Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nnicu

Both bikes stolen in Bray over Christmas. The TT bike was apparently offered for sale in Finglas area last weekend:

Trek Equinox 11 (2007) Trek Equinox 11.jpg
    Full carbon frame
    Groupset: Full Shimano Dura-ace – brakes, shifters, levers, chain, cassette, derailleurs, etc
    Pedals: Look Keo Carbon
    Saddle: Selle Italia
    HandleBars: Profile Design U-bend carbon
    Size Medium (54)
    Garmin cadence sensor
    Wheels: The picture attached has a set of Zipp wheels on it. The bike actually had a set of Mavic Aksium training wheels on it when stolen but the Zipps were also stolen. Zipp 303 front and 404 rear

Giant TCR Alliance 1 Giant TCR Alliance 1.jpg
    Giant TCR Alliance 1 – carbon frame, alloy fork
    Groupset: Shimano 105
    Garmin cadence sensor
    Gatorskin Tyres
    No naff mudguard on as per picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stolen from the street/shed/house what? You dont often hear of it in Bray and there are a lot of nice bikes here (and scumbags). Sorry for the loss btw.

Thargor wrote: »
    Stolen from the street/shed/house what? You dont often hear of it in Bray and there are a lot of nice bikes here (and scumbags). Sorry for the loss btw.

Thanks Thargor. Stolen from garden shed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kiranbkishan

My Giant Defy 2 (2103-silver/blue) got stolen from st Vincents Hospital, nutley lane, Dublin, from the cage!! on December 20th 2013. Its just 7 months since i bought it. Its silver blue white combination bike. I cycled to work that morning but didn't cycle back to home!!!! badly stolen !!!

Once it fell down against the door and handle grip got torn on the left side. I repaired it using a black circular puncture sticker. you ll see it on left side of the handle (not in the bend but straight part of handle) . just in case anyone see it parked somewhere with a repair on handle. As soon as you see it please call me in<snip> PMs only
    I used it to commute to work everyday since i bought it. I am attached to it. please help if some one see my giant defy 2 road bike, silver white blue combination.

whoever took it , please return it to me. i can give you the money of the bike partially in 12 months time. :(

A bike i cant even dream to have it by paying ready cash!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My Giant Defy 2 (2103-silver/blue) got stolen from st Vincents Hospital, nutley lane, Dublin, from the cage!! on December 20th 2013. Its just 7 months since i bought it. Its silver blue white combination bike. I cycled to work that morning but didn't cycle back to home!!!! badly stolen !!!

Once it fell down against the door and handle grip got torn on the left side. I repaired it using a black circular puncture sticker. you ll see it on left side of the handle (not in the bend but straight part of handle) . just in case anyone see it parked somewhere with a repair on handle. As soon as you see it please call me in<snip> PMs only
    I used it to commute to work everyday since i bought it. I am attached to it. please help if some one see my giant defy 2 road bike, silver white blue combination.

whoever took it , please return it to me. i can give you the money of the bike partially in 12 months time. :(

It's truly sickening to here this and the post above. Theft of bikes must run into 100s thousands of euro each year and yet cops, government and local councils don't give a siht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

The question is why do none of the recovered bikes ever seem to be high end road bikes like the above that are stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

TonyStark wrote: »
    The question is why do none of the recovered bikes ever seem to be high end road bikes like the above that are stolen.

Most are probably stolen to order. As I said before on this thread I would not leave my bike ANYWHERE in public. The little scrotes have hand held angle grinders so no lock is safe.

I'm so paranoid I went on holidays last year and put my bike in the attic, Didn't care if they took TV's or the like, the wife thought I was nuts but it was still there when I got back, who's laughing now I said..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

not yet wrote: »
    Most are probably stolen to order. As I said before on this thread I would not leave my bike ANYWHERE in public. The little scrotes have hand held angle grinders so no lock is safe.

I'm so paranoid I went on holidays last year and put my bike in the attic, Didn't care if they took TV's or the like, the wife thought I was nuts but it was still there when I got back, who's laughing now I said..

I still lament my KTM strada being nicked from the shed, never will I keep a bike anywhere but in the house, let alone in a public place for any length of time. Once bitten as they say.

I still lament my KTM strada being nicked from the shed, never will I keep a bike anywhere but in the house, let alone in a public place for any length of time. Once bitten as they say.

Negotiations with herself on this point were useless until my 2 bikes were knicked from the garden shed (post from 9th above). She's actually suggested a few places indoors since. Now all I need is a bike...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After having my bikes nicked, I've been keeping an eye on adverts and donedeal....there are a few Giant Defy's on there added recently, you should take a look to see if any are yours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I had a commuter nicked from St. Vincents hospital about 4 years ago. Just outside the cage off the rack.
    That place is staked out for sure by thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

My KTM Strada 1000 was stolen last week from the underground car park bike rack in Spencer Dock Apartments.

I noticed that a moped was stolen the week before last (which is parked beside my bike rack) and mentioned it to the concierge / security. I also noticed that my bike was tampered with. Someone had taken off the quick release bolts from the wheels and tried to break the lock by twisting the frame.

I moved my bike to another rack on the other side of the underground car park to a more secure location. Went down this morning and my bike was gone. Both locks cut. Can't believe security weren't on top of this. The fact that I warned them in advance, and that someone could get in to the underground car park (which is ridiculously secure), walk around and cut 2 locks with a bolt cutters is beyond belief.

And yet it's a policy that bikes can't be on the balcony or or in the apartment. There really should be some form of management company insurance to cover these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

What locks did you have on your bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

_JOE_ wrote: »
    My KTM Strada 1000 was stolen last week from the underground car park bike rack in Spencer Dock Apartments.

I noticed that a moped was stolen the week before last (which is parked beside my bike rack) and mentioned it to the concierge / security. I also noticed that my bike was tampered with. Someone had taken off the quick release bolts from the wheels and tried to break the lock by twisting the frame.

I moved my bike to another rack on the other side of the underground car park to a more secure location. Went down this morning and my bike was gone. Both locks cut. Can't believe security weren't on top of this. The fact that I warned them in advance, and that someone could get in to the underground car park (which is ridiculously secure), walk around and cut 2 locks with a bolt cutters is beyond belief.

And yet it's a policy that bikes can't be on the balcony or or in the apartment. There really should be some form of management company insurance to cover these situations.

Those policies are bs. Take the wheels and saddle off and take the bits upstairs. There's no policy to say a resident can't keep bike components in their apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

They weren't kryptonite locks but pretty decent.

I don't think it mattered as it looked like my bike wasn't the only one taken. There were kryptonite chains cut in half down there.

Whoever did this knew exactly what they wanted and were well equipped.

Yeah, the policies are crazy. I'll have to do that when i get another bike. It's just a pain in the ass as i use my bike up to 5 times a week.

It's crazy to think that a bike isn't safe in an underground car park where there are numerous security guards patrolling. Especially considering the yearly management fee costs!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

_JOE_ wrote: »
    It's crazy to think that a bike isn't safe in an underground car park where there are numerous security guards patrolling. Especially considering the yearly management fee costs!
    Underground car parks are not great, despite common thinking, as soon as a thief is in there, they have some quiet time to take as long as they want to cut the locks during working hours or over night usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

CramCycle wrote: »
    Underground car parks are not great, despite common thinking, as soon as a thief is in there, they have some quiet time to take as long as they want to cut the locks during working hours or over night usually.

Yeah, ours isn't great and it looks like it's been hit again. People have stopped using it. We keep our bikes in the apartment now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If there's security in an underground car park, and bikes are going missing a lot, does that mean it's people who live there - and so wouldn't set off alarms in the security-men's minds - who are doing the stealing?
    I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was guarding a bike park and bikes were going missing!
    Maybe something like this would help http://www.tocatchabikethief.com/Our+Bait+Bike

If there's security in an underground car park, and bikes are going missing a lot, does that mean it's people who live there - and so wouldn't set off alarms in the security-men's minds - who are doing the stealing?
    In Dublin there are always either a) alot of former tenants with access b) it is code access and some scrott seen it over someones shoulder c) the security are there for insurance purposes but their only real job is to swipe a card at different points every few hours to prove they walked around, so long as it is not on their run and they can deny seeing it, they are fine d) it's just really poor security that can be easily overcome eg key to access but a button to get out (that can be hit with a little effort from the outside).

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Hi there,

Unfortunately I would like to add my bike to the statistics - it was stolen from the Brooklawn apartments in Clontarf sometime last night. Below is a list of some the bike's features and attached is a photo of it from the manufacturer's (Trek) website. I basically added lights, mudguards and a bottle cage.
    • Sparkling Silver/Graphite;
    • Bontrager H1 saddle;
    • Skinny all-weather Bontrager hard tyres;
    • Cateye front & rear lights;
    • Red metal pedals (some reflectors broken off);
    • Front & Rear black mud-guards (clip on/off);
    • Red bottle cage;
    • 27 Speed

I'm currently awaiting a review of the CCTV from the scene. Not holding out much hope but if anyone spots it for sale anywhere I'd much appreciate a shout.

Thanks,
    Peadar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@Cram: never really thought about the location of the push-release before, good point also about the patrols and absence at entry point.

aloyisious wrote: »
    @Cram: never really thought about the location of the push-release before, good point also about the patrols and absence at entry point.
    There have been a number of thefts from my workplace recently and the security guys have told us they clearly have the walk arounds either timed or someone is keeping an eye on the security hut but other than hand over CCTV to the Gardai there is not much else they can or are meant to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

CramCycle wrote: »
    In Dublin there are always either a) alot of former tenants with access b) it is code access and some scrott seen it over someones shoulder c) the security are there for insurance purposes but their only real job is to swipe a card at different points every few hours to prove they walked around, so long as it is not on their run and they can deny seeing it, they are fine d) it's just really poor security that can be easily overcome eg key to access but a button to get out (that can be hit with a little effort from the outside).

I've seen a "secure lockup" in an apartment basement that people could climb into quite easily! Making the key code at the door pointless, as you can then open it from the inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hi all,

I had my back shed broken into last night around 2am, even saw they guy climbing over my back wall but was to slow to catch him.

Please if anybody see's this bike anywhere, please let me know. I will easy give a reward if I can get my bike back.

168648_501425269150_4159617_n.jpg

Not sure this is the correct place to post this so if this is the wrong place I'm sorry.

KR
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ouch, nice bike. There is a thread but you should probably post up what part of the country your in.

Very good point thebouldwhacker, very good indeed. Thanks!

The bike got stolen from Hartstown in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Very good point thebouldwhacker, very good indeed. Thanks!

The bike got stolen from Hartstown in Dublin 15.

Track bike or City-street use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chi_gung

Hi

I noticed some fresh smashed locks by the bike stands in rosedale inchicore. The thieves had tried to rob a Raleigh sf1.0, front wheel was gone. They failed to open the unlock, but had cut through the cable locking the back wheele. They must have planned to come back, because they put the back wheel on, and made it look like the cable was locked around the back wheel. I have the back wheel and have contacted the mgt company informing, but so far we don't know who owns the bike,, worried the thieves will come back and take the frame.
    If you own this bike contact the mgt company, they have my number and I will return the back wheel.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Track bike or City-street use?

Street use though it is built for the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kiranbkishan

Thank you so much for your advice. I am keeping an eye on the websites..

Advertisement