Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Ok, I feel pretty stupid having to post this. My unlocked Ridley Crosswind cyclocross bike was stolen from my shed in Dublin 8 some time in the last 3 weeks. I was away, 2 locked bikes in shed weren't taken. The Ridley should have been locked too but due to various distractions I forgot to lock it so I have myself to blame for that.

So in the slim chance anyone comes across it here's a picture. Identifying features would be white saddle, cyclocross tyres, single front chainring, carbon bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Not the usual stolen bike post - thankfully - but I think it suits the thread.

Spotted some time ago in Rathmines - this was the only lock I've found on this bike. Checked twice.

kryp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

declanrob wrote: »
    Thanks to all for posting. I can't believe it I got it back.

I have the name of the guy and the CCTV of him doing it. A friend in the area knew straight away who did it and got it back.

My lock was intact- that is scary. I don't know how these guys do it.

Off to the guards.

Thanks everyone.

I need to contact this guy somehow, my bike's been stolen from there a few days ago.
    I hope he reported it to the guards so they can get on to whoever it was.
    The place had no CCTV of mine getting taken unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sherrier70

Felt z100 road bike stolen today 21/01/2014 outside Adam Gayle hair salon abbeylands, windtown road, navan contact me via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

For starters Mods feel free to delete if off topic but I still wanted to take a minute to thank the DIT Bolton St security staff who last week barely managed to save my bike from being robbed from the college car park. The thieves made off with someone else's only an hour previously. Just before being chased out of the carpark by security, the thieves, in an effort to get mine made a dog's dinner of the lock and front wheel by cutting the spokes with bolt cutters so they're both beyond repair and unable to be removed from the bike rack where it was stationed.

It's frustrating to say the least since I only had the bike fixed a few weeks ago and that I have to put off training for a long distance spin the college's cycling society is going on soon until I can get a new lock and wheel. Luckily however still have the overall bike back. In a way I'm glad it's given me the kick in the arse to use the bike enclosure plus bring more than one lock in future!

To finish off, I want to again thank the college security for not only saving the bike, but also for the advice they gave me to keep it more secure in future. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of the stolen bikes in the thread and let you know if I see any. Best of luck everyone.

1538679_650891168290566_362237633_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Alek wrote: »
    Spotted some time ago in Rathmines - this was the only lock I've found on this bike. Checked twice.

Hey, don't knock it - it's a
    Kryptonite lock - the shop person says it's the best one out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Debrii

Hi everyone.
    My beloved bike has been stolen. I have attached a picture of the model. Its an 80's white Raleigh Caprice with yellow flowers on the bar. It was taken in Cabra, D 7 from my back garden. Unfortunately it wasn't locked. This happened 2 days ago. If people could keep an eye out I would be very grateful as its very distinctive. I've put up posters and will check websites & bike shops, auctions etc. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Debrii wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    My beloved bike has been stolen. I have attached a picture of the model. Its an 80's white Raleigh Caprice with yellow flowers on the bar. It was taken in Cabra, D 7 from my back garden. Unfortunately it wasn't locked. This happened 2 days ago. If people could keep an eye out I would be very grateful as its very distinctive. I've put up posters and will check websites & bike shops, auctions etc. Thank you.

It's a lovely bike, sorry for your loss :(
    And it's a pity you had to learn the lesson of always locking your bike the hard way.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

sherrier70 wrote: »
    Felt z100 road bike stolen today 21/01/2014 outside Adam Gayle hair salon abbeylands, windtown road, navan contact me via PM

I seen on Facebook last night that this was returned to the owner. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Debrii

Amazingfun wrote: »
    It's a lovely bike, sorry for your loss :(
    And it's a pity you had to learn the lesson of always locking your bike the hard way.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the support. I've had it a long time so trying to remain hopeful I might get it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/family-delight-as-autistic-boys-stolen-bicycle-is-returned-29944650.html

Read this in the Indo today, no link or association with the little guy, but great to see a good end to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/family-delight-as-autistic-boys-stolen-bicycle-is-returned-29944650.html

Read this in the Indo today, no link or association with the little guy, but great to see a good end to this story.

Yeah, it proves that even bike thieves can be good at heart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah, it proves that even bike thieves can be good at heart.
    I imagine the bike was unmistakeable and they knew they would never shift it, possibly easier to drop it back than get caught dumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I had my saddle bag swiped the other day from an underground carpark in work. The security guys went over the video and spotted the culprit. Guy rolled in on a bike with a backpack, and, ...wait for it..., a hi-vis jacket. Apparently this guy has been lurking around before. Can't wait to have a look at the tape, I knew those hi-vis fellas were wrong un's!

The bag had a spare tube, a cheapo rusty multitool, and a couple of patches, glue, cable ties, etc. Nothing irreplaceable, but a bit of a pain to gather the bits together from scratch again. Also, the bag is booger all use to him without the bracket, so a bit of a pointless theft, unless he really wanted a used 23mm tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robpolly

Hi guys

Just to advise that my < 2 months Boardman MX race was stolen from my shed over the weekend in Blessington. Its absolutely mint and only covered 50 kms. A couple of sheds done - they got lucky. If anyone sees it for sale or is offered it be vigilant. I have original receipts and serial no so happy for any help in getting this back. Thanks.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 makospeed

Hi, my felt curbside 2012 (yellow frame, blue handlebars) stolen from place of work today jan 28 2014. Bike was locked in our underground carpark bike rack, which is CCTV monitored just off nassau street, Dublin 2. Brazen individual clamly walked into underground carpark and snipped the lock and headed off with some difficulty given I have small cleats. Anyway reported to guards and ISR site. Thanks aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Yellowknifer

Bike stolen today at exactly 14:53 from bike racks at corner by RCSI and that new office building, right across from Stephen's Green Luas station. Gardai have cctv footage of the guy who waited around the corner between 14:36 and 14:53 when he cut the lock, re-attached the front wheel and cycled off in the direction of Harcourt Street. Bike is a red and white racing bike, the Dawes Giro 300 http://www.dawescycles.com/p-150-giro-300.aspx . Seat is partially ripped but they may of course change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Hi guys not sure if this goes here but here goes my LBS Kilmallock Cycles was robbed last Sunday/Monday with the thieves mainly taking high end Giant TCRs and Defy advanced/composites along with every component that goes with them, place was cleaned out took all the good stuff and left the lesser stuff.

If anyone hears of high end Giants going a too good a price please contact Kilmallock Garda 06398018

Guy who owns the shop is a good guy who still cycles and has done a huge amount of work locally promoting cycling long before he even opened shop

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Just came across this ad tonight and thought it might be of some interest to followers of this thread. I know no more than what's in the link but I wouldn't mind owning one or two of these.
    Might deserve a thread of it's own.

http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=CPC&mkwid=cQQBqKynR&pcrid=32630640054&pkw=&pmt=&pdv=c

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twerton

Taken from farm outbuilding near Knocknagree last week.

Some farm equipment went as well but it's losing the bike that hurts

Burnt orange colour with Richey classic seatpost /stem

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dewindygap wrote: »
    Just came across this ad tonight and thought it might be of some interest to followers of this thread. I know no more than what's in the link but I wouldn't mind owning one or two of these.
    Might deserve a thread of it's own.

http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=CPC&mkwid=cQQBqKynR&pcrid=32630640054&pkw=&pmt=&pdv=c
    Already been covered twice in this thread and also had a separate thread a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Ooops, apologies. Remove it so, or can I?

Ahh just found it. Was on holidays when it was posted. Surprised how little reaction it got.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No prolem with it being mentioned again, just don't think we need another separate thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14 1Caroline

This bike was stolen from Lennox Street in Dublin on Thursday 30/1/14. It's a Dutch make - Batavus- women's city bike. Upright style, green and black, mud guards, carrier, chain guard, splash guard, lights and stand incorporated. Can't afford to replace it but will give a reward. Need it for college and work. Here's a photo. Thanks for any help.

For anyone who's interested there's a link to photos on Flickr of bikes recovered by the Gardai on this page of dublincycling.com http://dublincycling.com/AvoidTheThief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

1Caroline wrote: »
    This bike was stolen from Lennox Street in Dublin on Thursday 30/1/14. It's a Dutch make - Batavus- women's city bike. Upright style, green and black, mud guards, carrier, chain guard, splash guard, lights and stand incorporated. Can't afford to replace it but will give a reward. Need it for college and work. Here's a photo. Thanks for any help.

For anyone who's interested there's a link to photos on Flickr of bikes recovered by the Gardai on this page of dublincycling.com http://dublincycling.com/AvoidTheThief

That sucks, it's a lovely bike :(

What kind of lock did you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 1Caroline

Amazingfun wrote: »
    That sucks, it's a lovely bike :(

What kind of lock did you have?

A chain to lock it to railings and a integrated back wheel one - both useless it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Saw some kids on the Dart travelling from Greystones to Bray this afternoon with a blue Trek mountain bike that I very strongly suspect was stolen. Rang Gardai about it and they have details. If you're missing such a bike from Greystones PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

STOLEN---- CANNONDALE XS800, CYCLOCROSS, YELLOW

My brother's long-owned, much depended on, through thick and thin, very particular looking Cannondale was stolen from him on Saturday night. He unlocked it, leaned it against a wall, went to talk to two friends across the street, turned around and it was gone! Of course, you shouldn't leave your bike unattended, but these things happen.

Area: Drury St
    When: Saturday night, 1st Feb
    Details:
    Yellow frame, Campag mirage 9 speed with triple chainset on the front. Deore XT cantis, Aksium on the back and a ceramic open pro on the front on a campag hub. Armadillos. Cannondale's old suspension lock-out system on the fork.

As I say, very attached, with him for over 10 years. Unlike many here, he only has the one bike.

The bike a very noticeable with the bright Yellow paint job, so we are hopeful of it being seen.

Please, If anyone spots it around PM me and we would be very grateful.

Many thanks

S25

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

And of course the pics. Image in kitchen is the actual bike, against the wall is from g.images

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

25sean wrote: »
    The bike a very noticeable with the bright Yellow paint job, so we are hopeful of it being seen.

I hope you get some luck with it, but unfortunately the local scummers seem to be handy with the black paint that's use to neutralise the look of the bike. Seen a load of bikes around painted black - you can male out the decal showing the make of the bike underneath.

Advertisement