Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

A320 wrote: »
    I cant wait for the day that you will curse yourself working on an engine :D:D It's just the nature of it,it will happen :D

Ah ya, of course, a job's a job at the end of the day but for the moment it's magic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

A320 wrote: »
    I cant wait for the day that you will curse yourself working on an engine :D:D It's just the nature of it,it will happen :D

Working on engines is great Ab exercise, everything is just out of reach for an average size man lying down, forcing you to do this half sit up while stabbing your fingers with wire lock that seems to break only when you're putting the finishing twist on it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Working on engines is great Ab exercise, everything is just out of reach for an average size man lying down, forcing you to do this half sit up while stabbing your fingers with wire lock that seems to break only when you're putting the finishing twist on it. ;)

That snap just as you pig tail her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Are you in engineering trig?

I started my apprenticeship in 1984, so I've been around a while. Never worked for EI though, so treat my comment with the contempt it deserves - but I do know people who are there now.
    It's good to see that you have some enthusiasm for the job, and congrats on getting a decent start in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

LeakRate wrote: »
    That snap just as you pig tail her :(

Then managing to do it and smashing your head off something hard and bloody painful!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@EoG, It's still a good trade to be in, but terms and conditions are degrading annually, with pay rates falling and pensions being raided and the workrate going up. Aer Lingus is still a good company to work for, for the most part, compared to many places inside and outside aviation. I'm still not sure if I'd recommend it to new guys but give it your best shot and study hard.I'm down to be one of the Apprentice mentors so we'll meet at some stage.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @EoG, It's still a good trade to be in, but terms and conditions are degrading annually, with pay rates falling and pensions being raided and the workrate going up. Aer Lingus is still a good company to work for, for the most part, compared to many places inside and outside aviation. I'm still not sure if I'd recommend it to new guys but give it your best shot and study hard.I'm down to be one of the Apprentice mentors so we'll meet at some stage.

regards
    Stovepipe

The industry as a whole is going that way I suppose, the good days of old are really a thing of the past now.
    To be honest I'm happy to be working towards a career that I've an interest in and I didn't get into it for the money so I wont worry too much about that for now. (Not that I'm naive, a good skill should be well rewarded but I'll deal with that when the time comes).

I look forward to meeting you Stovepipe!

Hi all,
    I met some of the new guys yesterday. They range in age from 17 to 38, next oldest being 32, which is the widest age range for apprentices that I've ever heard of. They range in previous occupations from LC student to gas welder, at least two have degrees and three are already B1/B2s, so the skill set is wide-ranging and they appear to have a lot more life experience than the average apprentice class. In the end, the company settled at 19 bodies.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Why would a B1/B2 apply for an apprenticeship?

Hi there,
    Two of them have the B1 modules done and one the B2 but no time served.They came from Carlow IT.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

As a 37 year old civil engineer would I be too old to apply?

Advertisement