Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Shaz. Great battling after something going wrong so early in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done shaz, that is no bad effort given that you could't run up any hill. Sounds like you would have comfortably beaten 2 hours sans injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shazkea wrote: »

I’m really gutted to be honest but not going to use quad as an excuse. It didn’t help but if I had been faster on the flat I would have made it.

It's a lot to ask to have to walk on every hill and make up the time on the flats, so I think you're perfectly entitled to blame it on the quad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Shaz, I am no means an expert, but after the injury you had not so long ago you have been an inspiration for me getting out there consistently (and won't even mention the famous ardgillan mountains!:D)

I could only aim to do 13 miles at the moment, never mind in 2.02. Well done for keeping going with that quad pain. As you said you gave it your best on the day...can't ask any more than that!

Icecreams all around!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Shaz you did great today. And i never even noticed the moody cow at all... i was too busy trying to stay alive ;) you did fantastic today. I couldn't keep up with you... even though you had to walk the hills. The next one we will do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Geez, post injury, walking the hills, and you STILL get a 5 minute PB?! Go easy on yourself girl! :p

Pity I didn't meet you today. I was right beside JBSki (the 2 hour pacer) for about the first 4 miles, looking out for Boards tops, but didn't notice you... next time maybe? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Well Done Shaz you done fantastic (even if you dont want to hear that right now)

2hr and 2 mins while injured is something to be very proud of and without even mentioning shaving 21 mins off last years time!

Big thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow shaz, that was serious effort you put in Kildare, well done on a great pb. Get thee to a physio, and have the quad fixed up, and sub2 in Enniscorthy will be yours for the taking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Jeez shaz, can't believe you walked some of the route and STILL got an amazing time.
    You are fully entitled to be peed off and vent - what's what we're here for.
    I think though that you are being a bit hard on yourself, you're clearly not back to full fitness or anywhere near.
    Imagine when you're injury free - the sky's the limit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Time to update the target table and regroup after yesterday.

2 PBs so far and most of the other targets I have hit during races but I would prefer to record them in that distance race. Hit the 10km target so thats complete.
    10 mile and Half marathon are the ones I want most right now. Still slightly disappointed with yesterday but just have to SIU and move on to next target race. Still deciding on what next target race should be - 5 mile race series or go for another half in June.

Distance | Target | Previous PB | New PB
    5km| 25:45 |27:58 (Mar 2011) | tbd
    8km|42:26| none |tbd
    5 Miles| 42:40| 50:58 (Jan 2010) :o |tbd
    10km|53:29 |55:32 (June 2010) |53:04
    10 Miles|1:29:36|none |tbd
    Half Marathon| 1:59:00 |2:07:59 (Jan 2011) |2:02:22

• Advertisement

Guys and Gals, you're fantastic! You really know how to pick a persons spirit up so a huge THANK YOU.
    Bit of a self indulgent post/rant yesterday as I was really disappointed (as I'm sure you could tell :o). Onwards and upwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done!
    Great grit to bring that half home
    You almost made it as well- how frustrating on the one hand but you know you have it in you for next time!
    Get the leg sorted and you'll have sub 2.00 no bother

Mon May 16th

Legs are tired today so an easy recovery session in the gym.

Bike: 10 miles intervals
    Rower: 3km
    Weights and plenty of stretching :).

Putting off rolling the crap out of that pesky quad by writing this...will have to be done tho :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Guys and Gals, you're fantastic! You really know how to pick a persons spirit up so a huge THANK YOU.
    Bit of a self indulgent post/rant yesterday as I was really disappointed (as I'm sure you could tell :o). Onwards and upwards...

Well done yesterday. Nothing wrong with being disappointed with your time, think I've been happy with my finish time two or three times. I get a lot of stick for being 'negative' but there's nothing wrong with expecting more from yourself, especially when you know you're better than where you finishd, and a sub 2 will be easy as pie for you next time out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB. It might not have been the one you wanted but a PB is a PB - and you ran it close.

From the RR it clearly is the quad - as you said "any hill" caused a problem. Trying to "make up time" in a race is an incredibly tough way to race. It really does sound like this race may have been a little early.

It's ok to be gutted (hell, I moan after every race!) but a 5 minute 5, 21 minutes over 12 months - that's progress a lot of us would love to have. The 2 hour mark is just one benchmark - once it falls you'll be on onto the next target/distance. Just keep the progress rolling and use the disappointment to motivate next time out.

But also be very very careful with the quad after this effort. +1 to the physio visit. Give yourself the best chance and get it properly sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Shaz I can understand your disappointed but as everyone else says you actually did great on the day- a new PB by 5 minutes is excellent and 21 minutes in a year is something I can only dream of. You are still a huge inspiration to plodders like me.

Thanks guys...wise words of wisdom :).

I've calmed down a bit and moving on...i.e. a new excel spreadsheet shall be developed later this eve for the next few months and I'm sure a sub 2 race will be thrown in there somewhere :D

Tues May 17th

I've learnt why they recommend recovery runs are done at a crawling pace :rolleyes:.

Plan was 3 easy recovery miles on a nice flat route. To be honest thought this would be a bit of a doddle...apart from quad niggling a bit, legs were grand - felt great in gym last night. Knew that was too much to ask for...good god but this was woeful run!

Felt like I was just starting to run again with the legs feeling like wood and achy. They were screaming at me to stop even though I was crawling. No injury concerns just tired. Called a halt at 2 and decided to fast walk last mile. Swear I heard the hallelujah chorus from the feckers when I started to walk :rolleyes:. Walking just felt brilliant!
    So will take a rest day tomorrow and then perhaps just easy gym sessions for the next few nights after. Will also treat them to a nice sports massage for misbehaving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

ah go on, show us the photos!
    :D

Emer911 wrote: »
    ah go on, show us the photos!
    :D

Eh let me think about that for a sec...yup done thinking and ans is still No :)

I can post a pic of the state of my battered legs after last nights sports massage if you want :eek::eek:.
    My thigh is now this swollen unrecognisable deformity with a "lovely" black/green/purple colour covering most of it. I seriously thought about wearing a loose soft tracksuit into work today but thought that wouldn't go down too well!! Shins less deformed but still very colourful! To quote someone...ouchy

May take a couple of rest days to recover :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Shaz! Sorry about my delayed response - only catching up on everyone's logs now. Well done in Kildare. It might not have gone exactly according to plan but you did fantastically. You had a great run, and you were right to take the walk breaks that you needed. I have no idea how you made up such good time after them. That in itself is something to be proud of - there's obviously some juice in those legs so don't be so hard on yourself. Two hours is so within your grasp now - onwards and upwards!! :D

Weekend...

Nada, zilch, zip...instead spent most of the weekend drinking, eating, watching sport or hungover.
    Even though I am a Red Army woman had to celebrate that comeback...although Sunday morning I was cursing ye :rolleyes:. Not to worry we'll be celebrating this weekend :D

Mon May 23rd

Dawned on me yesterday that I have only 10 weeks to go to Kilimanjaro so need to step up the gym sessions massively. Fitness level right now is rubbish. I've done high allitude hiking before so I know exactly where I need to get to. Hammered the gym then last night and legs were like jelly when I was leaving...good session :)

Tues May 24th

As RK pointed out to relay team earlier, only 2 weeks to Cork so time to get back out on the road. Plan was 3 easy miles but it didn't go exactly to plan. This ranks with one of the toughest runs I've had in a while. Away with work and it was 30 degrees out with no shade which nearly killed me. Only managed 2.5 miles before I had to make an emergency return to the hotel :o...sure sign for me that I was dehydrated...tmi I know!
    Got a "lovely" round of applause from the local cool dudes...would love to take it as a compliment but think it had more to do with them mocking the pudgey snow white legs :cool:. We can't all be skinny and tanned like the locals here!!

Distance: 2.55 miles (not those bloody kms that some are posting :P)
    Time: 25:32
    Avg Pace: 10:01

Fri May 27th

Another blaa run...only good thing about it was that I was back in the cold; don't like running in very warm weather.
    Not feeling the love for running at the moment - enjoying the gym much more. I was going to do 10 at the w-end but think I'll just keep to short runs until I get that loving feeling back again :rolleyes:...I know it'll be back again soon so not too worried.

Distance: 3.03
    Time: 28.52
    Avg Pace: 09:31

Fri May 27th

Another blaa run...only good thing about it was that I was back in the cold; don't like running in very warm weather.
    Not feeling the love for running at the moment - enjoying the gym much more. I was going to do 10 at the w-end but think I'll just keep to short runs until I get that loving feeling back again :rolleyes:...I know it'll be back again soon so not too worried.

Distance: 3.03
    Time: 28.52
    Avg Pace: 09:31

Oh i know the feeling :) except the only thing i am loving at the moment is wine and chocolate, and that is getting me out for my run :o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nules10 wrote: »
    Oh i know the feeling :) except the only thing i am loving at the moment is wine and chocolate, and that is getting me out for my run :o

All things in balance :D

All things in balance :D

Very true.... before i would have had the wine and chocolate and did no run :D i have learned alot ;)

Not feeling the love for running at the moment - enjoying the gym much more. .

Just wrote similar in my log, loving bootcamp at the moment.

Feel myself getting better at it, cant really feel myself getting better at running.

Sure at least we are doing something!

ILOVERED wrote: »
    Just wrote similar in my log, loving bootcamp at the moment.

Feel myself getting better at it, cant really feel myself getting better at running.

Sure at least we are doing something!

ilovered about a year ago i was doing the same. I did a BC in malahide and loved it but my times for running were pretty brutal. And i came onto boards and asked why... someone suggested that BC wasn't doing my running any good!!! i kept with my BC as it motivated me loads and i loved it. But due to the recession and the cost of BC i stopped going and got out for more runs instead... was cheaper. But my times have improved in running too. But as someone said to me on here if BC motivates you to exercise keep doing it. ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    ilovered about a year ago i was doing the same. I did a BC in malahide and loved it but my times for running were pretty brutal. And i came onto boards and asked why... someone suggested that BC wasn't doing my running any good!!! i kept with my BC as it motivated me loads and i loved it. But due to the recession and the cost of BC i stopped going and got out for more runs instead... was cheaper. But my times have improved in running too. But as someone said to me on here if BC motivates you to exercise keep doing it. ;)

Nules, yeh this makes sense I know that myself, I dont really run enough to be giving out about my times ( whiich I have phases of!).
    But I had no fitness what so ever when I started bootcamp last June, because of bootcamps I have been able to run, something I never thought I would do. I like the banter of working out with others. I do love running tho when I have the love for it:p, its just I find it much eaisier to head to bootcamp then headout for a run. I love long runs at the weekend with Maria, short ones squeezed in in the evening after a days work and the kids to bed are tough work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Yeah I have to agree, running can get a bit lonely. Bootcamp is a bit of craic and you can feel it working.
    Love getting out for a run though but life definatly gets in the way. Hopefully we can combine both a bit better over the summer when we have a little more time....:p

3 nights of bootcamp a week for a month now should be fun!!

Advertisement