Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I think the days of a static formation i.e. lad at number 6 stopping everything come down the middle are long gone. Some movement which does not need to be clever movement will open up that space. You need to be stopping those runners at source OR deploy a sweeper system (please god no, not again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭rrs

The play is more fluid now, but Cian O Sullivan when playing with Dublin at 6 was predominately a sitting centre half. He didn't need to attack with McCaffrey and McCarthy doing that on the wings, and Cooper from Corner back

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    What was the point starting Smith if that was the case? He kicked a good score, but if was struggling to be fit it was a risk.

His cousin Stephen Smith kicked 2 very good points. He can be a very good player in a few years, if he gets more stronger. He has good vision, good off either foot, and decent pace. Probaly more of a half forward.

Cavan have potentially a few good inside forwards. Pierson, Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith,
    Caoimhin McGovern for next year too. He has good size, just needs to develop more physically.

Because Galligan is carrying an injury too.

The play is more fluid now, but Cian O Sullivan when playing with Dublin at 6 was predominately a sitting centre half. He didn't need to attack with McCaffrey and McCarthy doing that on the wings, and Cooper from Corner back

he operated primarily as a sweeper for dublin

one example
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-kerry-player-ratings-what-hamstring-injury-cian-osullivan-shines-for-dublin-31543069.html

Yes he was a sweeper but he holded the middle too. Dublin changed the set up after Donegal ran through the centre of the defence in 2014.

It wasn't like he was listed as a half forward, and dropping back as a sweeper..

• Advertisement

not going to go around in a circle on this one but he held down the centre because he was a sweeper.
    The days of someone holding down the middle while marking a player are long gone, players are far more mobile than they were 10+ years ago. You stop runners at source or tackle them like Faulker did (game saving tackle BTW)

He held down the position as sweeper because it needed to be fixed. Ryan McHugh ran through centre of defence in 2014 and Donegal got 3 goals.

But yes Centre forwards and center back don't play the traditional roles now, I know that

You'd miss the discussion of the Ulster Club. The Senior Champions falling at the first hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any news on injuries or team news for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What was the point starting Smith if that was the case? He kicked a good score, but if was struggling to be fit it was a risk.

His cousin Stephen Smith kicked 2 very good points. He can be a very good player in a few years, if he gets more stronger. He has good vision, good off either foot, and decent pace. Probaly more of a half forward.

Cavan have potentially a few good inside forwards. Pierson, Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith,
    Caoimhin McGovern for next year too. He has good size, just needs to develop more physically.

Not to forget Dara Mc too hopefully if he returns for next year. I do think it will be another twelve months before him and Moynagh come back though given Moynagh’s interview earlier in the year with The GAA Hour.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game, good to see we’re on TV again. Will be interesting to see the line up.

Hopefully there’s no complacency. Antrim have a few old hands back and let’s not forget how written off everyone had us last week.

• Advertisement

McConville is generally on the BBC for the games, gives good analysis. Canavan was on last week also.

Different type of game this week. Cavan going in as favourites, while they were underdog playing a rival last week. Knockout football so anything can happen.

The BBC showing Fermangh v Down live on Sunday also.

McConville is generally on the BBC for the games, gives good analysis. Canavan was on last week also.

Different type of game this week. Cavan going in as favourites, while they were underdog playing a rival last week. Knockout football so anything can happen.

The BBC showing Fermangh v Down live on Sunday also.

Listening to Mickey Graham’s interview with We Are Cavan there, no new players coming back to the panel from injury this weekend and James Smith is out.

I really have a wary feel about this. Antrim have nothing to lose, have established players back and will be delighted it’s Cavan they are playing as they have a great record against us.

Good to hear Oisin Pierson is alright. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mickey just names the same team with Conroy coming in for Smith.

Yeah I read an article from the Antrim manager. They coaxed a few lads back this year in the hope of being promoted, instead of training 4 nights the older lads would do 2.
    The lads they got back all played against Cavan in 09. Paddy Cunnigham, McCann brothers.O Boyle. Cunnigham back for first time since 2014, he had illness too.

I think they will give Cavan a good game, maybe Cavan pulling away in last 10 minutes with the younger legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Would be concerned about this. Last year after we beat Monaghan we were very flat for long spells against Armagh, and Armagh could’ve easily caught us cold.

As highlighted in the Celt, our record against Antrim is absolutely shocking.

Heard Graham’s comments about the squad. Conroy for Smith is a good call. The Holla has been brilliant over the last few years but he was poor the last day. Hope he picks up his form.

Any idea on what injury Madden has?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Does anyone have a link where I could stream tomorrow's game? I don't have BBC 2 where I am atm.

The BBC iPlayer won't let me watch it (not in the UK) and GAAGO says it's not available in Ireland either. Looks like it could be a Northern Sound job like last week! (which was bloody exciting in fairness...I can't even remember the last time I listened to a Champo match on the wireless! )

Does anyone have a link where I could stream tomorrow's game? I don't have BBC 2 where I am atm.

The BBC iPlayer won't let me watch it (not in the UK) and GAAGO says it's not available in Ireland either. Looks like it could be a Northern Sound job like last week! (which was bloody exciting in fairness...I can't even remember the last time I listened to a Champo match on the wireless! )

Could you use a VPN to stream on BBC iPlayer?

Could you use a VPN to stream on BBC iPlayer?

I'll have to try that, although I did read in the iPlayer small print, that if you can't stream, it's either because you're not in the UK, or using a VPN, so their site mightn't work with a VPN. Won't know until I try it I guess, so I was just fishing for a handier direct link, that people may have used before!

Try hola app it's free and has worked for me in the past

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Try hola app it's free and has worked for me in the past

Cool...I'll check that out.

Same team named bar Paul Graham in for the injured James Smith.

https://ulster.gaa.ie/ulster-senior-football-championship-qr/

Liam Buchanan on the bench. I don’t think he was the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Very wasteful so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Lads your county final this year, both games, were outstanding. High tempo, plenty of direct kicking...and then the county team play this absolute muck. Very frustrating to watch.

What the **** is wrong with them...This is a shambles so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

They'll lose this if they're not careful. Big improvement needed in the second half.
    Are the winners of this out again next weekend?

This is the worst half of football I can ever remember from a Cavan team against a team with lads who are 2 stone overweight....it's absolutely pathetic..

Very very poor performance in the first half,
    Big 2nd half needed
    Gunner with his usual brainfart
    Time to see what these lads are made of
    If we can hold them until the water break I still think we can pull away

Hammar wrote: »
    This is the worst half of football I can ever remember from a Cavan team against a team with lads who are 2 stone overweight....it's absolutely pathetic..

No intensity at all. I think some lads were thinking they only had to show up to win this.

Poor decision by the ref there and the Gunner was doing well.

You’d have to hope we are going to go for it second half. We’re far too wasteful. I don’t think some of the forwards have touched the ball twice and some of them are offloading the ball to backs when in a shooting position.

This was always going to be a difficult game. McHugh was right before throw in - Cavan always struggle in the games we are expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

That was close, good shout for a penalty there.
    The lack of urgency from Cavan is shocking.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    That was close, good shout for a penalty there.
    The lack of urgency from Cavan is shocking.

Never a penalty in a million years.

Advertisement