Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

rrs wrote: »
    Hear a few reports that Conor McManus bulked up over the lockdown. Watching the clips from the Meath game he looks like a tank..

He's on fire, imagine Killian Brady trying to mark him.
    It's a pity Dublin Joe couldn't find some excuse to send him off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

tanko wrote: »
    He's on fire, imagine Killian Brady trying to mark him.
    It's a pity Dublin Joe couldn't find some excuse to send him off today.

Faulkner did a good job on him last year but he appears to be carrying a knock. I think he’ll have to go back in there again.

I’d be leaving him and Clarke and McLoughlin as the full back line. I had thought Cusack would get in as a man marker but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Faulkner did a good job on him last year but he appears to be carrying a knock. I think he’ll have to go back in there again.

I’d be leaving him and Clarke and McLoughlin as the full back line. I had thought Cusack would get in as a man marker but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Jeez I know where Clarke should be I dont think he is anywhere near fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭rrs

He's gone all hipster with the beard and manbun. I was surprised to to see Clarke back. The break over lockdown maybe got him eager to get back.

A few weeks County training since September, might not be enough for him against Monaghan.

4 ulster teams in Division 1 next year. Armagh persisted with McGeeney and now in Division 1. He's there 6 years, so had to deliver.
    Graham should get another and see can he improve things with a stronger panel..
    Under age Cavan haven't been doing well. The U20s were disappointing against Down earlier this year. It will be interesting to see who gets that job next year. Dara Mccarthy in for it.

It was some kick in the teeth for the players who have been training all year for a lad that was gassed after five minutes to walk into the team.
    And people wonder why lads don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    He's gone all hipster with the beard and manbun. I was surprised to to see Clarke back. The break over lockdown maybe got him eager to get back.

A few weeks County training since September, might not be enough for him against Monaghan.

4 ulster teams in Division 1 next year. Armagh persisted with McGeeney and now in Division 1. He's there 6 years, so had to deliver.
    Graham should get another and see can he improve things with a stronger panel..
    Under age Cavan haven't been doing well. The U20s were disappointing against Down earlier this year. It will be interesting to see who gets that job next year. Dara Mccarthy in for it.

Damien Donohoe got it.

A bit surprising. He managed the U16 a few years ago so maybe that was a help. Will he still continue co hosting We are Cavan alongside being manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

tanko wrote: »
    It was some kick in the teeth for the players who have been training all year for a lad that was gassed after five minutes to walk into the team.
    And people wonder why lads don't bother.

I thought the same he was nowhere near fit and G mc looked to be struggling too, I can't understand why they don't rotate him from full forward to midfield surely he's going to be some threat on the edge of the square and maybe rattled Beggan too
    Thomas galligan played well when introduced
    I'd be sticking faulkner on mc manus he's the only one we have that's physically strong enough to mark him
    Not holding out much hope for next week and just want this year to be done with, glad there's no qualifiers

celt262 wrote: »
    Jeez I know where Clarke should be I dont think he is anywhere near fit.

I don’t see how his fitness levels could be that bad as he has just played championship at midfield for Shercock.

I don’t know if the lads did heavy training last week but there has to be some reason they looked so far off the pace. I thought we were one of the only teams in Ireland with a full time S&C coach?

I don’t see how his fitness levels could be that bad as he has just played championship at midfield for Shercock.

I don’t know if the lads did heavy training last week but there has to be some reason they looked so far off the pace. I thought we were one of the only teams in Ireland with a full time S&C coach?

Well he didnt look fit Saturday maybe the training with Shercock isn't great or he was enjoying not been an inter county footballer a bit too much.

• Advertisement

Well he didnt look fit Saturday maybe the training with Shercock isn't great or he was enjoying not been an inter county footballer a bit too much.

Shercock are one of the fittest teams in the county. A lot of them have a grounding in athletics from the successful club up there.

County players have often said that Clarke & Clerkin would win any sprint race at training due to their athletics background.

I wouldn’t be Clarke’s biggest fan after he went on the media circuit but people seem to forget that before the last six to nine months off, there was a period of commitment from 2012 when he was still U21.

He got thrown into a qualifier at full back that year to try and mark Tommy O’Connor from Kildare.

Shercock are one of the fittest teams in the county. A lot of them have a grounding in athletics from the successful club up there.

County players have often said that Clarke & Clerkin would win any sprint race at training due to their athletics background.

I wouldn’t be Clarke’s biggest fan after he went on the media circuit but people seem to forget that before the last six to nine months off, there was a period of commitment from 2012 when he was still U21.

He got thrown into a qualifier at full back that year to try and mark Tommy O’Connor from Kildare.

I'm not doubting his commitment before this year, all I'm saying is he didnt seem to be fit Saturday.

His last competitive game for Cavan would have been in the hammering against Tyrone in qualifiers. That was July 2019. He might be a very athletic player, and played some Club football since that, but the intensity of County football is up a notch. The pace of Enda Smith was above anything Cavan had Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

The last time we looked that completely off the pace was the McKenna cup games at the end of December when we were supposed to be training insane amounts. So might be some truth in that.

In terms of Clarke’s recall, I prefer the idea that any player who opts in should be considered. That said, he looked so far off the pace that he should have been hooked at half time. I would have replaced him after he took a mark and kicked the call straight to one of the Rossies under zero pressure.

Right lads are we going to be watching this from behind the couch on Saturday?

I can see this going either of two ways and neither is a good result for Cavan.

1. Monaghan take control early on and proceed to give is a 12 pt + beating with our lads throwing the the towel early on similar to Tyrone last year.

2. Monaghan take control early on and proceed to run up a big lead and take the foot of the gas in the second half and we chip away at the lead and get it back to 4/5 points while kicking lots of wides.

TBH i dont think that they are that good either but probably have to much for us the way we have been playing.

A big win for Monaghan here could see MG handing in his notice.

Monaghan don't have the players to hand out a big win. They are a solid team with a marquee forward. I'd expect an improvement in Cavan, but Monaghan to come through by 2 or 3pts.

O Connell does a lot of damage from half back, whoever is picking him up will be kept busy. The Hughes brothers could be midfield, good players, Kieran Hughes prone to reacting, so maybe Cavan could test him..

James Smith should start inside with Galligan midfield. Cavan haven't had a goal threat in the last 2 game. More intensity needed this week, and more direct play.

Right lads are we going to be watching this from behind the couch on Saturday?

I can see this going either of two ways and neither is a good result for Cavan.

1. Monaghan take control early on and proceed to give is a 12 pt + beating with our lads throwing the the towel early on similar to Tyrone last year.

2. Monaghan take control early on and proceed to run up a big lead and take the foot of the gas in the second half and we chip away at the lead and get it back to 4/5 points while kicking lots of wides.

TBH i dont think that they are that good either but probably have to much for us the way we have been playing.

A big win for Monaghan here could see MG handing in his notice.

Yeah It’s hard to optimistic after last week, hope i’m wrong but i’m fearing the worst.
    They look light years ahead of us and are out for revenge after last year, i can’t see them easing up at any stage. Maybe bad weather will act as a leveller and keep it close enough.

Meath opened up Monaghan a few times last week. They can be got at. They were playing better football before lockdown. I watched the Kerry game and looked laboured in plenty of it

But they were playing Kerry, we were hopeless against Roscommons B team in a must win game.
    Looks like it’ll be very wet and very windy on Saturday, it’ll hardly be a classic no matter how it goes.

I fully expect a Monaghan win and I’d take a less than 3 point loss at this time as a bonus. As the We Are Cavan lads said on the podcast this week, these games have always been close over the years.

Banty has been up to his usual mind games telling the press that Cavan “embarrassed” Monaghan last year. I’m sure he’ll have a report and the best headline he can get pinned to the dressing room wall next Saturday.

I just hope Mickey has learned from his mistakes of the last two weeks.

Faulkner needs to be full back. Galligan needs to start in the middle. McKiernan shouldn’t start in the middle. If playing a sweeper, we need someone who actually knows the role. The team need to move the ball forward quickly and with a bit of urgency - there’s no point turning a team over and allowing them time to get into their defensive setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Not holding out much hope for Saturday but if there isn't a big kick out of our lads I'd be very shocked
    Monaghan are not as good as they are being talked up and I don't think we really are as bad as the last couple of games
    It would be an achievable target to get to an ulster final if somehow we managed to "embarrass" them again
    As an earlier poster said I'll be watching from behind the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From watching some of Cavan’s matches they give away a lot of needless free kicks in bad areas, Killian Clarke especially.
    If they cut this out and stop panicking in front of the opposition goal by taking wild shots then I’d give them a squeak.
    They will have to double up on Mc Manus because if they can stop him they’ll stop half of Monaghan’s threat. Big ask though.

For non sky subscribers, is there anyway to watch this game?

For non sky subscribers, is there anyway to watch this game?

I don’t believe so. It is on a free Sky channel though if you have Sky but don’t have Sports.

I don’t believe so. It is on a free Sky channel though if you have Sky but don’t have Sports.

Nope, don’t have Sky at all. Was told that Now TV do a one day pass for Sky sports for a tenner so that’s my best bet.

That Hogan Stand message board really should be shut down. Some of the utter crap they allow up on it is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

That Hogan Stand message board really should be shut down. Some of the utter crap they allow up on it is scandalous.

I liked the groundsman's team. Colin Gumley.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

It's pure nonsense talk constantly, is Gumley still playing for Ballinagh?

I liked the groundsman's team. Colin Gumley.

It made me laugh anyway, seven or eight of his team aren't even on the panel.

Cavan seem to have a huge problem in that lots of the better players in the county won't commit to the county team for whatever reasons and when some lads do commit they only stay for a year or two.
    Other counties don't seem to have this problem to the same extent, they have more settled squads and can build up fitness levels and playing systems over a few years.

• Advertisement

Nope, don’t have Sky at all. Was told that Now TV do a one day pass for Sky sports for a tenner so that’s my best bet.

You can get monthly passes aswell though you have to cancel it when months up it might be worth it for the next two months with lots of games!

Advertisement