Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Hey guys, I'm looking to do a MK Fighting Game Fundamentals.

Would a passing MK player point out the "F'N TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER" video for me? It'd save me a lot of time. Cheers.

also @355

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A friend in work is a big MK fan and also likes the FGF vids I've been doing so asked me if I'd do an MK "special".

If you don't already know the tone of the vids are gently mocking vids of funny footage from the tournaments in the guise of a "tutorial". I hope ye take it in the humour it was meant :)

Oh, before I forget: NOT SAFE FOR F%$KING WORK

****ing epic doom, laughed so hard,good stuff!! :D

(also get that friend to come out and play :))

MK9 IN EVO 2013 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3 years in a row for a broken ass piece of trash game, not bad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

MK9 IN EVO 2013 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3 years in a row for a broken ass piece of trash game, not bad lol

Yes!! Although last year's final was a bit disappointing. Hopefully there'll be a bit more omph in this year's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

Im wanna go to EVO!!!!! :)

All the best,
    OBS

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭YayForYuffie

I just heard from someone that there's priority in MK. Apparently, if Player one and Player Two both do a normal at the same time, it won't trade, Player one will just straight up win. Is it true, or am I just gullible?

Apparently it's true, if both players do a move that's the same amount of frames at exactly the same time. It's been tagged as "Player One Advantage".

I just heard from someone that there's priority in MK. Apparently, if Player one and Player Two both do a normal at the same time, it won't trade, Player one will just straight up win. Is it true, or am I just gullible?

its been in every mk but theres been different ways to compensate over the years, from switching "advantage" every few seconds to the other person having 1 or 2 less recovery frames when the other player has the "advantage"

like DR said it only happens with moves that are the same frames becoming
    active on the same frame, its sounds way more of a big deal that it is.

some people went nuts only finding out about it in mk9 and plenty of tests been done even looking at tourny results and comparing winner/losers to were they were p1 or p2 to debunk or prove if it meant much to gameplay, it didnt btw

APPARENTLY according to pako one of the main guys who makes the game in mk9 the "advantage" switches every so many frames and there is something to compensate the other player "denfensive wise" during those frames.
    BUT in testings done it doesnt seem to do it all the time correctly with recent tests finding sometimes the "advantage" wont starting switching till round 2

theres only really two times the "advantage" matters at all, being at zero frames at touching distance with 2 chars that have a 6 frame d1 and press it on same frame or in air to air punches, but with both those things the hitbox size of the char can only make a difference.
    besides thats its normal trade rules of special beats normal, armor beats special, and xray beats armor when things trade on the frame when the move also has the same start up as the move its trading with

so in closing, dont worry about it

I always tend to lose at air-to-air regardless of whether I'm in p1 or p2 position anyways, lol.

In other news; want to talk sh1te fore a few posts just to get this thread up to 100 pages? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

100 page MK thread less go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Get 50 posts a page scrub.

Is it true that P1 has an advantage, if P1 and P2 does a normal at the same time, it never trades, P1 will always win?

Read this somewhere, dunno if it's true or not.

deathrider wrote: »
    I always tend to lose at air-to-air regardless of whether I'm in p1 or p2 position anyways, lol.

In other news; want to talk sh1te fore a few posts just to get this thread up to 100 pages? :pac:

yea i used to always lose air to airs waiting for the timing of my jip, just have to do it really early instead,
    jump kicks>jump punches imo also,
    jump kicks are so under used by alot of players, they **** up so many AAs.
    and with chars like kitana for example jk~fan is just too good.

i REALLY abuse deep jump kicks these days aswell, combo on hit and +18 if they block and it hits them in the foot, so good, DJK easier to aa though but there great for jumping over projectiles with good recovery

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Get 50 posts a page scrub.

Is it true that P1 has an advantage, if P1 and P2 does a normal at the same time, it never trades, P1 will always win?

Read this somewhere, dunno if it's true or not.

read post #1480 :D

yea i used to always lose air to airs waiting for the timing of my jip, just have to do it really early instead,
    jump kicks>jump punches imo also,
    jump kicks are so under used by alot of players, they **** up so many AAs.
    and with chars like kitana for example jk~fan is just too good.

i REALLY abuse deep jump kicks these days aswell, combo on hit and +18 if they block and it hits them in the foot, so good, DJK easier to aa though but there great for jumping over projectiles with good recovery

Yeah, Kitana's DJK to fan is rideiculous. I can score 40% from that without using an EX. I don't tend to go for that much damage though, because the timing is a bit too tight, so I usually wind up round the 30%ish mark.

Also, here's a picture of a giraffe:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Despite playing Melee pretty much twice weekly for seven years, I never knew it had "player port priority" to resolve trades just like Mortal Kombat does until reading up on random stuff this week. ALL the Smash games do :eek:

Also, just to be more on topic:

2013-01-21-Kicking-back.gif

Heh

operation wolf stream on later today, thinks its 7pm est.
    REO is running a kratos gauntlet as a exhibition also, that should be fun.

as if baraka didnt already have enough ways to rape your health bar in the korner, here is another...

Fair play, man. Good stuff!

Alright lads I finally managed to get myself a kopy of this (Komplete edition of course) but I am not sure which character I should main. I have played the Mk series for years but have never been able to settle on a character. I am thinking I might pick Freddy because well he is Freddy feckin Kruger. :)

Has anybody got any ideas or recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Alright lads I finally managed to get myself a kopy of this (Komplete edition of course) but I am not sure which character I should main. I have played the Mk series for years but have never been able to settle on a character. I am thinking I might pick Freddy because well he is Freddy feckin Kruger. :)

I highly Recommend Stryker

Nutrient wrote: »
    I highly Recommend Stryker

Obligatory troll comment from Nutrient. :P

what style char you want to play?
    freddy is heavily based on zoning even though he does have a 50/50s

you on xbox or psn by the way?

what style char you want to play?
    freddy is heavily based on zoning even though he does have a 50/50s

you on xbox or psn by the way?

I don't really have a preferred style of play that's why I am finding it hard picking a character.

I'm on Xbox but I don't have any gold membership so no online play for me :(

I don't really have a preferred style of play that's why I am finding it hard picking a character.

I'm on Xbox but I don't have any gold membership so no online play for me :(

well to name a few...
    kabal can do what he wants when he wants,takes a bit of execution though.
    kenshi is a OP zoner covered in ex armor.
    kung lao you can play random as hell and still do well
    cage is a pressure machine
    kang is a all rounder,zoning and rushdown.super safe outside his armor
    smoke,cyrax and jax can do 100% combos
    sonya is a stupid bitch,best d4 in game.safe armor and comboable divekicks
    radien takes away every frame trap is the game with no meter,good turtle.
    quan chi punishes you for blocking correctly
    mileena is a tiny little annoyance,anti-zoner/zoner, sluggish and unsafe
    baraka is very footsie heavy char that will rape you in the corner

id say check out TYM aswell

Thanks for the info 1man.

I have been browsing TYM a bit but I think am going to have to play Kenshi because it turns out that his sword is called Sento. :pac:

Thanks for the info 1man.

I have been browsing TYM a bit but I think am going to have to play Kenshi because it turns out that his sword is called Sento. :pac:

also heres a recent one talking about his MUs (even though video called "kenshi is top2" i dont think he is but top 5 no doubt)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Just looking up anyone for some online games on PSN. Don't have anyone on my friends list who plays MK9, although I think I have you Kuro-Tao on my Leprekaun account so I'll add you on my Jun_Chikara account. Other than that though, I don't know anyone else who plays MK9 on PSN. So would anyone be up for some games later on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Just for Lar being curious

THIS is a hitbox been sold in Ireland.

MGRlYzVkMjgxYzZlMWY2NWM3ZGMyNDZlODc1NWI0N2HHe4uxRRpRIJqIKoTjqmXtaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODVhNGEyYjJhNDkzNjViNTg5YWNmMmNlM2NhN2MxMDg5OTE1Y2M5NzU2MTUwOTMxOGY5Yzc2MzdkNDcwMjAyNi5qcGd8MzkzfHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

• Advertisement

Depends on how you play, Bento. MK characters (and indeed the games' styles too) change severely from game to game. I can never really settle on one character, because in the next game, I might play someone completely different. In MKII I was a Kitana head, MK3 I played Subby, Deadly Alicance and Deception, I played Scorpion, Vs DVU I played Sonya, and now I'm back to Kitana. Unlike in Tekken where I would play Paul Phoenix in all of them, and Ken in all the Street Fighter games.

Best just play arround with a few different characters and see what jumps out at you.

Advertisement