Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gaafan21

Cavan_King wrote: »
    That Hogan Stand message board really should be shut down. Some of the utter crap they allow up on it is scandalous.

Have to agree. Should be filtered. Beween the groundsman and an ex player posting about themselves lol I'll never get the whole people from other counties saying we on a Cavan forum and the profile from a different county eg a poster from longford.

On a separate note I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow. I just hope they were dogged in the trainings before the Roscommon game and that explains the dead on the feet look. I expect cavan to set up defensively and maybe hope to keep tight for the first half.

If we do set up well at the back and play Martin Reilly as a sweeper or give him a free role he has the vision to pick passes out our full backline cannot as they hesitate/aren't confident to kick. Adding GMK to the full forward line along with Connor Smith and Cormac O'Reilly is a call I'd make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

tanko wrote: »
    It made me laugh anyway, seven or eight of his team aren't even on the panel.

Cavan seem to have a huge problem in that lots of the better players in the county won't commit to the county team for whatever reasons and when some lads do commit they only stay for a year or two.
    Other counties don't seem to have this problem to the same extent, they have more settled squads and can build up fitness levels and playing systems over a few years.

I think this is a bit of a Cavan myth to be honest. Plenty of counties have players who don’t commit to inter county. How many times has Quigley walked away from Fermanagh?

Kells got to the senior final in Meath this year and have no players on the county team with several of their lads apparently turning down the option.

It does seem that the longer you stay off the panel in Cavan the better you are. For example, Barry Reilly, Shane Tierney & Fergal Reilly mentioned over on Hogan Stand constantly. The fact is all three have been in with the county and couldn’t hold down a starting position. They drifted away for different reasons but all got their chance.

Caomhin Reilly again mentioned on We Are Cavan podcast. What can Mickey Graham do about a player who opted out? He couldn’t hold down a starting position under successive managers, although Mick Hannon did mention at the turn of the year he had a leg problem which had been causing him pain.

The fact is, though, Cavan has that small a population there are very few players are not tried and tested at some level with the county if they look half decent.

We need to concentrate on the lads putting in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Shelbyville / Hogan stand is gas, but calling for a lad from the 2013 Ballinagh team to start is probably a new low.

It’s some place for the drama, with lads trying to outdo each other about how much of a shambles things are. Like some lad (probably in his teens!!) saying the Rossies defeat was the worst he has seen in 50 years and that he wouldn’t be back again (some loss, assuming said keyboard warrior even set foot in Breffni in his life). It wasn’t even the worst performance against Roscommon in the last 10 years (and that defeat in a monsoon in Breffni in 2014 was one of the worst I’ve seen- I still maintain that first half from both teams was a low) let alone THAT defeat to Waterford being worse (and a strong contender being a defeat to Tipperary in Breffni in 2009 that was as gutless as could be).

Anyways, back to today. I am a huge fan of We Are Cavan, it’s good fun but I think Paul Fitzpatrick trying to see the positives was great and the idea that Monaghan haven’t improved and it’s the same team as last year and ergo we won’t be too far away.

We’re down three players (at least) from that game, and two of them were our best players in the Championship. Moynagh was our best player over league and championship by far. Mc Veety only scored one point last year against Monaghan but he gave us an outlet that would win his own ball and a chance to kick long. We don’t have that now (unless Cormac Reilly stays in). Madden scored a point and won a penalty in the inside last year yet he spends more time on the 40 these days. Gearoid is wasted on the square and needs to run at Monaghan and draw frees or kick from distance.

Gaafan21 wrote: »
    Have to agree. Should be filtered. Beween the groundsman and an ex player posting about themselves lol I'll never get the whole people from other counties saying we on a Cavan forum and the profile from a different county eg a poster from longford.

On a separate note I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow. I just hope they were dogged in the trainings before the Roscommon game and that explains the dead on the feet look. I expect cavan to set up defensively and maybe hope to keep tight for the first half.

If we do set up well at the back and play Martin Reilly as a sweeper or give him a free role he has the vision to pick passes out our full backline cannot as they hesitate/aren't confident to kick. Adding GMK to the full forward line along with Connor Smith and Cormac O'Reilly is a call I'd make.

Conor Smith & Stephen Murray are strong doubts according to We Are Cavan. It’s a real pity about Smith because, even at his young age, it appears he’s going to be a player who spends more time in the physio room than on the pitch.
    Shelbyville / Hogan stand is gas, but calling for a lad from the 2013 Ballinagh team to start is probably a new low.

It’s some place for the drama, with lads trying to outdo each other about how much of a shambles things are. Like some lad (probably in his teens!!) saying the Rossies defeat was the worst he has seen in 50 years and that he wouldn’t be back again (some loss, assuming said keyboard warrior even set foot in Breffni in his life). It wasn’t even the worst performance against Roscommon in the last 10 years (and that defeat in a monsoon in Breffni in 2014 was one of the worst I’ve seen- I still maintain that first half from both teams was a low) let alone THAT defeat to Waterford being worse (and a strong contender being a defeat to Tipperary in Breffni in 2009 that was as gutless as could be).

Anyways, back to today. I am a huge fan of We Are Cavan, it’s good fun but I think Paul Fitzpatrick trying to see the positives was great and the idea that Monaghan haven’t improved and it’s the same team as last year and ergo we won’t be too far away.

We’re down three players (at least) from that game, and two of them were our best players in the Championship. Moynagh was our best player over league and championship by far. Mc Veety only scored one point last year against Monaghan but he gave us an outlet that would win his own ball and a chance to kick long. We don’t have that now (unless Cormac Reilly stays in). Madden scored a point and won a penalty in the inside last year yet he spends more time on the 40 these days. Gearoid is wasted on the square and needs to run at Monaghan and draw frees or kick from distance.

I’m surprised the grounds man has been allowed to continue post with all the negativity he openly spouts. Never a good word to say.

My only personal favourite for our worst performance was Offaly in 2012. Offaly were the worst inter county team I had seen in a few years and we lost to them. That year, we bottomed out and only other results stopped us going down to Division 4.

Madden apparently played his best stuff out around the 40 for Gowna this year but I’d agree that he was our biggest threat inside last year. I actually think he’s better as an impact sub.

The backs I think pretty much pick themselves today but it’ll be the forwards where there’ll be surprises.

Gearoid’s best position for me is the 40. Hrs not mobile enough to be a modern midfielder but being on the 40 allows him to drop out and help with kick outs and play with his face to goal.

I do think the odd foray into full forward for a few minutes is warranted though as it keeps team’s guessing. Even his reputation alone as our main player puts some fear into teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Conor Smith & Stephen Murray are strong doubts according to We Are Cavan. It’s a real pity about Smith because, even at his young age, it appears he’s going to be a player who spends more time in the physio room than on the pitch.

I’m hoping that was Mickey playing his cards close to his chest. Stephen Murray in the league was devastating when he came on as a second half sub. Along with Galligan he turned the game against Westmeath and skinned Laois against the wind. If he is fit for 20 minutes and the game is in the mix, I would stick him on.

Agree with Smith. He has bags of potential but needs to stay fit.

• Advertisement

I’m hoping that was Mickey playing his cards close to his chest. Stephen Murray in the league was devastating when he came on as a second half sub. Along with Galligan he turned the game against Westmeath and skinned Laois against the wind. If he is fit for 20 minutes and the game is in the mix, I would stick him on.

Agree with Smith. He has bags of potential but needs to stay fit.

I wonder what happens the podcast now with Damien Donohoe getting the U20 job. Be very hard for him, even though he plays the good cop role of the two, to try and say he’s impartial when he’s working for the county board. I did already notice this year on the podcasts there was a real attempt by them to avoid discussing refs compared to other years so that must have been why.

On a point of players, kudos has to be given to the likes of the Gaels, Killygarry, Kingscourt, Gowna and Lavey. They all have 2 or more players on the county panel and seem to be actively encouraging players to opt into the panel.

It’s a pity the same can’t be said of clubs like Ramor & Castlerahan. It’s very ironic that Castlerahan’s only representative isn’t even a homegrown player!!

Bench looking very light from named 26 I have seen. No Conor Smith, Conor Madden or Stephen Murray in the matchday squad.

Stephen Smith in for Conroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did the referee come on the Monaghan bus?

Cavan defenders are poor and ver6 slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I see McManus hasn't lost his ability to go to ground

• Advertisement

Walking through the Cavan defence. Not a hand laid on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

You could land drive a 747 through our back line...Ive never seen a worse Cavan team at defending...

Did the referee come on the Monaghan bus?

Cavan defenders are poor and ver6 slow.

Referee is letting an awful lot go alright and umpires aren’t much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I thought was just me but yeah a good amount let go. Galligan saved us a few times. If Cavan had kept out the goal could have been a bit of contest second half.

Tough conditions with wind which should help Cavan second half

The Young lads, Cormac O Reilly, Oisin Pierson and especially Stephen Smith have done well, We have won more clean ball at midfield than Monaghan and have had more possession,Gearoid has done well,I'm hoping our forwards can score heavily with the wind in the second half. Something needs to be done about the backline though.

Monaghan will just keep possession and wait for an opening now. Looks like it’s game over unless Cavan can get an early goal. The Cavan defence is so bad that Monaghan could actually score a few more goals themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

I see Neymar McManus hasn't lost his ability to go to ground

He’s been at that diving crack for years but it’s never highlighted by analysts or journalists for some reason.

Yevon wrote: »
    Not enough emphasis on giving cover to the defence. We don't look to have a proper plan to break down Monaghan up front but in fairness the lads are making lots of runs and putting in a great shift. Oisin Pierson playing far too deep for our best shooter. Cormac O'Reilly has been a bit wasteful. Stephen Smith and Gearoid doing very well.

Hopefully we don't start trying crazy shots from poor angles now that we have the wind.

Taking long range shots but from fairly central. Two good scores. Last one from galligan was decent

Two very good scores by Thomas Galligan and Oisin Kieran, but how did Ryan Wylie just walk through about 5/6 tackles there...

Serious point from Luke Fortune...

• Advertisement

Cavan losing the ball far too easily.
    They have to find their man and cut out the Hail Mary stuff.
    Monaghan looking far too comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭benjy1000

Cavan are the perfect example of what a bad team does with the wind behind them.

There's 3/4 key players whom are completely off the pace.. All good footballers whom have proven themselves in the past, but whether it's fitness/ injuries or a lack of form, it's just not there today.

Awful poor wides and rushed shots.
    The goal need to come soon as they’ve only reduced the halftime score difference by 2 points.

4 point game now!!!

Brilliant fielding by Thomas Galligan, fantastic points from Luke Fortune and Gearoid..glimmer of hope.

Two clowns behind the posts. One giving the point the other saying a wide. Phew it was given

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

A couple of those Cavan wides were criminal, could be crucial.

Momentum fairly with Cavan now.

• Advertisement

What a point!! What a comeback!!

Advertisement