Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Shaz, You are having a hard year. But glad to hear you are getting back on track. I am loving the no plan/pressure running at the moment and hope you get the same buzz. You will be back planning in no time!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Had to rescue the poor log from page 7 but just thought I would update it on the slooow recovery!

So in summary fecked up VMO (quad muscle) which in turn meant my hip flexors were tight which led to ITB issues and cue knee problems. So basically been trying to sort these out over the past few weeks.
    My life now revolves around stretches, squats, lunges, side lunges, back lunges....you get the picture...basically everything to strengthen quads and loosen up the hips. The one positive thing about the squats is that the muscles will be well trained for the luxurious hole in the ground toilets in Kilimanjaro :pac:

This week also marked a return to the gym to get some fitness back and I finally feel like I'm making progress. I have done plenty of walks and hiking but tbh they've not been comfortable, it's a bit of a grin and bear it job.

I prob could return to running now but I don't want to risk it but I have a plan ready to go for when I come back :). I can't believe I'm wishing I could fast forward past Kilimanjaro so I can go running again...very sad :rolleyes:. 3 weeks to go to dept date...

Helping out on Sat for the 5 miler so I'll give a shout out to any boardsies I see on the course...assume we've settled on Ryans after too??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shazkea wrote: »
    Helping out on Sat for the 5 miler so I'll give a shout out to any boardsies I see on the course...assume we've settled on Ryans after too??

Of course it's Ryans, we've doubled that place's profits over the last year :p

Of course it's Ryans, we've doubled that place's profits over the last year :p

Right see you there then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, I'll be cheering the guy on too on Saturday. I intend being at the bottom of the kyber :D (cruel me!) I'll text you when I arrive and maybe we can meet up.

Glad that you are finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Shaz, I'll be cheering the guy on too on Saturday. I intend being at the bottom of the kyber :D (cruel me!) I'll text you when I arrive and maybe we can meet up.

That's exactly where I was going to plant myself too :). So yep def text me and I'll see you there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You should wait half way up the kyber and shout abuse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hope you're back to your stride soon Shaz, so jealous of your Kilimanjaro trip! I'm no 877 on Saturday - I might need a hand up the Kyber, or a good kick in a$$ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

There is a nasty streak in the two of you :D I will be the one in a heap at the bottom of the kyber :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What's the Kyber...?! :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    There is a nasty streak in the two of you :D I will be the one in a heap at the bottom of the kyber :rolleyes:

Don't mind 'Carry on up the kyber'.. It will be Full Metal Jacket
    We will get you up that hill missus :D

Don't mind 'Carry on up the kyber'.. It will be Full Metal Jacket

Are you bringing a wheelbarrow with you ;)

Are you bringing a wheelbarrow with you ;)

How much would you be willing to pay?

K think we could make a fortune scamming helping people :D

So here is a different report on the 5 miler yesterday...from a volunteer/supporter point of view :).

Up very early on a wet and windy sat morn to get to the park to help out...barely a soul around and could choose whatever parking spot I wanted. Then the yellow volunteer t-shirt/tent was put on...you think the race t-shirts are bad, think again!! Certainly not a fashion statement. Volunteer duties over for a while I headed over to watch the start and got to see Raycun in his moment of glory leading the wave with meno and pistol not far behind for the boardsies team!

Met up with jcsmum for supporting duties then. You know it's hard work supporting with all that clapping and shouting :D.
    Also so hard to pick out people with all the faces coming at you. So to those of you that had to actually shout at us...eh sorry about that :(. To those of you we gave a heart attack too...twas very funny. To those we saw in time...hope we helped in someway. Finally to Digger...sorry for giving the game away and Mr Slow you're welcome for the tip off :)

First time I that I really missed running in a while though so got out on the bike when I got home - slightly made up for it.

Well done to everyone yesterday including my fellow volunteers :)

Met up with jcsmum for supporting duties then. You know it's hard work supporting with all that clapping and shouting :D.
    Also so hard to pick out people with all the faces coming at you. So to those of you that had to actually shout at us...eh sorry about that :(. To those of you we gave a heart attack too...twas very funny. To those we saw in time...hope we helped in someway. Finally to Digger...sorry for giving the game away and Mr Slow you're welcome for the tip off :)

I don't think people realise the effort involved in cheerleading. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I don't think people realise the effort involved in cheerleading. ;)

Thanks to you both for the rallying cry. Definitly needed it at that stage.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Thanks to you both for the rallying cry. Definitly needed it at that stage.

And well done you, super time!!!

Ok not strictly a running log for the next few weeks but I want to track my cross-training at the moment as I keep forgetting what I have done :rolleyes:. No better place to do it than here...

Sat July 23rd: Gym work
    Bike 20 km @26.31
    Cross trainer 10 km
    Treadmill: Incline intervals 15 - 20% 40 mins

Sun July 24th:
    Cycle 30km @22.65...(f**king MTB :mad:*)

15 Squats
    15 Lunges (x each leg)
    1 Min Plank
    15 Shoulder Press
    15 Overhead Press (each hand)
    Repeat x 3

Mon July 25th: Gym
    Cycle 20km @24.32 (hill program)
    Rower: 3000m
    20 mins strength & stretch

20 Squats
    15 Lunges (x each leg)
    Repeat x 2 (lazy mood)

*I've made a deal with myself that if I get to 500km over the next few weeks on the bike, I can get a road bike instead of that slow coach mountain bike. Only 430km more to go :D

Cycling and squats/lunges have really helped quads over last few weeks so will need to keep that up when I'm back running. This is the first week I can go and down stairs without so much as a niggle....very happy days!

Phew... thought we had lost you to the cycling forum :D

Tues 26th July

Cardio rest day so an easy stroll around Skerries.

Usual 3 x
    20 Squats
    15 Lunges (x each leg)
    1 Min Plank
    20 Shoulder Press
    20 Overhead Tricep Press (each hand)
    20 Butterflies
    kettlebell Exercises (don't know the names!)

Squats and Lunges getting too easy so need to add weights. Also need to add in one leg squats - not looking forward to that

Phew... thought we had lost you to the cycling forum :D

You might yet :D.
    New Road bike selected as I know I will get to 500km easily so just need to sort paperwork and collect it. I can't wait...it's so light compared to MTB (shame about the cyclist though :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm tired just reading about all of those exercises.

New Road bike selected as I know I will get to 500km easily so just need to sort paperwork and collect it. I can't wait...it's so light compared to MTB (shame about the cyclist though :o)

Awww looks so fancy Cadel ;).. can i have a backer when you get it.

Awww looks so fancy Cadel ;).. can i have a backer when you get it.

No get your own :p

Wed July 27th Gym

Bike Intervals: 5 min w/u, 10 x (30 sec flat out high resistance +1:30 recovery) 4 min w/d - 12km @ 24:32 kmph
    Not sure if this workout makes sense but it was tough going in the later intervals, jelly legs after! Aim is to reduce recovery time to 30 secs

Stepper: 20 min Hill Program @ level 15

3 x

20 squats (added 6kg kettlebell)...fook that certainly made it harder!
    20 x Dumbbell (8kg) single arm row thingy
    20 lunges (each leg)
    20 x Kettlebell swings (8kg)
    10 single leg squats (each leg obviously...jaysus :eek:)
    20 x Shoulder Press

Legs knackered with a capital K after this session :(. Like I say this better help the legs when I get back running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow, all that hard work is surely going to stand to you, for when you get back running! Great stuff :)

And best of luck with the new wheels!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's a very nice bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Wow, fancy wheels ;) and some serious gym work going on, fair play missus! How long now till Kilimanjaro?

racheljev wrote: »
    Wow, fancy wheels ;) and some serious gym work going on, fair play missus! How long now till Kilimanjaro?

Yeah the bike feels great, can't wait to collect it...frigging BTW paperwork - I was looking for a pink one with tassles but alas couldn't find one...such a shame :D.
    Kilimanjaro is w-end after this :eek:

Thur July 28th - Bike

I was so tempted to go for a run this evening, even pulled on the running gear and garmin but decided against it and instead put on the cycling helmet instead! First half of cycle was brill, second half into a shocking headwind and felt like I was going nowhere on that mountain bike. Discovering a whole new communication code amongst cyclists too...tis a whole new world!!
    25km @ 25.20kmph

Back home similar set to last night for core/strength.
    3 x

20 squats (added 6kg kettlebell)
    20 x kettlebell (8kg) single arm row thingy
    20 lunges (each leg)
    20 x Kettlebell swings (8kg)
    10 single leg squats (each leg)
    1 Min Plank
    20 x Shoulder Press

Q: Anyone who cycles got any idea of what pace I should be aiming for on cycles - clueless really :o. Is the 25kmph I did this eve average for a noobie or too slow? Should I generally be aiming for 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Wow, there's some serious hard work going on at the minute, at this rate you'll power up Kilimanjaro with no probs. 25kmph sounds good, maybe try an occasional longer or hilly spin. Wait till you get going on that gorgeous Ridley and you'll be flyin it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Q: Anyone who cycles got any idea of what pace I should be aiming for on cycles - clueless really :o. Is the 25kmph I did this eve average for a noobie or too slow? Should I generally be aiming for 30?

well I thought I was doing well averaging between 22-26 depending how far I'm going/ hills etc:o . As a fellow noob I've been reading around this and the general advice seems to be that you will just naturally get faster the more you do so just stick at it and it'll happen. I'm not getting out much at the minute though and probably won't til kids are back at school.
    Oh and by the way I got way faster when I got my new bike ;)

Advertisement