Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Intervals.......Look at you....Next you'll be posting V02 Max and Lactic Threshold sessions.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RayCun wrote: »
    The 5k and 10k plans I've followed have the intervals at around 5k pace. Basically, at the start of the training plan you run shorter intervals, at your current 5k pace, and as you get closer to your goal race you get closer to your target pace, and run longer intervals.

Micilin, if you set up an intermediate workout on your 305, each interval will be a lap, so you'll see your pace for that interval. It's really not complicated to set up - you say how long each interval will be, and how long the recovery will be (in distance or time), and a warmup and cooldown. The start of your run is warmup, which continues until you hit the Lap button to start your first interval.

Cheers Ray for the advice. One more ceist for you - what should the recovery time be between the intervals?

I tried intervals for the first time last week too, 5x 400m at my pace for a 5km race. This is from the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon plan.

I'm still trying to work out how to display the current interval's pace on my Garmin 305. There must be some way!

micilin thanks for that. As LB says below just use the arrows to swap displays to see the interval pace. To be honest I found checking the watch very distracting, not to talk of the alerts that I was going too fast.
    littlebug wrote: »
    Won't it do it if you have it on current pace rather than lap pace?

@shazkea that's good going. Intervals is something I've missed out on since not being in a club anymore. You've made me want to do them now!

:D That made me laugh - intervals are not meant to be fun you know!!
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Intervals.......Look at you....Next you'll be posting V02 Max and Lactic Threshold sessions.....:D

Nope they don't have that chapter in Running for Dummies so no idea what you're on about :D...can you set up a Garmin workout for those sessions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shazkea wrote: »
    Cheers Ray for the advice. One more ceist for you - what should the recovery time be between the intervals?

50-90% of the interval time (according to Pfitziger). Which should be enough for your heart rate and breathing to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

5 x 400m Split Pace:
    1. 07:25
    2. 08:05
    3. 07:44
    4. 08:04
    5: 07:16 - gave up trying to slow dow
    n

look at you with your speedy intervals... good going there :)

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    n

look at you with your speedy intervals... good going there :)

I wouldn't call those speedy, I would call them all over the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Best of luck with the intervals shazkea. Have been doing them for the past couple of weeks myself for the first time and have found them great in terms of building speed. My recoveries would be somewhere just under half the time of the interval run if that's any help. Ed.

EdMoses wrote: »
    Best of luck with the intervals shazkea. Have been doing them for the past couple of weeks myself for the first time and have found them great in terms of building speed. My recoveries would be somewhere just under half the time of the interval run if that's any help. Ed.

Thanks Ed. I have been keeping an eye on your progress and intervals and you're doing really well. Actually got a really good link off your log about the VDOT calculator so will use that the next time for intervals. I haven't gotten around to reading about what the hell VDOT is but will use the pace and times recommended :)

Similar to lots of people I've had to re-jig the schedule to fit the LSR in so it was LSR time today. I need to hit the road to the West later so I was in the park early-ish this morning.
    Due to the freakish weather, it was time to resurrect the singlets from the bottom of the wardrobe...flipping thing ended up cutting the underarm off me. I now understand how sore chaffing is :(. Body Glide may be on the shopping list!!

Hated the first couple of miles but then I hit the Kyber and that woke the legs (and me) up and from there it was cruise time. I took in the Furry Glen as well - dunno why I was nervous of that. I was out at Knockmaroon gate before I realised I had finished it. Seemed much bigger during the GIR :rolleyes:...

Nice run and I felt good during it - a lovely muggy day in the park. Some queue for the zoo though, did everyone in Dublin decide to go today.

Distance: 12.04 miles
    Time: 2:01:59
    Avg Pace: 10:08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Similar to lots of people I've had to re-jig the schedule to fit the LSR in so it was LSR time today. I need to hit the road to the West later so I was in the park early-ish this morning.
    Due to the freakish weather, it was time to resurrect the singlets from the bottom of the wardrobe...flipping thing ended up cutting the underarm off me. I now understand how sore chaffing is :(. Body Glide may be on the shopping list!!

Hated the first couple of miles but then I hit the Kyber and that woke the legs (and me) up and from there it was cruise time. I took in the Furry Glen as well - dunno why I was nervous of that. I was out at Knockmaroon gate before I realised I had finished it. Seemed much bigger during the GIR :rolleyes:...

Nice run and I felt good during it - a lovely muggy day in the park. Some queue for the zoo though, did everyone in Dublin decide to go today.

Were you wearing red? I think I spotted you as I drove over to the Papal Cross. If I had known you were going I'd have arranged to meet up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Excellent well done. Did ya don the shorts too ;) I know how you feel about the Furry glen.... it's really not that bad. I think it looks worse when you see hundreds of people on those hills.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Were you wearing red? I think I spotted you as I drove over to the Papal Cross. If I had known you were going I'd have arranged to meet up.

Yeah that was me. Shame we didnt meet up because I would have loved the company. Find long runs really boring on my own now!
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Excellent well done. Did ya don the shorts too ;) I know how you feel about the Furry glen.... it's really not that bad. I think it looks worse when you see hundreds of people on those hills.

No I did the Irish public a favour and did not wear shorts :rolleyes:.

Why do easter eggs always taste soooo good no matter how old you are!!

So after "sampling" some easter eggs for breakfast, I thought it would be a good idea to get out for a quick run. Forgot the garmin so just went for a quick 40 min jog around trails nearby. Felt a bit sluggish which had absolutely nothing to do with the chocolate breakfast ;)

Mon April 25th

This race was a last minute decision due to pressure from friends to run in my home county for a change. So I registered last night and lined up this morning for my first ever race on home soil!!

Good atmosphere at the start and we lined up for an ontime departure. I had no real plan in mind for a time but would have been happy at any improvement over that GIR crappy time.

First mile was good and I let everyone off as I stuck to a comfortable pace. When I checked my watch at mile 1 I realised I was going 8:30 pace and I had a light bulb moment!! Should I just go for it and see if I can get my target 10km time of 53:55 for my sub 2 half attempt! If I blow up so what, it wasn't a planned race anyway.

We hit the backroads/hilly section and I thought feck it, lets go and see what happens. Water station at about 2 miles and I took a small bottle with me as it was quite warm out there. Great local support as people were cheering us on from the houses which was lovely to see.
    Passed the 5km mark with a new unofficial PB so that gave me some confidence. But the next kilometre I struggled a wee bit and thought I've blown it which oddly seemed to take the pressure off. As we turned back onto the main road I knew it was a straight run in with a few drags but nothing I couldn't handle so I gave myself the HTFU speech and put the boot down again.

The last mile was a looooong one but plenty of local support cheering us on so that kept me going. As my watched beeped 6 miles, I thought treat this .2 miles left as an interval and go for it. Lots of encouragement from marshalls and volunteers and as I rounded the corner I saw the clock and just hung on for dear life!
    Final time 53:04 taking 2.5 mins off my previous PB but more importantly beating my target of 53:55. Disgusted at those 4 seconds though :rolleyes:
    GIR nightmare put to bed :D

Time: 53:04 (new PB)
    Distance: 6.24 miles
    Avg Pace: 08:32 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice one Shazkea! Well done - you must be chuffed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Mon April 25th

Disgusted at those 4 seconds though :rolleyes:
    GIR nightmare put to bed :D
    :D:D:D

Well done Shazkea! thats fantastic time you must be delighted!
    Chocolate eggs must do no damage after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB:
    ...I thought treat this .2 miles left as an interval and go for it.

Nice idea - I must try to remember this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good woman! Great time, fair play to ya... now, off you go and have a few more easter eggs, you deserve them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, that’s a nice chunk to knock off a 10k pb.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one, you must be chuffed! Looks like the GIR was just a crappy day for everyone, sometimes when the pressure is off you perform a lot better too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Shaz, that's fantastic running...Well done!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

A great preformance there shaz, you must be delighted. Congrats on the pb! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Absolutely brilliant Shaz! Well done!! :D

Cheers for the good wishes guys, it was nice to see a bit of progress yesterday especially since it wasn't a planned race.
    Alot more work to be done if I am to crack a sub 50 10km :D.

In terms of a sub2 half, I don't think I will be ready for that in 3 weeks time for Kildare but I may look for another half late June or July to have a go at it. The September half seems a long way off!!
    Does this seem unrealistic or should I stick to the original plan for Sept? Again all feedback really welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

My 10km PB is a minute slower than yours, but I got a 1:59 in the Connemarathon Half. If things go your way between now and then I reckon it's doable!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agree - I ran my first sub-2 half (1:58) about two weeks after I ran a 53.55 10k. I still haven't run under 52 minutes for a 10k. Have a go in Kildare anyway, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

I may look for another half late June. Again all feedback really welcome.

You're going to Enniscorthy on the 26th June to smash that sub 2 :pac: The little matter of a wedding the two days before hand isn't a problem, trust me ;)

Agree - I ran my first sub-2 half (1:58) about two weeks after I ran a 53.55 10k. I still haven't run under 52 minutes for a 10k. Have a go in Kildare anyway, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

Really :eek:, was thinking that was way too soon. Damm now that thought is in my head!

RubyK wrote: »
    You're going to Enniscorthy on the 26th June to smash that sub 2 :pac: The little matter of a wedding the two days before hand isn't a problem, trust me ;)

Lol - love the positivity. I will check out the website and see. No point in telling myself I won't drink at wedding coz that's just a daft suggestion...but maybe balance every drink with a pint of water :)

• Advertisement

Honestly, I was in the same position last year, looking to do my first half and go sub 2 hrs. I had a wedding on the Friday, and enjoyed myself ;) although feeling pretty ropey, I recovered on Saturday, and did the half in Enniscorthy on the Sunday, 1.56.xx.

Seriously, you'll be fine! Go for it :D

Advertisement