Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Looks like Boon's face might be getting a little brown from kissing the arse of this let's-get-a-new-gen-console-out-the-door-already thing:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366680/next-mortal-kombat-must-innovate-says-boon/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

nice kenshi guide by REO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

nice kenshi guide by REO

Kenshi! :D

Aw, I miss this game now:(

Rob2D wrote: »
    Kenshi! :D

Aw, I miss this game now:(

well im still on your friends list so just send me a invite ;)

ya should try make it down to xgc if ya can some week also, we'll level you up back to what you were, get ya tourny ready :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

well im still on your friends list so just send me a invite ;)

ya should try make it down to xgc if ya can some week also, we'll level you up back to what you were, get ya tourny ready :D

Too far away for me I'm afraid.

Besides, my time these days is consumed with Tekken and trying to figure that beast out:p

Been well over a year since I played MK. But maybe someday I'll hop back on for a few casual matches.

I do miss stabbing people with my Kano knives. No charge:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 christov9

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Tournaments or places like XGC up north, ideally Belfast? Myself and a few friends have only really started taking MK9 seriously and would love to get down to XGC some time but it is a trek.

Also if there are no places I could look into setting something up, its only an idea but if the interest is there I would happily roll with it. I'm also new to boards.ie so apologies if this isnt the place to be asking about Northern Ireland.

Hope to hear from you also 'christov9' is my psn and xbox (i have mk9 on both) if anyone fancies a few friendlies.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

christov9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Tournaments or places like XGC up north, ideally Belfast? Myself and a few friends have only really started taking MK9 seriously and would love to get down to XGC some time but it is a trek.

Also if there are no places I could look into setting something up, its only an idea but if the interest is there I would happily roll with it. I'm also new to boards.ie so apologies if this isnt the place to be asking about Northern Ireland.

Hope to hear from you also 'christov9' is my psn and xbox (i have mk9 on both) if anyone fancies a few friendlies.

Cheers.

Hey there,

While I don't think there's ever been an MK tournament in the North, there's certainly enough people from up your way now for you to think about doing one.

You could ask The Dragonslayers Gaming Society in Queens university if they'd be willing to help you out with running one.

Or you could try and do one yourselves. A lot of our tournaments are run by a couple of people with volunteered machines in an art space, or in a gaming cafe. I don't know if it'd work so well in Belfast without as many people who know each other though.

That said, I travel to Belfast all the time for tournaments and I'm from Dublin, it's not such a big thing. In fact with such a dispersed population across the country, i think it's important for people to try every now and then in order to keep the scene going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Yeah, generally if you want to play some FGs in Belfast you want to show up to The Space in the Queens SU on a Tuesday night (from about 6 onwards).

Having said that though I know of absolutely no-one here that plays MK, I own it but I haven't touched it since a couple weeks after it came out. :pac:

Thre's usedforglue and a couple of the lads who travel down for DoC. There'd probably be enough for casuals, at least, if they co-ordinated.

christov9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cheers.

hi,
    im not sure of if there are places like xgc up north, when glue was down here he said he wish there was a place like xgc were he lived so im not too sure.
    of the lads i know from the north theres vulcan,usedforglue,theoriginalrazer and uglybunny(although he would rather play online 12 hours a day than bother come to a tourny,sad really)

i cant speak for anyone else but if a mk event was made up north id make the effort to travel to it.

even if nothing happens casuals wise up there or your not able to come down xgc (even though it would be great if you could sometime),
    id really hope you and friends would consider coming down to the next mk tourny that comes up in dublin.
    be great to have more kombat heads to level up with

speaking of that, u said you had a few friends that we into it also,would they be up for coming to a tourny aswell,also are they on psn or xbl?

ill add you now,my psn is spooky_kid_69
    also if u havnt done it you and your friends make a account on testyourmight.com (add me as friend when u do,same name as here)

• Advertisement

major news going down in mk land,
    the kommunity has come together to find all chars toasty boost inputs and things have been going krazy well,
    to those that dont know in mk9 when dan forden aka the toasty guy pops up on screen you have a extremly short window to enter in a series of inputs, if you do this correctly u get full meter.each char has there own set of inputs.

toastys are rare so its not going to change tier list or anything knowing your chars input but its sure worth knowing.
    both players can try enter code not just the one that hit the d2 to get the toasty

this is pretty fun this happening over a year after release as all the old mk games had so much hidden stuff some of which still to this day not found but now a days its alot harder to keep stuff hidden so this is pretty hype

so far these chars inputs have been found and confirmed,
    cyrax,
    ermac,
    baraka (confirmed by me :D)
    kung lao,
    liu kang,
    kitana,
    noob saibot,
    quan chi,
    mileena,
    nightwolf,
    shang tsung,
    sheeva,
    sub zero,
    sonya,
    stryker
    sindel,
    jax,
    kabal,
    cage

scorpions inputs are found, just waiting on confirmation,
    after that all thats left is cage,jade,reptile,radien,sektor and the 4dlc chars

edit:since i posted this sindels,jaxs and KABALS have been confirmed.
    that kabal has been confirmed that opens up the possible patterns to cage and jade so they should be next

edit.2. cages has been confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I was about to rage about how that's an idiotic mechanic, but the fact that both players can do the inputs if either side gets the toasty is pretty grand.

Still a totally bizarre mechanic, but at least it's fair :pac:

Sairus wrote: »
    I was about to rage about how that's an idiotic mechanic, but the fact that both players can do the inputs if either side gets the toasty is pretty grand.

Still a totally bizarre mechanic, but at least it's fair :pac:

bizarre indeed but theyve had bizarre stuff before, like hara kiris were u could input a certain series of comands to get your char to kill themselves, if you got it out before your opp inputed there fatality

but this whole toasty boost thing is more of a cool thing to know that viable, depends on the char aswell, like mileena can end all her bnbs with uppercut and just drop 1%,quan chi uppercut more than any char in the game and then there chars like smoke or kenshi who rarely use d2 at all.

like it said though toasty's are rare and in tourny play even rarer as why do a d2 for 12% when u can aa combo for 20%-upwards, like of all the irish footage doom has on his channel i dont think dan forden poped up once.

this video explains the whole toasty boost thing pretty well,
    please note that the quick uppercut recovery kombat code is active in this video,hence the back to back d2s

playing online against a laggy ass reptile last night.
    get toasty boost with mileena...roll the whiffed ex slide wakeup...combo into ray just as there about to get breaker...wins...pops off shouting at TV...turns off console and goes to sleep cause im just too godlike lol :cool:

Whoever wins the next tourney must leap from their seat and get their dance on!

all the DLCs toasty boosts were found last night, they had there own ****ed up pattern so thats why it took so long to find them,
    now only 2 chars remain, cyber sub zero & jade

people are starting to make toasty boost combos to maximise the swag factor
    that comes with the boost, i can get 51% with baraka from a reverse d2 if dan pops out on it :cool:

heres one or two of them

Hmmm, I don't quite get why Subby burned his entire X-Bar mid-combo into a cancel for a few extra precent there. Seems like a foolish and risky move to me.

deathrider wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't quite get why Subby burned his entire X-Bar mid-combo into a cancel for a few extra precent there. Seems like a foolish and risky move to me.

just for swag really,trying to use as many bars as possible just to show whats possible.its not smart or clever,just cool looking

kitana 5 bar combo

shang6bar combo

lao 6 bar combo

In that vid, Kitana struck a back 2 IA-fan and another back 2. I've seen this done before, but I could never suss out how. The always seem to hit the ground long before Kitana unloads the second back 2 when I try.

Also, that Kung Lao combo doesn't use to X-Rays (but it's sexy as all hell!). He could easily use 2 Xs by slipping a roll in after the first one and just slamming down on the second one, I reckon. I remember jamming on it with kombat kodes aaaaaaaaaaaages ago.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    In that vid, Kitana struck a back 2 IA-fan and another back 2. I've seen this done before, but I could never suss out how. The always seem to hit the ground long before Kitana unloads the second back 2 when I try.

Also, that Kung Lao combo doesn't use to X-Rays (but it's sexy as all hell!). He could easily use 2 Xs by slipping a roll in after the first one and just slamming down on the second one, I reckon. I remember jamming on it with kombat kodes aaaaaaaaaaaages ago.

it might just be that combo that can do it, different combos have different gravity depending on a few things.

ah crud,my bad,ill edit it now.the guy who made it said its possible to do the to xrays, he might of said this way was more damage to why he didnt record it,cant member

Yeah, I've definitely seen people get that double bak 2 combo before. Drove myself nuts trying to get my head around in.

I'd safely say Lao's 84%er there would be a lot more damaging than a double X-Ray anyways.

last two toasty boosts were found!
    pretty awesome they all got found out.go mk kommunity!!!
    heres the full list...

Baraka -- U,U,D,3
    CyberSub -- D,D,D,1
    Cyrax -- U,U,D,1
    Ermac -- U,U,D,2
    Freddy -- D,B,D,3
    Jade -- D,B,D,3
    Jax -- D,D,D,4
    Johnny Cage -- D,D,U,1
    Kabal -- D,D,U,2
    Kano -- F,F,B,3
    Kenshi -- F,B,D,3
    Kitana -- F,F,B.4
    Kratos -- B,B,D,2
    Kung Lao -- F,F,B,1
    Liu Kang -- F,F,B,2
    Mileena -- B,B,F,3
    Nightwolf -- B,B,F,4
    Noob -- B.B,F,1
    Quan Chi -- B,B,F,2
    Raiden -- D,B,D,3
    Rain -- B,B,D,3
    Reptile -- D,B,F,3
    Scorpion -- D,B,F,1
    Sektor -- D,B,D,1
    Shang Tsung -- D,D,F,3
    Sheeva -- D,D,F,4
    Sindel -- D,D,D,1
    Skarlet -- B,D,D,3
    Smoke -- D,D,F,2
    Sonya -- B,B,D,3
    Stryker -- B.B,D,4
    Sub Zero -- B,B,D,1

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=TjYdiRAZqKM&feature=em-comment_received
    Picking up baraka just to play like this guy good ****ing ****!

Good man, Letters. You're a tarkatan rock star now :D

http://www.themortalkombat.com/leaderboards?inputLinkPlatform=ps3&inputLeaderboardType=overall_favorite_character&inputPageNumber=1

tracks the amount of times a char was used in any game mode while the console was signed in online,
    baraka is 14th??? that safe online blade charge i guess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

too funny
    love brady mentioning letters lol

Hey guys, I'm looking to do a MK Fighting Game Fundamentals.

Would a passing MK player point out the "F'N TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER" video for me? It'd save me a lot of time. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Advertisement