Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

It's terrible from cavan,Clarke and mckieran have
    been brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Thomas Galligan has made a big difference again.

Antrim are walking straight through the backline like every other team ..but they just can't score,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Another loose foot pass by Conroy leads to a stupid black card for Gerry Smith.
    No need to get a black card there.

2nd half has been a lot better,but you'd wonder is that because of Antrims conditioning, Another black card coming up...

• Advertisement

Conor Murray has caused serious problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Cavan have made this game so much harder than it needed to be.

Hopefully hold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Ok got the win. Onto the next one. Needs to be better against either down or fermanagh

Oisin Kiernan and Ciaran Brady were very good in my opinion. Thomas Galligan and Ted did very well also.Gearoid had a very good second half.. Still huge problems in the backline, we were cut open too many times again. Shot selection and execution in the first half was terrible. Good to win, but definitely one to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

tanko wrote: »
    Another loose foot pass by Conroy leads to a stupid black card for Gerry Smith.
    No need to get a black card there.

In fairness, Gerry should have had the ball himself and lost it. He panicked then and pulled the runner down.

Look it, all we needed today was to win and we did that. Win and avoid injuries.

At least now if it’s Down in the semi final they will be favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

OK better 2nd half, just good to get the win
    Discipline needs to improve big time
    Hopefully the extra days rest in the legs for Sunday week will improve the performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    OK better 2nd half, just good to get the win
    Discipline needs to improve big time
    Hopefully the extra days rest in the legs for Sunday week will improve the performance

Thought Timoney was solid. Holla much improved from last week. Thought McLoughlin did okay as well. Our first half was so bad, but as we all knew Antrim are not afraid of us (for good reason) and after last week the fear (justified) was we wouldn’t be up for it. We won, that was the main thing.

Thought Ted, Galligan and Murray did well coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Yevon wrote: »
    You more than likely won't be able to get BBC through a VPN. I use a paid VPN service and it still finds it hard sometimes, they're good at blocking VPNs. Are you in Ireland? If you're abroad you can pay for it on GAAGO. You might have a better chance of using GAAGO through a VPN and paying for the game.

I'm here all right, but not at home in Cavan today...no BBC where I am. A VPN worked grand, so I got to see it on the iPlayer (the VPN + GAAGO work around was my next option!)

We'll have to bring a lot more energy to next week's game. After the high of last week's win (which we're all still buzzing from tbh!) it was always going to be tricky today, especially against a team who don't fear us.

We should have stretched it a lot earlier, given the amount of ball we had. Keeping 15 on the field would've been handy too.
    Some decent, if unspectacular performances all the same though.

Maybe underperforming and still getting the win, will do no harm. We'll not lose the run of ourselves for the semi, which might have happened if we won at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭rrs

The discipline was poor. Killian Brady needlessly pulling down his man. Cavan lacked intensity, Cavan missed a few bad wides too but the Antrim wides were worse . The Antrim goal chance was probaly a big moment for them, as it looked a penalty.
    Cavan subs were very good making the impact you'd want from subs.

Timoney and Ciaran Brady are very calm at kicking scores running from deep.

rrs wrote: »
    The discipline was poor. Killian Brady needlessly pulling down his man. Cavan lacked intensity, Cavan missed a few bad wides too but the Antrim wides were worse . The Antrim goal chance was probaly a big moment for them, as it looked a penalty.
    Cavan subs were very good making the impact you'd want from subs.

Timoney and Ciaran Brady are very calm at kicking scores running from deep.

I didn’t think it was a penalty. A bit of a nudge from Faulkner but not a big push.

In fairness, I thought the ref was harsh on us. I thought Brady’s and Kiernan’s blacks were more yellow cards thank blacks.

It was a perfect performance though in some ways.
    1 Discipline now in question so will be focused on this week.
    2. Played poorly so Down will be strong favourites (if they beat Fermanagh).
    3. A lot of lads will want to improve next week.
    4. Don’t think we picked up any new injuries.

Both the commentators thought it was a pen too A nudge before he kicked.

Down have no form yet. They were well beaten by Louth in final league game. The Longford game was off due to Covid cases. . They are in Division 2 next year but that was based more on pre covid
    I think Fermangh wil give a good game in Brewster. Fermangh panel apparently stronger since league finished, with some players back who were missing out with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

He was pushed as he kicked it, it would have been soft but it could easily have been given, it was a let off for us. A goal for Antrim then would have put us in serious trouble. We were lucky they kicked some bad wides in the second half.

A lot of Cavan players don't look fully fit and we can't afford to play half the game next week with 14 men or we'll get punished.
    There won't be any complacency going into next week after that display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I wouldn't say they didn't look fit, you have to factor in the 90+ minutes in tough conditions last week

Both the commentators thought it was a pen too A nudge before he kicked.

Down have no form yet. They were well beaten by Louth in final league game. The Longford game was off due to Covid cases. . They are in Division 2 next year but that was based more on pre covid
    I think Fermangh wil give a good game in Brewster. Fermangh panel apparently stronger since league finished, with some players back who were missing out with covid.

If Thomas Niblock, that was referring to Antrim as “we” and constantly praising their blanket defence as if it was something revolutionary, thought it was a penalty, it must have been!

Down went up to Louth and rested most of their team by all accounts.
    tanko wrote: »
    A lot of Cavan players don't look fully fit and we can't afford to play half the game next week with 14 men or we'll get punished.
    There won't be any complacency going into next week after that display.

It was our conditioning got us through today. That we looked the fitter team, even after 90 minutes in energy sapping weather last week, while they had a nice week sitting at home, shows that.

We did look tired at times but I would have expected that. We’ve now played 4 weeks in a row.

We were also always going to be a bit flat. After the highs of last week, a game where we were on a hiding to nothing against blanket defence Antrim was always going to be tough.

Wee Martin McCugh did too. There would probaly have been calls if it happened with a Cavan player but there you go.

The Semi final will be 5th consecutive week playing for Cavan, fatigue could develop.

• Advertisement

Wee Martin McCugh did too. There would probaly have been calls if it happened with a Cavan player but there you go.

The Semi final will be 5th consecutive week playing for Cavan, fatigue could develop.

Ah here. Is that the first time people on here have watched a game on BBC NI? They are unashamedly biased for any of the teams in the 6 counties.

As for McHugh, did you hear him on Cavstream? He’d have you believe that the football on show was better than watching the Dubs vs Kerry. He knows his audience when he’s commentating.

It was never a penalty and not a single Antrim player was looking for it. There’s your answer!

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they didn't look fit, you have to factor in the 90+ minutes in tough conditions last week

Look, if anyone offered me a 4 point win before throw-in, I would have bitten their hands off.

We were coming off the back of playing a local derby in a gale force wind that went to extra time. After which we were being immediately talked about how we would fare against Donegal in an Ulster final against a team that has beaten us 5 out of our last 6 encounters.

Even though we played long periods of the 2nd half a man down, we still looked way fitter. Every league game we played this year we finished well (even that hiding against Armagh). It’s one thing we do well.

We won, we didn’t look like losing the game in the second half. Job done

They are based alright. The presenter is a dose, Sidebottom. And McHugh does excited..

All the same could have been given as a a pen. The Antrim players not looking for it means little . Not like they were right beside it to see it, like us watcing on tv.

Was hard to judge it from a refs view

Looking forward, hopefully Thomas Galligan came through alright,He will be crucial especially if it's Fermanagh, with Jones and Donnelly being a serious duo.James Smith must be doubtful for next weekend aswell seeing as he has a hamstring injury.

Hammar wrote: »
    Looking forward, hopefully Thomas Galligan came through alright,He will be crucial especially if it's Fermanagh, with Jones and Donnelly being a serious duo.James Smith must be doubtful for next weekend aswell seeing as he has a hamstring injury.

Can’t see him being back if it’s hamstring. I’d prefer to see Stephen Murray back though. Galligan has shown that we are in dire need of other players with a bit of penetration that run at defences.

I can see Mickeys ploy in not starting T Galligan. I found against Clare in the League when Murray and T Galligan had started we had nobody to spring from the bench and change the game.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Can’t see him being back if it’s hamstring. I’d prefer to see Stephen Murray back though. Galligan has shown that we are in dire need of other players with a bit of penetration that run at defences.

I can see Mickeys ploy in not starting T Galligan. I found against Clare in the League when Murray and T Galligan had started we had nobody to spring from the bench and change the game.

I see your viewpoint about the use of impact subs/ finishers, I just worry, one of these days, we will be far too far behind for them to have much impact. I could see Killian Clarke and Gearoid at centre field if it's Fermanagh,(Faulkner would be giving up 2/3 inches of height)

Id love to seek Ted getting a start but I know he has had a horrendous time with injuries and he may not be fit enough for the full 70, he looks so comfortable at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Ciaran Brady kicks a bad wide,

McHugh " Cavan need to work the ball to the shooters"

Ciaran Brady kicks a point 5 minutes later

McHugh "that's better by Cavan working the ball to their best shooters"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will both semi-finals be in Clones lads?

Ciaran Brady kicks a bad wide,

McHugh " Cavan need to work the ball to the shooters"

Ciaran Brady kicks a point 5 minutes later

McHugh "that's better by Cavan working the ball to their best shooters"

Similarly, after the game McConville was saying “Ciaran Brady not known for his scoring”. He was our top scorer in the league from centre half back two years ago & not far away again last year until he picked up a bad knock against Kerry. Such bluffers.

• Advertisement

Will both semi-finals be in Clones lads?

The Semi final venues not announced yet. The final isn't in Clones this year, because it has no floodlighting.
    Donegal v Armagh possibly in Healy Park Tyrone

Advertisement