Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Similarly, after the game McConville was saying “Ciaran Brady not known for his scoring”. He was our top scorer in the league from centre half back two years ago & not far away again last year until he picked up a bad knock against Kerry. Such bluffers.

McConville is generally quite a good pundit to be fair. In regard to Brady picking up a “knock” against Kerry. He and McVeety were our two best players in the first half and both had to leave the pitch fairly lively in the second after being “caught” late.

I was happy to see a bit of game management from us today though. During the ten minutes when Brady was off, we did well to run down the clock with different players lieing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭rrs

McConville is a good pundit. If you nit picked what every pundit said, there wouldn't be many left. O Rourke, Canavan, McStay, Tomas O Se, McGuinness

Ciaran Brady kicks a bad wide,

McHugh " Cavan need to work the ball to the shooters"

Ciaran Brady kicks a point 5 minutes later

McHugh "that's better by Cavan working the ball to their best shooters"

McHugh was always very hard on Cavan under Terry Hyland because McHugh would still mix with a group who have influence with the county board, including one of our former ex managers.

Not surprising that he and that ex manager were both handed work with Cavstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

rrs wrote: »
    McConville is a good pundit. If you nit picked what every pundit said, there wouldn't be many left. O Rourke, Canavan, McStay, Tomas O Se, McGuinness

Ah here. The Holla isn’t a new lad on the panel. He’s been charging forward and kicking scores since 2016.

I like McConville. The reason I mentioned it is that he’s usually clued in.

O Rourke, Spillane and O Se (or Whelan) don’t watch Cavan unless they are paid. McConville usually knows his stuff, but saying Ciaran Brady doesn’t kick scores is lazy journalism

Cavan_King wrote: »
    McConville is generally quite a good pundit to be fair. In regard to Brady picking up a “knock” against Kerry. He and McVeety were our two best players in the first half and both had to leave the pitch fairly lively in the second after being “caught” late.

I was at the game- both were taken out. Brady didn’t regain fitness last year because of that.

• Advertisement

I meant those other pundits have made errors, not talking about Cavan but generally. Des Cahill comes out of with some waffle at times too

McConville probaly saw him as a half back, so he doesn't score much. Which was wrong, unless he meant in Championship football, but scored a few in championship before today.

I meant those other pundits have made errors, not talking about Cavan but generally. Des Cahill comes out of with some waffle at times too

McConville probaly saw him as a half back, so he doesn't score much. Which was wrong, unless he meant in Championship football, but scored a few in championship before today.

Sure look it, this isn’t the spot for a row. We’re all from Cavan and we’re all happy.

Being back Mattie McGleenan. That would cause a few riots ��

I was at the game- both were taken out. Brady didn’t regain fitness last year because of that.

Exactly. The Kerry people were raving about Brady at half time - best player on the field they were all saying to me - there were quite a few there were ex Kerry natives that had driven down from Dublin.

It showed how cynical the top teams are and its something we need to learn. We've never been cute enough over the years.

On another note, that game also showed we need a free taker who hits 80% of his shots over. At vital times in the game last year, Galligan missed two pressure kicks. If he had got those, it would have kept a bit of distance between us and Kerry.

Gearoid taking a free at a vital time yesterday really angered me. Conroy had just come on so let him take it - alright he can also be dodgy but Gearoid always seems to miss pressure frees. Last year there shouldn't have been a need for a replay against Armagh had he not missed a free he should have scored with his eyes closed from about 25 yards when the teams were level in ET.

Killian Brady hasn't improved on his discipline since he was U21. He was booked in every game back then, but thought it was more because he was wholehearted type player .
    What he done yesterday could have been costly against a better team. The other 2 black cards weren't good either, but his the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Yevon wrote: »
    I can't see how it was a black card. The black card is a cynical behaviour foul, dragging down a player for cynical reasons, blocking a player's run with a body check, verbal abuse. It was not designed for a tussle between players during a break in play with one ending up on the ground.

It was petulant and stupid from Brady but it wasn't a black card offence.

Exactly never a black. And neither was Oisins. Sure he couldn't get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A referee from Co. Down should never have been chosen to referee this game as the winners could be playing Down in the semi-final.

I can't see how it was a black card. The black card is a cynical behaviour foul, dragging down a player for cynical reasons, blocking a player's run with a body check, verbal abuse. It was not designed for a tussle between players during a break in play with one ending up on the ground.

It was petulant and stupid from Brady but it wasn't a black card offence.

I agree. The black card is for dragging a player down like Gerry Smith did. Not for pushing or pulling someone off the ball in a show of petulance. That wasn’t cynical play, it was just stupidity. A yellow but not a black.

Of the three cards, I thought only Smith’s was a definite black as he did pull the man down.

Again though, we got through the game and it’ll bring the focus back on discipline ahead of Down.

Antrim were very mouthy yesterday, you could hear one of the older backs say to Cormac O’Reilly at one stage - “you do that again and I’ll f**king put you out there” and he pointed to the stand.

The full forward line has a lot of improving to do. Your full forward line shouldn’t be outscored by your half back line. TED coming on also outsourced the three starting forwards put together!

The full forward line is a huge problem. Oisin Pierson isn't adding enough to keep his place, most of the time he gets on the ball he's well outside the scoring zone. Cormac Reilly throws himself about a bit but again, he's not getting the scores which should be the primary job of your inside line.

Ted was decent in his two appearances. But he's not going to lead the line and get 3/4 points from play every game and probably doesn't have the size or speed necessary at this level. It's hard to see anyone left in the county with the tools to do that and the one lad that can is on the other side of the world at the moment.

Was it Pierson or O’Reilly or both dropped a couple into the keeper’s hands? They really need to be putting those over. We had 9 missed chances in the first half - 6 wides and 3 into the keeper’s hands. As bad as we were, we still should have had Antrim out of sight.

At least those two got on the ball though. I’m not his biggest fan I’ll admit but I don’t think Stephen Smith touched the ball twice in the first half.

You are right what you say about them dropping out too far though. They’re getting the ball outside the scoring zone, which was also odd given we were sending high balls in at times. Surely one of them should be in there to try and feed off anything that breaks.

Down beat Fermanagh by 7 points. Terrible game but impressive display.

The full forward line is a huge problem. Oisin Pierson isn't adding enough to keep his place, most of the time he gets on the ball he's well outside the scoring zone. Cormac Reilly throws himself about a bit but again, he's not getting the scores which should be the primary job of your inside line.

Ted was decent in his two appearances. But he's not going to lead the line and get 3/4 points from play every game and probably doesn't have the size or speed necessary at this level. It's hard to see anyone left in the county with the tools to do that and the one lad that can is on the other side of the world at the moment.

Defence is a problem down the middle too. Teams are creating goals chances being evident throughout league and into Championship.
    Cavan not creating many goal chances themselves and no ball winner inside.

Down have lots of pace, Not the biggest team so will probaly avoid aerial battles with McKiernan.

The Down game in Armagh
    Donegal and Armagh in Breffni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Back to underdogs again next weekend should suit us better!!

Down were impressive in the 2nd half but no real reason to fear them

Looking at the games over the weekend seeing paddy cunningham and Paul kerrigan and nial mcnamee making impacts on games it leaves me wishing Cian Mackey was still in the squad for football ability and cuteness which is worth more a few scores and I reckon the lift he'd give us coming off the bench would be great..... But alas he's not... So off we go...

We are good enough to make the Ulster final but we'll have to be more direct as if we are turned over going sideways Down looked very quick on the break

Need a big one from Gmc and hopefully James Smith will be back too, Galligan made a big impact off the bench the last couple of weeks so I'd nearly be afraid to change it

Down will be fresh. Cavan have been battling for the last 4 weeks, including the extra time. Down had a walkover and played a second string in Louth. The Fermanagh game will have brought them on.

Galway going into the Connacht final without a game. They could possibly win Sam with 3 games. It would take Cavan 3 games to reach Ulster final.

Down will be fresh. Cavan have been battling for the last 4 weeks, including the extra time. Down had a walkover and played a second string in Louth. The Fermanagh game will have brought them on.

Galway going into the Connacht final without a game. They could possibly win Sam with 3 games. It would take Cavan 3 games to reach Ulster final.

Tiredness was definitely a factor at the weekend. I think staying in the game until we spring the likes of Galligan from the bench is key. Mickey seems to think you need a stronger team finishing the game than starting it and I’ld agree with that.

The provincial system is long outdated. Last year Cacan had to play Monaghan, Armagh & Tyrone if they were to make the Super 8s. Meath on the other hand played Offaly, Carlow, Laois & Clare. How exactly is that fair?

Yeah, definitely need to be overhauled. I don't there would be that much of an issue. Galway and Antrim are allowed play in Leinster Hurling Championship.

In the football every County plays bar kk, just have 8 in each province. Longford, Westmeath and possibly Cavan or Donegal added to Connacht.

I doubt New York or London will be playing in it anytime soon with covid.

• Advertisement

Yeah, definitely need to be overhauled. I don't there would be that much of an issue. Galway and Antrim are allowed play in Leinster Hurling Championship.

In the football every County plays bar kk, just have 8 in each province. Longford, Westmeath and possibly Cavan or Donegal added to Connacht.

I doubt New York or London will be playing in it anytime soon with covid.

I think the provincial split has to be abandoned altogether and move into a league style format with 4 groups of 8. If you want to keep the provincial championships for historic reasons, have them replace the McKenna Cup and other similar competitions in each province.

For example, if you moved Cavan into Leinster over the last decade, it wouldn't have changed that the rest of the province were very weak.

Anyway, that's a different discussion. Back to the weekend's action.

Just listening to RTE radio and hearing a Galway selector state that Damien Comer has a hamstring injury and is looking at 4-6 weeks. James Smith apparently has a hamstring injury too so can't see him being ready for the weekend.

Interesting also in the We Are Cavan podcast that Paul Fitz commented we showed Antrim too much respect. I'm wondering was the Down/Fermanagh game the long term goal, even in that game. Down or Fermanagh are going to play very similar to Antrim - pack out the defence and break at speed.

We were very risk averse at the weekend and held onto as the ball as if our life depended on it, which we also did against Monaghan. We're finishing games well and its no secret a lot of training has been put in so I wonder is the plan very much to play keep ball and stay in the game, tire the opposition out, then get on a runner like Thomas Galligan and go at the opposition second half after tiring them.

I wouldn't expect to see very many changes at the weekend. Graham didn't even use the full compliment of subs at the weekend, using only Galligan, Conroy, TED and Niall Murray. Only one change even to the squad and that was enforced with Buchanan coming in for Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

I think the provincial split has to be abandoned altogether and move into a league style format with 4 groups of 8. If you want to keep the provincial championships for historic reasons, have them replace the McKenna Cup and other similar competitions in each province.

For example, if you moved Cavan into Leinster over the last decade, it wouldn't have changed that the rest of the province were very weak.

Anyway, that's a different discussion. Back to the weekend's action.

Just listening to RTE radio and hearing a Galway selector state that Damien Comer has a hamstring injury and is looking at 4-6 weeks. James Smith apparently has a hamstring injury too so can't see him being ready for the weekend.

Interesting also in the We Are Cavan podcast that Paul Fitz commented we showed Antrim too much respect. I'm wondering was the Down/Fermanagh game the long term goal, even in that game. Down or Fermanagh are going to play very similar to Antrim - pack out the defence and break at speed.

We were very risk averse at the weekend and held onto as the ball as if our life depended on it, which we also did against Monaghan. We're finishing games well and its no secret a lot of training has been put in so I wonder is the plan very much to play keep ball and stay in the game, tire the opposition out, then get on a runner like Thomas Galligan and go at the opposition second half after tiring them.

I wouldn't expect to see very many changes at the weekend. Graham didn't even use the full compliment of subs at the weekend, using only Galligan, Conroy, TED and Niall Murray. Only one change even to the squad and that was enforced with Buchanan coming in for Smith.

I don't think the plan is to tire out any team,both teams tire in second half and freshen up with subs. Down seemed to finish quite strong against Fermanagh and have had a few weeks off before last weekend so you would imagine they will be the fresher side.

celt262 wrote: »
    I don't think the plan is to tire out any team,both teams tire in second half and freshen up with subs. Down seemed to finish quite strong against Fermanagh and have had a few weeks off before last weekend so you would imagine they will be the fresher side.

Yes both teams tire but we still seem fresher and are pushing on late in games. What do you think is the tactic or lack thereof? There has to be a reason that players who I've seen break lines for their clubs aren't doing it in a county jersey.

Yes both teams tire but we still seem fresher and are pushing on late in games. What do you think is the tactic or lack thereof? There has to be a reason that players who I've seen break lines for their clubs aren't doing it in a county jersey.

It's hard to see what the tactic is its obvious that Antrim did tire the last day which was expected and this then allowed Cavan to close out the game. I hope it wasn't a tactic as if they had of scored that goal chance it would have given them more confidence and we would have been in bother.

When the opposition drops back we have a lot of bother in breaking them down and don't seem to be good/cute enough to get through and into shooting positions. We we lucky in that regard against Monaghan that the the long range efforts went over and that they decided at half time that they had enough done to win the game.

I think we need to push up and make the opposition go long with there kickouts as our midfield is more than holding their own against anyone we played in the championshp this year. By letting them build from the back once they get to our 45 strong runners will get through as has been seen in every game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Forget about the strong finish.
    A strong beginning is just as important if not more important.

celt262 wrote: »
    It's hard to see what the tactic is its obvious that Antrim did tire the last day which was expected and this then allowed Cavan to close out the game. I hope it wasn't a tactic as if they had of scored that goal chance it would have given them more confidence and we would have been in bother.

When the opposition drops back we have a lot of bother in breaking them down and don't seem to be good/cute enough to get through and into shooting positions. We we lucky in that regard against Monaghan that the the long range efforts went over and that they decided at half time that they had enough done to win the game.

I think we need to push up and make the opposition go long with there kickouts as our midfield is more than holding their own against anyone we played in the championshp this year. By letting them build from the back once they get to our 45 strong runners will get through as has been seen in every game so far.

We're getting decent turnovers though and the team under Graham have always seemed happy enough to give up kick outs in the expectation that they will win the ball further down the pitch.

The team have actually come out and said they were quite happy with the Monaghan game and being seven behind at half time. Whilst that could be seen as bull now, it did sort of show in that they didn't even push forward before half time when they had the ball to try and get a point. A number of players and management have said that the win was easily a six to seven point wind.
    Forget about the strong finish.
    A strong beginning is just as important if not more important.

Yes, but we have a number of strong performers not fit for 70 minutes so we appear to be placing the emphasis on the latter half of games.

We're getting decent turnovers though and the team under Graham have always seemed happy enough to give up kick outs in the expectation that they will win the ball further down the pitch.

The team have actually come out and said they were quite happy with the Monaghan game and being seven behind at half time. Whilst that could be seen as bull now, it did sort of show in that they didn't even push forward before half time when they had the ball to try and get a point. A number of players and management have said that the win was easily a six to seven point wind.

6 or 7 point wind but if Monaghan had of took there few goal chances it wouldn't have been enough, not even taking consideration into the way they approached the second half. Anyway moving onto this weekend i'd love to see a good game of football all the games last weekend were hard watched.

Antrim key players tired out of the game in second half . Michael McCann, Paddy Cunnigham, Kevin O Boyle. It wasn't surprising given their age.45 to 50 was the most in them. They hadn't played Ulster Championship in 4 or 5 years
    Don't think Down will tire as quick and would have stronger options on the bench. They brought on subs like Ryan Johnson of Kilcoo who has pace to burn.

Is the game on the box on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Is the game on the box on Sunday?

BBC

Advertisement