Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

pistol_75 wrote: »
    If you go out the top gate at Ardgillan and turn left this brings you down the hill. The hill starts from under the railway bridge at barnageera and up to the gates.

Please don't bracket me with that other shower (yet anyway) :)

OMG you nutter...it's not the hill I'd be worried about there, it's the speedy cars on those blind bends :eek:. I'm scared to cycle there let alone run it...

So it's a yes to Ardgillan reps but a polite "thank you but no frigging way you nutter/sadist!" to that road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Please don't bracket me with that other shower (yet anyway) :)

I feel like the villan now. I'll have to grow a long pointy moustache and wear a top hat in future. Might even have to tie Pistol to the train tracks at the bridge at Barnageera. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Aimman wrote: »
    Might even have to tie Pistol to the train tracks at the bridge at Barnageera. ;)
    Was over that way today thought i saw someone struggling alright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nules10 wrote: »
    Was over that way today thought i saw someone struggling alright ;)

Wasn't me I'm in Germany till tomorrow night. If you want to see me struggling you'll see me in Kildare on Sunday.

Wasn't me I'm in Germany till tomorrow night. If you want to see me struggling you'll see me in Kildare on Sunday.

oh +1 on that. Best of luck - what are you aiming for?

• Advertisement

"Easy" session in the physio last night to ease out quad for Sunday. It seems better now but just have to get rid of the bruising - arnica is my new BFF!! Will try an easy run with Nules tonight to test it out...no hills :)...fingers crossed!

shazkea wrote: »
    Will try an easy run with Nules tonight to test it out...no hills :)...fingers crossed!
    I am all on for an easy run this evening and under no circumstances will i be doing hills...... but i am not sure of where to run in skerries so if there is a hill i definitely didn't plan it :)

:D. Wasn't you so. You will have no bother on sunday you did a great run last week in the park and flew up that hill. Best of luck pistol on sunday

I am all on for an easy run this evening and under no circumstances will i be doing hills...... but i am not sure of where to run in skerries so if there is a hill i definitely didn't plan it :)

Ha, how long are you planning on running for? - may have to just wait for you by kiosk :D. Is the route from car park, along coast path and along by beach not flat - bar a little incline - with out and back, would that not give you about 3 miles? Add another 1 heading into town and back??

Ha, how long are you planning on running for? - may have to just wait for you by kiosk :D. Is the route from car park, along coast path and along by beach not flat - bar a little incline - with out and back, would that not give you about 3 miles? Add another 1 heading into town and back??

Hal says 3 miles for me today so thats all i am doing :) don't want to be messing with the plan at this stage. And i am sure somewhere in the small print of his plan it said to have ice cream after :D
    Would think over the beach and back is about 3 alright. Sure we can run around the kiosk with our ice creams to make up any shortfalls we may have ;)

• Advertisement

Hal says 3 miles for me today so thats all i am doing :) don't want to be messing with the plan at this stage. And i am sure somewhere in the small print of his plan it said to have ice cream after :D
    Would think over the beach and back is about 3 alright. Sure we can run around the kiosk with our ice creams to make up any shortfalls we may have ;)

Wouldn't want to mess with Hals planning so a 3 is fine by me too....jeez the sacrifices I make!!
    We're checking that kiosk closure time before we start. We may be starting out with a cone in our hands if its an early closure - which wouldn't be the best idea as I'm lactose intolerant....just forewarning you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm doing 17 in the Park (Knockmaroon Hill included) this evening if that's any good to you girls:D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm doing 17 in the Park (Knockmaroon Hill included) this evening if that's any good to you girls:D;)

Ah such a shame you didn't tell me in time, Nules would be devastated if I re-arranged our planned easy run. Enjoy!!

How about reps on the evil hill next week instead to make up for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Wouldn't want to mess with Hals planning so a 3 is fine by me too....jeez the sacrifices I make!!
    We're checking that kiosk closure time before we start. We may be starting out with a cone in our hands if its an early closure - which wouldn't be the best idea as I'm lactose intolerant....just forewarning you!!

Believe there are facilities right beside same kiosk (in Skerries?) :D
    So all is well I believe.
    Lovely evening for a run around Skerries guys. Enjoy.

digger2d2 wrote: »

Awwww just read this now... pity... i would have been well on for that :p

maria74 wrote: »
    Believe there are facilities right beside same kiosk (in Skerries?) :D
    So all is well I believe.
    Lovely evening for a run around Skerries guys. Enjoy.

Ta Maria, it was lovely out there - great wind training for Sun :)

Thur 12th May

Plan: easy 3 mile run followed by dessert :rolleyes:

Not the best run I've ever had but first run since Sat so it was good to get it out of the way. The ice-cream after made it all worth while :p. Running that route will not be a common occurence!

Not feeling a sub 2 in the legs at the moment so decided to shelf that plan for Sunday. Instead I'll work towards Enniscorthy half for that and just try for an improvement on PB on Sunday.

Distance: 3.03
    Time: 28:41
    Pace: 09:28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

The ice-cream after made it all worth while :p.
    YUM!

Good luck on Sunday! You will do great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I WANT ICECREAM!

But enough about me, best of luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Sunday shaz! No bother to ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Not feeling a sub 2 in the legs at the moment so decided to shelf that plan for Sunday. Instead I'll work towards Enniscorthy half for that and just try for an improvement on PB on Sunday.

Don't give up on it yet. You never know how you'll feel on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Thur 12th May

Not the best run I've ever had but first run since Sat so it was good to get it out of the way. The ice-cream after made it all worth while :p. Running that route will not be a common occurence!

Best of luck on Sunday
    I wouldn't rule out your sub 2 effort yet
    You don't know how that run will turn out until you start it.
    You'll wake up to the joys of life on Sunday and could blow your target away!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Thur 12th May

Best of luck Sunday Shaz. The excellent training you had for the three or four weeks before last weekend will reallly help you come Sunday. The weeks rest might be exactly what you needed. As W.B. says, you may end up blowing your target apart. Either way, it's a nice to go into the race with no pressure or high expectations. Just enjoy it and anything can happen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Shaz, enjoy it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck on sunday. Give the sub 2 a lash :D, Enniscorthy might be a slightly tougher course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Looks like the weather might be good judging by today..definatly cooler and a bit of rain to cool you further...all good omens!
    Best of luck! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it, sub-2 all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck today missus, hope you've a good one out there :)

Sun May 15th

Don’t know where to start with this report and to be honest I don’t even want to write it. But the purpose of this log is to record the good, bad and crap days so here goes...
    My head was a bit all over the place on what my strategy was for this race. Line up behind the 2 hr pacers or just go for a safe PB/enjoy the race.

In the end I lined up behind the 2 hr pacers to give it a lash with Nules and we took off (late but not going to discuss organisation here). The first couple of miles went ok if not a bit fast from the pacer but so far so good. But then the first test of the quad was the hill into the curragh which didn’t go very well. I had to stop and walk it – just really sharp pain which is never a good sign. I tried to ease it out on the downhill portion afterwards and it responded a bit so put the foot down and managed to catch up with the balloons.
    The worst was that it didn’t even have to be a big “hill”, just any incline was causing me major grief. So this was my new strategy...walk the hills and try and catch up on the flat...not the most efficient I know. So on I trudged like this and was still on target at mile 9....just about.

Coming into Kildare town was my breaking point which was just after mile 9. I had to walk into Kildare and out of it which resulted in a 10:13 mile...my worst for the day! I realised at that stage the game was up and my sub 2 was gone and boy was I in a foul mood. I ran along with Nules for a little while at this point but I had a puss on me that would stop traffic – sorry hon was not in my most sociable mood :o

It was really hard to motivate myself to keep going knowing that was gone and having to stop to walk up over flupping railway bridges annoyed the hell out of me. It flattened out a bit so tried again to get going and got to mile 12 at 1:51....maybe still an outside chance I thought so put the boot down. Again came to frigging halt on the last hill drag back into the curragh...aaagghh 2 hours beeped at 12.92 :mad::mad:. So I just jogged back in over the finish line. Final Garmin time 2:02:22
    I’m really gutted to be honest but not going to use quad as an excuse. It didn’t help but if I had been faster on the flat I would have made it. Simple reason not fit enough and needed longer LSR’s in the build up.
    It’s hard to take positives from today but I have to learn from this to move forward. I gave it my best but it was just not good enough on the day. There will be other days.
    Last year this was my first half which I did in 2:23 so it is a ~21 min improvement in 12 months.
    I took over 5.5 mins off my previous PB (2:07:58) but if I’m honest that’s really hollow right now.

So Garmin stats...
    Distance: 13.18
    Time: 2.02.22 (PB but not the one I wanted :()
    Avg Pace: 09:17

Congrats to Nules on her PB and apologies for being a moody cow!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the all the good wishes previously...shame I didn't make it, just have to try harder for next one :rolleyes:

Report on previous page if you're bored!!

Advertisement