Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I reckon Letters would be the man to ask there. He keeps good track of he's lost or gained what moves. I guess it depends on when the last time you played is. That game seems to update quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Cablez wrote: »
    Xbox 360 Pro
    Wireless one?
    The default
    Reptile
    As in like where am I from? Tallaght

i dont know how people play this game on pad but the xbox pad for mk is just ass because the dpad is so bad.

i used to play reptile, what problems are you having? if its doing the dash into neutral jump punch after 321 that a tricky one so i wouldnt be getting mad if you drop it

you should get yourself down to the xgc for casuals and kome to the next mk tourny

I went back to Mortal Kombat today, and Jade seemed different. My bread'and'butter combo with her isn't working. Did she get nerfed, or have I just forgotten how to play?

It's back 1, QCB 2 (Pole overhead) , dash, back 2, back-forward 4 (Shadow Kick).

they did nerf jades u3 making it whiff with the opp ducks without blocking but your combos are different because they changed the dash in the game, i found it annoying as hell when it 1st happened, just hit the training mode for few hours and you'll adjust

you on psn or xbl?
    u should try get down for xgc for casuals and kome to the next mk tourny, more mk heads the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cablez

deathrider wrote: »
    I think it's just a case of time and effort, man. Iremember a lot of people giving out about the game's difficulty when it first came out. It just takes a while to get the swing of. The timing on a lot of the combos is fairly loose though, so it doesn't take the same level of precission that some other fighters do. I don't play Reptile, so I can't really point you in the right direction with him, unfortunately.

Thanks for that! I was playing today and I began to use Kenshi, he's much easier to play as than Reptile.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Cablez wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I was playing today and I began to use Kenshi, he's much easier to play as than Reptile.

Just some general advice btw:

Combos alone will not win you a fight, try to start thinking conciously about which moves beat your opponents at which ranges in the screen. Figure out which moves are safe and unsafe to throw out (if someone can hit you when you're just holding block after doing a move, it is unsafe, and should be used sparingly). Try also to not waste meter- only do EX moves intelligently, to close distance or whatever if that's what you want, and only use the X ray moves when you KNOW it's going to land. Same for breakers, only use it when you're sure it's going to hurt bad not to.

As for combos, hit the training room and practice them over and over and over until you're bored of trying. Do this every time you play. The goal is to get the combo into your muscle memory. When you can manage it on command start trying to use it in easy matches first or matches with friends, it can take some time to get them at first.

Thirdly, if something is confusing you about the game- ask questions. People here are very friendly, they won't think your stupid for asking, just new, and we all were once!

All of the above applies to virtually any fighting game but if the MK heads have some specific corrections, feel free :)

• Advertisement

Just some general advice btw:

Combos alone will not win you a fight, try to start thinking conciously about which moves beat your opponents at which ranges in the screen. Figure out which moves are safe and unsafe to throw out (if someone can hit you when you're just holding block after doing a move, it is unsafe, and should be used sparingly). Try also to not waste meter- only do EX moves intelligently, to close distance or whatever if that's what you want, and only use the X ray moves when you KNOW it's going to land. Same for breakers, only use it when you're sure it's going to hurt bad not to.

As for combos, hit the training room and practice them over and over and over until you're bored of trying. Do this every time you play. The goal is to get the combo into your muscle memory. When you can manage it on command start trying to use it in easy matches first or matches with friends, it can take some time to get them at first.

Thirdly, if something is confusing you about the game- ask questions. People here are very friendly, they won't think your stupid for asking, just new, and we all were once!

All of the above applies to virtually any fighting game but if the MK heads have some specific corrections, feel free :)

^ this! ^

well said doom

i dont know how people play this game on pad but the xbox pad for mk is just ass because the dpad is so bad.

The Dpad is completely ass, but the anologue works quite well for MK. It's the polar opposite to the PS3, where the Dpad is great, and the thumbstuck sucks it.

The Dpad is completely ass, but the anologue works quite well for MK. It's the polar opposite to the PS3, where the Dpad is great, and the thumbstuck sucks it.

very true but sure we both play stick for mk so it aint our problem lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭YayForYuffie

you on psn or xbl?
    u should try get down for xgc for casuals and kome to the next mk tourny, more mk heads the better

I'm on PSN, but thanks to Fergus, I know how to use the Xbox pad. Time to search for tourney info!

I'm on PSN, but thanks to Fergus, I know how to use the Xbox pad. Time to search for tourney info!

ah you must be the guy i thought was fergus's brother?

my psn is spooky_kid_69 if ya want to add me,
    get down to xgc on wednesdays for casuals aswell :D

the next tourny isnt set 100% when it will be yet, watch this space etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

fixed pacman.gif

When your x-ray is active for 91 frames and counters everything you can afford that kind of madness:D

Nutrient wrote: »
    When your x-ray is active for 91 frames and counters everything you can afford that kind of madness:D

...and beats 99% of attacks, has a hitbox active behind it and goes into a 50% reset, thats how Johnny C do! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭YayForYuffie

ah you must be the guy i thought was fergus's brother?

Probably. No-one mentioned it to me though, making me an itty-bitty bit behind the times. But that's to be expected. I remember Jade's glory days.

I'm enjoying these MLG scraps. Some mighty fights going on.

I'm enjoying these MLG scraps. Some mighty fights going on.

yea i know, i want to sleep but matches so good.
    grand finals now then to bed

Really enjoyed that. Some fantastic fights. The final was a little disappointing, but the rest of the show more than made up for it.

This stuff needs cheerleaders. Where the hell are the cheerleaders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slickmeistr007

Any news on the upcoming mk9 Irish tourney?.. MLG was a great watch. Would've liked to have seen Detroit's Shang but fair play to him winning it. Solid Kabal

Any news on the upcoming mk9 Irish tourney?.. MLG was a great watch. Would've liked to have seen Detroit's Shang but fair play to him winning it. Solid Kabal

Did he not break out the Shang Tsung earlier on that night? Or was that another player?

I think the date to the next Irish tournament is still up in the air, dude. Keep an eye on these forums though for a thread about "DoC", that'll be the one with the info when it gets updated.

Did he not break out the Shang Tsung earlier on that night? Or was that another player?

I think the date to the next Irish tournament is still up in the air, dude. Keep an eye on these forums though for a thread about "DoC", that'll be the one with the info when it gets updated.

Must've missed it then. It was so annoying watching the matches on the mlg website cos there was an ad on every video that was like 30 secs long so i skipped some of the fights. I think i watched like over 20 ads! Damn those annoying sponsors. Thanks for the info on the tourney. I'll try find Doc's thread so

• Advertisement

Must've missed it then. It was so annoying watching the matches on the mlg website cos there was an ad on every video that was like 30 secs long so i skipped some of the fights. I think i watched like over 20 ads! Damn those annoying sponsors. Thanks for the info on the tourney. I'll try find Doc's thread so

Can't say the ads bothered me too much. Gave me time to get the kettle on, lol. No probs, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

me, lar and ste are streaming mk at moment, come and join us
    twitch.tv/nutrient16

top 8 mk9 @ ceo stream

vVv CD Jr (Jax)
    Noobe (Cyrax)
    Big D (Ermac)
    Trepound (Kitana)
    VSM Maxter (Cyrax/Sektor)
    D.R. (Noob Saibot)
    vVv REO (Kabal)
    BomBito (Cyrax)

Top 8 to be streamed via Team Sp00ky on Sunday 6/17 at 2PM EST*
    * thinking thats 7pm our time, time convertors confuse me

nice to see ermac and noob in top8,
    never seen 3 cyrax's in a top8 before, that could be interesting, id guess maxter would use sektor vs cyrax though i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

DoC7
    7TH JULY 2012

rain.png

All the best,
    RAZER

You gonna be there, R-Man?

DoC7
    7TH JULY 2012

rain.png

All the best,
    RAZER

Haha.. Great stuff razer.. Get hype!

@deathrider- I see you're making the most of the bit of internet you managed to get your hands on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

@DeathRider - You know it DR!!!!!

@Slick - Man you definitely up for this on Saturday? Sign up ends at like 11.30 or 12.

You be in Dublin before then? I will be ringing you as soon as Vulcan and I have met up with DR, Lar and Letters.

Kounting on you man, more numbers = better tournament.

All the best,
    RAZER

DoC7
    7TH JULY 2012

rain.png

All the best,
    RAZER

razer forden?? i laughed my ass off when saw that

please say the rain pic was just there for the sake of it though, glue was 4~roundhousing the **** out of me when he was down, dont need that at a tourny :rolleyes: lol

@deathrider- I see you're making the most of the bit of internet you managed to get your hands on :D

Times are hard, man. Gotta grab whatever I can and run! Lol
    DoC7
    7TH JULY 2012

rain.png

All the best,
    RAZER

I was kinda expecting you to break out a secretly practiced Rain at DoC after seeing this pic, R-Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Advertisement