Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    No silage or hay??!! What are they eating..... stones?? :p

Cattle out wintered this year are eating very very little. I have 15 big heifers in one spot nothing much to eat and only giving them a bale of decent silage every third day, I would be expecting them to be eating double that but I suppose with the weather it dont take much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

Flt 2yo on point of calving. Just trying out my new toy
    photojan13115238.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

thats a lovely well grown heifer for a 2yo stan! nice bit of strength to her.

thats a lovely well grown heifer for a 2yo stan! nice bit of strength to her.

weighed all the incalf heifers last week. none behind target weight- they will all calve around 600kg as 2yo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

stanflt wrote: »
    Just trying out my new toy

Smartphone is fierce handy for taking pics as you always have it on you. It also means you'll spend way too much time on boards.ie ;). Have you a photo editor option? That way you can reduce the size of the photo before sharing with imageus. 2MB is slow to download for lads like me on a poor internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Keep the photos coming by the way. I may throw the odd slag in your direction, but don't worry, that's purely jealousy! Great to see an example of a well run farm on the best of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    Keep the photos coming by the way. I may throw the odd slag in your direction, but don't worry, that's purely jealousy! Great to see an example of a well run farm on the best of land.
    +1 jd, you have a very well run setup there stan.

+1 jd, you have a very well run setup there stan.

ditto redzer- im blessed with the land- but your making a huge improvement to yours which is more impressive

outwintered stores, costing ~ 90c/day for feed,rent,interest,diesel which I dont think is bad. there not gaining weight just growing a frame, plenty of compensatory growth when they hit grass. Probably close on looking their worst at the moment. All R and and a few U grade finished around 1st of July or earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

outwintered stores, costing ~ 90c/day for feed,rent,interest,diesel which I dont think is bad. there not gaining weight just growing a frame, plenty of compensatory growth when they hit grass

Hi Bob,

What feeding are they getting if you don't me asking? Just for curiosity. ;)
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Flt 2yo on point of calving. Just trying out my new toy
    photojan13115238.jpg

i must buy one of them smart phones and start taking a few pics.... id like to see what you'd think of some of our stock.... but for now the pic of the new calf pens will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

i must buy one of them smart phones and start taking a few pics.... id like to see what you'd think of some of our stock.... but for now the pic of the new calf pens will have to do!
    Nice job are they home made?

td5man wrote: »
    Nice job are they home made?

yeah made them myself.... copied the originals which were falling asunder from old age...

Hi Bob,

What feeding are they getting if you don't me asking? Just for curiosity. ;)
    Thanks.

Just silage or hay, if I had time I would feed them differently better but I dont. :D often place a couple of weeks feeding with them, saves hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Cattle out wintered this year are eating very very little. I have 15 big heifers in one spot nothing much to eat and only giving them a bale of decent silage every third day, I would be expecting them to be eating double that but I suppose with the weather it dont take much.

was thinking that myself this year-24 weanlings out on rough ground and only getting a bale every 3 days(good stuff 6 bales/acre) plus kilo per head per day and they are dead happy.mind you they only came off grass on the 28th of dec and reckon they ill be on grass 10 to 15 feb so cheap winter but lets wait and see.must figure out how to post pics:confused:

keep going wrote: »
    was thinking that myself this year-24 weanlings out on rough ground and only getting a bale every 3 days(good stuff 6 bales/acre) plus kilo per head per day and they are dead happy.mind you they only came off grass on the 28th of dec and reckon they ill be on grass 10 to 15 feb so cheap winter but lets wait and see.must figure out how to post pics:confused:

cheap winter is everything if staying with animals, on saying that I have little bunch of backward bought continential calves on slats getting the finishing TMR. will be interesting to see how they go. they eat so little, they cost very little to keep indoors

started spreading today018mw.jpg

my oldest cow 12years old has nearly done 100,000 litres-ex93 6e:)

014dg.jpg

started spreading

no cow out yet stan?

started spreading

no cow out yet stan?

no i have the grass but its just a tad soft-dont want to do damage for the coming year, its grass management after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭cosatron

my oldest cow 12years old has nearly done 100,000 litres-ex93 6e:)

014dg.jpg

is she by mfx by any chance. we've two like her, same age and all. great breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

How do you find the belmac tank stan ? like the idea of the 2 sight glasses on the front, handy when you get down to a half load you can go towards the softer ground cuts out the guess work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

<p>
    F.D wrote: »
    How do you find the belmac tank stan ? like the idea of the 2 sight glasses on the front, handy when you get down to a half load you can go towards the softer ground cuts out the guess work
    </p>
    <p> </p>
    About to ask the same question myself! Wegot our tank emptied today too. Ground conditions were surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had first heifer calf this morning 283 days, pic is of heifer yesterday:

77F1A0ED.jpg

Lucky to have got her, she progressed much quicker on me than i had expected and came on the very cold feet and tongue out at 7am, thought i had got caught flat footed so ran for the jack and brother in law, while we were gone she pushed her out but slight pull at the hips brought her,

87898D16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

That's a handy way of warming her up, in the back of the jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr525size880.jpg

purebred CF51 heifer, was ai'd twice but I guess she didnt keep although i didnt notice her bulling after, calf must be off PT bull :rolleyes:
    i guess A calf is better than no calf anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

might be a blessing in disguise she has all her life to have charlaois, calf will brob turn into a savage weanling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

mf240 wrote: »
    might be a blessing in disguise she has all her life to have charlaois, calf will brob turn into a savage weanling.

ya id say it worked out for the best, i had to give her a little pull to clear the head ,for a big heifer she seemed tight enough, maybe she needed more time but legs were sticking for a good while at that stage and she didnt seem to be making any progress so i thought it better to give her a hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

pakalasa wrote: »
    That's a handy way of warming her up, in the back of the jeep.

Was afraid heifer would walk on her in the trailer:mad: coldest night i can ever remember it was -2 degrees, poor thing she not in the clear yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

ya id say it worked out for the best, i had to give her a little pull to clear the head ,for a big heifer she seemed tight enough, maybe she needed more time but legs were sticking for a good while at that stage and she didnt seem to be making any progress so i thought it better to give her a hand

I have two cross bred cows out of CF51 and both have poor calving ability.They're both on the narrow side at the hips. Wouldn't reccomend him for breeding heifers from. I think his straws are gone now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Tough weather on stock that are out .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement