Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

BBC

I might mute the commentary this week and play the Northern Sound app for commentary off my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I might mute the commentary this week and play the Northern Sound app for commentary off my mobile.

Good idea will try that myself i wasn't impressed with the quality of the commentary last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

The Northern sound commentary on the radio was about ten seconds ahead of the BBC TV coverage last weekend. You knew what was going to happen on the TV before it happened, it was strange, like watching a replay.
    The BBC commentator is insufferable tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭rrs

Noticed that before when some games are on TG4 and on Rte Radio 1, a few second difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Assuming you have the ability to pause your TV then you can stream the radio on your computer instead and with a small bit of play/pause timing you can get them to sync

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    The Northern sound commentary on the radio was about ten seconds ahead of the BBC TV coverage last weekend. You knew what was going to happen on the TV before it happened, it was strange, like watching a replay.
    The BBC commentator is insufferable tho.

It you play the commentary through the Northern Sound app on your mobile rather than the radio you can time it.

I have Sky Plus so can pause my TV and synced the two perfectly for the Cavan Roscommon game that was on TG4 so I’d have English commentary.

I don't see it. Armagh have very good attacking players and Oisin O Neill, Burns around midfield are good. They have a very poor defence though, and reckless in their tackling.
    I think Donegal can go all the way this year. They have no problem adapting to the winter conditions.

rrs wrote: »
    I don't see it. Armagh have very good attacking players and Oisin O Neill, Burns around midfield are good. They have a very poor defence though, and reckless in their tackling.
    I think Donegal can go all the way this year. They have no problem adapting to the winter conditions.

I’d agree. Tyrone are a team who can sometimes be caught out as has been seen in Ulster over the years but this Donegal team are ruthless.

It does bring up a conundrum though that someone asked me - would you prefer a gallant display and loss against Down in the semi which leaves hope for the future or another final appearance where you are blitzed by Donegal and the players are shown again just how off the pace of the top 5/6 teams they are?

That's true, a hammering by Donegal could have a impact for 2021. Players opting out, and stuck in Division 3 for a while.
    I think Cork beating Kerry last week showed teams can't be complacent, and Donegal will be focused. McBrearty back to give them more options in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Enough of the negative mindset. You might as well say why don't we aim for Division 4 in 2022 - the teams are weaker there and we should avoid any major losses.

We need to give it everything against Down and get back to the Ulster Final. The experience of the 2019 semfinals against Armagh should count for something.

Best of luck to the team on Sunday.

• Advertisement

I don't it's more realistic then negative. Hopefully they can back to Ulster final will be tough with 5th consecutive week playing.
    They need to up it a lot from the Antrim game and maybe they will.

treade1 wrote: »
    Enough of the negative mindset. You might as well say why don't we aim for Division 4 in 2022 - the teams are weaker there and we should avoid any major losses.

We need to give it everything against Down and get back to the Ulster Final. The experience of the 2019 semfinals against Armagh should count for something.

Best of luck to the team on Sunday.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope to god we win but the fact t is there’s a top echelon of teams at a level above what’s below. Mayo showed than last weekend when they made short work of Roscommon who are, without doubt, the leaders of the chasing pack.

Just see the We Are Cavan podcast preview arriving into the inbox there now. Will have a listen in the morning.

Would love to see Stephen Murray & Conor Smith fit to play a part. Hearing very little mention of Conor Madden or Conor Brady so presuming there’s no hope for those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The main benefit of beating Down is avoiding a tier 2 competition next season

We are every bit as good as Down and should be bearing them in normal times... Heavy legs might just tell tomorrow though

I'd like to see us up against Donegal again to see if we have improved from last season

Anything can happen in football this time of year just ask Monaghan and Kerry

Up and at them Sunday
    Cavan4sam

Yevon wrote: »
    I don't see Armagh beating Donegal either but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

As for whether getting beaten by Down is better than getting beaten by Donegal, I see no argument for preferring to go out in a Semi that a final. We are not a young fresh faced team that will improve a lot in the next year, we have had the hammerings from Donegal and Tyrone on several occasions. 2 Ulster finals on the trot and cementing our spot as the third best team in Ulster with a gap to the top 2 is a relatively healthy position going into 2021.

I don’t think even reaching an Ulster final again would make us the third best team in Ulster. Armagh have handed us two hammerings this year in the McKenna Cup & League and are on their way to Division 1.

Unfortunately, we have regressed a little this year because of McVeety & Moynagh travelling. I always knew McVeety would be a big loss but have only realised how much Moynagh is missed when you see how open we are at the back. These things are out of our control though and I don’t see the pair of lads being back anytime soon.

Let’s not forget too that you’re also missing Conor Brady & Conor Madden who started the majority of games last year. Niall Murray has done well to feature at all this year & Stephen Murray was a big player coming off the bench. Niall for example added a real touch of class when he subbed on in that McKenna Cup game in December.

I see real hope though for the future and in fairness a strong panel is being built, with a good mix of experience and new players. Two of our starting forwards, Pierson & O’Reilly, were U20 last year.

Armagh outclassed. I wasn't surprised, they struggled against Derry. I watched them against Roscommon in the League and Roscommon strolled through their defence. They done enough to beat Clare and clinch promotion.

A serious gap from the Donegal, Tyrone and the rest. And regardless of what happens tomorrow, Cavan can't have another big turnover going into next year. That will just spread the gap more and more, players need a solid few years of S/C

Armagh outclassed. I wasn't surprised, they struggled against Derry. I watched them against Roscommon in the League and Roscommon strolled through their defence. They done enough to beat Clare and clinch promotion.

A serious gap from the Donegal, Tyrone and the rest. And regardless of what happens tomorrow, Cavan can't have another big turnover going into next year. That will just spread the gap more and more, players need a solid few years of S/C

You have the top six teams in the country - Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway - and the past two weekends have shown the chasing pack are some way off.

I’d see Roscommon as the leading team to try and challenge that top six and Mayo made light work of them. Donegal didn’t give a sniff to another of the pretenders Armagh today.

I’m not that sure we have had that big a turnover from last year - Mackey retired (which was always coming), Rehill left of his own accord due to the training schedule and then the two lads went travelling, which they state they had planned and already delayed. That’s three starters and an impact sub out of a panel of about 40.

There always going to be some changes year on year. The Dubs, for example, win all round them but still have to cope with retirements, players opting out & injuries.

You also have to factor in that even players themselves admitted their attitude had to go up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Thunderbirds

cavan4sam wrote: »
    The main benefit of beating Down is avoiding a tier 2 competition next season

We are every bit as good as Down and should be bearing them in normal times... Heavy legs might just tell tomorrow though

I'd like to see us up against Donegal again to see if we have improved from last season

Anything can happen in football this time of year just ask Monaghan and Kerry

Up and at them Sunday
    Cavan4sam

Does winning tomorrow mean tier 1 championship next year?

It means we go into qualifiers if we lose in Ulster (:)) and not tier 2 competition.

There are rumours though that the GAA will bow to Covid pressure and drop the tier 2 comp next year after the stop-start nature of this year.

Well Caoimhin Reilly opted out too. As did Clarke, who is now back. There was a few others, im not sure if dropped or left. Dublin losing players is not comparable to Cavan, their replacements are as good

A panel of 40, but losing a few key starters would be a blow.

Well Caoimhin Reilly opted out too. As did Clarke, who is now back. There was a few others, im not sure if dropped or left. Dublin losing players is not comparable to Cavan, their replacements are as good

A panel of 40, but losing a few key starters would be a blow.

Reilly only played a bit part last year. Whatever the reasoning, he was there a couple of years and failed to hold down a regular starting position so, unlike the lads over on Hogan Stand, I wouldn’t be lamenting his loss as there are clearly issues other than his footballing ability. I’ve also heard the main reasoning for him opting out this year from people from the Bridge and Cavan are better off with committed played.

Every county, even the successful ones, lose players year on year.

We need to stop worrying to be honest about who is not on the panel and support those that are.

• Advertisement

I'm just making the point that it's a setback, when youre trying to build. It happens more in the lower Divisions then in Division 1. Down have players who won't comitt
    Monaghan very rarely lose many players.

Anyway good luck to Cavan tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Reilly only played a bit part last year. Whatever the reasoning, he was there a couple of years and failed to hold down a regular starting position so, unlike the lads over on Hogan Stand, I wouldn’t be lamenting his loss as there are clearly issues other than his footballing ability. I’ve also heard the main reasoning for him opting out this year from people from the Bridge and Cavan are better off with committed played.

Every county, even the successful ones, lose players year on year.

We need to stop worrying to be honest about who is not on the panel and support those that are.

I agree, focus on the panel & who has committed. There’s a tendency to talk up lads who aren’t around and there is an inverse relationship between a lad’s ability and his proximity to the panel!

That said, I think it’s grossly unfair to say O Reilly didn’t nail down a place. He made his explosive debut against Tipperary in 2017 (three years later and I am still trying to work our how we lost that game!!!) and the next year on division 2 he played pretty much every league game. Scored a goal against Clare within a few minutes of his league debut and put in some fine performances.

He didn’t seem to have an issue with his fitness but McGleenan hooked him every single game. It really did seem to get to him (would get to any young lad). I remember him looking incredibly frustrated being subbed at Croke park when him, McVeety and Bradley were causing the Rossies all sorts of problems. He was injured for most of last year and was only back on the panel for the semi final replay.

I’ve no idea about side issues, but they can’t be that bad. Mickey’s son plays for the Bridge so he would have a better idea than most and he still asked him in but O’Reilly wanted to focus on college. Fair enough.

Like others, wish him well, hope to see him back in blue, but he’s not there today so no point talking about him (like I’ve just done- can’t beat a Cavan man to effectively have a row with himself in his own post on boards!!!!)

. Yes.

And on today’s game, how is everyone feeling? I’m quietly confident. Down going in as favourites works well for us. Mickey will have us well set up, but it will be tight.

Different teams, but we played them 3 times in 2018 and while we won all, we could have as easily lost all 3. Down were very poor that year (got relegated if memory serves me?) but even still that night in Breffni in the league Ray Galligan was man of the match with 3 or 4 top class saves. Their full forwards absolutely tore us to shreds, but we did kick some good scores.

The back door game in the heatwave in Brewster was such a poor game and I was convinced that the lads had decided enough was enough of McGleenan & had thrown in the towel. We were atrocious. Down were coasting. Then within a flash, they committed football hari Kiri- red card and keeper error and all of a sudden the Cavan lads kicked on. Very bad tempered end to the game. It meant that a normally lifeless McKenna cup game was as feisty as could be. Conor Madden was class in that game.

Normally Cavan vs Down games are played in the best of fashion with mutual respect from the old guard of Ulster. I think today will be attritional and could be feisty. I know they have pace but not sure today’s conditions will suit nippy, light forwards. I think the team that can roll up it’s sleeves and win dirty ball and want the game more will come out on top. On that basis I am going for our lads to go out and do what is needed and a poachers goal from Martin Reilly or a fisted goal from Podge to give us a 2 point win.

Conor Madden back on the panel according to the digital programme.

https://ulster.gaa.ie/ulster-senior-football-championship-sf/

No Conor Smith or Stephen Murray unfortunately.

Conor Madden back on the panel according to the digital programme.

https://ulster.gaa.ie/ulster-senior-football-championship-sf/

No Conor Smith or Stephen Murray unfortunately.

What’s the story with both of them? (Apart from having really bad luck with injuries)

Murray played with the Gaels (in a limited capacity) but has he been back on the panel post Covid? He always has such a positive impact off the bench. Smith started against Kildare- did he come off injured?

What’s the story with both of them? (Apart from having really bad luck with injuries)

Murray played with the Gaels (in a limited capacity) but has he been back on the panel post Covid? He always has such a positive impact off the bench. Smith started against Kildare- did he come off injured?

Smith injured his hamstring in training on the Tuesday night after the Kildare game. Not sure about Murray.

Shocking start, they better wake up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Awful start, Ciaran Brady doesn't seem to be fit to run, awful miss by Pierson.Terrible referee decision to reward a mark inside the 45 for the goal.

Hammar wrote: »
    Awful start, Ciaran Brady doesn't seem to be fit to run, awful miss by Pierson.Terrible referee decision to reward a mark inside the 45 for the goal.

Where did they get this clown, he obviously doesn't know the advantage rule either. Was a goal on there.

• Advertisement

Clear dive by the Down defender bringing the ball out. We are not at the races but the ref isn’t helping matters

Advertisement