Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mania Meet Up Thread *details in OP, please read*

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Anyone know if any Dublin pubs (or any places/pubs around) are showing Wrestlemania on a big screen this year?

Just think it would be class for a load of people to meet up and enjoy it...

:)

~ Burswood.

MOD EDIT: This is likely to be held at Peadar Kearneys Bar or the Citi Bar hotel. Keep an eye on the thread for updates

from DB: QUESTIONAIRE FOR EVERYBODY
    1) Are you going to watch the PPV with us? Yes answers continue on.

2) Are you willing to stay in the hotel and help out the group to make this definitely happen?

3) If you are staying at the hotel are you bringing somebody? How much?

4) If you aren't staying at the hotel would you be willing to pay between 10 and 20 euro to watch it? You will have to pay in to watch guys to help out the rest of us and it is a possibility that we're going to need to chip in to pay for another room/s.

OK guys its OK to start booking rooms now. Its probably better to ring them instead of doing it online because you'll be able to say you're just staying for the PPV.

http://www.dublincitihotel.com/

or

01-6794455

Hope to see ye there.

For The Mania Meet Up - Are you 62 votes

Definitely Going
    0%
    Maybe Going
    24%
    [Deleted User]Legend_DITThe VoltShane-KornSpaceCharisteasCMpunkedDiabhal BeagwaltersobchakchordtypeAviandavrhoXinkaiHow Soon Is NowiambrazilTerryTibbs! 15 votes
    Going Alone
    22%
    Reganio 2flahavajbrianblazeD.QGarseysparker kentD2DjohnnycnandyJP Liz V1TerryTibbs!thebostoncrabTOPDAWG2.0messi1985Meesared 14 votes
    Bringing someone (please specify in thread)
    8%
    CharisteasjohnnycnandyiambrazilBeefy78TerryTibbs! 5 votes
    Staying ina hotel
    11%
    CMpunkedDiabhal BeagAviandavrhoXinkaiTerryTibbs!thebostoncrab 7 votes
    Going home / staying at a friends after
    8%
    CMpunkedDiabhal BeagD2DjohnnycnandyTerryTibbs! 5 votes
    If we screen it at one of the hotels. Would people be willing to stay in that hotel for the night
    12%
    Legend_DITCharisteaschordtypedavrhoHow Soon Is NowTheEscapistiambrazilTerryTibbs! 8 votes
    Not willing to stay in same hotel
    12%
    D.QCMpunkedDiabhal BeagXinkaiD2DjohnnycnandyTerryTibbs!thebostoncrab 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I remember before people had gone to a hotel and rented a place to watch Mania IIRC.

Maybe this could finally be the PW Meet-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Maybe this could finally be the PW Meet-up.

If it couldnt be done for mania, then theres no hope!
    It would be amazing if the strings could be pulled to get it.

I'm sure if we can organise a get-together we could all chip in and bring drink or whatever at the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I think one of these threads pops up most years and the simple answer is that it's hard to find a pub etc to show it because the latest closing time on a Sunday night is 1.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

If we screen it at one of the hotels. Would people be willing to stay in that hotel for the night
    I would be up for this. Like Degag said, pubs will close at 1:30 on a Sunday Night / Monday Morning, so I think the best bet would be a hotel which is open 24 hours.

Not sure what the hotel laws are with liquor licenses, but hell I would rather watch WrestleMania with 20 other guys drinking Pepsi, rather than on my own drinking beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This would be class actually never watched it with anyone but myself lol.

Cant think of anywhere that would be open let alone show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cinemas in the States show all the wwe ppvs, that'd be the job, crowd atmosphere even if its just watching it on a screen, pity itd never happen here cos of the time difference

Hey lads.

Mania is only a few short weeks away so a few of us in another thread have started wondering about the possibility of a gang of us meeting up for it (when's a better time than Mania?).

Anybody up for such a thing? We started a meet-up thread before Christmas and it fell apart so maybe this is our chance to meet the sexy members of the PW Forum.

Going to start a poll too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Going Alone
    PW meet ups have been planned multiple times and never ever happen. Unless its a show that everyone's going to anyway you might as well forget about it, and even then most people would rather not when push comes to shove.

Going Alone
    PW meet ups have been planned multiple times and never ever happen. Unless its a show that everyone's going to anyway you might as well forget about it, and even then most people would rather not when push comes to shove.

Sunday night also is bad night for most people with school/work/college the next day.

• Advertisement

All good points but why not try and see anyway.

Going Alone
    All good points but why not try and see anyway.

True bai.

Just be prepared for a loads of people to say "shur why not" now that it seems quite far away but then come up with convenient excuses at the last minutes. Happens every time.

Definitely don't go paying any money to book somewhere anyway, you could be left with a big bill.

Sin é. Going to see if demand is there. If we get at least 10 people who say they'll come that means at least 6 will show up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd really love to do this but I do have exams the following week. I'd go to a house or a bar and I;d definitely chipping in. We'll have to see really. I wish I had a nice gaf to have you guys round.

Since Sunday night is so bad for everyone, maybe Monday evening would be much better....:confused: I know it's mania but practical-wise...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

your all welcome round mine for it, just pay your own bus fare etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Charisteas wrote: »
    I would be up for this. Like Degag said, pubs will close at 1:30 on a Sunday Night / Monday Morning, so I think the best bet would be a hotel which is open 24 hours.

Not sure what the hotel laws are with liquor licenses, but hell I would rather watch WrestleMania with 20 other guys drinking Pepsi, rather than on my own drinking beer.

In a hotel, you will need to either be a resident or a guest of a resident to drink after hours and only in your room or the hotel bar. It would not be possible to take out a room for a hiring/showing of WM that late as the licence laws cover a gathering even if those at it are residents though they could show WM on the TV in a bar. Finding a hotel to do it would be another trick together as you will need to find people to take out rooms and a hotel willing to buy it on PPV.

Best bet is to bail over to somebody's gaff and sit it out or else show it the night after in a room in a pub (Cheaper by far).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

Degag wrote: »
    I think one of these threads pops up most years and the simple answer is that it's hard to find a pub etc to show it because the latest closing time on a Sunday night is 1.30am.

Fair enough...

But, would we be able to persuade a single pub to show it if they knew they'd get the business that late at night on a Sunday.. ??

Burswood wrote: »
    Fair enough...

But, would we be able to persuade a single pub to show it if they knew they'd get the business that late at night on a Sunday.. ??

A pub needs an exemption to stay open later and it needs to be applied for in advance from the courts so it can't be done on the spur of the moment. In any case, 1:30AM is not even half way through the show so you're as well to watch it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Best bet find a struggling hotel or golf resort with sky box office and a HD projector, say we'll pay admission aswell as for drinks, regardless of alcohol permissions as long as we can get water it'll do and try sweeten the deal. Most golf courses will run an all night lounge, and would be happy to get some business this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

A pub needs an exemption to stay open later and it needs to be applied for in advance from the courts so it can't be done on the spur of the moment. In any case, 1:30AM is not even half way through the show so you're as well to watch it at home.

Love the optimistic look you're taking at this :P

But, but but but.... We could get an exception. No?

• Advertisement

Xinkai wrote: »
    Best bet find a struggling hotel or golf resort with sky box office and a HD projector, say we'll pay admission aswell as for drinks, regardless of alcohol permissions as long as we can get water it'll do and try sweeten the deal. Most golf courses will run an all night lounge, and would be happy to get some business this time of year.
    Now this is what I like to hear. Any recommendations on possible golf courses?

Love the optimistic look you're taking at this :P

But, but but but.... We could get an exception. No?

Awwwww, poor diddums :D

An exemption has to be applied for weeks ahead and at €435 per night, you'd need to cough that up for a 1:30AM finish. Sorry if it sucks but that's the law as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,953 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv a bounty on my head so i think ill be giving that invitation a miss, dog. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why a hotel or bar.....a house provided by some one with a few cans should do ye!

That would be brilliant but that's only if somebody would be willing to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Sirsok wrote: »
    Why a hotel or bar.....a house provided by some one with a few cans should do ye!

Well i would favour a neutral ground. Somewhere public is a lot easier to chill in.

All we need is someone to call up a few (as has already been said) struggling hotels, get them to agree to doing it. Hell, booking 20ish rooms should seal the deal! After a hotel gives the go ahead, it will be very easy to get people on board with the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

First off, pubs and hotels are probably out of the question. I know a pub or 2 that would stay open and put on Mania for the locals but that would be a stretch.
    Honestly, I would be up for a Wrestlemania meet up with a few of you guys! would be great to diss the WWE Creative in person ;).

In reality tho, unless someone has their own gaff and is willing to have a few strangers over for the night, then it will never happen!!

That is the big ask so far. I understand that it would be difficult to set up a pub or hotel meet-up.

Gaff-wise I'm living with the parents so that would be out of the question for me to have a bunch of lads over to Galway.

The good thing is we have 4 weeks to set something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

If this does happen, and it's somewhere like Dublin or Galway, then i'd be glad to travel with someone from around Tipp :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Fair enough...

Yes you could, but the group would (probably) have to pay for the PPV, which on a commercial licence would be over €300. Remember ordering a match years ago on Prem Plus with 3 people in the bar and was quoted €329.:eek: No thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement