Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some scumbag stole my Topeak Seatpost rack from my bike last night.

Was locked outside my office, just beside the Hilton in Kilmainham. You don't see a lot of these around so keep an eye out, especially in Dublin 8.

23968.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

daragh_ wrote: »
    Some scumbag stole my Topeak Seatpost rack from my bike last night.

Was locked outside my office, just beside the Hilton in Kilmainham. You don't see a lot of these around so keep an eye out, especially in Dublin 8.

23968.jpg

Someone took the valve cap off my rear wheel. It's a standard black plastic one. Was taken in Drury Street car park. If anyone sees one floating around, it's mine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Someone took the valve cap off my rear wheel. It's a standard black plastic one. Was taken in Drury Street car park. If anyone sees one floating around, it's mine. :rolleyes:

Excellent contribution Rory. Thanks for your help and stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

RunRoryRun wrote: »

Someone stole the 'serpent' - bungee cord - off my bike a few months ago. I mean, that person must have been severely deprived, or kleptomaniacally ill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If anyone also comes across a Racer style bike, the only identifying thing about it is that it already has a not so clean spray job on it, the frame is painted green and the forks are painted red. The wheels are not the regular steel/chrome coloured, the are black. There are no labels or anything else on it.

The thieves came back again during the night an got into the shed again.

:mad: bastards. Did they take more things?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Amazingfun wrote: »
    :mad: bastards. Did they take more things?

On thier first visit they took the CRS. On the second visit they took the racer.
    It never crossed my mind that they would come back a second time!

They didn't touch the Flymo lawnmower though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    On thier first visit they took the CRS. On the second visit they took the racer.
    It never crossed my mind that they would come back a second time!

They didn't touch the Flymo lawnmower though :)
    Without meaning to cause extra stress there is a fair chance they will be back again. They may leave it a bit (so that you can replace what was stolen) but there is a chance of a return.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Without meaning to cause extra stress there is a fair chance they will be back again. They may leave it a bit (so that you can replace what was stolen) but there is a chance of a return.

Thanks for that, completely aware that they most likely will be back at some stage.
    The plan is to put plenty of noisy wind chimes in the shed, and attach some bells to the door so it makes a racket when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I would rig the door with C4

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

They will definitely be back, could be next week or next year but they know your shed is a good mark. remove everything of any value to you from the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

A colleague got his bike back after it was stolen a few months back. He had reported the theft and had a few distinctive makings on the bike. Cops went and retrieved so there is hope. the thief had removed carrier and panniers, changed the saddle and the bars and stem but the distinctive markings gave it away when it was advertised for sale.

darconio wrote: »
    I would rig the door with C4

Or with a loud Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

If you can see the shed door from your house paint the inside white. This wsy it makes it easier to see if its been open in low light.
    You can get shed alarms that emit a loud noise only good if it is close enough for you to hearit though and needs to be put in a difficult to reach place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Really sorry to hear about the double theft

Some articles here that may be of interest to prevent similar

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bike-shed-security-part-1-21131/

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bike-shed-security-part-2-21414/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If I lived in Dublin I'd definitely buy this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Topcap looks like a good idea, the light one is stupid though, as your likely just to get someone stealing the light, constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Daroxtar wrote: »

Because bikes only get stolen in Dublin???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Because bikes only get stolen in Dublin???

In fairness the vast majority of reported bikes on here have been in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    In fairness the vast majority of reported bikes on here have been in Dublin.

No doubt due to a larger population??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Faith+1 wrote: »
    No doubt due to a larger population??:rolleyes:

Of waste-of-oxygen scumbags?

Yep.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 crompaun

Hi all,

Apologies to the admins beforehand if this is the wrong place to open this thread.

I had my bike stolen from outside of Café Fixx in Dawson Street/Molesworth St last Tuesday night, 17 December, at some time between 6.30 pm and 10.15 pm. It was a black Cannnondale Touring bike with white lettering and a "Handmade in USA" sticker beside the handlebar post. The bike is quite distinctive with drop handlebars, thick tyres and Blackburn front and rear pannier racks and a black Brooks saddle. The tyres are Schwalbe Marathon 37-622. I understand that it is a European Touring model and that Cannondale stopped making them a few years ago so I think it is quite rare in Ireland. I cycletoured across Italy and France on this bike as well as around Ireland and had nothing robbed until now. Also, the pedals are thick silver-coloured BMX pedals as I don't like cleats and never use them.

The thief used a boltcutters to cut the lock. I had another bike stolen in the same way from the bike racks next to the GPO and Penneys in O'Connell St during the summer.

I don't expect to get the bike back but I'm just putting some feelers out there in case someone sees it or it is offered to them to buy. I would be willing to give a reward for any information on this. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Did you report it to the Garda?

Yes, I did. I'm not expecting to get it back, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Ask Hueston station!

Was working security there a while back and we stop a fella on the Mullingar train that had a new bike 3/4 times a week. He was arrested by a Store Street off duty Garda who was there at the time. He was 4 foot nothing and couldn't eve ride half of the bikes.

CCTv showed him with all the bikes, he said he was buying them for friends :rolleyes:

Long shot but you never know, he came through with a lot of bikes and I still see him around.

Ask Hueston station!

Was working security there a while back and we stop a fella on the Mullingar train that had a new bike 3/4 times a week. He was arrested by a Store Street off duty Garda who was there at the time. He was 4 foot nothing and couldn't eve ride half of the bikes.

CCTv showed him with all the bikes, he said he was buying them for friends :rolleyes:

Long shot but you never know, he came through with a lot of bikes and I still see him around.

Thanks for that. I suspect by now that the bike has already been sold on. But I'll never leave a bike locked anywhere in town again. I've learned that lesson. I had two other bikes stolen in town. It seems that no lock will stop a thief with a strong boltcutters.

"…thieves have travelled great distances to steal bicycles" - true of San Francisco, so maybe true of Dublin?

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/dec/19/bike-thefts-at-bart-stations-are-up-dramatically/#ixzz2o4QoSmKB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just seen this on Facebook: Gent named Stephen O'Reilly posted the theft of his bike from shed, posted by mobile on 24th in Dublin. Steve's facebook message with photo of bike:If any one gets offered a bike like this a Fuji racer give us a shout it was robbed from my shed last week this is it if you could share it too cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

aloyisious wrote: »
    Just seen this on Facebook: Gent named Stephen O'Reilly posted the theft of his bike from shed, posted by mobile on 24th in Dublin. Steve's facebook message with photo of bike:If any one gets offered a bike like this a Fuji racer give us a shout it was robbed from my shed last week this is it if you could share it too cheers

I've it's twin so please don't pull me off it thinking it's his. :D

Haven't seen many about it's by no means a tdf winner but does the job.

Hope his turns up.

Advertisement