Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Stanza2 wrote: »
    What are the training days for? And why two different locations? When are squads announced?
    I would assume to help the Munster youth coaches get a look at the majority of the players that will make up the youths squad next september
    No different locations. 1 game was in cork and the training day is in UL.
    Some form of Munster youths squad may be announced in May but it will be next summer(the regional u17 games will not be played for several months)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lucella

All fixtures for all regions in Munster now up on munsterrugby.
    Good to see numbers of sides competing at these age groups increasing
    48 teams competing at 17s level and 33 at 19s level
    Leagues start over the next 2 weekends

Asian Handicap Betting

Nearly all the u17/19 regional leagues start this weekend.
    4 games in the East at 19s and 6 at 17s(in 2 groups).
    In the North there is 4 games at 19s level in 2 groups in the 2nd round of fixtures(though 2 of last weeks games did not go ahead.) and 6 games at 17s level in 2 groups.
    17s league starts this week in South Munster with the 19s not due to start until saturday week
    There is 4 groups in the South 17s league, 23 teams in total, and 2 groups in the 19s league with 17 clubs in total
    2 west sides are competing in the north at 19s while at 17s a couple of rounds of the west league have been played

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

Chances of some of those 19s games would be slim Ormond I would suggest, seems to be same thing every year, probably another couple of weeks for clubs to figure can they field or not?

clubrug wrote: »
    Chances of some of those 19s games would be slim Ormond I would suggest, seems to be same thing every year, probably another couple of weeks for clubs to figure can they field or not?
    East 19s league will go ahead
    North 19s league has changed as some teams have pulled out including reigning all ireland champs shannon so games mightnt be on for a week or two as schedule is redrawn

• Advertisement

Looked up http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/competitions/fixtures_results_and_tables.php
    for east 19s fixtures, they have 8 teams listed, Waterpark, Nenagh, Cashel, Kilfeacle, Clanwilliam, Clonmel/ Carrick, Thurles, Fethard.

Presume Thurles will go with Cashel again, can't see Fethard getting a team together. Would see the likes of Clan and Kilfeacle, Cashel/Thurles struggle to get 15 on a pitch, Waterpark have lost their core lads I believe, and would think if Nenagh get it together, not easy, they could do well, have ye numbers Ormond? Can't see a good year for east clubs at 19s, needs attention!

Looked up http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/competitions/fixtures_results_and_tables.php
    for east 19s fixtures, they have 8 teams listed, Waterpark, Nenagh, Cashel, Kilfeacle, Clanwilliam, Clonmel/ Carrick, Thurles, Fethard.

Presume Thurles will go with Cashel again, can't see Fethard getting a team together. Would see the likes of Clan and Kilfeacle, Cashel/Thurles struggle to get 15 on a pitch, Waterpark have lost their core lads I believe, and would think if Nenagh get it together, not easy, they could do well, have ye numbers Ormond? Can't see a good year for east clubs at 19s, needs attention!
    Was talking to friends down in south tipp clan arent struggling and kilfeacle arent either.
    Up in Nenagh we've good numbers and 2/3 have played several games with our 1sts this season and another 1/2 have been togging out with our 2nds so we'll be fine.
    Thurles are struggling and have been at most levels the past 4/5 years but i believe will be fine this season. well thats what one of their coaches said at a referee course in nenagh wednesday night
    Waterpark have lost 2 or 3 of their stronger players but have the strength in depth to still be able to compete at the business end of 19s competition this season

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

ormond lad wrote: »
    Was talking to friends down in south tipp clan arent struggling and kilfeacle arent either.
    Up in Nenagh we've good numbers and 2/3 have played several games with our 1sts this season and another 1/2 have been togging out with our 2nds so we'll be fine.
    Thurles are struggling and have been at most levels the past 4/5 years but i believe will be fine this season. well thats what one of their coaches said at a referee course in nenagh wednesday night
    Waterpark have lost 2 or 3 of their stronger players but have the strength in depth to still be able to compete at the business end of 19s competition this season

Waterpark will be missing all 6 of their Interpro's from 2 years ago but should still be decent, at East level anyway.

KJY wrote: »
    Waterpark will be missing all 6 of their Interpro's from 2 years ago but should still be decent, at East level anyway.
    Jack o D had to move to Bohs due to the academy and Moore and Coady are also in Bohs but where are the other 3?
    Like most park sides the best players move to senior clubs in dublin, cork, limerick when they leave for college. But from the looks of their 1st team there is more and more former interpro 'park players coming back to the club to play jdiv 1 as they have finished 21s and would prefer to play jdiv 1 with park than play 2nds with a senior club elsewhere
    Waterpark will still have another 7/8 who've played either A schools, east u17 dev squad so will still be strong and be at the business end of the pan munster and ireland comp next march/april

Jack o D had to move to Bohs due to the academy and Moore and Coady are also in Bohs but where are the other 3?
    Like most park sides the best players move to senior clubs in dublin, cork, limerick when they leave for college.
    Waterpark will still have another 7/8 who've played either A schools, east u17 dev squad so will still be strong and be at the business end of the pan munster and ireland comp next march/april

Tom O Heir to Sunday's Well, Niall O Neil I'm not 100% sure, possibly Limerick Club and Adam Walsh playing Senior only.

• Advertisement

Believe Niall O' N went bohs way as well, strange how Bohs aren't fielding a 19s team in north, am sure they have picked up many other lads also.
    D Mcgagh gone from them also from when they were 17s, alot to replace, however they should be healthy for numbers, but good players to see go.

Heard Clan and Kilfeacle are struggling badly for numbers Ormond, again 19s a dodgy age, East will stutter like last year, pity!

Regarding players leaving clubs, see Tom Kiersey playing with Waterpark juniors, good on him

Believe Niall O' N went bohs way as well, strange how Bohs aren't fielding a 19s team in north, am sure they have picked up many other lads also.
    D Mcgagh gone from them also from when they were 17s, alot to replace, however they should be healthy for numbers, but good players to see go.

Heard Clan and Kilfeacle are struggling badly for numbers Ormond, again 19s a dodgy age, East will stutter like last year, pity!

Regarding players leaving clubs, see Tom Kiersey playing with Waterpark juniors, good on him
    Shame bohs are not fielding at 19s considering they have the university to get players
    Clan and kilfeacle arent struggling that much as i was down in south tipp last weekend watching our 17s play clan and the clan lads said they will be fielding
    East wont stutter that much and there will still be east sides at business end of pan munster next february/march.
    Kiersey more than capable of playing j1 rugby and is capable of playing at a higher level than munster junior rugby

Keirsey's gone to Landsdowne. I think he either played the first game of the season or the wrong name was given.

Keirsey's gone to Landsdowne. I think he either played the first game of the season or the wrong name was given.
    he's actually gone to Marys(to join with former 'park players ed torrie and willie walsh) and played for 'park in their opening game as his transfer hadnt went through in full.
    he will be a loss to waterpark but may be back in a few years like many other 'park players who over the years have went away from waterford for college, played rugby at u21 level and then came back to park after a few years

he's actually gone to Marys and played for 'park in their opening game as his transfer hadnt went through in full.
    he will be a loss to waterpark but may be back in a few years like many other 'park players who over the years have went away from waterford for college, played rugby at u21 level and then came back to park after a few years

You'd hope that would happen as some serious talent has left recently

You'd hope that would happen as some serious talent has left recently
    the same thing happens the whole time with waterpark.
    Quite a few of 'parks previous very strong underage squads that won munster titles(07 u16/18 munster champs) left waterpark to play for senior clubs in cork, limerick etc but afaik many of them are back playing with waterpark thesedays.
    Waterpark will struggle to keep players in the city when there's no university in the region.
    Waterpark will continue to develop large numbers of v good players and while some will leave the club to play elsewhere more will stay and in a few years the club will really be challenging to go back senior and if 'park do go back senior more and more of the best u/age players will stay in the club

any results from youths league games today?

results from 17s/19s league games played yesterday and today
    North u19
    Thomond 7 Young Munster 8
    Tralee 12 Garryowen 29

South u17
    Section 1
    Dolphin 0 Highfield 20
    Muskerry 31 Douglas 0
    Section 2
    Skibbereen 52 Dunmanway 14
    Bandon 27 Ballincollig 0
    Section 3
    Fermoy 12 Mitchelstown 14
    Youghal 7 Kanturk 13
    Cobh Pirates 18 Midleton 17
    Section 4
    Sundays Well 12 Cork Con 10
    Old Christians 0 Mallow 22

East u17
    Section A
    Nenagh 17 Thurles 17
    Carrick On Suir 0 Cashel 46
    West u17
    Kenmare 10 Listowel 25
    Tralee 53 Corca Dhuibhne 8
    Tralee Colts 26 Killarney 19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

he's actually gone to Marys(to join with former 'park players ed torrie and willie walsh) and played for 'park in their opening game as his transfer hadnt went through in full.

Unless Marys now wear black,yellow and red hoops Iwatched Tom Kiersey play for Lansdowne today

6dsp9 wrote: »
    Unless Marys now wear black,yellow and red hoops Iwatched Tom Kiersey play for Lansdowne today
    Just going by what i saw on waterparks website a while back and on there it said he was joining Marys

6dsp9 wrote: »

What team was he playing on? 21s?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

What team was he playing on? 21s?

yeah he was playing 21s,doubt he'll play 1sts this year cos they have a great 10 already and he's a bit light yet but he's a great player I think and one with lots of potential

Plenty of league games at all age groups on this weekend
    Some of the regional u17 squads that help decide next seasons munster youths squads are playing games over the next few days. Tonight in castleisland the west
    u17 development squad play a kerry select xv at 7.30pm and on monday the north and east development squads play each other in UL Pavilion at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

I hear the squad was announced yesterday. Anyone have the full list?

BigHeel wrote: »
    I hear the squad was announced yesterday. Anyone have the full list?
    Squad has been picked but a full list will not be made available yet.
    Ive seen a few names on twitter, facebook who have made the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

Squad has been picked but a full list will not be made available yet.
    Ive seen a few names on twitter, facebook who have made the squad
    If my online probing is correct there are 10 or 11 exiles in the squad. I'm really surprised by that if it is true. Guess we will have to wait and see.

BigHeel wrote: »
    If my online probing is correct there are 10 or 11 exiles in the squad. I'm really surprised by that if it is true. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    Surprising but not that surprising at the same time.
    Many of the Exiles players are involved in aviva premiership academies
    Still think most of the exiles shouldnt be playing with the irish youths side and that most should be trying to play and make the irish schools squad
    Ive seen names of a couple of ulster player and exiles players from looking at various twitter a/cs and websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Surprising but not that surprising at the same time.
    Many of the Exiles players are involved in aviva premiership academies
    Still think most of the exiles shouldnt be playing with the irish youths side and that most should be trying to play and make the irish schools squad
    Ive seen names of a couple of ulster player and exiles players from looking at various twitter a/cs and websites.

Would it not be fair to say that this is just a training squad and that the team managers would not have had as many opportunities to see the Exiles as home based lads so they might want to take a further look at them as they would be more certain of the Irish based players?

The Exiles played two games as I understand and won both of them which does represent good form. I saw one of them and although I thought only a couple of players stood out, I am not the youths coach and their results warrant respect. Their always seems to be an air of disappointment that the Exiles are included in the youths on here. I don't like that or think that is how we should behave. Everyone should be given an equal chance and it is up to the Irish management to choose the best players. I trust that they know what is best for Ireland.

Looking forward to seeing the squad and watching all the young lads come through. Not going to check on any twitter or Facebook pages as I think that is just a bit too serious !

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Would it not be fair to say that this is just a training squad and that the team managers would not have had as many opportunities to see the Exiles as home based lads so they might want to take a further look at them as they would be more certain of the Irish based players?

The Exiles played two games as I understand and won both of them which does represent good form. I saw one of them and although I thought only a couple of players stood out, I am not the youths coach and their results warrant respect. Their always seems to be an air of disappointment that the Exiles are included in the youths on here. I don't like that or think that is how we should behave. Everyone should be given an equal chance and it is up to the Irish management to choose the best players. I trust that they know what is best for Ireland.

Looking forward to seeing the squad and watching all the young lads come through. Not going to check on any twitter or Facebook pages as I think that is just a bit too serious !
    Exiles should be involved in irish underage squads but if they are going to rugby playing schools in england like whitgift, st benedicts school the 16/17 year olds should be playing for the irish schools team not the irish youths team
    This is a training squad and this year will have 2 more opportunities to look at the irish players when the intepro semis and finals are played around xmas but the training squad wont change dramatically for the next training camp
    My opinion on the exiles is that some use the irish system to get them better exposure and help them get into the view of english coaches and that this shouldnt be allowed. this is backed up by the number of players who've played irish youths as exiles who then went on to play england u20 and beyond. some of the players that did that include shane geraghty and several others
    Not too serious checking twitter etc. I dont look specifically for news but if im on either twitter/fb and see something il post it here

The South 19s league started today and the results from the 2 sections are below along with the south 17s section 2
    South 19s
    Section 1
    Cork Con 55 Kinsale 5
    Muskerry 15 Clonakilty 15
    Highfield 40 Skibbereen 7
    Section 2
    Fermoy 7 Sundays Well 41
    Old Christians 5 Midleton 13
    Youghal 17 Mallow 3
    Dolphin v Cobh Pirates Conceded by Cobh Pirates

u17
    section 2
    Dunmanway 36 Bandon 48
    Ballincollig 0 Clonakilty 25
    Bantry Bay 20 Kinsale 25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭mountain

The South 19s league started today and the results from the 2 sections are below along with the south 17s section 2
    South 19s
    Section 1
    Cork Con 55 Kinsale 5
    Muskerry 15 Clonakilty 15
    Highfield 40 Skibbereen 7
    Section 2
    Fermoy 7 Sundays Well 41
    Old Christians 5 Midleton 13
    Youghal 17 Mallow 3
    Dolphin v Cobh Pirates Conceded by Cobh Pirates

Skibbereen couldn't field a full team and conceded the match, they then played a friendly game.

Advertisement