Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Tommyj1 wrote: »
    Some heifers for sale tomorrow.
    Nice stock there Tommy, good luck tomorrow. You should write down each of their estimated weights and price and compare when you've the final verdict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Some heifers for sale tomorrow.
    nice heifers are they around 500kgs or a little more,let us know how you get on,where are you selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tommyj1

Thanks lads. Hopefully they will sell well. Seems to be good enough trade on these type of cattle. I think the heaviest should be around 550kg and the lightest around 480kg. Myself and the auld lad have picked what we think are the 3 best. We have picked 3 different ones. I bought them in February so I know what weights they were. Will be interesting to see what weight gain they have done. I am selling them in Omagh mart. Will let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

best of luck keep us informed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/417861/229190.JPG
    A few weanling heifers for sale next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

caseman wrote: »

Lovely heifers there caseman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

the last load for this year- brought in 58in calf heifers today

005rcv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

leg wax wrote: »
    nice heifers are they around 500kgs or a little more,let us know how you get on,where are you selling them.

Sold the heifers yesterday. The best price was £1120/€1410. She was 550kg. They averaged £970/€1220 with average weight of 510kg and average age of 18 months. Bought this batch of heifers in February. They had an average daily weight gain of 0.8kg. Would this be good or bad? There was a big difference in the LWG between the heifers. Some had 1.2kg and some had only 0.6kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Sold the heifers yesterday. The best price was £1120/€1410. She was 550kg. They averaged £970/€1220 with average weight of 510kg and average age of 18 months. Bought this batch of heifers in February. They had an average daily weight gain of 0.8kg. Would this be good or bad? There was a big difference in the LWG between the heifers. Some had 1.2kg and some had only 0.6kg.
    How much money did they earn after costs?

How much money did they earn after costs?

When all costs taken out not much left for myself. About £50/€62 per head. Not much for what work is involved. I know it wasn't the best of years with the bad weather. There was extra fertiliser costs and meal costs which ate into the profits. Cattle prices were also expensive when I bought them. I think it is all down to keeping big numbers. Will probably buy a few smaller ones in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

When all costs taken out not much left for myself. About £50/€62 per head. Not much for what work is involved. I know it wasn't the best of years with the bad weather. There was extra fertiliser costs and meal costs which ate into the profits. Cattle prices were also expensive when I bought them. I think it is all down to keeping big numbers. Will probably buy a few smaller ones in the next few weeks.

I know we all like to farm, but its most important to keep a check on the figures. Those margins are small, but you didn't loose on them. Forget about the big numbers. Next year will be better....well done again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, the year gone was exceptional in many ways. In a normal year they would have left a lot more money.

Scrub clearing with the chainsaw for the burren life, I'll be pulling thorns out of my hands for the rest of the year :(

photo-198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Jesus some job .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

how big an area must you do Redzer? Looks a tough job

Tipp Man wrote: »
    how big an area must you do Redzer? Looks a tough job

1 hectare of actual scrub which is probably about 2 hectares of ground. Tough work alright but theres a few euro out of it and a bit of ground being opened up aswell. Have about a third of it done now and have to be finished before the new year so its time to knuckle down a bit.

1 hectare of actual scrub which is probably about 2 hectares of ground. Tough work alright but theres a few euro out of it and a bit of ground being opened up aswell. Have about a third of it done now and have to be finished before the new year so its time to knuckle down a bit.
    I bet you're tempted to go in with the tractor and scrub machine you put a picture of up here a year or two ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

One of the first out the gap, thank god :D

8205684763_f7d2abf3d1_z.jpg

beatiful day here today

001fxmf.jpg

002zqd.jpg

003rwo.jpg
    004ehrf.jpg

stanflt wrote: »
    beatiful day here today

002zqd.jpg

004ehrf.jpg

Is that mud I see in these pics? Stan, your farm is a disgrace! :D

• Advertisement

Stan,
    Is that a Moore Concrete storage tank in the background?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Stan,
    Is that a Moore Concrete storage tank in the background?

macrete holds 300000gals

just do it wrote: »
    I bet you're tempted to go in with the tractor and scrub machine you put a picture of up here a year or two ago :D
    I wonder would they notice the difference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

stanflt wrote: »
    macrete holds 300000gals

Would they make smaller versions stan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Turn it on it's end .... et voila!!

You can empty it with the barrow

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-Jqb2psX_QZJsJHqU7Syci4n7HUYnlUOIBZsViDATKAyGTeXNgiJX2h_6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr478.jpg

have to give it to this lad, caught his sucking another cow as she was lying down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

You will have to bring that lad a long way from anything with a teat when it comes to weaning time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Not sure if its allowed but I spotted some of former boards hero johngalway photos on BFF and thought others might like to see them,

the man is a legend to farm those hills in my eyes;)

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=77213

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

Scrub clearing with the chainsaw for the burren life, I'll be pulling thorns out of my hands for the rest of the year :(
    ]

Peasant life eh redzer :pac: :pac: :D

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Not sure if its allowed but I spotted some of former boards hero johngalway photos on BFF....
    Pity he left (or did he?:)). I really enjoyed his pics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement