Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Great win well done. Pure character showed. If Cavan reach the Ulster final am I right in saying they will avoid next summers tier 2 competition?

I think you’re correct about that, it won’t be easy though, plenty to work on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭rrs

Fair play to Cavan. Kept the composure and deserved the win. Galligan excellent when introduced. Some of the younger players showed very good potential, Stephen Smith, Luke Fortune..
    Doughy struggled a bit when he came on. Pierson took them goal really well, he's a really poacher. Took a bad knock.
    Clarke was more in the game today. He's not a County midfielder. Wonder score by Gerry Smith to level it and Ray Galligan to win it.

Monaghan had bizarre tactics in second half just trying to to kill the game from start of second half. All that done was invite Cavan on with the direct play of Galligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Congratulations Cavan from a Dub ye were unreal in the final moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭celt262

I must say I'm delighted to get it wrong about this game.

To look ahead, they need to prevent team's running down the middle like what Monaghan were doing in first half. They were cut open a few times. Antrim might or might not exploit that, but other ther teams will.

It's a great lift today after the low of last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Watching a replay. Faulkner’s dispossession of Colin Walshe as he was about to pull the trigger with a minute of normal ET to go was a fantastic piece of defending.

Was the last play where Galligan caught the ball a free or a mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

celt262 wrote: »
    Was the last play where Galligan caught the ball a free or a mark?

A free. Another player couldn’t have taken a mark.

Not sure why the ref called it back though because, if I remember correctly, Galligan was racing on through.

The ref also made a poor call slightly earlier when he called a good ball into Galligan back saying the advantage had been lost when it wasn’t.

Did Madden get a knock against Roscommon? Thought Cavsv lacked a presence inside.
    Conor Brady had a good game against Monaghan last year, another players kissing with injury

rrs wrote: »
    Did Madden get a knock against Roscommon? Thought Cavsv lacked a presence inside.
    Conor Brady had a good game against Monaghan last year, another players kissing with injury

Stephen Murray & Conor Smith also missing.

Of the forwards that came on today, Thomas Edward Donohoe looked the part, good turn of pace and looked confident - great little flick up at one stage.

Pierson took a heavy bang to the ankle and was visibly struggling - I’d be surprised if he’s fit for next week.

• Advertisement

I dont think Murray is fit enough for more than 20 minutes was took off very early last week and at end of normal time today.

What's the story with Stephen anyway ?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Stephen Murray & Conor Smith also missing.

Of the forwards that came on today, Thomas Edward Donohoe looked the part, good turn of pace and looked confident - great little flick up at one stage.

Pierson took a heavy bang to the ankle and was visibly struggling - I’d be surprised if he’s fit for next week.

Agree TED done well. A nice flick up with his weaker right foot. Conor Smith gets a lot of niggles which would be be a worry for him trying to break into the team. A good player when fit.

celt262 wrote: »
    I dont think Murray is fit enough for more than 20 minutes was took off very early last week and at end of normal time today.

What's the story with Stephen anyway ?

The We Are Cavan podcast just said Stephen and Conor Smith were strong doubts for this weekend. A Killygarry man told me Conor Smith did his hamstring in training on the Tuesday after the Kildare game.

It’s going to be very difficult not to lose lads throug injury week on week as the games come thick and fast.

I don’t expect Pierson to be fit for next week. Niall Murray won’t be fit for more than 20 minutes as you state. I’m actually wondering if starting him last week was to try and put some doubt in Monaghan minds.

Today’s bench had a light look about it - am I right in thinking Luke Fortune, Stephen Smith, Cormac O’Reilly, Cormac Timoney, TED, Oisin Brady & Evan Doughty all made their championship debuts?

I wonder where is Ryan Connolly from Drumlane. He came on against Westmeath and Clare in the League.

Yes and Cavan playing in the Preliminary round, means its could be 6 games in 6 weeks, if they were to reach the Ulster final. The panel will be well stretched.

Connolly seemed to have fallen out of favour. There is a panel of 38 altogether, so he's probaly still involved. A good free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus lads. I must say what a day to be alive. Beating that shower of whingers is fantastic especially when the texts where coming at halftime. Plenty of them haven't replied after full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Yes and Cavan playing in the Preliminary round, means its could be 6 games in 6 weeks, if they were to reach the Ulster final. The panel will be well stretched.

Connolly seemed to have fallen out of favour. There is a panel of 38 altogether, so he's probaly still involved. A good free taker.

4 games to reach Ulster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

piplip87 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads. I must say what a day to be alive. Beating that shower of whingers is fantastic especially when the texts where coming at halftime. Plenty of them haven't replied after full time.

Maybe they're too embarrassed to reply.

I know there is 4. The 2 league games included. Playing week on week, unless there is a gap from Ulster semi to final.

I’m getting worried about all this talk mentioning the Ulster Final. I got more texts off people from other counties yesterday congratulating Cavan on making another Ulster Final. I replied to all of them with the same three words.

Never Forget ‘09.

It's just what is ahead of Cavan if they did manage to get there. I still think they have a lot to do.
    Antrim have a few lads from 09 still involved, Paddy Cunnigham, Tomas and Michael McCann.
    Down or Fermangh will give Cavan plenty of it too.

• Advertisement

A lot is going to depend on injuries. No doubt lads will have picked up knocks yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Is the Antrim game going to be on the box?

BBC 2

What ground is it in?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What ground is it in?

Breffni

The GAA Hour lads mentioned Tommy Galligan only came on because James Smith was injured. Any truth in that?

I did see mention in a Kieran Donaghy article that Smith had done well to play as he fell off a ladder last week.

What was the point starting Smith if that was the case? He kicked a good score, but if was struggling to be fit it was a risk.

His cousin Stephen Smith kicked 2 very good points. He can be a very good player in a few years, if he gets more stronger. He has good vision, good off either foot, and decent pace. Probaly more of a half forward.

Cavan have potentially a few good inside forwards. Pierson, Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith,
    Caoimhin McGovern for next year too. He has good size, just needs to develop more physically.

What was the point starting Smith if that was the case? He kicked a good score, but if was struggling to be fit it was a risk.

His cousin Stephen Smith kicked 2 very good points. He can be a very good player in a few years, if he gets more stronger. He has good vision, good off either foot, and decent pace. Probaly more of a half forward.

Cavan have potentially a few good inside forwards. Pierson, Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith,
    Caoimhin McGovern for next year too. He has good size, just needs to develop more physically.

I think we won't be to bad for forward if these lads all stick at it they are strong enough lads and still young so will develop more.

Yea decent options in forwards and midfield.
    The defence is probaly more the issue. A solid centre back. Monaghan ran down the middle a lot against Cavan In first half half. Roscommon did the same too

• Advertisement

Yea decent options in forwards and midfield.
    The defence is probaly more the issue. A solid centre back. Monaghan ran down the middle a lot against Cavan In first half half. Roscommon did the same too

Yes teams running down the middle has been a problem for a long time. We always seem to have a number 6 who likes to go forward and kick points or wides. The runners need to be slowed further out the field though as when a team gets a run on you and there are one or two others in support its not easy to stop them.

Advertisement