Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nules10 wrote: »
    Oh i know the feeling :) except the only thing i am loving at the moment is wine and chocolate, and that is getting me out for my run :o

Snap...btw you sure that's all you're loving :P
    ILOVERED wrote: »
    Just wrote similar in my log, loving bootcamp at the moment.

Feel myself getting better at it, cant really feel myself getting better at running.

Sure at least we are doing something!

Do you want to change this entry after your weekend LSR :D. It's funny how quickly it all changes isn't it and how two people on the same run can feel very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

:p:p
    I know I could eat my words tomorrow!!

...well in theory anyway. After a couple of weeks of messing around after Kildare and not really being in the right headspace for running, I finally put a proper plan in place...and no before anyone asks it's not a marathon plan :rolleyes:. Although I will admit to being very tempted!
    I don't really do well unless I have a structured plan to follow so now all I have to do is stick to it...oh and stay away from injuries :pac:

Mon 30th May

Cross training day to start...60 min X...I like!

30 min bike, 15 rower & 15 mins x-trainer followed by strength and stretching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Snap...btw you sure that's all you're loving :P

I am loving life Shaz ;) and cycling :D as a spectator only :)

So where is your plan leading you to????:D

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am loving life Shaz ;) and cycling :D as a spectator only :)

So where is your plan leading you to????:D

My super new plan is leading me to the olympics...seen as I didn't get any bloody tickets, gotta get there somehow!! Not sure what event yet but I'm thinking of trying cycling...know anyone I can get some tips off ;)

• Advertisement

Tues May 31st

Plan was an easy 3 mile run but again awful run. I'll be honest and say nothing has felt right since that deep tissue massage almost 2 weeks ago. Think it may have done more damage than good as I'm still bruised from it and feeling aches where there was never a problem before :(. Not sure what to do really but def feeling worried for Mon now.

Distance: 3.02
    Time:29:00
    Avg Pace: 09:36

[Rant]

Now wondering if its possible to pick up an injury from a deep tissue massage (really deep massage in PT's own words!) or for him to have aggrevated some underlying issue during it???

I had the DT massage 2 weeks ago and my "good" leg has never felt quite right after it - problems with side quad muscle which I have never had previously nor ever felt a tweak from it when running or after Kildare HM. I have noticed it on the couple of runs since the DTM and big-time using the foam roller. It now seems to have had a knock-on effect on my knee as I can't move it properly after the run last night.

On the positive side my bad leg feels grand now that the bruising has finally gone down :rolleyes:.

Gimme a break though from this injury crap - I was only trying to do something proactive by going for one and not pick up another injury :mad:

[/Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Oh thats not good. I don't think you should have any pain. Maybe some soreness the next day or two. I have been getting rubs the past couple of weeks and have been fine the next day. Calves were sore after first one but fine after a day. Since then have been trying to improve my flexibility.

Am running with the guy I get the massages from this evening and then seeing him later on. Knowing you are in the same locality as me I can see if he can fit you in to check you out or I can ask him can I send you on his number.

He only works with runners and is a marathon runner himself so might be helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did you go to a physio for the deep tissue massage? Any pain or stiffness at all before you got it?

Did you go to a physio for the deep tissue massage? Any pain or stiffness at all before you got it?

No it wasn't my regular physio, I went to a Physical Therapist nearby who I had heard good things about for sports massages. I can honestly say no pain or stiffness at all beforehand with that leg which is why I am a bit confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah Shaz it seems to be never-ending for you. I'm having my first sports massage tonight and I'm kinda apprehensive. The legs seem to be fine & I'm afraid that he'll 'hurt' me. I'm such a wuss! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jebas shaz, that's headwrecking :( Seems a long time to be stiff and sore after a DT massage. Are you lashing on the voltorol gel or tiger balm? Hope you feel "right" again asap.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah Shaz it seems to be never-ending for you. I'm having my first sports massage tonight and I'm kinda apprehensive. The legs seem to be fine & I'm afraid that he'll 'hurt' me. I'm such a wuss! :rolleyes:

Oh god don't let my one bad experience put you off a sports massage - still absolutely swear by them. You will probably feel a wee bit of "good" pain during the massage but it's really worth it after - and no its not common to still be in pain 2 weeks after :rolleyes:
    Everybody is different and I think I just had an "unlucky" experience with this particular PT. I am off to see a different one tonight who can hopefully rectify some of the damage done.
    RubyK wrote: »
    Jebas shaz, that's headwrecking :( Seems a long time to be stiff and sore after a DT massage. Are you lashing on the voltorol gel or tiger balm? Hope you feel "right" again asap.

You name it and I am trying it...alternating between Voltorol, tiger balm, arnica, ice, anti-inflammatories, praying, cursing and whinging...you know yourself, you'll try anything! Off to see someone else tonight so hopefully that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah Shaz, that's crap! Really hope tonight helps - at this stage, we'll be helping each other limp over the line on Monday!

So bad news is I'm out of Cork relay - I think I must be jinxed when it comes to anything to do with marathons! Good news is that hopefully I will be back in the next week.

I went to a a different PT last night who restored my confidence in sports massages (thanks P!). He was absolutely disgusted with the treatment I got from the other guy especially when I showed him some of the photos.

I debated whether to post this or not but it will give you some idea of the "bad" massage I got. The attached pic shows one of the many painful bruises after which lasted almost 2 weeks and I have a fairly high tolerance of pain. This is def not normal after a good sports massage and I am raging at him and myself for having put up with it! No pain no gain is not always correct!!

Anyway one of the bruised quads 3 days after massage torture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

God that pic is awful. Seems like you are on the right track now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Holy crap Shaz, I'm looking at that pic on my phone and I nearly flipped, can only imagine what it looks like on a full screen. That's awful! Such a pity about Cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh my God Shaz, that is shocking. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That picture is shocking, especially given that it was the good leg which had no injury. If I were you I would show the first PT that picture and demand my money back. he is lucky you are not asking him for compensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Bloody hell that looks horrific :( I've never had a sports massage & that pic would put me off for life! Sorry to hear you're missing out on the Cork run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Oh my god that is horrendous! it must have been so sore, how the hell was that meant to be good!

I would deffo go back if I was you and show the picture etc.:mad:
    Did you even let him know how you felt in the days afterwards?

I just cant believe that picture :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thats a nightmare that it happened due to some idiot PT, we will miss you in the relay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's horrendous.

Am astonished that a massage can cause that sort of bruising - it's normal to be a bit tender the next day, but that's off the scale.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Shaz, that pic is shocking :( You must have been in awful pain. Sorry you are out of the relay, mind yourself.

Thanks for the comments guys and sorry about the pic :). I will be in Cork to cheer all the boardsies on so will see you before and after race.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    That picture is shocking, especially given that it was the good leg which had no injury. If I were you I would show the first PT that picture and demand my money back. he is lucky you are not asking him for compensation!

He is lucky I don't go around and sock him one with the mood I'm in now....not that I advocate violence in anyway :rolleyes:

opus wrote: »
    Bloody hell that looks horrific :(I've never had a sports massage & that pic would put me off for life! Sorry to hear you're missing out on the Cork run.

No please don't think like that, this was one bad experience. Sports massages done by a good PT are brilliant and I would highly recommend them. The difference between the guy last night and the crap one is like chalk and cheese - I'm heading back tomorrow morn for another one (to the good PT!).

All I'll say is just be careful and make sure the PT communicates with you the whole time on your comfort level and any pain experienced. I just learnt the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Concerned2

Bloody hell Shazkea that bruise looks awful . It would be bad enough if it was only 2 days since you had the trearment but 2 weeks :mad: I've had deep tissue message a number of times from 2 different physios & never had bruising like that. I hope this doesn't totally ruin your running plans for the summer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great that you are still coming down. See you on sunday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bloody f*ck :eek: I thought you originally meant you had a couple of small bruises which is perfectly normal (they're usually thumb shaped :pac: ) but that is unreal.

Has all that bruising died down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Holy crap that looks sore! Can't imagine how you suffered enough during the massage for that much damage, you must be hardcore.

I know someone recently who had a nerve in their arm damaged (setting them back a few months training), sucks when it messes up a good stint of training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Jeez Shaz thats assault!! You poor thing.

Advertisement