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Keep an eye on donedeal, buy and sell, adverts etc. It might turn up there and if you have your name and number engraved then you can prove it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Know its not the same thing but had my motorbike stolen one year.

Found it 6 weeks later in the buy and sell.

Caught the guys who did it and got my bike back (plus compo after 8 days in court trying to get the case heard)

Check all the usual places i.e done deal, buy and sell etc, you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Know its not the same thing but had my motorbike stolen one year.

Found it 6 weeks later in the buy and sell.

Caught the guys who did it and got my bike back (plus compo after 8 days in court trying to get the case heard)

Check all the usual places i.e done deal, buy and sell etc, you just never know.

Nice one. What punishment did they get. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Nice one. What punishment did they get. Fair play.

They got fined and a years suspended sentence.

Its my pub story...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its my pub story...

I am guessing the fine was less than the value of the bike?

Good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Hi all,

My Felt qx was stolen from my garden last night in Clondalkin. Snipped the lock.

Reported to Gardai and gave the serial and photo, also had my name and number engraved underneath.

Whats the chances of getting it back? Heard its something like 90% of stolen bikes are never found. Anyone got any tips on trying to track it down?

Thanks

sorry to hear about the bike , i go through Clondalkin so will keep my eye out

where did you get the engraving done?

Euro Fred wrote: »
    sorry to hear about the bike , i go through Clondalkin so will keep my eye out

where did you get the engraving done?

Cheers

Lidl sold a nice little electric engraver last year for 12 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

I am disappoint.
    You mean you are a disappointment... :pac:

browsing wrote: »
    You mean you are a disappointment... :pac:

nope

some examples here

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

Egg on face!
    I am disappoint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davidoc

We had two bikes stolen from our garden shed in Clonsilla, some time between 12:00 Sun 16th Feb and 22:30 on Wed 19th Feb. The thieves just forced the bolt on the shed. Unfortunately, the bikes were not locked to anything inside the shed: kicking myself, as I used to be more paranoid.

The bikes were:

Trek 7.5 FX (Mens) hybrid, 2010 model, nickel colour
    • Clipless pedals
    • Brownish stain on crossbar
    • ABUS lock (black) on upright
    • Black plastic mudguards
    • Black pannier rack
    • secure allen-key skewers
    Manufacturer's photo:
    1BnfW0Zl.jpg

Giant Escape 3 city (Womens), 2011 model, black colour
    • Bracket (black with red button) for child seat on upright.
    • Basket on handlebars.
    Manufacturer's photo:
    C5BbUxPl.jpg

We've reported to Blanchardstown Garda station...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

I had my bike stolen from the underground car park in the Kilns, Station Road Portmarnock, some time between 07:00 Fri 21st Feb and 20:00 on Sun 23rd Feb. The thieves sheered 2 locks off (using bolt cutters / angle grinder).

The bike was:

- Giant Escape 3 (Mens) hybrid, 2013 model, red colour
    - ABUS lock (black)
    - Chain lock (black)

Manufacturer photograph attached below. Theft was reported to Malahide Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lisia

My bike was stolen from the underground car park of the Links, Elm Park, Dublin 4 on Friday 28th of February, most likely between 08:00 and 20:30.

The bike was

Focus Arriba 105 for Ladies, with hydraulic Disc Brakes. Attached a picture of a similar bike.
    focus.jpg

Theft was reported to Donnybrook Garda Station.
    I have the serial number of the bike.

Feeling sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I feel sad for you, that *stolen bike* feeling really sucks :( I hope they catch the lowlifes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 interpolgp

Had my Bike stolen on the 21st of February from ELM COURT went to the Guards in Donnybrook as I found it on adverts.ie and the phone number of the guy who stole it.

Needless to say they didn't want to help.

Advertisement