Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RubyK wrote: »
    Honestly, I was in the same position last year, looking to do my first half and go sub 2 hrs. I had a wedding on the Friday, and enjoyed myself ;) although feeling pretty ropey, I recovered on Saturday, and did the half in Enniscorthy on the Sunday, 1.56.xx.

Seriously, you'll be fine! Go for it :D

Sounds like a plan :). I may be cursing your wisdom on the day though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done Shaz... cracking time. You definitely should go for the sub 2hr for the Kildare... Thrilled for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on logs this morning, so many to get through.
    Way to go on your race. Well done! :)

The Easter egg diet is alive and well in our house too. :o

Tues April 26th

Gym session to loosen the legs out after Mondays 10km. 10 miles on the bike with 40 mins S+S.
    Quad is a bit niggly when running (nothing major) so instead of running through it like I did last time, I will take a rest day this eve and see how it is tomorrow for an easy run. See i have learnt my lesson!!
    Rest day = ice + foam roller torture (+ leftover easter egg) :rolleyes:

(+ leftover easter egg)
    you actually have some left over..... i am on my way down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Shaz, I was away last week so just catching up with your log. Well done on the PB in Ennis, I had wanted to do that race too but it clashed with my holiday. You coming back to the banner in June for the Clare 10k?

Thur - Sat
    Quad was a bit niggly after Mon so decided to swap my planned easy runs for sessions in the gym instead. Fun! Also paid a visit to physio to nip this in the bud and all good...usual story on stretching after runs! Postponed planned LSR to recover from physio!

Sun

Nada - went to support a Clare man teaching the Dubs how to win silverware in Croker instead :)

Mon - LSR
    Plan 13 miles

Cleared for LSR today so took myself off to the park. I was a bit later heading out than planned as I couldn't drag my ass out of the leaba!

First half of the run was great and really enjoyed being in the park on such a fab day. Interesting headwind at times!
    Obviously have a chip on my shoulder about the hills after the GIR because I was attacking them without really thinking about them - clocked a 8 min mile heading up the kyber - slightly too fast for me!
    Mile 8-10 of the run not so nice coz Ipod battery had gone and I was on boring side of park. Back on chesterfield, I got a second wind and started to enjoy it again.
    Watched beeped 13 and time to stop but naturally I had to add on the extra 0.1 for the half :rolleyes:

Distance: 13.11
    Time: 2:10:53
    Avg Pace: 09:59

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hi Shaz, I was away last week so just catching up with your log. Well done on the PB in Ennis, I had wanted to do that race too but it clashed with my holiday. You coming back to the banner in June for the Clare 10k?

Cheers Bally8. It was a really well orgainsed race so I would highly recommend it for next year if you're not on hols :)
    No I won't be around for the the Clare 10km which is a shame. Same weekend as Strawberry Half marathon which I'm hoping to do. Route looks good for 10km. Are you doing it?

Mon - LSR
    Plan 13 miles

Cleared for LSR today so took myself off to the park. I was a bit later heading out than planned as I couldn't drag my ass out of the leaba!

First half of the run was great and really enjoyed being in the park on such a fab day. Interesting headwind at times!
    Obviously have a chip on my shoulder about the hills after the GIR because I was attacking them without really thinking about them - clocked a 8 min mile heading up the kyber - slightly too fast for me!
    Mile 8-10 of the run not so nice coz Ipod battery had gone and I was on boring side of park. Back on chesterfield, I got a second wind and started to enjoy it again.
    Watched beeped 13 and time to stop but naturally I had to add on the extra 0.1 for the half

Distance: 13.11
    Time: 2:10:53
    Avg Pace: 09:59

well done that was great going there. Great pace.

Well done on your LSR. We missed you on Saturday - maybe next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

shazkea wrote: »
    Cheers Bally8. It was a really well orgainsed race so I would highly recommend it for next year if you're not on hols :)
    No I won't be around for the the Clare 10km which is a shame. Same weekend as Strawberry Half marathon which I'm hoping to do. Route looks good for 10km. Are you doing it?

Ya I intend to anyway if the body holds up:) I've done it twice before but not for the last 2 years. Its a fast route so Im hoping to finally go sub60 there:o

Bally8 wrote: »
    Ya I intend to anyway if the body holds up:) I've done it twice before but not for the last 2 years. Its a fast route so Im hoping to finally go sub60 there:o

PMA girl, you will go sub 60 and where better to do it than in Ennis :)

BTW might see you in Cork after the relays

Tues May 3rd

Gym this eve for the usual post LSR session. Really seems to do the trick at loosening out the legs. Quad was a wee bit achy this morning but that seems to have disappeared after some stretching so happy with that. Hill Reps tomorrow...deep joy, can't wait :rolleyes:

Time to hit the hills of Ardgillan again and met up with Nules for a good session.
    Usual 1.76 miles warmup on the "undulating" route and then over to the hill for the reps. Last time we met up there we did 5 and tonight we upped that to 8 (garmin count was 8 Nules so all good!). Cool down run back to the cars with a little run around car park to make it to 3.5 miles and we even stretched after!!

Enjoyed this session and quad held up well - tough going but def worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

great LSR at the weekend and fair play on the hill reps too. I'm a long way off a sub 2 hr HM but maybe someday so watching your log with interest!

(garmin count was 8 Nules so all good!).
    Phew... would have been devastated if it said 6 :D
    Tough session... you did great flying up the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Time to hit the hills of Ardgillan again and met up with Nules for a good session.
    Usual 1.76 miles warmup on the "undulating" route and then over to the hill for the reps. Last time we met up there we did 5 and tonight we upped that to 8 (garmin count was 8 Nules so all good!). Cool down run back to the cars with a little run around car park to make it to 3.5 miles and we even stretched after!!

Enjoyed this session and quad held up well - tough going but def worth it.

Well done girls!

Do you run up the hills at a faster pace then your warm-up or just at a pace that gets you up the hill in one piece??

Yeah, well done to you both! Hill reps are HARD! :(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »

Got some of those coming up at the weekend. :eek:

hollypink wrote: »
    great LSR at the weekend and fair play on the hill reps too. I'm a long way off a sub 2 hr HM but maybe someday so watching your log with interest!

Just a word of warning...you may be waiting a long time to read about a sub 2 report in my log!!
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Phew... would have been devastated if it said 6 :D
    Tough session... we did great flying up the hills.

Firstly fixed your post :). Secondly knew you wouldnt sleep well without the confirmation we did 8 reps!!
    ILOVERED wrote: »
    Well done girls!

Do you run up the hills at a faster pace then your warm-up or just at a pace that gets you up the hill in one piece??

Cheers! In answer to your question, a bit of both!!

Warm up was about a 10:30 pace, not very fast with the inclines in Ardgillan to get up to our hill.
    Reps on the hills are faster than warm-up but not all out sprints as we would like to survive the ordeal! Last night was probably faster than last time. From a quick look at Garmin speed on hills were between 09:15 - 09:45. To be honest no real pace strategy, we are just running them to how we feel.
    Not sure if we are doing these correctly but they are fun in a sadistic way :)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

They are but I am starting to really enjoy running them...damm will need to keep that in check as I wouldn't want to become addicted to hill running :eek:
    Got some of those coming up at the weekend. :eek:

Best of luck with the session, where you heading for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just catching up on the log Shaz, well done with the 10k time and nice pb. Sub 2 hour is there for the taking.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with the session, where you heading for them?
    Bohernabreena church, it's 15 minutes run up the road from me so a nice little warmup too.

They are but I am starting to really enjoy running them...damm will need to keep that in check as I wouldn't want to become addicted to hill running :eek:

:D I am thinking of running up the sugar loaf fancy joining me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

It's a bit grim, IMHO, the Sugarloaf - the top's not runnable, and the angle goes from handy to savidge all at once.

Good options around there include Sugarloaf from the GAA pitches (mostly runnable, except for the summit cone), and (I really like) little Sugarloaf, which has fab sea views and is 100% runnable with care.

Of course, Djouce is altogether more runnable, but longer.:)

brownian wrote: »
    It's a bit grim, IMHO, the Sugarloaf - the top's not runnable, and the angle goes from handy to savidge all at once.

Good options around there include Sugarloaf from the GAA pitches (mostly runnable, except for the summit cone), and (I really like) little Sugarloaf, which has fab sea views and is 100% runnable with care.

Of course, Djouce is altogether more runnable, but longer.:)
    Oh god brownian i need to clarify here that i am totally joking.... i could barely walk up it last week :D is it easier to run it;)

Sorry, Nules - must be having a sense of humour shortage today. Thought those smiles were in anticipation, rather than in irony :o

Really, though, there's lovely running on the hills. The Dublin Mountains Way from 3 Rock towards Tibradden is so much more fun than road-running that you'll wonder what you were doing on the pavements. Slower, though!

Sorry, Nules - must be having a sense of humour shortage today. Thought those smiles were in anticipation, rather than in irony :o

Really, though, there's lovely running on the hills. The Dublin Mountains Way from 3 Rock towards Tibradden is so much more fun than road-running that you'll wonder what you were doing on the pavements. Slower, though!

:D thats ok Brownian we all have those days.
    But you have ALMOST convinced me on the mountain running ;) Almost......... :D just have to convince shaz... good luck with that though :)

It's not mountain running in the sense of panting IMRA savages throwing themselves down cliffs (with apologies to the IMRA savages on here!)...I'm just talking about cruising along the ridge line,checking out the scenery, with a cool breeze, a warm sun, some good company and no cars, no concrete, nothing but you and the big wide world....

why am I sitting in front of this thing, typing??:eek:

Ennyway - give it a spin sometime :)

• Advertisement

Know the route and you're right, it is lovely. Nice slog jog on the way up
    Nules10 wrote: »
    :D thats ok Brownian we all have those days.
    But you have ALMOST convinced me on the mountain running ;) Almost......... :D just have to convince shaz... good luck with that though :)

Eh missus don't go using me as an opt out. I'd be well on for it some weekend....bring it on :D

Ennyway - give it a spin sometime :)

We will :D

Advertisement