Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Two actionless episodes + Korra getting her avatar **** together + word of Kuvira moving on Zaofu = ****'s going down next Friday. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Things are coming full-circle a bit. Korra's reference to 'the old-me' was kinda interesting in that, she started overkeen to scrap and now has developed a more Aang-like aversion to violence where possible. Aang went the opposite route and had to overcome his pacifistic ways to become a fully-realized Avatar. Kinda the worst time, mind. Considering The Earth Empire's quasi Project Manhattan shtick.

That said, still kinda geared toward seeing Korra clock Kuvira and her fella in the cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the inevitable blow up and massive release of spiritual energy that'll happen due to Varrick's project.

A real surprise for me in this episode actually was Zhu Li, especially during the fight with Batar and his lieutenants. I'm not convinced she's really joined Kuvira.

Chimaera wrote: »
    A real surprise for me in this episode actually was Zhu Li, especially during the fight with Batar and his lieutenants. I'm not convinced she's really joined Kuvira.

Yeah, that was a huge amount of development for Zhu Li in one episode. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she's playing Kuvira and remains loyal to Varrick.

This season doesn't compare to Book 3 at all in my opinion. So little action, so much diplomacy. I was hoping this week's episode would bring it up a notch but still fairly tame. I really hope all of this buildup pays off in a big way. Almost every episode of Book 3 had an amazing action scene... Seems like it was just a perfect season and can't be matched or improved upon.

• Advertisement

Yeah, having seen a slight preview of next week. (not spoiling anything really, but just in case there's a puritan lurking)
    Sh*t is going down a-proper next week

Actually, I'll go again in case the speculation gets too close to a nerve,
    but the fact AvatarSteve on the Korra Wiki pointed out that the next Avatar in the cycle is due to be one born of The Earth Kingdom/Empire. It makes me fear somewhat for Korra's chances a little, as slaying Korra'd give Kuvira room to rear the next one in her image.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a huge amount of development for Zhu Li in one episode. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she's playing Kuvira and remains loyal to Varrick.
    I'd be shocked if she's changed. I thought it was extremely obvious that she's loyal to him but using this opportunity to get inside information.
    This season doesn't compare to Book 3 at all in my opinion. So little action, so much diplomacy.
    But that to me is the point, right? Korra herself is trying to remove the violence angle. Kuvira, to many, isn't clearly bad like the Lotus gang were or Amon. She's got huge support so to attack her invites all-out civil war.
    Now Korra might not have the choice but the route so far makes sense and it shows how the characters have matured enough to not just leap in and bend everywhere without trying alternate routes.

Dunno if anyone's still keeping up with it (t'is the dangers of on-demand viewing, I guess), but this week's ep was a nice flashback to somewhat lighter days of Book 1/2. It was fun seeing Korra going outright slick again, considering we've spent the first half of the season watching her get decked to varying degrees, and Team Avatar held theirs too.

Kinda of a wonky segue, but I dunno how anyone can watch that interplay between Asami and Korra before the lunch and not think the lads were outright baiting the Korasami shippers.

I've been keeping up with it. It's been a little underwhelming for what is the show's finale. It feels like they're going to have to cram in a huge amount of action in the next 5 episodes.

So 6th last episode ever, in a season that's been slow so far, and they do a trip down memory lane? Seriously?

Granted it was amusing and quite sweet but come on guys - it feels like you're going out with a whimper rather than a roar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

So 6th last episode ever, in a season that's been slow so far, and they do a trip down memory lane? Seriously?

Granted it was amusing and quite sweet but come on guys - it feels like you're going out with a whimper rather than a roar.

Apparently Nick pulled some money and it was either stick in a cheap to make clip show or lay off some staff

It's a bummer they didn't go more roundabout with the clip-show, like Aang did with Ember Island Players. The dialogue got pretty clunky as they tried to set the crew up for what I'm assuming is their role in the final act.

The Fearsome Foursome came as a close as this episode could to redeeming the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

What a waste of time

Heart just sank during that introduction. At least the Varrick section had a light sprinkling of originality. Such a shame Nick did this to such a great show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What a waste of an episode. I wish the season had been 1 episode shorter if they had budget problems rather than give us this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

What a waste of an episode. I wish the season had been 1 episode shorter if they had budget problems rather than give us this crap.

While I wouldn't go so far as to label it crap, I do agree with the suggestion that the season would have been better off without this episode. I'm still a bit in shock that they essentially did a clip show.

And like a previous poster said, it would have been much better if they had done something akin to the Ember Island Players episode of Avatar. It would have been a nice call-back to the original series, and serve to remind us of all the happenings and changes since the show began.

Varricks re-telling was at least amusing, but at this late stage in the game, you'd think that their remaining run-time would be precious, trying to squeeze in as much story as they can to tie up all the various loose ends (although in saying that, there has been a distinct lack of forward momentum this season).
    If this episode WAS a result of budget constraints, then that really is a huge shame.

I'm still holding out hope that they show will have the send-off it deserves :)

Showrunner, writer, co-creator and all-round extraordinaire, Bryan Konietzko, details how a clip-show ended up coming about.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/103173899927/a-few-preemptive-words-about-episode-408
    In a couple hours the eighth chapter of Korra Book 4 will be released online, and I suppose, if you are none the wiser, a few minutes into it you will feel duped and yell at your screen, “Hey! This is a crummy clips episode!” And that is (almost) exactly what it is––except we all worked really hard to make sure at the very least it isn’t crummy. I’m here to explain why we ended up having to do one. Sometime around a year and a half ago we were similarly duped on a large scale. We got the news from the higher-ups that our Book 4 budget was getting slashed, almost to the tune of an entire episode’s budget. We had two options: 1) let go a significant number of crew members several weeks early, or 2) make a clips episode. We never considered the first option. We weren’t going to do that to our crew, and even if we were callous enough to do so, we never would have been able to finish the season without them. But having grown up on TV in the ’80s and ’90s, we all dread clips episodes, where characters sit around saying, “Remember that time when…” and leftover footage is reheated for no one’s enjoyment. Anyone who suffered through TNG’s “Shades of Gray” knows what I’m talking about.

At least he got word out before the show and didn't try pass it off as anything other than a disappointment.

5 episodes left, so I'm wagering we're coming into a 4 or 5 parter to round it all off.

Now, Remembrances did accomplish a little bit, being fair. It really emphasized how much Korra has changed. The character is so much more relatable than the nadir of early Book 2.

^ I was just going to post that same tumblr link. Nick really aren't worthy of this show at all.

^ I was just going to post that same tumblr link. Nick really aren't worthy of this show at all.

They change executives and content so often it's hard to pin down any one decision. I mean, for a time, Nick were grooming Korra to be Spongebob's replacement as the network's flagship, but that sagged and died on the way, along with their enthusiasm for Korra.

• Advertisement

This weeks episode was a definite improvement over the previous couple of weeks, I felt. Some massive progress was made, and it was great to see the return of
    zaheer.

Also, had we previously seen the head of the fire nation before, or was that the first time we'd be introduced to the character? I'd like to have spent a little more time with her, to be honest. Lovely design for her too. Very angular.

This weeks episode was a definite improvement over the previous couple of weeks, I felt. Some massive progress was made, and it was great to see the return of
    zaheer.

Also, had we previously seen the head of the fire nation before, or was that the first time we'd be introduced to the character? I'd like to have spent a little more time with her, to be honest. Lovely design for her too. Very angular.

We saw her at Wu's coronation but she didn't speak.

I agree, there's something impressive about her appearance.

tumblr_nfrgo8OcDr1rvgmr5o3_500.png

I'm impressed by Zaheer's capacity to maintain a goatee. Now, there's a real question.

It was a beautiful episode. Zaheer's about-face was an unexpected boon, but the somewhat relaxed pace of the book thus far really made Korra's return to power all that more emphatic.

Good episode last night. The series finally seems to be coming together. Nice to see all the Beifongs working together, and Kuvira's first major defeat.

I'm still waiting to see the consequences of them firing all this spirit energy around the place: my bet is still on it somehow unlocking Korra's access to her past lives.

I can also see them heading towards a situation like Wan faced where she will have to mediate between humans and spirits to prevent a major conflict. Seems like the spirits are pretty annoyed with humans right now.

I'm still waiting to see the consequences of them firing all this spirit energy around the place: my bet is still on it somehow unlocking Korra's access to her past lives.

I'm banking on the fact they were so quick to establish that all Unavaatu accomplished was to sever the direct link between Avatars; there might be more indirect means of communicating with past Avatars, aside from having a chinwag with Zuko. The Wan tidbit from the tree of life, for example.

That was a fantastic episode anywho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

More Toph automatically makes it an awesome episode. Loved how the generations of Beifongs interacted and the reconciliation was pitched spot on. A great battle scene too - favourite here being when Lin metal bands a suit of armour around her.

The fact Suyin moves like a waterbender has reignited the debate as to Tophka shipping. I think it's being assumed Lin and Suyin have different dads. Yeah....it's ignoring the fact Sokka wasn't a bender, but hey, it must've been in the genepool.

Let's take a moment to appreciate this kids' show portraying this middle-aged woman and loving mother as a complete and utter BAMF.

Legend of Korra. It's doing it right.

Let's take a moment to appreciate this kids' show portraying this middle-aged woman and loving mother as a complete and utter BAMF.

Legend of Korra. It's doing it right.

That particular moment reminded me of a similar move Toph pulled off in one of the airships towards the end of season 3 of Avatar. That whole fight scene was so beautifully choreographed as well.

And I completely agree, the interactions between the Beifongs (particularly Lin and Toph) were great to see.

• Advertisement

Not related to your point but is a metal benders having metal armour is a good idea? Its find against other element benders but surely it's leaving your own armour as something an attacker can use against you if you are fighting another metal bender.

Advertisement